[Spoiler discussion] who will die in the end?

EdwinLi.1284

So SPOILER discussion below so SPOILERS if you go beyond this point....

So at this point we can guess Anet already has planned for someone among our three Charr good characters to die.

Either Rytlock, Ryland, Crecia, or maybe two of the three. After all Anet just loves killing off characters as their way for them to "retire" from the storyline either physically or mentally coughZojjacough instead of actually retiring alive and healthy to live through the rest of the storyline peacefully.

So who do you think among the three will die?

My best guess is either Rytlock or Ryland.

Rytlock choice is more due to Ryland maybe his successor in the storyline from someone who blindly follows orders to becoming more like his Father each day in his own way. A path that is more about being something better than what the old Charr was and most likely atone for helping Bangar get so far into his plans that it resulted in the death of half of Ryland's warband and some of them corrupted into Jormag's minions.

Ryland choice for the one being killed is more towards realizing too late what he has done. I suspect Bangar may corrupt Ryland into a Charr Icebrood for him to become One Charr but he struggles to keep his will under the One Charr mindset placed on the Charr corrupted by Jormag and Bangar's One Will. Thus Rytlock is forced to kill his own son to save him through death and set him free from Jormag and Bangar's One Will.

As for the Guarantee Death character....

Bangar is guarantee dead no matter what since he is blinded by his Xenophobic beliefs, wanting the Charr Race to become conquerors, and has already planned to take his conquest far into Cantha region as learned in the book collection from Vision of the Past update. I suspect his One Charr ideal is going to involve him using Jormag to "unit" the Charr as One Will thus all Charr, in his eyes, will finally be One Charr under One Will and One Mindset thus the Corrupted Charr will not only be single minded but they will act, talk, and even think just like Bangar. Thus all Charr will be One Charr, One Will, One Mind.... One Bangar.

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:So SPOILER discussion below so SPOILERS if you go beyond this point....

So at this point we can guess Anet already has planned for someone among our three Charr good characters to die.

Either Rytlock, Ryland, Crecia, or maybe two of the three. After all Anet just loves killing off characters as their way for them to "retire" from the storyline either physically or mentally coughZojjacough instead of actually retiring alive and healthy to live through the rest of the storyline peacefully.

Rytlock choice is more due to Ryland maybe his successor in the storyline from someone who blindly follows orders to becoming more like his Father each day in his own way. A path that is more about being something better than what the old Charr was and most likely atone for helping Bangar get so far into his plans that it resulted in the death of half of Ryland's warband and some of them corrupted into Jormag's minions.

Ryland choice for the one being killed is more towards realizing too late what he has done. I suspect Bangar may corrupt Ryland into a Charr Icebrood for him to become One Charr but he struggles to keep his will under the One Charr mindset placed on the Charr corrupted by Jormag and Bangar's One Will. Thus Rytlock is forced to kill his own son to save him through death and set him free from Jormag and Bangar's One Will.

Bangar is guarantee dead no matter what since he is blinded by his Xenophobic beliefs, wanting the Charr Race to become conquerors, and has already planned to take his conquest far into Cantha region as learned in the book collection from Vision of the Past update. I suspect his One Charr ideal is going to involve him using Jormag to "unit" the Charr as One Will thus all Charr, in his eyes, will finally be One Charr under One Will and One Mindset thus the Corrupted Charr will not only be single minded but they will act, talk, and even think just like Bangar. Thus all Charr will be One Charr, One Will, One Mind.... One Bangar.

I mean they killed off Eir non-sensically so I could see them trying to rid us of rytlock to kill of the "Destiny's edge" portion of the cast. I however don't think ryland will die and I doubt Rytlock will, if anything rytlock will become Khan-ur and unite the charr and be stuck as their leader and ryland will join us in his stead to explore the world just as his sire did.

We all know that SOMETHING is going to happen to Bangar. Personally, I'd like to see Bangar confront Jormag with the bow, only for Jormag to remind him, "Not all legends are true." Then Jormag grabs him, and we cut to the face of a terrified Ryland who turns and runs as Bangar can be heard screaming in long, slow agony. Ryland runs to us to tell us what happened and joins us. Then later we run into Bangar as just another mindless minion amid a horde of Icebrood we have to put down, a victim of his own hubris, completely lost even to himself.

On the matter of Rytlock, Ryland or Crecia being killed off during this arc its hard to say. If they do go that path i would have to say that Crecia would not offer much pay off since she was only just introduced in Bound by Blood. Ryland i would have to say is safe since they seem to be putting effort into trying to throw doubt that he is just a mindless soldier and actually might turn on Bangar. Also they are trying to make him somewhat likable. Rytlock imo is by far the most in danger for kill off if they go this path. The payoff of his kill off would make a significant impact for he has been with us the longest and he is pretty beloved. If they do go this path could be a toss up between Rytlock and Ryland. Although they already finished off a beloved character already in this arc, ending another so soon might be too soon so i doubt they will go this path. At this point anything can happen. I do know Bangar has a nice present coming from the Commander :smiley:

At the moment I don't agree that there is a guarantee of a death out of the three, and more than anything I believe that Arenanet would be really stupid to kill off Rytlock. Not only is he very beloved throughout a plurality of the community, he is more or less the mascot of GW2. There is real world merchandise of Rytlock, something none of the other members of Destiny's Edge had/have, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Not everyone can get away with habitually killing off established characters like GoT can (and its even arguable that they didn't completely get away with it either) generally its something that writers do have to be careful about as it comes at a significant risk.

I'm still thinking we're losing Braham. He's been undergoing a big redemption arc and they've been putting a lot of work into shoring up how important The Commander is to him. Braham may die or he might become some sort of avatar of the spirits, but I think his days with us are numbered since his story looks like it's going to wrap up.

Rytlock has only just started on his fall (no one has called him out on his recent behaviour yet) and the others are too new (not that Anet doesn't have a history of introducing someone just to be killed off) so I think all of our fuzz 'n' fang friends are going to be okay.

Unless Anet tries to outdo the shock of The Crystal Dragon and leaves the Commander alone in a pile of the corpses of their friends while Jormag LoLs off to Cantha.

I think it would be a nice plot to kill Rytlock and have Ryland taking his place, indicating his growth and independence from the "do as you are told, soldier" kind of setting. But also, it would be nice to have a Charr becoming the Khan-Ur to have them representing something important in the story, for representativeness, and Rytlock would be the more suited for this position. The idea of Bangar facing Jormag and Jormag finishing him off is ok. Maybe they could kill Crecia, but I dont see why they would do that. So Rytlock becomes the Khan-Ur, Ryland becomes Rytlock-ish and Crecia continues to be Crecia.

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:So at this point we can guess Anet already has planned for someone among our three Charr good characters to die.Why do we believe this? because we got introduced several charr characters?

Keep in mind that Season 4 had introduced us several human characters that we had frequent interactions with: Sayida, Zaiem, Kito, and Zafirah. (I would say Kossan too but he was only involved in one episode ultimately).

None of them died.

After all Anet just loves killing off characters as their way for them to "retire" from the storyline either physically or mentally coughZojjacough instead of actually retiring alive and healthy to live through the rest of the storyline peacefully.Again, not entirely accurate. A lot of personal story figures haven't returned to be killed off, they're just background characters.

The only characters they killed off instead of retiring, are those who would be sticking around because of their upbringing despite their character arc being fulfilled (Almorra, Trahearne), or were killed to further another character's personal arc (Eir, Belinda). Rarely it's done for in-the-moment drama (Demmi, Aurene).

I am not yet convinced any of our charr trio will die, though I am not convinced that none will die either. People do like to make fun of ANet overusing the death of characters. It really depends on what their goals for the characters are.

I doubt Rytlock will die because he's their #2 merchandise artifact (right after Aurene), and there's no way in hell that Ryland can replace it. They already knocked Rox out of the picture to maintain Rytlock as Main Charr. Ultimately, if one of the trio dies, it'll depend on their purpose for Ryland's character. There's definitely no way he's replacing Rytlock though - that just won't go over well with their merchandising which seems more and more to rule their decision making.

That said, I see three scenarios if there is a death:

1. Ryland is killed by the Commander as an enemy they have no choice but to kill. Perhaps it is because Ryland becomes Icebrood, or we have another situation akin to the fight against Almorra but naturally the Commander wins. This will create brief tension with Rytlock, perhaps being the cause that he opts out of being part of Expansion 3 as our teams always cycle through with 2-3 members of Dragon's Watch at a time. But once Expansion 3 ends, Rytlock will be buddies with the Commander once more. In this case, I could see Crecia attacking the Commander out of spite, and then leaving in bitter disgust, becoming an unknown factor for the future.
  2. Ryland is too similar to his father, and ultimately argues with Bangar's plan upon seeing just how impossible it is. Bangar becomes disappointed in Ryland, and kills him in front or Rytlock to get at his Tribune. This will lead to Crecia killing Bangar - something he doesn't really expect because he's not in his right mind anymore - and becoming new Blood Imperator.
  3. Crecia is the one who dies, sacrificing herself to save Ryland from some critical event, like becoming an Icebrood. Crecia's death brings Ryland to his senses, and the Steel Warband leads the charge against Bangar (as established in Forging Steel, none of the Steel Warband really gives a shit about Bangar and his philosophy - they're in it for Ryland - and the fancy weapons, the meat, and the tonics; especially the tonics).

I don't think they can afford to kill of Rytlock tbh.. he's far too big a part of the main Gw2 story and fans love him too much to accept his death.As Konig said too there is no Charr in the game that can replace him so any apparent death that invovles Rytlock I would likely call a fakeout and Anet would bring him back somehow.I would be very, very surprised if they had the guts to kill him off for good.

Ryland could die but I don't see it happening either, We just don't know him or care about him all that much right now to make the death impactful.If anything our experience of his death would be felt more through Rytlock because we care about Rytlock.

Crecia is the one I'd put my money on for more or less the same Reasons Konig said.. I beleive she will sacrifice herself to save either Ryland or Rytlock.

My guess is it may come down to a fight between Rytlock and Ryland, Rytlock not wanting to fight and Ryland being honorbound to fight his own father.Bangar will force the conflict and Rytlock will probably throw the fight to protect his son, Ryland will then refuse to kill Rylock just as he did with Almora and Bangar will then try to kill them both forcing Crecia to sacrifice herself to save them.Rylock and Ryland will then gank Bangar together and kill him hopefully brutally as is the Charr way.

I doubt they'll kill Rhyland, I'm predicting that he's gonna become Khan Ur. There'll be some big turning point where Bangar shows his true colours and fractures his renegade group leaving Rhyland to step in and unite everyone. Or something like that

It's possible this'll involve the death of Rytlock, just to drive it home. I don't expect him to survive this Saga

@"NorthernRedStar.3054" said:I don't think Bangar will die.

I don't think Rytlock will die.

I don't think Ryland will die.

I want to be the one to kill bangar, the norn way. I want to hang him up and torture him. I want a brutal fight where we just brutally kill him in a cineamatic; Where we beat him down and as he is bleeding, knowing full well he will die he leans up to try and turn us to his views. And in disgust we cleave his head off his shoulders and it pans to a shocked rytlock, and a even more disturbed ryland as we turn and walk off just after kicking his body into some chasm. "He didn't deserve to be remember, and he wont be. With no grave and no memory his people will forget and those who try to fight in his name will be made examples of."

I really don't want to try and have our naruto talks with him, I just want to get down and dirty and gut him and be done with it. I already kinda shrug off the charr as characters because I always see them as the enemy from guild wars 1 (Granted I love them in this game, I adore rytlock) But I think its high time the commander steps up and showcases WHY we are who we are, and how we got there. I know for a fact my norn who threatened to feed svanir too a bear; And rip someones throat out over a magic horn would be hard pressed to show mercy to an enemy.

Honestly, I don't think any of them will die. I think Braham mangled up Ryland--we're gonna see him with a missing eye or something in the next release. Ryland's warband may die--he'll turn on Bangar but come out of this disfigured and haunted by his warband dying. As a result, I could see him leaving Blood Legion entirely. Crecia's going to become the next Blood imperator. I doubt Rytlock will become khan-ur or imperator... he HATES the idea. He'd refuse the position. But maybe he'd become Crecia's second-in-command--she's more suited to leadership, but he could help her rebuild a better Blood Legion.... in which case the two elders would stay behind in Ascalon. I could see Ryland traveling with us to Cantha as a way to escape his haunted past and overcome his racism.

I really hope it's @"Konig Des Todes.2086" #3rd scenario. In the vision of the past imho, all the warband is having fun together and don't really care about bangar, ryland just said "I am a soldier i follow order" or "bangar have faith in us, don't use the flare" etc. Through I see the resolving differently: Bangar is disapointed by ryland and kill him, the steel warband don't accept that and decide to charge with crecia because let's say they believe more in her than bangar. The pact, us, some of the other pacific imperators and rytlock against bangar with its icebrood friends and its blood legion traitors.

You can even turn it into a LOTR battle: PACT+steel warband VS BANGAR and co VS PRIMORDIUS with stone summit dwarves and destroyers.After Bangar is defeated, and to please the minds and extinguish the revolt, Crecia is named blood imperator.

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:So SPOILER discussion below so SPOILERS if you go beyond this point....

Nah, I don't think either of those three will go. If anything, I think Rytlock will take down Bangar for some sweet justice, decide he'll want to do with being ruler and hand it off to Crecia. Crecia is the one more suited to politics and strategy anyway with Ryland at her side. They'll usher the next unified generation of Charr with Iron, Blood, Ash and Flame.

I DO know, as well as you, that Bangar will go one way or another. At the end of this, I think Bangar will be taken for a ride carrying whatever Jormag's agenda is thinking that it's his own, and by the time Bangar realizes the scam and that he's been a pawn, it will be too late. He'll find out that he screwed up big time throughout his life and that foolishness will cost him. I think whatever Jormag's plan is will transition into the Canthan expansion.

I think that the one most in danger is Braham. He's progressing and growing throughout Icebrood Saga. Also, what I notice in fiction is that the more a character progresses, the more that character is in danger of being taken out. There's also the fact that he put his own fate on the chopping block when he cracked Jormag's tooth back in season 3. That there is Norn prophecy that he can't just walk away from. I'm not saying Braham is guaranteed to go, but it definitely is a possibility. He's the one most at risk.

I will hazard a guess that Rytlock will get maimed and Sohothin gets lost/destroyed . He will retire from fighting with the commander, and have to deal with being a charr who can not fight. Charr are known to stay in fighting shape till they die in battle, but Rytlock will choose a different path, and if 'Requiem' is of any hint, he will abandon the drive for power and strength.

Other than thatn, (and Bangar), I don't think anything else will happen to the characters.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

1. Crecia is the one who dies, sacrificing herself to save Ryland from some critical event, like becoming an Icebrood. Crecia's death brings Ryland to his senses, and the Steel Warband leads the charge against Bangar (as established in Forging Steel, none of the Steel Warband really gives a kitten about Bangar and his philosophy - they're in it for Ryland - and the fancy weapons, the meat, and the tonics; especially the tonics).

You forgot the part about getting high on Catnip. Vishen Steelshot seem to love seeing how high she gets on Catnip so I guess it is confirmed now catnip is like crack for Charr.

That funny little detail aside...

I think it is a 50/50 with what may happen to the Steel Warband. The way they make the Steel Warband to be likeable in their own way and the dialogue in this Side Episode Saga's storyline gives me this foreshadowing feeling they maybe killed off or half will be turned Icebrood thus their own will are stripped from them into a One Charr Will mind set.

I have a feeling the reintroduction of the Stonesummit that are now most likely mindless servants and how the Great Dwarf influence into being a One Will and Mind set talked about back in GW1 EotN is going to be a very big important influence in what this One Charr idea that Bangar has.

Not to mention the minions of Primordus are under his One Will as well which is his will.

If true then the final battle maybe focus on the individuality (the Unified Charr Legion and the Commander's allies) versus a single unified hive mind (Bangar's One Charr)