Squad merging to troll people

paddystar.2879

HelloMost of us have heard of it already, but it is possible to merge a group with a squad which will result in the teammembers being kicked out of the fractal instance.Today i have been griefed by this method, while our group has cleared the Reactor fractal and was waiting at the boss for the 5th person in lfg.

An easy hotfix for this (temporarily) would be disabling squadmerging for a group. People would still be able to join squads and a group would just need to leave its current group to rejoin a squad together. This is badly needed as the griefer i have encountered has done this to many groups in lfg (discription of lfg were already things like "screw the merger").

A better solution is having to accept a squadmerge, since squadmerges are a nice mechanic but the current griefing in lfg has made opening LFG while in an instance a scary thing to do.

Also i would like to remind that this thread is not about nameshaming, i myself have screenshots of people admitting it and telling me they are "untouchable", but lets keep the discussion civil and if you have any names / screenshots post them to the support.

• Like 1

Thanks for creating this thread, you saved me some time B)This "lfg bombing" is definitely a huge issue and it was raised multiple times, on both reddit and the old forums. Anet seems to be aware of it as a dev made a post that he'd look into this.

I (and probably many others) am curious if there are any updates concerning this problem.Can someone give an update, please? Something like

• "We're still looking into it"
  • "We'll fix this in near future"
  • "We won't fix this in near future"
  • etc.

Another question regarding this topic:What happens if we report people abusing the lfg feature with the intent to harm or provoke others (as mentioned above and below)? Does this warrant a ban or is this something which doesn't fall into any of those categories you get banned/reprimanded for?

For further reference:

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:This has been moved to the top of my priority list, and I am investigating code solutions as we speak. I have contacted CS but I can't comment on if any action that would be taken against the perpetrators, both because I don't know, and because it isn't for me to say.

Thank you VERY much. I have yet to be a victim of these malicious players, but I'm grateful for putting this issue at the top of your priority list so no one else will suffer in the future (once the fix is made). :)

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:This has been moved to the top of my priority list, and I am investigating code solutions as we speak. I have contacted CS but I can't comment on any action that would be taken against the perpetrators, both because I don't know, and because it isn't for me to say.

Thanks for the update and for keeping us posted.

Can't wait to see a fix on this, it's been such a pain! Even in regular PvE. Happily running around with a group, to suddenly have a squad size doubled, with half of it on a different map entirely, and everyone not in the new portion of the group getting kicked out, to have to reform in our instance. It really throws a wrench in the gears.

@Parlance.9584 said:Ive never understood why the party system in this game doesnt work like the ones in every single other MMO.i.e only the leader and the people the leader assigns can make any changes to the party.

It used to back when the game came out, at some point it got changed, though i cant remember the reason for it.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Parlance.9584 said:Ive never understood why the party system in this game doesnt work like the ones in every single other MMO.i.e only the leader and the people the leader assigns can make any changes to the party.

It used to back when the game came out, at some point it got changed, though i cant remember the reason for it.

That's, ironically, because a number of leaders ended up enjoying their power too much. Besides trolling and power trips, there were also some common problems associated with the old model - the main one was that party often had to quit and restart if something happened to the party leader (and in some cases even a simple dc could kick everyone from the instance).

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

That's, ironically, because a number of leaders ended up enjoying their power too much. Besides trolling and power trips, there were also some common problems associated with the old model - the main one was that party often had to quit and restart if something happened to the party leader (and in some cases even a simple dc could kick everyone from the instance).

To add on to this, it also made it a lot easier for the party leader to arbitrarily kick someone they did not like, wanted to replace with a friend/guildmate, or they simply thought were not skilled enough. By making it more of a democracy, it decreased a lot of party griefing/abuse. It still exists, but a lot less now.

The current system is supposed to be more social and make you play together rather than have a leader pull all of the strings. There was also the issue with kicking everyone from the instance if the leader left. Besides, It worked well enough up to this point.Squads went back to a more basic system with a commander and possible officers. It was having both of them in the game that seems to cause these issues. I hope it will get fixed soon.

@Astralporing.1957 said:That's, ironically, because a number of leaders ended up enjoying their power too much. Besides trolling and power trips, there were also some common problems associated with the old model - the main one was that party often had to quit and restart if something happened to the party leader (and in some cases even a simple dc could kick everyone from the instance).Well they should probably make it a vote-based system where the entire party gets to vote on things like merges and such, then it'd be pretty fair. Kicking the leader should be impossible though.

@paddystar.2879 said:HelloMost of us have heard of it already, but it is possible to merge a group with a squad which will result in the teammembers being kicked out of the fractal instance.Today i have been griefed by this method, while our group has cleared the Reactor fractal and was waiting at the boss for the 5th person in lfg.

An easy hotfix for this (temporarily) would be disabling squadmerging for a group. People would still be able to join squads and a group would just need to leave its current group to rejoin a squad together. This is badly needed as the griefer i have encountered has done this to many groups in lfg (discription of lfg were already things like "screw the merger").

A better solution is having to accept a squadmerge, since squadmerges are a nice mechanic but the current griefing in lfg has made opening LFG while in an instance a scary thing to do.

Also i would like to remind that this thread is not about nameshaming, i myself have screenshots of people admitting it and telling me they are "untouchable", but lets keep the discussion civil and if you have any names / screenshots post them to the support.

Just had this happen 2x in a row on Ensolyss @ 33%. Wasted almost my entire morning before work. Please fix.

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@paddystar.2879 said:HelloMost of us have heard of it already, but it is possible to merge a group with a squad which will result in the teammembers being kicked out of the fractal instance.Today i have been griefed by this method, while our group has cleared the Reactor fractal and was waiting at the boss for the 5th person in lfg.

Just had this happen 2x in a row on Ensolyss @ 33%. Wasted almost my entire morning before work. Please fix.

I'm sorry this has happened. I have a fix that will ship with PoF.

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

I'm sorry this has happened. I have a fix that will ship with PoF.

OMG, our Hero!

Something similar happen to me, LFG abuse, a while ago. We were doing fractals, there was this guy constantly AFK and i said hurry because it was already to much. Anyway he was all insulting and such, no big deal i dont mind. Problem is the other 4 were all friends and they allowed me to continue the fractal all good. At the end when the boss was 1% they kicked me out. I wasted my time, no reward no nothing, that is the worse troll and thing that have ever happen to me in GW2. Sadly i think GW2 is getting a little too toxic. I reported them for LFG abuse but i bet anet didnt even send them a warning but i dont know.

@"Esprit Dumort.3109" said:To add on to this, it also made it a lot easier for the party leader to arbitrarily kick someone they did not like, wanted to replace with a friend/guildmate, or they simply thought were not skilled enough. By making it more of a democracy, it decreased a lot of party griefing/abuse. It still exists, but a lot less now.

I would say it exists even more in abundance then before. Since raids replaced dungeons as pve endgame, this behavior is arguably even worse with squads bc of how much control one person has over their squad. The last thing i would say of a raid environment is that it is a democracy.. i don't think anyone would say that tbh.

In terms of such behavior happening before hot though, it happened but rarely i would say. I had it happen a few times at last boss, didn't bother me much though. I remember once we were doing TA dungeon and there was a heated argument between me and one other person.. the atmosphere was pretty tense come last boss. Then something unexpected came, when boss was at 1% the person said something like 'thanks for the dps!" and vote kicked me. I would assume it was a friend or a guild run group, bc the kick happened instantaneously.

I actually glad this not happen a lot anymore (with fractal/dungeon groups). A few days back I was doing mai trin t4, i was playing bad on purpose cos i didnt feel like trying. one aother guy vote-kicked me halfway thru fight, but no one else accept. after we finish kill boss and we disband he's whisper me like 'you are a terrible warrior, don't play this game again'. I thought it was hilarious lol.. and also glad that i don't get kicked cos of one person opinion in fotm (unless they backed by friends).