Problems with the Current Event Rifts

I'm facing several problems with the rifts.

1. Entering a rift often results in me being dumped onto another rift map rather than the Mist Rift to fight the Riftstalker. The wiki says it doesn't matter from which map you enter a rift from. Any idea why this may be happening?
  2. Google search suggests that there is a rift timer that determines which of the lost items you receive after killing the Riftstalker and jumping over to the marked corner, before leaving the rift. This is important to know for "Helpful Hero" achievement. for The times/rewards do not seem to be working for me though. The rewards seem to be more randomized.
  3. The stand in the circle mechanic is flaky. Many times I get into the white circle as soon as it appears but don't catch the crystal. Other times I get to the circle late and still manage to catch the crystal. There are also some landing spots that ALWAYS fail for me if I try to catch there.Item 1 is the really annoying one. Any ideas on the above?

Never mind. I've given up on this piece of crap. If Arenanet really wanted people to enjoy getting the Helpful Hero achievement, they would have provided better clues or when and how instructions. My latest attempt for "lost cat" resulted in me being deposited in Iron Marches where the "lost rifle" should be turned in. Maybe they've changed the schedules. I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

What's really weird is that I have everything except the greatsword one and I don't even remember intentionally doing the achievement. I tagged along when that Mist Rift seemed more popular but never conciously worked on the achievement. Now I'd like to get the greatsword heart and I never see anyone doing that achievement anymore.

@bucolicat.6182 said:What's really weird is that I have everything except the greatsword one and I don't even remember intentionally doing the achievement. I tagged along when that Mist Rift seemed more popular but never conciously worked on the achievement. Now I'd like to get the greatsword heart and I never see anyone doing that achievement anymore.

it is easily soloable so whether other people are doing it or not shouldn't matter.

Oh and I just noticed the mistake OP has made in the second post. Where the rift deposits you doesn't matter either. What does matter is what is inside the rift since that is what determines the item you will pick up when leaving. The item can be seen as soon as you enter the rift although some items are easier to see than others depending on your graphics settings. The dolyak was easy to see but for me the statue was hard to tell what it was until I was next to it.

Fair point Khisanth but it doesn't change anything. I entered the mists at a time that should have corresponded to a "lost cat" instance (if you can believe the unofficial schedule that you can find with a google search). I eventually got the achievement by continuing to use the schedule and trying once every 1h10m. I now believe that some of the instance servers were out of sync (at least at the time). I posted more about this in an existing thread in the bugs category.

@"tmorrow.5189" said:Fair point Khisanth but it doesn't change anything. I entered the mists at a time that should have corresponded to a "lost cat" instance (if you can believe the unofficial schedule that you can find with a google search). I eventually got the achievement by continuing to use the schedule and trying once every 1h10m. I now believe that some of the instance servers were out of sync (at least at the time). I posted more about this in an existing thread in the bugs category.

If it is the same schedule as on the wiki it was offset in a way that you either had to do the one before or after. That is more of a problem with the table than the schedule.

@"tmorrow.5189" said:

1. The stand in the circle mechanic is flaky. Many times I get into the white circle as soon as it appears but don't catch the crystal. Other times I get to the circle late and still manage to catch the crystal. There are also some landing spots that ALWAYS fail for me if I try to catch there.Actually, it works really well. The secret is not to focus on standing in the circle, but realizing that your character must actually collide with the flying fragment. The circle is for reference. What I do is stand in the middle of the circle, aim for the projectile, and once it's in sight, body slam it (I frequently run towards it and jump to catch it midair, often standing outside of the ground mark reference).

@Khisanth.2948 said:If it is the same schedule as on the wiki it was offset in a way that you either had to do the one before or after. That is more of a problem with the table than the schedule.

Possibly. I had both successes and failures following the schedule. The last one I had to do several times, every 70 minutes before success.

@Skotlex.7580 said:

@"tmorrow.5189" said:
  1. The stand in the circle mechanic is flaky. Many times I get into the white circle as soon as it appears but don't catch the crystal. Other times I get to the circle late and still manage to catch the crystal. There are also some landing spots that ALWAYS fail for me if I try to catch there.Actually, it works really well. The secret is not to focus on standing in the circle, but realizing that your character must actually collide with the flying fragment. The circle is for reference. What I do is stand in the middle of the circle, aim for the projectile, and once it's in sight, body slam it (I frequently run towards it and jump to catch it midair, often standing outside of the ground mark reference).

Glad it works for you. For me, at 250+ ping (from Aus), the circles are majorly flaky. Where is it explained that the circles are "for reference"? I'd be surprised if that is correct. If I'm in the circle and I see the projectile coming, I expect an automatic catch when it lands on me in the circle. This is how it works for Domain of Vabbi and THP events where the same circles are used. I have used the jump and catch method you refer to as "body slam" and it does seem to work more reliably, but only if I get in the circle early (also avoids knockback).

I've had such a crappy experience overall that I'm not going back to play any of that content again. I did enjoy the riftstalker fight (despite the flaky circles), but the rest, especially the way the achievements worked, ruined it for me. Fortunately there are a lot of other things to do in GW2.