Eye of the North & Sun’s Refuge

I hear you. I think Sun's Refuge didn't turn out as well as they hoped it would. This might give at least some incentive to go there. which I haven't done since I finished the Skyscale collections, and before that when it was the new release.

My bigger problem is: why can't we travel TO Eye of the North from the destinations it links to?

@AllNightPlayer.1286 said:

@MikeG.6389 said:I think Sun’s Refuge didn't turn out as well as they hoped it would.

If they would move all my resource nodes to the Refuge, too, I’d probably only use this instance instead. They could combine them all in an extra area and fix this
mindless
spreading of the nodes.

This, the main problem with Sun's Refuge is that it didn't inherit the resource nodes, so it wasn't a true Home Instance replacement. Though I think they went on record later saying they didn't intend for it to be which I think is silly but /shrug.

Yeah, for me that's the big question mark: What for was Sun's Refuge? And what will happen with EotN? Especially now that we have all those outposts like Mistlock, Noble's Folly and all those... Do such locations still make sense? Not to forget home instance with all the nodes and stuff we can put in... That's several similar concepts living parallely and I don't understand what is the overall objective with that. In the meantime, it makes me invest in different locations whereas I would prefer to have all in one place :3

@"Cronospere.8143" said:Suns refuge, is the "home" for ls4, it was upgraded in later episodes.Eye of the north is the "home" for icebrood saga.. i expect this to be updated later too. but eye of the north turned out better than suns refuge, because you can travel there without needing a portal.

Suns refuge was only upgraded in the map it released, you got some story with the skyscale sure but it dident receive any upgrades after its own map.

@"Cronospere.8143" said:Suns refuge, is the "home" for ls4, it was upgraded in later episodes.Eye of the north is the "home" for icebrood saga.. i expect this to be updated later too. but eye of the north turned out better than suns refuge, because you can travel there without needing a portal.

About the portal, I quite like the waypoint but honestly as I struggle with gold and seeing any amount of money disappear isn't fun, I'd like a scroll. With Sun's Refuge we were able to buy or unlock a portal scroll which went into the Season 4 Portal Tome. A scroll would definitely let me use the location more which I really want to do.... Is there a scroll existing already that I'm just not aware of or does Eye of the North not have a scroll yet?

@Aru.4156 said:

About the portal, I quite like the waypoint but honestly as I struggle with gold and seeing any amount of money disappear isn't fun, I'd like a scroll. With Sun's Refuge we were able to buy or unlock a portal scroll which went into the Season 4 Portal Tome. A scroll would definitely let me use the location more which I really want to do.... Is there a scroll existing already that I'm just not aware of or does Eye of the North not have a scroll yet?

it dont have a scroll yet.

• ArenaNet Staff

I mentioned this in another thread, but EotN will be added automatically as an available destination in the existing Icebrood Saga Portal Tome in an upcoming build.

We made EotN unlock for all players rather than only those who activate this latest episode as a lesson from working on Sun's Refuge. Sun's Refuge was a labor of love for the people who worked on it, but it had the downside of being tied to one episode in the season, so continued expansion wasn't feasible. EotN is deliberately episode agnostic and available to everyone so any future content is in a map people can, you know...get to.

I also passed on the request to add Sun's Refuge to the EotN portal. Makes sense to me.

I think that Eye of the North (besides being a strike hub) is also intended to be a convenience area for those who don't want to pay for a VIP pass and don't want to join a guild just for access to the convenience features. You can pay for all the EotN convenience features with in-game currencies, and it's not so costly or elaborate as a guild hall.

The thing that could differentiate it from any of the VIP areas is if they were to also add scribing stations that could draw on guild resources depending on which guild the crafter is repping. That is something lacking in all the VIP areas I have been to.I do like the idea of being able to access the suns refuge from EotN, although as much as I like it, it didn't have enough utility to draw me on any consistent basis. I'm interested in seeing what other kinds of upgrades the developers might think to add to EotN in the future.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It’s missing a lot of things that the VIP areas have. It’s really no different than any of the services provided by the home cities.

For me the strike mission portal is the best part, but I just port back to Mistlock Sanctuary whenever I need anything other than a vendor. I have no intention of spending any currency to re-create that which I already have access to. For others though, who don't have a pass to sanctuary, this is a step up from having to part back and forth to LA.

@Andrew Gray.5816 said:I mentioned this in another thread, but EotN will be added automatically as an available destination in the existing Icebrood Saga Portal Tome in an upcoming build.

We made EotN unlock for all players rather than only those who activate this latest episode as a lesson from working on Sun's Refuge. Sun's Refuge was a labor of love for the people who worked on it, but it had the downside of being tied to one episode in the season, so continued expansion wasn't feasible. EotN is deliberately episode agnostic and available to everyone so any future content is in a map people can, you know...get to.

I also passed on the request to add Sun's Refuge to the EotN portal. Makes sense to me.

Since EotN will be a main hub for everyone, maybe you guys could add upgrades for instances, raids and fractals? (Merchants, access through the portal like strikes, etc)I do like the idea of having a main hub for that and it being unlocked as an upgrade would be really interesting. Like getting a specific dungeon currency to unlock the portal/merchant, clearing all the bosses on the wing to be able to unlock the portal and the merchant for it.

@AllNightPlayer.1286 said:Why is travelling from Eye of the North to the Sun’s Refuge not a thing? I can choose home instance, but not the “new” home. :angry:

How is Sun's Refuge your new home? There is literally nothing to do there once you've finished the achievements.

I'd rather see them add access to the EotN from all VIP area portals. :+1:

@Jimbru.6014 said:@Andrew Gray.5816 One small suggestion. EotN is missing one important thing for everyone returning all beaten up from their various visions and missions: A REPAIR ANVIL. Putting it over by Berghild's forge would make aesthetic sense.

This right here!!

I was just searching around the place for a repair station today, thinking it must be an oversight.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It’s missing a lot of things that the VIP areas have. It’s really no different than any of the services provided by the home cities.

I do think that's intentional. VIP passes are sold for money, this is free.

@Andrew Gray.5816 said:I mentioned this in another thread, but EotN will be added automatically as an available destination in the existing Icebrood Saga Portal Tome in an upcoming build.

This is a good move, on all three parts.

Hopefully, you guys will consider adding more things to upgrade Eye of the North. Shame that it's an open hub rather than private since that means you can't have anything with collision added as upgrades like with Sun's Refuge.