Protest having to pay to travel to the Eyes of the North

While tis true that the game rewards players with in-game money from player activity, I find it a bit dubious that players are required to pay to use the WP to have to travel to the Eyes of the North in the latest story installment.

IMO, there should've been some other mechanism that players can travel to the Eyes of the North that's free of charge within the game.As best as I can recall, I believe that this is the first time a story piece requires personal resources, in-game currency, to make story progression, which makes a player such as myself question the principal of story requirements: ... are players going to be required to shell out in-game currency for more story progression?

I want to emphasis that story progression is categorically different than other items in the game, such as mounts which needed copious amounts of gold... which is more understandable.... but for story progression? That's where I'm a little concerned.

.... though I have to admit, the one silver and odd amount of copper is a pittance, so it wasn't a large sum overall.

Furthermore, I've also noticed at least one similar posting asking how to travel to the Eyes of the North besides using the WP:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/100570/how-do-you-travel-to-the-eye-of-the-north

Thanks for reading my gripe!!:p

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@zealex.9410 said:First world problems, considering you are more likely to be at home now than not i think this matters the least, at its really story content for the first time, after that its just a hub for visions and strikes.

That's a really realistic and practical response, however, I'm a person of principal, and was just questioning the principal of it.

sighAnd I reluctantly agree, this concern is perhaps trivial at best.

In all seriousness is this a joke? The most I could possibly see you spending is less than 10 silver for the farthest WP from the Eye of the North WP AND ANet is doing something incredibly experimental by giving you a totally optional city hub that you can customize as you see fit. Yeah the grind to max everything out would be tedious but if you just get a gate link to Lion's Arch or your Home Instance you'd be traveling for free after that point. I can kind of see where you're coming from but it's less than 10 silver. You can make up that loss in no time and I can't imagine a situation where you're traveling back and forth between EotN and the rest of the map without pocketing enough gold to make up the difference.

@beogoat.9215 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:First world problems, considering you are more likely to be at home now than not i think this matters the least, at its really story content for the first time, after that its just a hub for visions and strikes.

That's a really realistic and practical response, however, I'm a person of principal, and was just questioning the principal of it.

sigh
And I reluctantly agree, this concern is perhaps trivial at best.

I'd say yeah, pretty trivial...

Also...it isn't new. So say you started any of the other past Living World updates in a separate zone and the NPC that talks to you goes "Meet me at [insert location]." which is a thing that has happened many times. You undoubtedly had to waypoint somewhere in close proximity of or directly to said location. I don't get how this is different than that and that makes it somehow...dubious or concerning.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:First world problems, considering you are more likely to be at home now than not i think this matters the least, at its really story content for the first time, after that its just a hub for visions and strikes.

sigh
And I reluctantly agree, this concern is perhaps trivial at best.

I'd say yeah, pretty trivial...

Also...it isn't new. So say you started any of the other past Living World updates in a separate zone and the NPC that talks to you goes "Meet me at [insert location]." which is a thing that has happened many times. You undoubtedly had to waypoint somewhere in close proximity of or directly to said location. I don't get how this is different than that and that makes it somehow...dubious or concerning.

It's not quite the same this time. In the past, it was always possible to get to the NPC by other means of travel, mainly running and using the city portal network. Sure, it was cumbersome and took a bit of time, but it was in fact possible. As far as I can understand, this time there is no such option; you absolutely have to use the WP to get there.

Is it a big problem? No, not in my opinion. But it's still a change that takes away an option.

@hostileskeleton.7364 said:In all seriousness is this a joke? The most I could possibly see you spending is less than 10 silver for the farthest WP from the Eye of the North WP AND ANet is doing something incredibly experimental by giving you a totally optional city hub that you can customize as you see fit. Yeah the grind to max everything out would be tedious but if you just get a gate link to Lion's Arch or your Home Instance you'd be traveling for free after that point. I can kind of see where you're coming from but it's less than 10 silver. You can make up that loss in no time and I can't imagine a situation where you're traveling back and forth between EotN and the rest of the map without pocketing enough gold to make up the difference.

Have you checked this? I got the gate link to Lion's Arch, and it seems to be a one-way link: it drops you at the gate to Rata Sum, and I haven't been able to find any gate inside Lion's Arch that will actually take you BACK to the Eye of the North.

Well, I see no problem in paid WP for the story instance. Through, as it was said, this is going to be a hub. We are going to use it every day for strike missions, Anet wants us to invest into it, building upgrades. Remember the Sun's Refuge, which contained nothing but a few 1-time achievements. We had multiple teleports to it and nothing for Eyes of the North. Just I see no reason to invest. It's hard to call home the place with the paid entrance.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@hostileskeleton.7364 said:In all seriousness is this a joke? The most I could possibly see you spending is less than 10 silver for the farthest WP from the Eye of the North WP AND ANet is doing something incredibly experimental by giving you a totally optional city hub that you can customize as you see fit. Yeah the grind to max everything out would be tedious but if you just get a gate link to Lion's Arch or your Home Instance you'd be traveling for free after that point. I can kind of see where you're coming from but it's less than 10 silver. You can make up that loss in no time and I can't imagine a situation where you're traveling back and forth between EotN and the rest of the map without pocketing enough gold to make up the difference.

Have you checked this? I got the gate link to Lion's Arch, and it seems to be a one-way link: it drops you at the gate to Rata Sum, and I haven't been able to find any gate inside Lion's Arch that will actually take you BACK to the Eye of the North.

I agree.

If there isn't a gate or another method back to the Eyes of the North, this would incur players the cost of using WPs.Though it isn't expensive per usage, over time, it'll add up especially like say over the course of a year, etc...

@Kitich.4580 said:Well, I see no problem in paid WP for the story instance. Through, as it was said, this is going to be a hub. We are going to use it every day for strike missions, Anet wants us to invest into it, building upgrades. Remember the Sun's Refuge, which contained nothing but a few 1-time achievements. We had multiple teleports to it and nothing for Eyes of the North. Just I see no reason to invest. It's hard to call home the place with the paid entrance.

Yeah, I agree, it's not home when you have to pay the entrance fee.

It's like having to pay the cost of a cover charge when you want to get inside a night club or something like that.

@beogoat.9215 said:

I agree.

If there isn't a gate or another method back to the Eyes of the North, this would incur players the cost of using WPs.Though it isn't expensive per usage, over time, it'll add up especially like say over the course of a year, etc...

Particularly annoying because I was assuming that paying for a gate link WOULD be two-way. Getting to Lion's Arch is never more than two map transitions away anyway...

@beogoat.9215 said:

@Kitich.4580 said:Well, I see no problem in paid WP for the story instance. Through, as it was said, this is going to be a hub. We are going to use it every day for strike missions, Anet wants us to invest into it, building upgrades. Remember the Sun's Refuge, which contained nothing but a few 1-time achievements. We had multiple teleports to it and nothing for Eyes of the North. Just I see no reason to invest. It's hard to call home the place with the paid entrance.

It's like having to pay the cost of a cover charge when you want to get inside a night club or something like that.

I mean havent you ever paid for a bus ticket or a taxi to go home? This is a hub as i see it and a multiplayerone at that, i dont see really the point in compairing ot with something personal like one's home.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kitich.4580" said:Well, I see no problem in paid WP for the story instance. Through, as it was said, this is going to be a hub. We are going to use it every day for strike missions, Anet wants us to invest into it, building upgrades. Remember the Sun's Refuge, which contained nothing but a few 1-time achievements. We had multiple teleports to it and nothing for Eyes of the North. Just I see no reason to invest. It's hard to call home the place with the paid entrance.

I mean havent you ever paid for a bus ticket or a taxi to go home? This is a hub as i see it and a multiplayerone at that, i dont see really the point in compairing ot with something personal like one's home.

Zealex:I get your point, however, other players like Kitich and myself were more "domestically" minded and were focused on thoughts of home.... ok, ok, ok, you wrung it out of me, maybe some of us are more like mama boys than we'd like to admit.

LOL.

Kill me for writing that from above.

LMAO.

So I guess it it's more like a commercial hub, than a home, but that means paying a small cover charge just to get to the hub which, I guess some of us object. I mean, in comparison, gates to and from Lion's Arch from one's racial city has always been free, and now this new "fee" based mechanism... I mean, it's just startling to say the least.

I have the pass for Mistlocked Sanctuary. Why would I spend currency of any kind to recreate everything I already have in EoTN, just so I can get access to the strike portal and weekly chest?

More to the point though, every LW map, including SUN'S REFUGE, had a portal scroll you could purchase for free travel.

The most frustratingly consistent thing about ANET's designs is that they are inconsistent .

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:How much do you need to spend?

WP costs are commensurate to the distance traveled.From my character, I can see the costs as:

Divinity's Reach: 3silver 55coppersLion's Arch: 3s 19cGrothmar: Valley 1s 88cBjora Marches: 1s 84c

Please note that WP costs are incurred per usage, and players have yet to discover another method to travel back to EoTN even after purchasing Gate Links.

I agree that the current WP price isn't much, but if you're expected to WP there repeatedly because it's a hub and because it's the only place where you can access the story and the new content, it's going to add up over time. At the very least, there should be a teleport scroll for this place. It's a bad idea to limit access to story content, even if that limit is just a couple of silver here and there.

Concerns about the future are also valid; the idea that you might eventually have to farm map currency to gain access to a new location (or an item that teleports you there) or else you can't continue your story. The future hasn't happened yet, so we don't know if that's coming, but I don't think it hurts anything to discuss it.