Mystery: Analysis of Mister E

De Bourgogne.9642

I Hope Mister E is finally revealed in the next episode/release.

If E is just a ghost that controlls the human politics using a magic pool of water and the post office... That would be disapponting at least for me.

But the real problem is that Arenanet has created a great mistery with E, and the people that write the story today is not the same that create the character, so E is in danger of never be mentioned again.

For Me, E Will be always be Caudecus Daugther.

@vier.1327 said:I Hope Mister E is finally revealed in the next episode/release.

If E is just a ghost that controlls the human politics using a magic pool of water and the post office... That would be disapponting at least for me.

But the real problem is that Arenanet has created a great mistery with E, and the people that write the story today is not the same that create the character, so E is in danger of never be mentioned again.

Isn't she dead..?

@Randulf.7614 said:

@vier.1327 said:I Hope Mister E is finally revealed in the next episode/release.

Isn't she dead..?

Anda that is why E has not ver appeared again, because she is dead.

@vier.1327 said:

Isn't she dead..?

She doesn't really have the motive to care about Lions Arch assassination. She is very occupied with her mommy issues.

Also E does not know letter about assassination comes from Caudecus and her daughter should surely recognise fathers hand writing.

You previously believed it is Lady Wi which seems much more likely to me. What made you change your mind that it is Caudecus' daughter?

@McPero.3287 said:

Isn't she dead..?

She doesn't really have the motive to care about Lions Arch assassination. She is very occupied with her mommy issues.

Also E does not know letter about assassination comes from Caudecus and her daughter should surely recognise fathers hand writing.

You previously believed it is Lady Wi which seems much more likely to me. What made you change your mind that it is Caudecus' daughter?

After i did the order of whisper story and see the mesmer abilities pf Lady Wi, i though she is E, and is the number one posibility and the one with more probablities. Also, her daugther is near Caudecus so could be the perfect spy in the white mantle.

Logicaly speaking, Lady Wi should be E.

But later, i though in Demmi as a character that could be much more.

And how could she pay for the sins of her father already being dead? Being E this all time.

She has the political conections and the order of whisper resources.

But, if i would have to bet, i Will put all my money on Lady Wi. Demmi is just my Romantic way of seing the mistery.

@vier.1327 said:

Isn't she dead..?

After i did the order of whisper story and see the mesmer abilities pf Lady Wi, i though she is E, and is the number one posibility and the one with more probablities. Also, her daugther is near Caudecus so could be the perfect spy in the white mantle.

Logicaly speaking, Lady Wi should be E.

But later, i though in Demmi as a character that could be much more.

And how could she pay for the sins of her father already being dead? Being E this all time.

She has the political conections and the order of whisper resources.

But, if i would have to bet, i Will put all my money on Lady Wi. Demmi is just my Romantic way of seing the mistery.

That makes a lot of sense ye. But would you say Anet would really write a story where a daughter of a criminal somehow needs to repay for her fathers sins?

I rather doubt that Demmi is E.

Keep in mind the earliest chronological mention of E, is Marjory's backstory. Sadly, we do not have a year for the events in this story, however it likely predates the personal story, as after the events of this Marjory had joined the Durmand Priory, went inactive in the order, and made a name for herself as detective before mid-1326 AE. In this, although E is never seen, we are given three facts about E:

1. He's male.
  2. He's human (otherwise Marjory would have denoted an oddity)
  3. He's not a necromancer.

Now the first two of these could be theoretically negated if E was a mesmer. But Demmi is no mesmer.

So, imo, any non-mesmer is automatically denounced if they're not a human male non-necromancer.

On top of that, while it doesn't truly help clarify E's person, E is also shown to be interested in the matters of Lion's Arch politics, and as of 1325 AE has informants within the Shining Blade, and as of S3 has informants within the Seraph, and Order of Whispers as well. This further denounces Demmi, as in 1325 AE, she was a scared girl, not a spymaster.

Furthermore, whomever E is, they didn't recognize Caudecus' handwriting when the latter sent them a letter. This also shows that Caudecus knew who E was as of 1325 AE, and did nothing obvious against them - he definitely would have if it was Demmi.

[On a side note: the Arton argument makes sense with the last point, as despite being friends, Caudecus framed Arton for the faked deaths of the Falcon Company.]

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:I rather doubt that Demmi is E.

Keep in mind the earliest chronological mention of E, is Marjory's backstory. Sadly, we do not have a year for the events in this story, however it likely predates the personal story, as after the events of this Marjory had joined the Durmand Priory, went inactive in the order, and made a name for herself as detective before mid-1326 AE. In this, although E is never seen, we are given three facts about E:

1. He's male.

Now the first two of these could be theoretically negated if E was a mesmer. But Demmi is no mesmer.

So, imo, any non-mesmer is automatically denounced if they're not a human male non-necromancer.

On top of that, while it doesn't truly help clarify E's person, E is also shown to be interested in the matters of Lion's Arch politics, and as of 1325 AE has informants within the Shining Blade, and as of S3 has informants within the Seraph, and Order of Whispers as well. This further denounces Demmi, as in 1325 AE, she was a scared girl, not a spymaster.

Furthermore, whomever E is, they didn't recognize Caudecus' handwriting when the latter sent them a letter. This also shows that Caudecus knew who E was as of 1325 AE, and did nothing obvious against them - he definitely would have if it was Demmi.

[On a side note: the Arton argument makes sense with the last point, as despite being friends, Caudecus framed Arton for the faked deaths of the Falcon Company.]

I believe Marjory was part of the seraph not Durmand Priory.

It's very weird that E replies and signs with E, but yes Caudecus definitely must have knew how to contact E but it's not sure to say that he knew who E is. But he knew E must be an enemy of the White Mantle that can act to remove current leader.

@McPero.3287 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:I rather doubt that Demmi is E.

Keep in mind the earliest chronological mention of E, is
. Sadly, we do not have a year for the events in this story, however it likely predates the personal story, as after the events of this Marjory had joined the Durmand Priory, went inactive in the order, and made a name for herself as detective before mid-1326 AE. In this, although E is never seen, we are given three facts about E:
  1. He's male.

Now the first two of these
could
be theoretically negated if E was a mesmer. But Demmi is no mesmer.

I believe Marjory was part of the seraph not Durmand Priory.

Marjory was part of the Ministry Guard, quit when she realized they were corrupt, and started up as a private investigator. At some point during that career she joined the Priory, although she doesn't make a big deal about it and it only comes up when the writers want her to have access to Priory resources.

It's very weird that E replies and signs with E, but yes Caudecus definitely must have knew how to contact E but it's not sure to say that he knew who E is. But he knew E must be an enemy of the White Mantle that can act to remove current leader.

Another reason that it's very unlikely to be Demmi. In Chapter 2 of the Personal Story, E managed to pull strings in the Shining Blade to put them on the White Mantle's scent without exposing himself. In Chapter 3, Demmi is a naive girl who ran straight into the arms of pirates, only carrying away information that the Order of Whispers ultimately couldn't get much use out of. It's hard to reconcile those two facts into one person.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:But wasn't E confirmed (or heavily implied) to be a human?

I believe so, considering the amount of human politics and political interests involved with the character and the almost total absense of non humans in this area I would strongly beleive that E is definitely a Human, most likely a Human male.

If we have met him in person in game then I'd put my money on him being a NPC in one of the many story missions of the game that would be easy to overlook at the time we encounter him.

I am also curious if Riot Alice will come back into the story again at some point, she has not been seen in a long time and I have a feeling that she is likely working with E these days.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:But wasn't E confirmed (or heavily implied) to be a human?

I believe so, considering the amount of human politics and political interests involved with the character and the almost total absense of non humans in this area I would strongly beleive that E is definitely a Human, most likely a Human male.

If we have met him in person in game then I'd put my money on him being a NPC in one of the many story missions of the game that would be easy to overlook at the time we encounter him.

I am also curious if Riot Alice will come back into the story again at some point, she has not been seen in a long time and I have a feeling that she is likely working with E these days.

I would like to see that, a little bit of a call back to early GW2.

@McPero.3287 said:I have also noticed Lady Wi is in Divinity's Reach when siege starts while E claims in one of his letters that he is on the way there and is aware of the siege. So if it is not Wi/Evie the strongest candidate is Lord Faren lol.

...and then later in the episode, we found Lord Faren in his underwear with a lady in Caudecus' mansion. Therefore, for that and other reasons (namely that he's a busy playboy hero with a big public profile, and also lacks E's ruthless common sense) I doubt Faren is E.

@Jimbru.6014 said:

@McPero.3287 said:I have also noticed Lady Wi is in Divinity's Reach when siege starts while E claims in one of his letters that he is on the way there and is aware of the siege. So if it is not Wi/Evie the strongest candidate is Lord Faren lol.

...and then later in the episode, we found Lord Faren in his underwear with a lady in Caudecus' mansion. Therefore, for that and other reasons (namely that he's a busy playboy hero with a big public profile, and also lacks E's ruthless common sense) I doubt Faren is E.

That... was an illusion. An illusion of Faren created by a White Mantle Mesmer.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Plus, even if that hadn't been an illusion, wouldn't acting like a dimwitted foppish playboy be exactly how you'd keep people from figuring out your secret, just like Bruce Wayne?

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@"McPero.3287" said:I have also noticed Lady Wi is in Divinity's Reach when siege starts while E claims in one of his letters that he is on the way there and is aware of the siege. So if it is not Wi/Evie the strongest candidate is Lord Faren lol.

Plus, even
if
that hadn't been an illusion, wouldn't acting like a dimwitted foppish playboy be exactly how you'd keep people from figuring out your secret, just like Bruce Wayne?

Yup, which is why I am in favor of the Faren theory. Plus, in Season 4, Faren showed that while he is often shown as dimwitted, he actually can get things done when it counts. And with surprising ease, despite being injured.

Faren is also in the perfect position to spy on just about everyone in Krytan politics, having enough influence to show up to any fancy party, and his "ruse" of being a dimwitted playboy would mean he is close to some of the most gossiping individuals: noble women. It would also leave others believing him to not be much threat, just an annoyance, thus making them lower their guard around them. And as a noble himself, he would also have the funds to hire various individuals. And - whether he realizes it or not - he is in direct contact with individuals of the Order of Whispers, Seraph, Shining Blade, and even Ministry Guard. Again, perfect position to have some influence. He also shows in PoF/S4 to be interested in not just Krytan politics, but other politics, like that of Lion's Arch, Amnoon, and Elona. Which would explain E's introduction to the Commander, with interest about Dragon Bash and Captain Theo Ashford's death.

Not to mention, that E went silent during the events of HoT and early S3 despite notifying Dragon's Watch of curious ongoings at the beginning of Season 2, showing he was interested in the events with Mordremoth to some degree yet had nothing to say about it, all the while Faren was in a crashed airship and exploring the jungle, and recovering from said excursion.

@"McPero.3287" said:I have also noticed Lady Wi is in Divinity's Reach when siege starts while E claims in one of his letters that he is on the way there and is aware of the siege. So if it is not Wi/Evie the strongest candidate is Lord Faren lol.

Plus, even
if
that hadn't been an illusion, wouldn't acting like a dimwitted foppish playboy be exactly how you'd keep people from figuring out your secret, just like Bruce Wayne?

Yup, which is why I am in favor of the Faren theory. Plus, in Season 4, Faren showed that while he is often shown as dimwitted, he actually can get things done when it counts. And with surprising ease, despite being injured.

Faren is also in the perfect position to spy on just about everyone in Krytan politics, having enough influence to show up to any fancy party, and his "ruse" of being a dimwitted playboy would mean he is close to some of the most gossiping individuals: noble women. It would also leave others believing him to not be much threat, just an annoyance, thus making them lower their guard around them. And as a noble himself, he would also have the funds to hire various individuals. And - whether he realizes it or not - he is in direct contact with individuals of the Order of Whispers, Seraph, Shining Blade, and even Ministry Guard. Again, perfect position to have some influence. He also shows in PoF/S4 to be interested in not just Krytan politics, but other politics, like that of Lion's Arch, Amnoon, and Elona. Which would explain E's introduction to the Commander, with interest about Dragon Bash and Captain Theo Ashford's death.

Not to mention, that E went silent during the events of HoT and early S3 despite notifying Dragon's Watch of curious ongoings at the beginning of Season 2, showing he was interested in the events with Mordremoth to some degree yet had nothing to say about it, all the while Faren was in a crashed airship and exploring the jungle, and recovering from said excursion.

That is a good point about E disappearing when Faren was lost in the jungle. I very much agree that he is an excellent fit probably best. But as i mentioned before Wi is probably even better situated then Faren to be E. And story of a minister wife being this master manipulator is also very fun.

@"McPero.3287" said:Actually Faren is in DR when siege starts like Lady Wi, so yeah probably Wi still best candidate as she is a confirmed mesmer.

So I just recalled something which reduces the chances of both Lady Wi and Faren of being E. In S3E4, there are letters from E, and as part of these "E's Correspondence", E sends a letter stating:

I'm aware of the assault on Divinity's Reach, and I'll get there as soon as I can. Don't trust anyone.

Whomever E was, they weren't in DR when the siege began, but elsewhere. But immediately left for DR.

Incidentally, this makes Anise perhaps the best candidate, since she was stated to be away, and showed up late. While Demmi and Logan also match that description, other letters paint Demmi and Logan as a third party - unless E would say "keep an eye on this person (who is actually me) because they're important to Kryta" or "and don't let that person (who is actually me) in on all the secrets." I wouldn't put it past them, but Demmi not being a mesmer nor male nor into the world of intrigue before 1325 imo solidly denounces her as a possibility, and Marjory would definitely recognize Logan's voice (who isn't much of a sneaky fellow even given his days as a mercenary scout leader pre-1319 AE).

But a big part of me feels that saying Anise is E and calling it a day is just to obvious and as a result, boring. Now, granted, there are times in plots when obvious is good, but I would say not this time. Having the Master Exemplar be the mysterious Mister E pulling the strings is not only super fitting, but also boring because the presence of E represents a figure outside the secret organizations of White Mantle, Shining Blade, and Order of Whispers who is manipulating and monitoring events; a figure who has or is trying to outsmart and remain hidden from these secret spymasters while influencing political events for the common good.

So because of that, although given the evidence of E's Correspondence and The Head of the Snake, I'm going to argue (hope) that Anise is not E.

Oh god.. if White Mantle Mesmers can do stuff like that then I don't even wanna know what kind of wierd things caudecus got up to behind closed doors.His room was traumatizing enough xD

@"McPero.3287" said:Actually Faren is in DR when siege starts like Lady Wi, so yeah probably Wi still best candidate as she is a confirmed mesmer.

So I just recalled something which reduces the chances of both Lady Wi and Faren of being E. In S3E4, there are letters from E, and as part of these "
", E sends a letter stating:

I'm aware of the assault on Divinity's Reach, and I'll get there as soon as I can. Don't trust anyone.

Whomever E was, they weren't in DR when the siege began, but elsewhere. But immediately left for DR.

Incidentally, this makes Anise perhaps the best candidate, since she was stated to be away, and showed up late. While Demmi and Logan also match that description, other letters paint Demmi and Logan as a third party - unless E would say "keep an eye on this person (who is actually me) because they're important to Kryta" or "and don't let that person (who is actually me) in on all the secrets." I wouldn't put it past them, but Demmi not being a mesmer nor male nor into the world of intrigue before 1325 imo solidly denounces her as a possibility, and Marjory would definitely recognize Logan's voice (who isn't much of a sneaky fellow even given his days as a mercenary scout leader pre-1319 AE).

But a big part of me feels that saying Anise is E and calling it a day is just to
obvious
and as a result,
boring
. Now, granted, there are times in plots when obvious is
good
, but I would say not this time. Having the Master Exemplar be the mysterious Mister E pulling the strings is not only super fitting, but also boring because the presence of E represents a figure
outside
the secret organizations of White Mantle, Shining Blade, and Order of Whispers who is manipulating and monitoring events; a figure who has or is trying to outsmart and remain hidden from these secret spymasters while influencing political events for the common good.

So because of that, although given the evidence of E's Correspondence and The Head of the Snake, I'm going to argue (hope) that Anise is
not
E.

I know both Faren and Wi were in DR when siege started despite message saying he is in the way to siege of DR. But lady Wi is a powerful mesmer and Wi we were talking too in DR that day was her illusion we have seen people talk through illusions multiple times. Faren could also do the same thing we just don't know if Faren is a mesmer. Other explanation is E lied in his letter, don't really see reason why he would lie but he really doesn't have a reason to be truthful all the time.