It’s time to roll out! “Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire” is now live.

@Cynder.2509 said:So far it looks interesting but I'm very disappointed about the new Hall of Monuments as we're stuck with other players there and for someone like me who's extremely anxious and paranoid this feels bad. Yeah, I know the original HoM had people in it too but there was an instance where the scrying pool was where you were left alone. Sadly as much as I like this area I think I'll avoid it for my own safety because heavily crowded places give me panic attacks most of the time. :(

Players being there doesn't bother me the same way but feels really weird cuz in GW1 there was the open part (eotn) and the instance HoM part. Like why are other people in MY hall of monuments? And apparently part 2 isn't available now due to some bug so I'll check back later -_- first fight was pretty good tho and the writing didn't feel so cringe for once. Music was a refreshing change.

The 'talk to a xunlai agent today' text on the bank chest was funny nod to GW1.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Zok.4956 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:Why is a 5-10 man instanced strike
required
to complete the story? Requiring other players for story content hasn't been a thing since before you made killing Zhaitan a soloable instance. I am not happy about this. I get you want people to do strikes, but forcing it on people who want to play the main story is not the way to go about it.

I prefer my first playthrough of new story content to be done solo so that I don't have the distraction of another player. Now, not only do I need another player, but if my friends arent online and willing to do it with me I am stuck with randoms who are even more of a disruption to my enjoyment of lore and story.

Bad choice Anet. Normally I am a "white knight" (as some people have tried to call me) about the game. But this really gets under my skin.

If you mean the Steelwarband stuff it's all just side story. It's similar to a dungeon to be honest just with public access.

Dungeons were never required to complete the story with the exception of killing Zhaitan and Anet changed that to a soloable instance for the story. This is a step backwards.

I disagree wholeheartedly. You should have to do group content in an MMO. This is not a single player game. People who push this to be a solo experience are why many people only come back every 3 months or so to just complete story then move on to other games.

Actually, GW2 is (or should I say "was"?) a very solo friendly game/MMO, and because of this, the game has a lot of players that do no want to group with other players in instances.

And if the company wants to change this "basic product feature" now, and wants to ignore those players/customers, it could result in the leaving of more and more unhappy players/customers.

Really? Because apart from main episode stories, I've always found GW2 to be heavily built on cooperative play. In fact it has been stated by the devs to be a founding pillar of the game. Outside of our characters story instances, the game is very much geared for bringing players together. And it has been that way since launch whether it is dungeon stories, LS1 (which was heavily group orientated), HoT, metas and group events everywhere in open world and many other examples. The fact that it is solo friendly as well is an added bonus and a credit to the designers to make the game's multiplayer and solo stuff compliment each other so well.

And the best thing is, it's public instance stuff, so you can join on the fly and have fun.

Def happy with this direction as a so called "casual" player

Been a lot of talk of what hasn't been so liked- and i don't mind that being the case- but since I didn't see much in the way of positive posts, wanted to drop by and say I'm really happy with how strikes have progressed and are being fleshed out, and tying that all together at EotN is a nice thematic touch on top of being convenient. The new skins look great, the new instance is super fun and seems to have some cool collections attached to it. Definitely a lot more than I expected out of this mid-episode patch. Thanks, y'all!

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:Why is a 5-10 man instanced strike required to complete the story? Requiring other players for story content hasn't been a thing since before you made killing Zhaitan a soloable instance. I am not happy about this. I get you want people to do strikes, but forcing it on people who want to play the main story is not the way to go about it.

I prefer my first playthrough of new story content to be done solo so that I don't have the distraction of another player. Now, not only do I need another player, but if my friends arent online and willing to do it with me I am stuck with randoms who are even more of a disruption to my enjoyment of lore and story.

Bad choice Anet. Normally I am a "white knight" (as some people have tried to call me) about the game. But this really gets under my skin.

Thank you for putting this up I am so freaking happy that i am not the only one disappointed by this BS

Now finished the Darkrime Delves. Excellent work team. Great mix of group and solo content, with some decent dialogue throughout. Was a fun evening playthrough.

More of this very much welcomed - the public instance for the visions worked really well and hope you do more of those.

Darkrime Delves made me sad. But, in a good way! Even though we already knew what was going to happen and were just seeing the other side of things, my heart still wrenched a bit at the end.

I will say that making Ryland's GS a bundle was a great move. I still used the GS and thought it was a lot of fun. It's a nice option for people that don't want to use it aside from a few story mechanics.

@"Manasa Devi.7958" said:The first instance was a bit annoying at the start and it was because of it being a multiplayer instance. Before the tank rolled out, there were some side events, apparently. I had to collect some ingredients. So I got 2. Then that event ended and I just stood there armed with a snowball. But fear not, another event started immediately, yay! Some potions needed to be delivered or something. By the time I walked back to where a row of potions was laid out on the ground, being delayed by a veteran bear that needed killing because it wouldn't break combat, that event also suddenly ended. Probably just time-filler events without much challenge, but what the hell? I want to play that instance, not have other people play it for me. Being "cheated" out of 2 events like that had me start the real mission with a feeling of frustration. Not a good first impression.

The mission itself was fun, though the last bit took a little too long for my taste. Transitioning to the next instance didn't work. I had to leave the instance and get in from the Eye.

I was totally confused with the mission I found it boring and non enjoyable......... I don't want to play with others and being forced again with a past story that didn't make any since just to get to the story was more than frustrating , the drop from the chest was nothing but trash items it should have included dungeon tokens in the end not even worth the time we were forced into doing the strike mission, and as far as I see hardly anyone does strike mission, they have made Strike mission just as hard as Raids... well that's great for those who have the friends or the guilds that do them..... but it left out a crap load of pve players thats don't socialize with people very well so the rest of us are all left out and forcing others to do this crap to try and impress for other to do it is BS....In all honesty they should have just made it a open map for everyone...... and gave us a freaking choice, Then again i have totally lost a lot of interest of the game since Borja Marshes came out. What was the freaking point of gaining a horrible skill just to break a bar, was it to teach others what a bar was and how to break it???? alls i know my husband won't even finish the story because it was so bad

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Zok.4956 said:

required
to complete the story? Requiring other players for story content hasn't been a thing since before you made killing Zhaitan a soloable instance. I am not happy about this. I get you want people to do strikes, but forcing it on people who want to play the main story is not the way to go about it.

If you mean the Steelwarband stuff it's all just side story. It's similar to a dungeon to be honest just with public access.

Dungeons were never required to complete the story with the exception of killing Zhaitan and Anet changed that to a soloable instance for the story. This is a step backwards.

I disagree wholeheartedly. You should have to do group content in an MMO. This is not a single player game. People who push this to be a solo experience are why many people only come back every 3 months or so to just complete story then move on to other games.

Actually, GW2 is (or should I say "was"?) a very solo friendly game/MMO, and because of this, the game has a lot of players that do no want to group with other players in instances.

And if the company wants to change this "basic product feature" now, and wants to ignore those players/customers, it could result in the leaving of more and more unhappy players/customers.

Really? Because apart from main episode stories, I've always found GW2 to be heavily built on cooperative play. In fact it has been stated by the devs to be a founding pillar of the game. Outside of our characters story instances, the game is very much geared for bringing players together.

Yes, the openworld-PvE is intentionally very cooperative and "solo-players" can just play "ad-hoc" together with other players and help each other without any further commitment. But instances are a different beast. As an example. Anet had to change the zhaitan-story-instance. At first it was 5-player group content and because of that a lot of players did not finish it.

@Zok.4956 said:

@Zok.4956 said:

required

Really? Because apart from main episode stories, I've always found GW2 to be heavily built on cooperative play. In fact it has been stated by the devs to be a founding pillar of the game. Outside of our characters story instances, the game is very much geared for bringing players together.

Yes, the openworld-PvE is intentionally very cooperative and "solo-players" can just play "ad-hoc" together with other players and help each other without any further commitment. But instances are a different beast. As an example. Anet had to change the zhaitan-story-instance. At first it was 5-player group content and because of that a lot of players did not finish it.

I can't even get my husband for finish the story in Borja he completely lost interest in the game when gothemer came out though, and Borja just made it worse for him, and as he said today he is just gonna wait for me to do story on another charter so he just run with me and not deal with the frustration they have promoted here.......

I also want to note that we've passed the 9 month mark and still no talk of Wing 8 for raids after stating that the team was going to focus on faster releases.

I'm sorry, but I know you're all for strike missions, but they are NOT raids. Too simple, not hard enough. I personally haven't touched the Whisper of Jormag because of how disappointing Grothmar and BM strikes have been, and likely won't touch this new one either.

I want our next raid wing please. Wanting to push player skill levels up to raid levels is fine, but for those of us who are already doing raids weekly, we would like more content too. LFM is constantly empty since all raids are able to be completed by most groups in 4-6 hours of play and ppl are just done by Tuesday each week. Either a restructure of repeatability through rewards, or the next wing would be nice.

@"Rhapsody Dragonfly.5136

First: Strikes are way easier than raids

Second: There are plenty of LFGs for strikes. They also got their own subgroup.As a solo player you can find like all the time a group that's looking for a DPS, Healer, etc. You dont even need a full meta set.

@Spicef.1789 said:@"Rhapsody Dragonfly.5136

First: Strikes are way easier than RaidsSecond: There are plenty of LFGs for Strikes, Strikes got their own subgroup. You can find multiple Squads all the time in lfg. As a solo Player you can find like All the time a Group that's looking for a DPS, Healer, etc. You dont even need a full meta Set.

And for some players who have issues, they arent easy enough. Though the Grothmar one is literally a punching bag..

Also, i seldom see LFGS for strikes aside from reset. regardless strikes being added to story has negatively impacted players even if its a small set, not sure if thats a good thing.

I'm mighty dissapointed with the new armor sets after checking them on my toons. Why does the medium male chest piece make the character look three times fatter (again)? What's with the "look, I'm wearing three towels and a blanket underneath my armor" style (for males only; again)? Why do we even have a body type options when so many armors just make our characters look like a barrel with stick arms? Could we, pretty please, have just a few more nice, non-trenchcoatish FITTING medium male armors? PLEASE.And the light male chest piece is not much better...

The story was great. The only bad thing about it was that it REALLY makes the Season 1 content stand out as stale! Its like going from Season 2 to HoT and suddenly so much commander dialogue, but in reverse. =b

This is quality content, although the grind for the new stuff just being "do more Strike Missions" just turns me off. Especially with how much of it you need along with the week rotating chest NPC being a thing that really should exist.

Can't comment on the HUB yet until we see what you do with it over the next couple years.

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:Why is a 5-10 man instanced strike required to complete the story? Requiring other players for story content hasn't been a thing since before you made killing Zhaitan a soloable instance. I am not happy about this. I get you want people to do strikes, but forcing it on people who want to play the main story is not the way to go about it.

I like that 10 man content, it feels more like a dungeon, it's different from fractals and easier than raids. Yeah sucks that the solo part is barred by that but what worries me most is the future, will people still be doing them.

TBH what disappointed me the most was the season 1 stuff and how it was implemented, it is really bad for new players and that sense of immersion is really damage by it. I wish the story missions from season 1 were similar to season 2+ quests because the way it is now you lose the sense of continuity. I was most of the time like wondering how my character got to meet them and what let them to those missions.

Lots of complaints (here and elsewhere) about required 5-10 man content, but I didn't mind it at all, and personally had a lot of fun playing through it with 9 other players. I hope these 'story strike missions' become a feature of the Visions of the Past content, which after all is an accompaniment to the actual Saga episodes, so I think it's perfectly valid for them to do things a bit differently.

I enjoyed the Darkrime Delves instance too; excellent writing and some terrific voice work. It all sets up things nicely for the next episode. Good stuff.

However I am disappointed with the implementation of the 4 Season 1 instances. I guess it was inevitable once it became apparent we'd be accessing it via the EotN, but I do wish they were contained in their own Season 1 section of the Hero panel, right between My Story and Season 2. Oh well.

TBH, that... was pretty disappointing. I really like most GW2 content. I have enjoyed Icebrood so far. Then ...this... happened.

Going into it I was really excited. It sounded fun. Sounded like a map with good WvW dynamic mixed with PvE. What I experienced was a new "home" instance that appears to only be there to suck up my gold and get me to turn in tokens I can collect by replaying a mission that is really annoyingly slow, has little actual depth or fun to it, and is virtually useless rewards unless I farm for the next 5 years. Not even getting to play as my own toon on the new map was also not so great. I had no time to actually compete in any of the "compete against X npc for kills", things just died and then the events were over. We rolled on with "our" tank. Whee. Then we AoE killed some mobs coming out of portals. Again. Then there was a "boss"? AKA an excruciatingly long tank fight against a golem that has literally no background reason for existing. It was alright, I guess. Well, I thought, maybe I can go replay old stuff... but I can't even figure out how to get the scrying pool to let me do that. Maybe I have to farm the boring tank mission? Blergh. No thanks. I can live just fine without season one, I already never saw it and had completely adjusted to it's absence.

Paying homage to a "iconic" location is fun, I guess, for the player who played GW1? But for me, it's really pretty underwhelming.

Playing as Ryland: Might have been fun, if I wanted to play as someone who can just greatsword through everything, who has some super powered fire chainsaw sword that ALSO never existed until now in the story in any way... Could have been a cut scene, frankly.

This feels like it is filler to buy time for whatever is next. I hope whatever comes next is better.

Well done ANET completely enjoying the new content. Its different and I'm glad your trying new things! And new ways of story telling.

I'm going to make one little critique. I've been playing since launch. I have great nostalgia from playing season 1 and I love that you brought back season one. For me and my nostalgia and for everyone else who now gets to experience what I played or something of it.

However, I felt disconnected. I had no idea... which story do I do first, where am I, why am I here... I'm missing story context. I couldn't remember where to start, with Cragstead or Nolan, I new it wasn't the tower or Canach. I didn't know why I was going to these places or what was happening from a season one story. Season 2 3 4 and 5 I can play in order and can follow the story.

I also felt that way Playing the Ryland visions... where was I in context of map in Tyria… why am I here. Please keep this in mind when creating more of these Visions. For season 1 visions maybe bring an NPC to give people the back story, and which visions of season 1 they should do and in what order. I know there is the NPC in Lions Arch maybe bring them to the eye of the north or a new NPC.

Awesome Job! Loving Season 5, Look forward to more visions of the past!

Disagree, the other players make this fun. The music, the other players and the npcs make me feel as a part of the warband. Its chaotic, its fast and that adds to the atmosphere. Doing this solo would be a big bore and make the instance longer than it already is. You can still do the content and not have anyone distract you. I am not sure how randoms would distract you and take away from your enjoyment of the lore. If lore is what you are really after, I would think you would appreciate the lore of having other players in your warband. The instance is long enough to allow you to go through the achievements. This is honestly the best story mission I have experienced in the entire game and I wish Anet releases more content this way. It was ridiculous that we were able to take down the elder dragons and even a god solo.

@Tazer.2157 said:

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:Why is a 5-10 man instanced strike
required

Disagree, the other players make this fun. The music, the other players and the npcs make me feel as a part of the warband. Its chaotic, its fast and that adds to the atmosphere. Doing this solo would be a big bore and make the instance longer than it already is. You can still do the content and not have anyone distract you. I am not sure how randoms would distract you and take away from your enjoyment of the lore. If lore is what you are really after, I would think you would appreciate the lore of having other players in your warband. The instance is long enough to allow you to go through the achievements. This is honestly the best story mission I have experienced in the entire game and I wish Anet releases more content this way. It was ridiculous that we were able to take down the elder dragons and even a god solo.

It is good group content, lot's of fun, but I still do not like them making instanced group content a requirement for completing a chapter in my story journal. (Although many people saying it is soloable I have also been seeing many people saying it is incredibly difficult to do solo.)

@"Zok.4956" said:

I definitely don't like forced multi-player content. Multi-player interaction in open world PvE is fine but being forced in an instance is sort of like being forced in an escape room with random strangers; each with their own deep personality issues. I don't have time to commit to partying up with others I know; not that many people I know even play this game. I like to enjoy game content at my own pace not be forced to rush through it by people have done it a thousand times. I don't want the high strung types telling me where to zig, where to zag, what to hit, when to jump, etc. That being forced to keep up with the group and follow orders is what put me off dungeons. If a story takes me hours to do then so be it. I like doing it at my own pace.