Looking Ahead to Spring, Summer, and the Future

imma give some hopeful feedback:

new race: tengu

• they have a capital city IN core tyria and its veiled in mystery
  • long wanted playable race since gw1

elite specs: thief (assassin) - revenant? (ritualist)-i think youre gonna have to make dagger dagger for assassin be a different set of skills than core thief, effectively overriding them. because theres no way you can make an assassin and not have dagger dagger

-for ritualist, i think youre gonna have to give them 2 weapons: scepter and focus. a scepter with any normal rev offhand would be really odd. if not that, you can do the thing from thief and just make staff abilities different when youre in the ritualist spec. oh and their spirit would OBVIOUSLY be master togo

OR new weapons completely but tbh i highly doubt that because you would have to create new skins and new skills for all professions

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"nargilli.6987" said:Well ok, nice to have as a summer festival the "Dragon Bash" again among us (even in a winter map and without a dragon slain) but the real summer festival was supposed to be the "Festival of the Four Winds", what about it?

It should show up in July, which is the first month of the third quarter. This announcement primarily focuses on the second quarter.

@"nargilli.6987" said:Well ok, nice to have as a summer festival the "Dragon Bash" again among us (even in a winter map and without a dragon slain) but the real summer festival was supposed to be the "Festival of the Four Winds", what about it?

We usually get two festivals in the Summer now as we did last year. One in June and another going into August which is the next quarter

Honestly, great news. But I'm still on the edge how I feel about this game. I played for ~7years and now me and my friends kind of fell out of love with the game (no real balance/power creep, no big new content etc). This announcement in combination with recent balancing gives me hope and I will at least keep an eye on the game. Now we need the alliance system and the future might actually look promising.

@Varg Vikernes.7582 said:the question is....WHEN?

I don't see it coming till 5 years later... if the world doesn't end by then.

Icebrood Saga is just ramping up with the latest episode, and unless they are prematurely ending Icebrood which is going to be a waste, they shouldn't be working on Cantha anytime soon.

I'll give Anet credit for making nice Expansions chock full of content, and usually it takes even the best studio 3 - 4 years to finish an Expansion and release it.I just hope that Anet is ALLOWED to take their time with the expansion after wrapping up Icebrood Saga, because this is their one chance to win over all current and past players with one big amazing Expansion.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Anthonev.6452 said:So, nothing about WvW then, I guess Alliances is now a dead idea.

Absolutely no need to repeat the same thing over and over again. This was about new and upcoming stuff, not something we already knew about.

We already knew the festivals where coming, yet they repeated that and given that its been like 2 years since Alliances was first mentioned and next to nothing more said about it in almost a year, I hardly call that repeating the same thing over and over.

@Yasai.3549 said:

Icebrood Saga is just ramping up with the latest episode, and unless they are prematurely ending Icebrood which is going to be a waste, they shouldn't be working on Cantha anytime soon.

I'll give Anet credit for making nice Expansions chock full of content, and usually it takes even the best studio 3 - 4 years to finish an Expansion and release it.I just hope that Anet is
ALLOWED
to take their time with the expansion after wrapping up Icebrood Saga, because this is their one chance to win over all current and past players with one big amazing Expansion.

It does not take 3-4 years to make an expansion. More like 1-2 years.

@WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

I'll give Anet credit for making nice Expansions chock full of content, and usually it takes even the best studio 3 - 4 years to finish an Expansion and release it.I just hope that Anet is
ALLOWED
to take their time with the expansion after wrapping up Icebrood Saga, because this is their one chance to win over all current and past players with one big amazing Expansion.

It does not take 3-4 years to make an expansion. More like 1-2 years.

Yeah, Path of Fire came 23 months after Heart of Thorns so it took about 2 years of active development. With that in mind my guess is that we can expect it somewhere between Q4 2022 and Q2 2023.

@"Astralporing.1957" said:It's interesting seeing this change in development direction, when you couple it with this:https://massivelyop.com/2020/03/13/ncsoft-arenanet-vp-of-marketing-left-guild-wars-2-for-wargaming/I wonder, if Mike Z leaving had anything to do with it.

Wowsers... sounds so intense.

Does this mean Icebrood Saga will end before summer/June?

That is wonderful news. I cannot wait to see a whole GW2 project. I hope every improvements (system, story telling etc) from all release to date are put into this expansion. Please take your time Anet! Art cannot be rushed! Show those who say that this game is in "maintenance mode" how much more there is to offer. I cannot wait.

I think in order to call this an expansion there are a few things that it will have to have:

• Elite Specializations - I realize that this will probably cause additional difficulties with balance but this has been much asked for and very notably lacking in LS4 & Saga
  • Central Development Theme - in HoT the theme was the new framework for progression: Masteries, Elite Specs & Guild Halls. In PoF the central focus was mounts. This new Expac will need a central something for development whether that be housing, content hubs or something entirely different. I'm not a fan of the idea of housing but whatever they do it will need to be as compelling, as exciting as they were able to make mounts in PoF.
  • New Race (Perhaps) - there has been a lot of demand for Tengu & Largos as playable races. This is Anet's opportunity to include those. That said, all the reasons that they haven't introduced a new race yet probably will cause the same problems here.

Everything else they have been able to do already as "expansion like content." Of course we will see more of that same kind of content whenever this releases, but these three things are what will distinguish an expansion from expansion like content.

@doogal.9368 said:

@"Astralporing.1957" said:It's interesting seeing this change in development direction, when you couple it with this:
I wonder, if Mike Z leaving had anything to do with it.

Wowsers... sounds so intense.

Does this mean Icebrood Saga will end before summer/June?

No. It will likely be 8 episodes (9 if HoM doesn't get a scroll) spaced roughly two months apart on average. With festivals and other potential things that will delay it from being exactly every two months, it'd be Spring/Summer 2021 at the earliest. Given how long it has been estimate to have taken them to develop the previous two expansions, Q1 2022 if probably a safer bet although they could probably push for Q4 2021.

I'm going to assume that there will be another Living Story season to set up the expansion.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:No. It will likely be 8 episodes (9 if HoM doesn't get a scroll) spaced roughly two months apart on average. With festivals and other potential things that will delay it from being exactly every two months, it'd be Spring/Summer 2021 at the earliest. Given how long it has been estimate to have taken them to develop the previous two expansions, Q1 2022 if probably a safer bet although they could probably push for Q4 2021.

I'm going to assume that there will be another Living Story season to set up the expansion.There are 9 slots in the portal tome

1. Grothmar Valley(Bound by Blood)
  2. Bjora Marches east(Whisper in the Dark)
  3. Bjora Marches west(Shadow in the Ice)The rest are unused as of yet.

There will be 8 episodes, since BbB was a prologue, if the HoT doesn't get its own scroll, 7 if it does.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:No. It will likely be 8 episodes (9 if HoM doesn't get a scroll) spaced roughly two months apart on average. With festivals and other potential things that will delay it from being exactly every two months, it'd be Spring/Summer 2021 at the earliest. Given how long it has been estimate to have taken them to develop the previous two expansions, Q1 2022 if probably a safer bet although they could probably push for Q4 2021.

I'm going to assume that there will be another Living Story season to set up the expansion.There are 9 slots in the portal tome
  1. Grothmar Valley(Bound by Blood)
  2. Bjora Marches east(Whisper in the Dark)
  3. Bjora Marches west(Shadow in the Ice)The rest are unused as of yet.

There will be 8 episodes, since BbB was a prologue, if the HoT doesn't get its own scroll, 7 if it does.

Does Bjora Marches take up two slots? You can't choose East Bjora Marches or West Bjora Marches as separate destinations so I don't see any real need for them to be separate.

That said, I don't know what happens if someone has only one of the two episodes unlocked, can they still explore the whole map?