Legendary Equipment and Templates - [Merged]

I do not have Legendary Armor, so my feedback is, Neat.

I do have a question/statement.Is there going to be a way to make Legendary Armor outside of Raiding or WvW or PvP? I say Raid instead of PvE because to get Legendary Armor in WvW and PvP you simply have to play WvW or PvP no specific build required. Raid requires very specific builds to kill a boss due to boss timer, which acts as a DPS check, in a game where using third-party software is not allowed to check your DPS. But hey we have more build templates, neat.

This looks nice and like the kind of features I first thought the template system would have had.

However, why are you spending time and resources on developing this only for legendary quality gear?

It feels as if you guys are once again putting yourselves between a rock and a hard place when it comes to monetization, past monetization, future monetization, account-progression diversity or ideals and perceived fairness.

I guess most people today are investing into legendaries and play a limited amount of characters. It would come as no surprise if that is the majority of the players with some sort of end goal of perhaps playing 3 characters that can all share a full set of legendaries.

However, there are other people who have supported the game, want to continue to support the game and who have listened to the old design philosophies about horizontal progression. So in contrast they may not have aimed towards legendaries and rather spent the equivalent gold on multiple sets of ascended items. They have perhaps rather invested into their accounts by buying character slot expansions etc. So now they have 20 characters and 20 sets of ascended gear as their strategic approach to build diversity and account progression.

Building a system like this for all forms of account bound gear would help far more players and as such be much less more effective use of your development resources. The question then becomes if such a system would render less possible template upgrade sales, but the same time, why develop something for legendary only and look to monetize the other account bound stuff?

I would seriously suggest that you consider these things if you spend development time on this stuff. It would just be sad to see you further alienating people who bought into the horizontal progression philosophy and supported you by buying alot of account upgrades towards that end only now to see conformation towards a few-character with legendary and legendary QoL norm. This was already an issue with the template system as is. It would be sad to see the same mistakes again.

At the end of the day, the horizontal gear progression has served you well in the past and is likely to serve you better in the future if you make that kind of progression viable even within the world of few-character template upgrade monetization. There's money to be made by making further account upgrades viable for more different account progression strategies. There's both money and rapport to be lost from invalidating past account upgrades. It is pretty fundamental stuff that you are tinkering with that risks making people who have spent alot of time and money on their accounts alienated. I would be cautious with that even if I'm sure that the intention behind this announcement is wholly well-meaning. It is a genuinely good idea on a feature level. The context is more complicated and warrants some caution or afterthought.

TLDR: I am concerned that this further cements a vertical take on account progression and monetization for that which collides with the pre-existing horizontal take on account progression and monetization and alienates customers who have invested into the horizontal system as it now becomes more and more archaic and inferior instead of making sure that different approaches to upgrading accounts and building gear all benefit similarily from these new account upgrade features. Legendaries and template upgrades are nice but it collides with character-slot upgrades and skin sales the way that the template system is being limited (for legendaries only, to character binds etc.).

First off, I think this idea would be of great value and use to a big part of the player base as well as added incentive to get players to enter game modes like wvw, pvp and pve raids (if this is desired across the board is a different question, but let's assume that more participation is good).

Second, this sounds a lot to me like the next expansion might be increasing the gear level and there is now a push to get legendary armor more adopted across the player base.

Third, I'm rather sure that there won't be additional benefits for players who have multiple armor sets like myself (I have 2 of each weight class). That is perfectly fine. I do hope though that this implementation is properly counter balanced since going by current values, this change essentially makes ascended gear nearly useless. Even T1 legendary weapons, given they are then available on multiple equipment templates and multiple characters, are even cheaper than alternative ascended gear.

What the effect will be on players mid- to long-term will once again have to be seen. As we speak, it is easily possible to "afk" farm a legendary armor in wvw. It's even faster in pvp, but requires specific play times and many players have acquired their legendary pve armor. This makes any gear or item gains absolutely useless, even more than now. This will have to be counter balanced somehow with other incentives.

Just to not be misunderstood, I think this implementation is a natural and logical next step of the current system and I look forward to it (even if this would mean nearly all my characters are then full legi instantly). I do hope that this implementation is accompanied with long-term plans though.

@Aguileitus.2618 said:Hi @"Fire Attunement.9835",

This is really GREAT news. Now having legendary items are really worth the investment on both money and time. However I have a couple of questions:

1. Is this feature going to be completely free or are we going to have to pay to "unlock" slots. I think that crafting legendary is expensive enough to lock this really cool functionality under more payment.
  2. How is this going to interact with skins? Sharing legendary items across all characters is absolutely good, but it would be just perfect if we have an option to personalize every character (or even better, every gear template) as we want (so that my raid Weaver and my WvW have different skins for example).

Regards and THANKS!

One more thing:Assuming we have 3 legendary sets (light, medium, heavy), one of each weapon and all trinkets, what will happen with all extra ascended equipment? We can salvage it, yes, but it will generate tons of Balls of Dark Energy, any plan on putting a vendor or something to spend them on something useful?Regards.

I don't get why people are demanding compensation. Its not like your Legendary armor has stopped working, its not like you've lost anything. You aren't being downgraded, other players are just being upgraded to the same level as you.

It literally does not affect you in any way.

On-topic: Thank you for this, QoL features like this are what the game has been missing the most.

@shejesa.3712 said:What about people who have 9 sets for each of their classes?

Can we get any refund ? I got 8 legendary armors. I stopped at 9th when build loadouts was released cuz there was no point to sink more gold. Can we get refund or character slots etc ? (Cuz I'm gonna buy it if we got gold back)

Ultimately, what I wish from your template system is this. A system that is truly templates, combining gear, traits and skins into one single template slot.

But the legendary armory is a great addition. The only thing that worries me is the wardrobe with this. Are the skins shared as well? Or will you rework the wardrobe to be on it's own per character and gear loadout?

@"Hannelore.8153" said:I don't get why people are demanding compensation. Its not like your Legendary armor has stopped working, its not like you've lost anything. You aren't being downgraded, other players are just being upgraded to the same level as you.

On-topic: Thank you for this, QoL features like this are what the game has been missing the most.

While you have a point with this, what about having work hard for making 9 legendary sets, for months, spent a lot of time and gold on them, and now people who only made 3 of them have the same as you without any extra work?

You say that Anet's not taking anything from us, well, "kinda", if you wasted 10k+ Gold on making those sets, this gold could have been destinated to make other legendaries, like both Gens of weapons.

You guys must think about that "feeling" too.

Its really good to see that you've taken onboard the previous feedback about the template and are doing something with legendary gear.

Please please please allow us to transmute our legendary armour differently per template! Fashion wars is important ;) Plus it really useful having a different skin on a different built as an easy visual indicator that I am using the correct stats and am on the correct template. I'm currently having to use different coloured infusions for this and it doesn't look great when you cant coordinate your colours. It would also be good to be able to hide the effects of Aurora, Vision and Coalescence since a lot of players are not going to want to show off their balls showing on every character ;)

My friends that have multiple sets per weight of legendary gear have said that they are worried that they will now be wasted and would like to see the ability to convert the duplicates sets into runes or a different weight set or diffferent leggy skin set (just some kind of compensation essentially).

Thanks for the communication <3

@Rayth.5342 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:I don't get why people are demanding compensation. Its not like your Legendary armor has stopped working, its not like you've lost anything. You aren't being downgraded, other players are just being upgraded to the same level as you.

While you have a point with this, what about having work hard for making 9 legendary sets, for months, spent a lot of time and gold on them, and now people who only made 3 of them have the same as you without any extra work?

You guys must think about that "feeling" too.

It does hurt but this happens all the time in life, and especially in video games. You work hard and then all of your hard work is just given away to some scrub, or worse, other people cheat to get to the same place as you for a fraction of the effort. It doesn't invalidate your work, its just the way things go and its something that we all have/will have to deal with many times.

Maybe ArenaNet can offer some additional benefits like custom skins, titles, etc. to people who've done this, but overall, its best to just accept it and move on, or you become stuck in the past and progress doesn't wait for anyone; you'll just be left behind.

@Delita Silverburg.8632 said:So the fact that I made a bolt for my Chrono and another for my Revenant are useless now? Is there any plans for compensation for the gold we spent to work in the terms of your templates as you released them in the first place?

I have to assume you made bolt twice a long time ago before the 2nd gen legendary weapons came around, otherwise you would have made one of each. Assuming this is the case, you got literal years of benefit from the two before this change is implemented. You are entitled to nothing. This is like demanding arenanet refund you because you bought an expac on release at full price and then 5 years later it went on sale.

I crafted 9 sets (3x3) for each class, there is any chance that we get the materials back at least a portion of them? Because while this is great for me for example for the trinkets, its terrible for the armor since I spent a LOT of gold crafting them because I didn't know (as other ppl) that this wanna be released.

Hope we get any compensation...

@Cyninja.2954 said:this change essentially makes ascended gear nearly useless. Even T1 legendary weapons, given they are then available on multiple equipment templates and multiple characters, are even cheaper than alternative ascended gear.

Let's remember though, as of last Tuesday, ANET made it possible to acquire ascended weapons and armor by spending a few days farming strikes and paying out 15g or so. I think this indicates they have a desire to make ascended gear easier to obtain.

Does this mean they intend to scale future raids and strikes with the stats of ascended gear in mind vs. exotics which is what current raids are presumably balanced towards ? Does this mean they are going to put even more emphasis on fractal content or a requirement for agony resist infusions in future updates, making ascended gear more important to endgame content? Are we reaching at straws, and this has nothing to do with their vision towards where the new expansion is headed, but merely want to inject some more life and excitement to the current player base? All interesting questions.

This is great news. It would be nice to also see vendors allow for exchanges. For example, I have medium and light legendary armor crafted already for wvw. Recently, I decided to make a second light armor set, so I have already purchased all the ascended light precursors again. Figured I would craft the 2nd light set before making a heavy legendary set. It would be nice with this new legendary armory, to be able to do a 1 time trade at the vendor so time and tickets aren't wasted. I could trade the 2nd light precursor set for a heavy precursor set. Just food for thought.

I also don't see a reason why you couldn't allow players a 1 time trade of 1 legendary set for a set of a different armor weight. I know several people who have multiple legendary wvw armor sets of the same weight. They could do a 1 time account trade of one of the second sets to a different weight. It would go a long way to appeasing people who have dedicated their time/effort/money to not feel slighted.