Giant Slayer

• 1 month later...

Directly west of the Joko's Domain waypoint in Desolation is a plateau with three Giant veteran Brawlers. Their respawn time is insanely fast. Depending on how quickly you kill them, the first is generally back up when you have killed the third and you can just loop around killing them as long as you like.[&BFYKAAA=]

@lare.5129 said:people who worried slayer achievements compile it long time ago. Anyway that achievements one of part what complete my automatic, ofc if you not only stand in Lion Arch :)

But not the one for Giant's they are still to rare, just by not standing around, but never farming them I reached now around 80 (mostly the champs in Nageling/Diessa and Ourobone/Herathi Hinterland) in 8 years ;)

@Zaidya.6138 said:and what's the right way kharmin? ^^ Brisban Farm?

@mindcircus.1506 said:Directly west of the Joko's Domain waypoint in Desolation is a plateau with three Giant veteran Brawlers. Their respawn time is insanely fast. Depending on how quickly you kill them, the first is generally back up when you have killed the third and you can just loop around killing them as long as you like.[&BFYKAAA=]

I completed this prior to PoF, so these veteran giants weren't available. I don't think that they should count; makes this achievement too easy now.

@"Zaidya.6138" said:and what's the right way kharmin? ^^ Brisban Farm?

Back in the days before mega-servers groups would form to farm the giants at that Brisban event, and hop from server to server to kill as many as possible. They weren't even veterans, and you only needed to hit them once to get progress. Sadly, that "method" is no longer valid but the giants around POF do count and since they are veterans it is now a much more doable achievement.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@mindcircus.1506 said:Directly west of the Joko's Domain waypoint in Desolation is a plateau with three Giant veteran Brawlers. Their respawn time is insanely fast. Depending on how quickly you kill them, the first is generally back up when you have killed the third and you can just loop around killing them as long as you like.[&BFYKAAA=]

I completed this prior to PoF, so these veteran giants weren't available. I don't think that they should count; makes this achievement too easy now.Weird flex but ok.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

I completed this prior to PoF, so these veteran giants weren't available. I don't think that they should count; makes this achievement too easy now.Weird flex but ok.

Even weirder if you consider the fact that the event scaled. With more giants spawning if there are more players. Which means if we follow that argument it should only count if you are soloing the event.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

Back in the days before mega-servers groups would form to farm the giants at that Brisban event, and hop from server to server to kill as many as possible. They weren't even veterans, and you only needed to hit them once to get progress. Sadly, that "method" is no longer valid but the giants around POF do count and since they are veterans it is now a much more doable achievement.

It is viable if you can gather enough people. ;)

With 30+ people(according to wiki) you get 6 giants per event. That should be around 2.5 minutes per giant.With enough people you can force new instances to spawn and increase efficiency.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Even weirder if you consider the fact that the event scaled. With more giants spawning if there are more players. Which means if we follow that argument it should only count if you are soloing the event.It's probably a good thing that the developers decide what counts towards achievements and not @kharmin.7683 .

@mindcircus.1506 said:

Even weirder if you consider the fact that the event scaled. With more giants spawning if there are more players. Which means if we follow that argument it should only count if you are soloing the event.It's probably a good thing that the developers decide what counts towards achievements and not @kharmin.7683 .

Meh. Point was that before PoF the achievement felt more like an achievement. /shrug

@kharmin.7683 said:

Meh. Point was that before PoF the achievement felt more like an achievement. /shrug

That you get so little for, i would agree if it was worth 100 AP and a title, but it isnt.

@Dante.1763 said:

That you get so little for, i would agree if it was worth 100 AP and a title, but it isnt.

Agreed. It was such a disappointment for so difficult an achievement at the time. Heck, a title would have been nice.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Meh. Point was that before PoF the achievement felt more like an achievement. /shrugAnyone who map completed Verdant Brink before mounts understands that there was a massive difference between 100%ing the map then and now.But in all my time playing I have never seen anyone attempting to invalidate the accomplishment of a newer player by saying "You used a Griffon, you shouldn't get your Gift of the Fleet".That would be pure gatekeeping.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Agreed. It was such a disappointment for so difficult an achievement at the time. Heck, a title would have been nice.

You knew what you were going to get when you started. What is there to be disappointed about?

@mindcircus.1506 said:

Meh. Point was that before PoF the achievement felt more like an achievement. /shrugAnyone who map completed Verdant Brink before mounts understands that there was a massive difference between 100%ing the map then and now.But in all my time playing I have never seen anyone attempting to invalidate the accomplishment of a newer player by saying "You used a Griffon, you shouldn't get your Gift of the Fleet".That would be pure gatekeeping.

Sadly I have seen a lot of people saying just that. Though strangely they go silent when I point out that I did 100% world completion at release when there were no mounts or gliding and you had to grab every POI, vista, and HP in each WvW map, so if they want to revert things to how they used to be where map completion "felt more like an accomplishment", I'm fine with that. They want things reverted to the moment they did something, not reverted further back where they'd have had to put in more time or work. It's a good thing that they didn't have to walk uphill both ways to school but it's bad that nowadays kids can ride a bus to and from school.

Making things easier, faster, or otherwise improving something for people isn't bad. Everyone ends up benefiting and, both in video games and in life, the newer generation will have an easier time of certain things because that's how things go. To keep things "equal" is to embrace stagnation and stagnation doesn't keep a video game going.

@Zephire.8049 said:

Sadly I have seen a lot of people saying just that. Though strangely they go silent when I point out that I did 100% world completion at release when there were no mounts or gliding and you had to grab every POI, vista, and HP in each WvW map, so if they want to revert things to how they used to be where map completion "felt more like an accomplishment", I'm fine with that. They want things reverted to the moment they did something, not reverted further back where they'd have had to put in more time or work. It's a good thing that they didn't have to walk uphill both ways to school but it's bad that nowadays kids can ride a bus to and from school.

Making things easier, faster, or otherwise improving something for people isn't bad. Everyone ends up benefiting and, both in video games and in life, the newer generation will have an easier time of certain things because that's how things go. To keep things "equal" is to embrace stagnation and stagnation doesn't keep a video game going.

Mounts help a lot more with AB than VB anyway. Once you've learned how to get around.

@"Zephire.8049" said:Sadly I have seen a lot of people saying just that. Though strangely they go silent when I point out that I did 100% world completion at release when there were no mounts or gliding and you had to grab every POI, vista, and HP in each WvW map, so if they want to revert things to how they used to be where map completion "felt more like an accomplishment", I'm fine with that. They want things reverted to the moment they did something, not reverted further back where they'd have had to put in more time or work. It's a good thing that they didn't have to walk uphill both ways to school but it's bad that nowadays kids can ride a bus to and from school.That is indeed crappy. It's pretty toxic to say "your achievement should not count" when someone plays by the rules to get it. Especially true with things like map completing Verdant Brink or getting Giant Slayer, or world completing that still take a fair bit of time and effort to do.I often see "hey be glad you didn't get the Gift of Exploration years ago when you had to complete all the wvw maps"I've not heard "Your achievement should not count".I may have done 100% on VB many times before mounts. I still smile and say grats when someone pings a Gift of the Fleet. It's still hard. Still takes time and effort. Just as getting Giant Slayer can.

@kharmin.7683 said:Meh. Point was that before PoF the achievement felt more like an achievement. /shrug

Given how you could do it easily by farming the brisban event and using multiple servers, I wouldn't say it felt more like an achievement before.Plus as @Khisanth.2948 said you can still use the old method, although it's not as efficient as without mega servers.

• 2 weeks later...