Friendly reminder for all, especially new/newer players

Pax.8692

It's relatively cheap to alter the stats on ascended gear. I don't think it's necessary to save the chests, at all. Especially since we only have a vague report on the expansion being worked on. At best, it's many months away, but could even be a full year or two. We don't know.

Additional note for new and returning players: ascended chests don't drop everywhere, and the drop rates are higher in some places than others so your chances of getting them depend on what you play. If you're wondering why you've never gotten any ascended chests to save that may well be why.

From the Wiki:

• Defeating Tequatl the Sunless has a small chance to reward players with a Tequatl's Hoard or an Ascended armor or weapon chest, from the Exotic Dragon Chest which is only obtainable once daily.
  • Completing Triple Trouble has a small chance to reward players with a Pile of Regurgitated Armor (head, shoulders, or hands only) or an Ascended armor chest from the Great Jungle Wurm Chest. Only lootable once daily.
  • Daily Fractal chests have a small chance of rewarding an Ascended armor or weapon chest.
  • Raid bosses have a chance to drop a unique armor box (e.g. Chest of Slothasor Gloves or Chest of Sabetha's Armor) or weapon. Only available once per kill weekly.
  • World versus World rank up rewards.
  • Reward track loot boxes.
  • Guild missions.
  • Very small chance from Champion loot bags.
  • Sunken Chests have a very small chance to contain Diver's Breather Box (aquatic breather only).
  • Mistborn Coffers in Dragonfall have a small chance to contain Gift of Aurene (one gift is guaranteed to drop once per account within the first 1000 coffers opened).

If you're playing those areas of the game regularly you're more likely to get ascended equipment than someone who focuses on the story or other meta-events or whatever. I think I've had 4 or 5 ascended drops in total (with over 5,000 hours in-game) but that's not surprising because most of the time I'm doing things where my chances of getting an ascended drop are zero.

Also don't forget you can change the stats on existing ascended equipment, which might help with re-purposing stuff you've already got: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing