Why the demand for *more* e-specs?

Aside from balancing issues, it just seems like everyone wants to be able to play with every weapon without playing with every weapon. This just leads to homogenization of classes, and you just have to look at WoW to see why you wouldn’t want that. Pretty much everyone will be able to do everything, and that kills class identity. Oh, but you want “just one more”? Sure, I believe you.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each weapon for each class is unique though. Dagger on Ele is not the same as dagger on Thief or Warrior as Spellbreaker. It's fine because they are tied to the spec.

The thing is they change the gameplay of a class, which is impossible otherwise, keeping the class and the game as a whole fresh.

@Mortifera.6138 said:Aside from balancing issues, it just seems like everyone wants to be able to play with every weapon without playing with every weapon. This just leads to homogenization of classes, and you just have to look at WoW to see why you wouldn’t want that. Pretty much everyone will be able to do everything, and that kills class identity. Oh, but you want “just one more”? Sure, I believe you.

Also, Gw2 is very friendly to multi-char i just create new toon.

@kharmin.7683 said:I think it is because players are bored with the current specs.

This.

@mindcircus.1506 said:Elite specs represent a fundamental difference in the way as class is played. To say that the only difference is the weapon is myopic. They are the single biggest thing that gives this game replay value to me.

and this.

Obviously should there be a new e-spec (3 seems like a good point to stop, 2 just seems unfinished) other measures would have to be thought of how to introduce variety and class development in the future. Also so far, the elite specs have very unique play styles which change how a class is played, even with the class its self. Far more than many of the current WoW classes, where there is quite a lot of overlap in game play (both with the same class as well as between different classes).

Balance wise it will be impossible to balance. Not sure what the devs are going to do there. Certain limitations for competitive modes might be needed, or a stronger return to a rock-paper-scissor type of system (strait off the top of my head, certain elites might gain direct benefit versus other elite specialization for example).

well if they find a way to add some novelty to every class without new elite specs, i'm happy. i do know it's a lot of work to create 9 of them with each new expac.i'm personally not very interested, to me Daredevil is just want I want with my thief, and i doubt I'll get another one I enjoy more. but i know others want them. the same way i don't care for cantha but im happy to get it because others want it too.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:I think it is because players are bored with the current specs.

Then make an alt. It’s like saying you’re bored of thinking in chess games. Plus, there are updates to skills every few months.

I have 30 characters, play nearly every build. I'd still like new ways to play classes. The PoF elites made the variety a lot bigger.

I thought you were asking WHY people were in favor of new elites, not dictating to them how they should feel or play? The question was answered.

Because it give more skills and mechanic which open up more buildsExhibit A: Scrapper healer!Sure you can heal as core but you won't provide dmg reduction/cleanse condition constantly with Gyro to teammatesExpansions add new things to fresh up the game and Elite Specs are one of it biggest main attraction.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@mindcircus.1506 said:Elite specs represent a fundamental difference in the way as class is played. To say that the only difference is the weapon is myopic. They are the single biggest thing that gives this game replay value to me.

New weapon implies new skills, though...

Which is supports his point even MORE. ... and making alts doesn't do anything for you because alts aren't new ways to play a class. It's just more of the same class.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Which is supports his point even MORE. ... and making alts doesn't do anything for you because alts aren't new ways to play a class. It's just more of the same class.

So you believe that especs are different from each other more than classes are different from other classes... I disagree.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

So you believe that especs are different from each other more than classes are different from other classes... I disagree.

I think you misunderstand ... even if you roll alts in other classes, that doesn't extinguish people's desire to play a specific class in a different way. That's the appeal of especs. If picking a class was a meaningless choice, then you would have something there.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@"mindcircus.1506" said:Elite specs represent a fundamental difference in the way as class is played. To say that the only difference is the weapon is myopic. They are the single biggest thing that gives this game replay value to me.

DURR, I was talking about the skills that come with the weapons, too.

If you think the only difference between scrapper and engineer is the hammer and it's skills, the only difference between guardian and firebrand is the axe, the only difference between thief and daredevil is the staff....I mean I get there's no "wrong" way to play the game... but if you think these things you playing it as close to wrong as is possible.