Protest having to pay to travel to the Eyes of the North

@"draxynnic.3719" said:For the people saying it's not a big deal, here's another consideration:

One of the upgrades you can get is gate links to various locations. None of these locations are to places that are particularly hard to get to (Lion's Arch is never more than two transition screens away, and the other locations are all only a handful of transition screens away from there), the price of a gate link is comparable to a portal scroll (at current prices for the materials) and from memory Mechanist Ninn doesn't say anything about the portal being a one-way trip.

Intuitively, there's little reason to get a gate link unless it's so you can use it to get back to the Eye of the North. There are probably a lot of people buying gate links expecting it to be two-way and then feeling cheated when they pass through and find out not only that it's one-way, but also that they probably now need to waypoint back if they want to return. Not everybody is going to be scouring the forums or the wiki for a potential catch before purchasing an upgrade like that.

The general assumption as new instances are added is that you can get nickled and dimed by waypoint fees every time you want to visit... or you can pay fifty silver upfront to not have to worry about it. The Eye of the North, which is advertised as a hub where players are expected to gather (similar to Lion's Arch) is currently the only location in Tyria that you can't get to without paying a fee every time. Sure, there are other locations which can take a bit of time to get to, but with mounts nowadays it often isn't that long, and you can do some harvesting and/or participate in some events along the way.

I'm finding it's not a big deal because, quite frankly, despite mounts, I'll spend more traversing a single map doing completions, or zone events. I honestly can't tell you the last time "it's going to cost X to do that" even entered my mind before hitting the WP I wanted to fast travel to. I find it more than ironic that doing zone events, in any zone, is accompanied by "X WP for Y event" links in chat. If you're at the extreme end of a map, you'll never ride there fast enough. Despite all of this, I still make more money doing the events, even w/out daily completion's 2 gold, to justify the expenditure. I think teleport costs might have actually been a big deal, for a few hours on my very first day? After that, especially since I didn't have a mount, it was well worth it to use the feature.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"miraude.2107" said:I'm surprised they didn't update the Hall of Monuments Portal Stone.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments_Portal_Stone

It would have been a nice solution. They could make it like the Spearmarshal's Plea where it could take you to Sun's Refuge (once you unlocked it) or the Griffon Sanctuary. The same thing could have been done with the Portal Stone. Present it to Aurene after completing the story missions to have her modify it or something.

That is the 1st thing I used when I read about the story... place was empty, I was completely confused. Tried it a few times , logged off.. and still nothing.Why create a 2nd Eye of the north instance? weird

@"miraude.2107" said:I'm surprised they didn't update the Hall of Monuments Portal Stone.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments_Portal_Stone

It would have been a nice solution. They could make it like the Spearmarshal's Plea where it could take you to Sun's Refuge (once you unlocked it) or the Griffon Sanctuary. The same thing could have been done with the Portal Stone. Present it to Aurene after completing the story missions to have her modify it or something.

I would have to agreed, it s a bit (and I hesitate saying this) lazy that this was not done to begin with. They must have known we had it, they had to have known we would use the ones we were given. I totally accept that they represent different instances and that can make it difficult. But the "View eye the north before your friends arrived" is still account based when going there and no different from the HoM portal stone.

Now that I've had my cry here's a few suggestions for a solution:

1. Change existing HoM portal stones to point to the new Map / Open World EotN
  2. Add a selection page like the other passes and portals have so that the HoM Portal Stone can take you to either your account based instance or the Open World Map
  3. Remove the tithe to the account based instance and add that gw1 merchant unlock as an upgrade to Lady Chamilla's for free. Allowing access to the reward merchant in the new map along with the rewards.
  4. okay......I ran out of ideas :p

But please by all means do update change this, it is a total removal of immersion going there via HoM stone press M double click WP........Just total...........YOU KNOW!

Excellent. I'll focus on finishing the previous chapter with my remaining characters in the meantime.

It did seem a bit weird that a location which seemed to be intended to be visited repeatedly was the only one that you always had to pay to get to, whatever the "It doesn't matter!" crowd tried to say.

@Andrew Gray.5816 said:Hello! I wanted to let you know that in an upcoming build, EotN will be added automatically as an available destination in the existing Icebrood Saga Portal Tome.

Thank you so much Andrew, this is great news :)

It wasn't the cost that got me but that I couldn't go there direct from either WvW or my preferred lounge - Armistice Bastion.

@Kitich.4580 said:Well, I see no problem in paid WP for the story instance. Through, as it was said, this is going to be a hub. We are going to use it every day for strike missions, Anet wants us to invest into it, building upgrades. Remember the Sun's Refuge, which contained nothing but a few 1-time achievements. We had multiple teleports to it and nothing for Eyes of the North. Just I see no reason to invest. It's hard to call home the place with the paid entrance.

How many homes have you, in real life, that did not require payment for access? I pay every month for mine.

@"draxynnic.3719" said:Excellent. I'll focus on finishing the previous chapter with my remaining characters in the meantime.

It did seem a bit weird that a location which seemed to be intended to be visited repeatedly was the only one that you always had to pay to get to, whatever the "It doesn't matter!" crowd tried to say.

Let's not dip into fallacy here, shall we? When I TP to Lion's Arch from whatever map I'm working on, it costs silver to do so, and, it's had this cost since Day 1 of the game. "But I can ride for two hours through different maps and get there for free" notwithstanding, the TP cost has always been here, and, in particular, this one is being addressed.

re: How many homes have you, in real life, that did not require payment for access? I pay every month for mine. - This isn't your home, or mine. Let's ask the question properly then:How many in game convenience areas require payment? - ZERO, because Andrew Gray has already said that they're adding Eye of the North to the Icebrood Saga portal scroll in a future update. ANet agrees with this, or it was intended to be implemented after. Either way, ANet agrees that a convenience area should be convenient.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Kitich.4580 said:Well, I see no problem in paid WP for the story instance. Through, as it was said, this is going to be a hub. We are going to use it every day for strike missions, Anet wants us to invest into it, building upgrades. Remember the Sun's Refuge, which contained nothing but a few 1-time achievements. We had multiple teleports to it and nothing for Eyes of the North. Just I see no reason to invest. It's hard to call home the place with the paid entrance.

How many homes have you, in real life, that did not require payment for access? I pay every month for mine.

I have one and it's paid off, so I no longer pay for access.

re: Let's not dip into fallacy here, shall we? When I TP to Lion's Arch from whatever map I'm working on, it costs silver to do so, and, it's had this cost since Day 1 of the game. - No, let's call a thing what it is - Eye of the North is not a city, it is a convenience area. These have not had a travel cost. And EotN won't, - as Andrew Gray has already told us. Why are people still insisting that a convenience are should not be convenient? Especially since ANet has already settled this?

@Image.8630 said:

@"miraude.2107" said:I'm surprised they didn't update the Hall of Monuments Portal Stone.

That is the 1st thing I used when I read about the story... place was empty, I was completely confused. Tried it a few times , logged off.. and still nothing.Why create a 2nd Eye of the north instance? weird

You have to go to the map and click on the WP and it tells you that you are going out of the instance and takes you to the current EotN. I think it cost me 1 silver 37 copper.

@kharmin.7683 said:

I have one and it's paid off, so I no longer pay for access.

Except for a taxes :)

@"Elden Arnaas.4870" said:Of course everyone is entitled to express their opinion here, so long as you don't violate the rules. Please express some more - All of you crying out against this will refuse to use the portal scroll to travel to EotN when that option becomes available?

...and here is the fallacy. Perhaps it's not that we're "crying out against" something, but stating how much of a non-issue it is. It's great that you found a few silvers, spent regularly, to be breaking your bank, but some of us aren't seeing it that way. The last post I quoted stated that this was the first area intended to be visited regularly that it cost to travel to. I specifically used Lion's Arch when calling out the fallacy because I'm sure that LA was meant to be visited regularly. I even pointed out, in my last post, that this was being fixed. I am not heartbroken by this, just as I wasn't heartbroken by it costing money to go to EotN. So, instead of "calling out" what you want others to have said, how about you respond to what was actually said, that would be great, yes?

@Andrew Gray.5816 said:Hello! I wanted to let you know that in an upcoming build, EotN will be added automatically as an available destination in the existing Icebrood Saga Portal Tome.

Thank you Thank you, ANet.The game devs saved the day again.

For myself, it was always about the principal of the thing, not the trivial amount of silvers.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

@"draxynnic.3719" said:Excellent. I'll focus on finishing the previous chapter with my remaining characters in the meantime.

Let's not dip into fallacy here, shall we? When I TP to Lion's Arch from whatever map I'm working on, it costs silver to do so, and, it's had this cost since Day 1 of the game. "But I can ride for two hours through different maps and get there for free" notwithstanding, the TP cost has always been here, and, in particular, this one is being addressed.

You do know you can go into spvp lobby or wvw and take portal to lions arch for free from anywere right?So no need to ride for 2 hours through diffrent maps.And its been there since day 1 of game release.