Protest having to pay to travel to the Eyes of the North

I think you are being selfish. You expect the Asura to man and maintain all of the Asura gates for free. This all costs money! Sure their is a markup, but they need that funding for important research. How are they supposed to develop advanced weapons and light weight materials that allow Tyrians to be safe while looking good on the battlefield. Well worth the few silvers you have to pay for the convenience of rapid travel. I means you could have to walk.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised they didn't update the Hall of Monuments Portal Stone.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments_Portal_Stone

It would have been a nice solution. They could make it like the Spearmarshal's Plea where it could take you to Sun's Refuge (once you unlocked it) or the Griffon Sanctuary. The same thing could have been done with the Portal Stone. Present it to Aurene after completing the story missions to have her modify it or something.

@Zohane.7208 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:First world problems, considering you are more likely to be at home now than not i think this matters the least, at its really story content for the first time, after that its just a hub for visions and strikes.

That's a really realistic and practical response, however, I'm a person of principal, and was just questioning the principal of it.

sigh
And I reluctantly agree, this concern is perhaps trivial at best.

I'd say yeah, pretty trivial...

Also...it isn't new. So say you started any of the other past Living World updates in a separate zone and the NPC that talks to you goes "Meet me at [insert location]." which is a thing that has happened many times. You undoubtedly had to waypoint somewhere in close proximity of or directly to said location. I don't get how this is different than that and that makes it somehow...dubious or concerning.

It's not quite the same this time. In the past, it was always
possible
to get to the NPC by other means of travel, mainly running and using the city portal network. Sure, it was cumbersome and took a bit of time, but it was in fact possible. As far as I can understand, this time there is no such option; you absolutely
have
to use the WP to get there.

Is it a big problem? No, not in my opinion. But it's still a change that takes away an option.

I mean it isn't a problem in even the slightest of interpretations. "Taking away the option" is I guess partially valid, you can't physically run there through the world, sure, and there isn't a portal to use for free...but just as a few examples; Entanglement had you go back to Dry Top to meet with Taimi and the others...I highly doubt anyone ran there. Tangled Paths brought you back to Camp Resolve, again I highly doubt anyone physically ran there, they probably used the waypoint.

I don't quite understand how its an "issue" for anyone if they take away an "option" that I highly doubt many people were actually using, i.e running to an area. This of course excluding any of the episodes where it was your first time going to said area. A few silver worth of a Waypoint cost isn't a big deal, or any deal. There is nothing dubious behind it, nothing foreshadowing some ominous, foreboding, heinous future of ill intent fueled methods of content implementation. Its literally just a waypoint people.

Could they add a portal? Sure. Does it matter? No.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:Could they add a portal? Sure. Does it matter? No.

Consistency is important in an MMO.

Inconsistency leads to people buying Hatched Chili Pepper nodes for their home instance from the vendor at a cost of 50g, only to discover that unbound versions drop from the meta (and were sold for as low as 17g or so), and that hatched chili peppers ended up being worthless given they can't be consumed for VM and aren't used for anything but mediocre cooking recipes that got replaced by ascended food...all in stark contrast to every single LW currency and every single previous LW home instance node...

If you don't call out inconsistency, you invite more of it.

Sun's Refuge had a portal scroll, and could also be ported to using the Spearmarshal's plea. You can engage in all the mental gymnastics you want trying to downplay or justify there being no scroll to port to EoTN, but the more reasonable approach would be to ask why ANET isn't doing what they have done on previous maps?

If you think it's only about the currency cost to waypoint, it isn't...

For what it's worth I went down to the south east corner of Domain of Kourna, which I think is the furthest you can get from the Eye of the North, on a level 80 character, and the fee is 6s 51c. So that's approximately the maximum you'll ever pay.

It does seem odd that there's no other way to get there however. There's other maps which I don't think you can get back to outside of the story without using a waypoint or buying an item, like Draconis Mons or Dragonfall. (For that matter I'm not sure how to get back to Grothmar or Bjora without using a waypoint.) But when the story sends you there you're given a free mode of transport to get there.

It's especially odd since we already have the Hall of Monuments portal stone, which teleports you to the Hall of Monuments. But it sends you to a different version of the Hall and there's no way to get between the two.

So not a big deal IMO, but definitely an anomaly which could do with being addressed.

Soooooooo, save money by entering the mist and taking the waypoint to LA, which has free portals to norn and charr homelands. Not free, but you can farm a node or kill a couple creatures to make up the cost, like me and my friends did when we were poor, poorly armored and had to spend our loot fixing armor. Don't people watch extreme cheapskates Tyria edition.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@beogoat.9215 said:players have yet to discover another method to travel back to EoTN even after purchasing Gate Links.

Just use the HoM Portal Stone, then click on the EotN waypoint from there: 1s and a few coppers.

Remember, only those that played GW1 have the HoM Portal Stone, so not everyone has access to it...are you sure you can't just transition from the HoM to the new EotN since you can go from EotN to HoM for free without the Portal Stone.

@"Zaklex.6308" said:Remember, only those that played GW1 have the HoM Portal Stone

Small correction, but you actually can get it without having the first game.

I know this only because I bought mine from an NPC under Vigil Keep when I was new to the game (and Vigil Keep was still a social hub) and had no idea what it was for because none of the NPCs inside the instance did anything for me.

Linked accounts automatically get it in their inventory when they make a new character, but everyone else can get it from vendors like I did, granted the locations of the vendors have changed.

If they added a secondary functionality to the stone that lets you choose to visit Eye of the North, that'd be a nice clean way to solve the issues the OP is having.

Almost every episodes starts with some sort of "meet me at ..." which will cost some amount of coin unless you consider your time to be worthless.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@beogoat.9215 said:players have yet to discover another method to travel back to EoTN even after purchasing Gate Links.

Just use the HoM Portal Stone, then click on the EotN waypoint from there: 1s and a few coppers.

Remember, only those that played GW1 have the HoM Portal Stone, so not everyone has access to it...are you sure you can't just transition from the HoM to the new EotN since you can go from EotN to HoM for free without the Portal Stone.

Accounts linked to GW1 will get it upon character creation but anyone can get the portal stone from the vendor in LA.

While it's indeed a negligible amount of cash, if the stone already exists, why not re-map it to the proper instance instead of the one that (as far as I understood) only benefits who played GW1.

Sometimes I wish we could port like in ESO, free if we're inside a wayshrine (their version of GW2's waypoints) and paid otherwise. All we had to do is stay under the energy flux of a waypoint which I'm pretty sure is where we're dropped when using the stone.

Oddly enough, if I'm not teleporting in town, it costs me silver to teleport to the closest WP to all of my home instances already. OMG, the OP was right, this nefarious plot has been going since the game's release, or, at least, since I got here. Get out the pitchforks and light up the bonfires... /sarcasm /hide

For the people saying it's not a big deal, here's another consideration:

One of the upgrades you can get is gate links to various locations. None of these locations are to places that are particularly hard to get to (Lion's Arch is never more than two transition screens away, and the other locations are all only a handful of transition screens away from there), the price of a gate link is comparable to a portal scroll (at current prices for the materials) and from memory Mechanist Ninn doesn't say anything about the portal being a one-way trip.

Intuitively, there's little reason to get a gate link unless it's so you can use it to get back to the Eye of the North. There are probably a lot of people buying gate links expecting it to be two-way and then feeling cheated when they pass through and find out not only that it's one-way, but also that they probably now need to waypoint back if they want to return. Not everybody is going to be scouring the forums or the wiki for a potential catch before purchasing an upgrade like that.

The general assumption as new instances are added is that you can get nickled and dimed by waypoint fees every time you want to visit... or you can pay fifty silver upfront to not have to worry about it. The Eye of the North, which is advertised as a hub where players are expected to gather (similar to Lion's Arch) is currently the only location in Tyria that you can't get to without paying a fee every time. Sure, there are other locations which can take a bit of time to get to, but with mounts nowadays it often isn't that long, and you can do some harvesting and/or participate in some events along the way.

@draxynnic.3719 said:For the people saying it's not a big deal, here's another consideration:

One of the upgrades you can get is gate links to various locations. None of these locations are to places that are particularly hard to get to (Lion's Arch is never more than two transition screens away, and the other locations are all only a handful of transition screens away from there), the price of a gate link is comparable to a portal scroll (at current prices for the materials) and from memory Mechanist Ninn doesn't say anything about the portal being a one-way trip.

Intuitively, there's little reason to get a gate link unless it's so you can use it to get back to the Eye of the North. There are probably a lot of people buying gate links expecting it to be two-way and then feeling cheated when they pass through and find out not only that it's one-way, but also that they probably now need to waypoint back if they want to return. Not everybody is going to be scouring the forums or the wiki for a potential catch before purchasing an upgrade like that.

The general assumption as new instances are added is that you can get nickled and dimed by waypoint fees every time you want to visit... or you can pay fifty silver upfront to not have to worry about it. The Eye of the North, which is advertised as a hub where players are expected to gather (similar to Lion's Arch) is currently the only location in Tyria that you can't get to without paying a fee every time. Sure, there are other locations which can take a bit of time to get to, but with mounts nowadays it often isn't that long, and you can do some harvesting and/or participate in some events along the way.

and you pay how much to get there 4? that is what? two dead mobs? One harvesting node?

People are making a fuss about NOTHING. If it would cost 1g, I could understand the noise. But this is so low, it is basically free.

As I see it, the Eye of the North's -only- benefit is fast access to strikesI cant imagine that all the coniviences once built will be fairly close to each other, but spread out among the huge room. Which already is a chore to traverse due to lack of mounts. If anything, enabling the speedboost from the capitals would go a long way at minimizing that.Why did the bland Suns refuge get a portal scroll when the eye didnt? Mindboggling, since the eye is a place they clearly want people to return to. Plus its quite easy to overlook on the worldmap, the map being quite tiny.So far I think the VIP area in divinitys reachs or the mistlock is far superior with everything close together. The later can even send you back to where you were.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@"draxynnic.3719" said:For the people saying it's not a big deal, here's another consideration:

Intuitively, there's little reason to get a gate link
unless
it's so you can use it to get
back
to the Eye of the North. There are probably a lot of people buying gate links expecting it to be two-way and then feeling cheated when they pass through and find out not only that it's one-way, but also that they probably now need to waypoint back if they want to return. Not everybody is going to be scouring the forums or the wiki for a potential catch before purchasing an upgrade like that.

The general assumption as new instances are added is that you can get nickled and dimed by waypoint fees every time you want to visit...
or
you can pay fifty silver upfront to not have to worry about it. The Eye of the North, which is advertised as a hub where players are expected to gather (similar to Lion's Arch) is currently the
only location in Tyria
that you can't get to without paying a fee every time. Sure, there are other locations which can take a bit of time to get to, but with mounts nowadays it often isn't that long, and you can do some harvesting and/or participate in some events along the way.

and you pay how much to get there 4? that is what? two dead mobs? One harvesting node?

People are making a fuss about NOTHING. If it would cost 1g, I could understand the noise. But this is so low, it is basically free.

Then what's the point of having links to go back? It's just a few silver to waypoint back to Lion's Arch or whatever, no different there!

"Basically free" has a tendency to add up. That's exactly what the term "nickeled and dimed" means. It means being hit by fees which are individually inconsequential enough times that they add up. EotN is clearly a location that ArenaNet expects people to return to often, and it won't take too long even at the minimum fee of about a silver to add up.

It's inconsistent. Everywhere else you can go, there's a way to go without using a waypoint if you so choose. Waypoints are a convenience, not a necessity. Meanwhile, we have a purchasable upgrade which seems like it should open up being able to travel to the EOTN without paying a fee, but doesn't.

@draxynnic.3719 said:It's inconsistent. Everywhere else you can go, there's a way to go without using a waypoint if you so choose. Waypoints are a convenience, not a necessity. Meanwhile, we have a purchasable upgrade which seems like it should open up being able to travel to the EOTN without paying a fee, but doesn't.

No it’s not at all inconsistent.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@draxynnic.3719 said:It's
inconsistent.
Everywhere else you can go, there's a way to go without using a waypoint if you so choose. Waypoints are a convenience, not a necessity. Meanwhile, we have a purchasable upgrade which seems like it
should
open up being able to travel to the EOTN without paying a fee, but doesn't.

No it’s not at all inconsistent.

that

also 'nickled and dimed' would only apply if we would talk about a whole big bunch of tiny money sinks that you MUST DO. Or real money. Both do not apply.

There is no 'must'. It is YOUR CHOICE to go there and the prize is so low, some people make more standing around letting their minions/pets do the hard work. The fuss is ridiculous - and if you are really outraged about it, you really need to sit down and think for a moment. Think about real problems and not this made up noisy outcry about NOTHING.

I have been using the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments_Portal_Stone and then using the map to hit the EOTN WP at a lower cost. It would be nice to add a link option to the portal stone that would take us to the new EOTN as well as Hall of Monuments. The only two places you can go directly back to EOTN are from Mistlock Sanctuary and your Guild Hall right now. (I did not check out Armistice Bastion) I did buy the additional portal destinations in EOTN. At least if you have those you should be able to travel back via a gate from any of those locations. Please add some options to travel back to EOTN especially if you opened the portal destinations out of there to the cities.