Wrong Expansion?

So I have been keeping up with the expansions from the beginning. but recently my kids decided they wanted to play so they both started out on the F2P version. The other day their aunt found the "new expansion" at a store and got them each a copy. When she dropped them off I found out that she had purchased two brand new in plastic versions of HoT I know HoT is now included either in the base game or PoF but not sure which. So with all that said can someone tell me if there is anything to be achieved by adding keys to the F2P version of the game?

HoT is included with the PoF expansion not the base game.

I am pretty sure that if you add those HoT keys to your kids F2P accounts then along with them getting to play HoT they will also get their F2P accounts upgraded to full accounts removing their current F2P restrictions and giving them some additional character and bag slots as well.They will still need Living world Season 2 to experience the story between the base game and HoT though and likewise living world season 3 to experience the story between HoT and PoF but those can all be bought with in game gold via the gold to gem conversion that will become available to your kids when their F2P accounts get upgraded to full accounts.

So I see no reason at all why you shouldn't add those keys to their accounts :)

Separate HoT keys are practically still worth a shared account slot and a Black Lion Instant Level 80 Ticket. So even if they later purchase PoF, they'll still get some extra from those HoT keys. I also think HoT is fantastic, so taking their time to experience it the proper way is also a plus in my books.

(Where did she find copies of HoT?)

@"tatte.5389" said:Separate HoT keys are practically still worth a shared account slot and a Black Lion Instant Level 80 Ticket. So even if they later purchase PoF, they'll still get some extra from those HoT keys. I also think HoT is fantastic, so taking their time to experience it the proper way is also a plus in my books.

(Where did she find copies of HoT?)

I agree with the OP, about "the proper way." Most ppl (and rightly so) will advice you, that by purchasing POF and aquiring the mount, will make HOT, much easier--however, what makes HOT so engaging, is working your masteries up so you can complete the maps. I know its subjective, but mounts really do 'waterdown' HOT/Core Tyria--I don't recommend.

It would have been better to purchase PoF, which would have added HoT for free, but I guess it's too late for that now.

But as stated before, adding any of the three campaigns (core, HoT, Pof) to a f2p account will turn it into a full-fledged account (don't recall how many hours or days exactly it takes for the switch to be fully implemented and the account to be upgraded, or if that happens immediately, as I never had a f2p account; there might be a few restrictions still to the account for a couple of days, I think).

@"Ashantara.8731" said:But as stated before, adding any of the three campaigns (core, HoT, Pof) to a f2p account will turn it into a full-fledged account (don't recall how many hours or days exactly it takes for the switch to be fully implemented and the account to be upgraded, or if that happens immediately, as I never had a f2p account; there might be a few restrictions still to the account for a couple of days, I think).

I'm nitpicking for no good reason, sorry, but I don't know what you refer to as a full-fledged account. Core for e.g. doesn't have access to masteries, so I wouldn't stamp it with such a term. It's also the least valuable upgrade as nothing it unlocks adds to what you get with any other purchase, nor does it unlock additional story to what F2P has access to.

According to the Wiki the TP restrictions (what most people probably care the most about) take five days to lift (I could have sworn it was three days, but :shrug:).

@tatte.5389 said:I'm nitpicking for no good reason, sorry, but I don't know what you refer to as a full-fledged account.

The opposite of a f2p account. One without restrictions. Free-to-play accounts have restrictions:https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230165307-Guild-Wars-2-Account-Types-Free-Core-HoT-PoF

@tatte.5389 said:Core for e.g. doesn't have access to masteries, so I wouldn't stamp it with such a term.

Additional features that come with each campaign are a different pair of shoes. But you are free to use the term differently than I do, of course. ;)

@"Ashantara.8731" said:The opposite of a f2p account. One without restrictions. -- But you are free to use the term differently than I do, of course.Fair enough I guess, I just hope no one stumbling across an ancient copy (like OP's aunt) doesn't go and buy one, recalling it's "full-fledged" and "without restrictions" from some online comment. Getting into the game is muddy enough. o.o