Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

• 2 weeks later...

ArmoredVehicle.2849,

First of all - thanks for the package! The game runs better on Manjaro with your setup 1.9.2 than it did on win8.1 with d9vk/dxvk.

A note: for my 5700xt card the safest bet is dxvk 1.5.1. The .2,.3,.4 and .5 versions seems to have a regression specifically for this video card (family of video cards) - the game tends to crash a few seconds after entering combat, guess due to the "shiny" combat effects. Also the 5.4 kernel seems to be much more stable than 5.5 and 5.6. Other than this i'm able to play with zero issues., no matter how long the session is.

Cheers!

While Nvidia is still my main gaming GPU, I did finally acquire an AMD card to test with, the RX 5500 XT (8GB Model). Very happy with the performance so far and stable in all the games I've thrown at it.

Screenshot was taken using the latest Mesa 20.0.2 release + Kernel 5.5.10. Please note that the FPS represented below is bottlenecked by the Intel G4560 CPU it's being ran on.7eI9IJW.jpg

@"neckfreak.6873" said:ArmoredVehicle.2849,

First of all - thanks for the package! The game runs better on Manjaro with your setup 1.9.2 than it did on win8.1 with d9vk/dxvk.

A note: for my 5700xt card the safest bet is dxvk 1.5.1. The .2,.3,.4 and .5 versions seems to have a regression specifically for this video card (family of video cards) - the game tends to crash a few seconds after entering combat, guess due to the "shiny" combat effects. Also the 5.4 kernel seems to be much more stable than 5.5 and 5.6. Other than this i'm able to play with zero issues., no matter how long the session is.

Cheers!

DXVK 1.5.2 up to 1.5.4 had a few regressions which affected Mesa drivers but were fixed in 1.5.5, haven't had any issues since. Regarding your crash, can you specify in which areas it happens? I can try to replicate the issue on my end.

Hello there,

I'm having some trouble with the installation.Here is my setup:

• Dell Precision 5520 with i7-7820HQ and Nvidia Quadro M1200
  • Ubuntu 16.04.5

I've followed your steps and the limits are properly configured.I've tried both the Nvidia and the Intel packages but in both cases the play.sh and debug.sh blocks while loading.At the beginning I got this error: Call from 0x7bc8b6fc to unimplemented function vulkan-1.dll.vkGetInstanceProcAddr, aborting, but I've removed by installing sudo apt install vulkan-utils.I can use the mouse and keyboard while the execution is stuck, but I cannot interact with almost anything.I've managed to exit this situation only by xkilling the GW splash screen (which is freezed).

Here is the report from the debug.sh before it becomes stuck:

000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 4.21 is a testing version containing experimental patches.000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.0009:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x20000 0 0x22fcd0 4 stub0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x730000 0 0x22fcb0 4 stub0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x730000 1 (nil) 0 stub002c:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x142fda0 (nil)): stub002d:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x153fda0 (nil)): stub0009:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION0009:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init Setting multithreaded command stream to 0.0009:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init The GLSL shader backend has been disabled. You get to keep all the pieces if it breaks.0009:err:winediag:select_shader_backend Ignoring the shader backend registry key. GLSL is the only shader backend available on core profile contexts. You need to explicitly set GL version to use legacy contexts.0009:fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0000000000FDA5A0, L"C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe", 000000000022F140)003d:fixme:msctf:ThreadMgr_ActivateEx Unimplemented flags 0x4003d:fixme:sync:NtQueryInformationJobObject stub: 0x288 2 0x2addb80 64 (nil)003d:fixme:sync:NtQueryInformationJobObject stub: 0x288 9 0x2addbc0 144 (nil)0044:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.0044:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub0044:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub0044:fixme:nls:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 00000038, 0x32f6e4, (nil) 0x32f6e00044:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x38 0x32f6e4 (nil) 0x32f6e0) returning a dummy value (current locale)0044:fixme:nls:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 00000038, 0x32f6e4, 0x2e0ebb0 0x32f6e00044:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x38 0x32f6e4 0x2e0ebb0 0x32f6e0) returning a dummy value (current locale)0044:fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x32f750 0x00000ff0 0x32f798) Stub!0044:fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x32f628, overlapped 0x2e1dd08): stub0044:fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationW (hwnd=0x1007a, filter=0x32f808,flags=0x00000000) returns a fake device notification handle!0044:fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationW (hwnd=0x1007a, filter=0x32f808,flags=0x00000000) returns a fake device notification handle!0044:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION0054:fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW (0x495320, 0x24ef248, {3dada31d-19ef-4dc1-b345-037927193422}, 1, 0x24a4f04, (null), (null), 0x24ef260): stub0054:fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW   register trace class {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}0044:fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x32dc60 0x00000ff0 0x32dca8) Stub!005d:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.005d:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub005d:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub005d:fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW (0x495320, 0x24ef248, {3dada31d-19ef-4dc1-b345-037927193422}, 1, 0x24a4f04, (null), (null), 0x24ef260): stub005d:fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW   register trace class {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}005d:fixme:gdi:GdiInitializeLanguagePack stub

Have you got any suggestions?

Many thanks!

@AlexToind.2059 said:At the beginning I got this error: Call from 0x7bc8b6fc to unimplemented function vulkan-1.dll.vkGetInstanceProcAddr, aborting, but I've removed by installing sudo apt install vulkan-utils.

So while your distro is quite old, technically it might still be possible to run the game. A few possibilities for the cause I can think of:

• The Vulkan loader library (libvulkan) is too old, part of the GW2 package (DXVK) requires at least Vulkan 1.1 support, meanwhile Ubuntu 16.04 comes with 1.0.61 as latest.
  • Some missing libraries, please ensure the Wine package from your package manager is also installed, the game will not use it but this method ensures a lot of the required packages are installed in the system.
  • Make sure libfreetype6:i386 (the 32bit package) is also installed.
  • Driver configuration, which unfortunately is the area where I really can't help as I don't own any laptops with an Nvidia GPU.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:So while your distro is quite old, technically it might still be possible to run the game. A few possibilities for the cause I can think of:

Yes I know, I've wait so much to update to 18.04 that I'm now waiting for 20.04.I think that I can wait one more month to play the game from linux ;)

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

• The Vulkan loader library (libvulkan) is too old, part of the GW2 package (DXVK) requires at least Vulkan 1.1 support, meanwhile Ubuntu 16.04 comes with 1.0.61 as latest.

From apt policy queries:

libvulkan1:  Installed: 1.1.73+dfsg-1~gpu16.04.1libfreetype6:  Installed: 2.6.1-0.1ubuntu2.4wine:  Installed: 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu14.2

So the Vulkan version should be fine, but I don't know if wine 1.6 is a bit old.Do I need some wine-dev* packages?

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.I'll give it a few more tries and if I don't come up with anything I'll be waiting for 20.04 hoping in a better luck!

@EagleDelta.4726 said:@ArmoredVehicle.2849 Are you ok with me re-hosting your tarballs in a Github releases page so that I can have my lutris installer just download your, unpack, and run the installer for super easy setup. If there's anything (I.E. the GW2 install binary) that needs to be removed, I can remove and repack the tarball

@EagleDelta.4726 I'm using your package right now (well, it's installing at the moment).

I'd like to talk to you some - would you mind me whispering you in game once I get it up and running?

• 2 weeks later...

Pop OS 19.10 64bit, Ryzen 5 3600@4250mhz Gskill16GB@3600CL15 ram + GTX 1650 Super, I have a 25" 1440p monitor 75Hz, playing with vsync on, the game is so smooth now. Pro goona switch to this computer for GW2 only, I have a massive hate for Microsoft datamining win10, freedom is just a word. Well, now my favourite game is super playable on Linux so im a happy camper. Using Lutris + DXVK -Latest .... its so fun and enjoyable...thank you.

This thread gave me hope I could switch of off windows for my favourite game.

I, however need to be sure if GW2 will run at least ok on my specs:Intel i7 2.20GHzAMD Radeon R7 265Samsung 1TB SSD

If yes, which distro you recommend?(I did distro hopping on VMs, but asking performance-wise for GW2)

@Footcrusha.5092 said:This thread gave me hope I could switch of off windows for my favourite game.

I, however need to be sure if GW2 will run at least ok on my specs:Intel i7 2.20GHzAMD Radeon R7 265Samsung 1TB SSD

If yes, which distro you recommend?(I did distro hopping on VMs, but asking performance-wise for GW2)

You should be able to play the game at medium details and 1080p just fine with those specs. Just keep in mind that Shadows and Player Models will still affect performance the same way it does on native Windows.

@Footcrusha.5092 said:This thread gave me hope I could switch of off windows for my favourite game.

Hi!

I am not an expert in this by all means, but I went through some distros here and there. Since your GPU is radeon, I assume you will go for the opensource drivers, which are embedded in the kernel. Thus, I recommend a distribution with rolling release.

Personally I use Manjaro Linux (Which is based on Arch Linux). Before I built my PC though, I was happy on Ubuntu Mate on my older laptop. Ubuntu based systems tend to have more guides out there, but I am personally happy with Manjaro and feel it is quite friendly enough.

Cheers!

Quick question...I havent been able to find the answer with a search, my apologies if its been asked already...is there anyway to get the DPI scaling working? My Ubuntu box is running on a 4k monitor, and the interface is wayyy too small without DPI scaling enabled. Tried it with both Steam Proton and the (otherwise excellent) packages in this thread.

If not, is there a third party workaround? Thanks in advance.

So here we are at the big version 2.0 of the package, I've been meaning to get this out of the door sooner but it got held back due to other projects. So what's new?

I've updated the Wine build from 4.21 to the 5.7, this upgrade doesn't really affect the game much but if it doesn't break anything why not, regardless it's still built on Debian 9 so it should work on any distro released in the last 2 years. Keeping on the Wine topic, I've also added Fsync support, it's disabled by default but you can read below for further details how to use it. For AMD GPU users I've enabled ACO by default for the game, those familiar with it already know the benefits but if you're new, just know that it improves performance in a lot of games. Last but not least there's the obligatory DXVK update. Let me know if you encounter any issues.

Changelog:

• Wine updated to 5.7, Staging patches applied as well as Fsync support (more on that below).
  • Updated DXVK to 1.6.1
  • For AMD GPU users, the game will now make use of the ACO shader compiler by default. Running up to date Mesa drivers is highly recommended.
  • FSync support in Wine has been implemented.

Regarding FSync: This feature is for advanced users and can be used instead of ESync. To use it requires a patched kernel, as such it is disabled by default. Users wishing to enable it need to go in “bin” folder and open the “user_run” file in a text editor. From there uncomment (remove the # sign) from “#export WINEFSYNC=1” and in turn disable Esync (add the # sign) to “export WINEESYNC=1”. It’s important not to use both at the same time.

You should be able to play the game at medium details and 1080p just fine with those specs. Just keep in mind that Shadows and Player Models will still affect performance the same way it does on native Windows.

Thank you for heads up, I will have to get to optimal settings yet.

@Barabeam.4638 said:I am not an expert in this by all means, but I went through some distros here and there. Since your GPU is radeon, I assume you will go for the opensource drivers, which are embedded in the kernel. Thus, I recommend a distribution with rolling release.

Personally I use Manjaro Linux (Which is based on Arch Linux). Before I built my PC though, I was happy on Ubuntu Mate on my older laptop. Ubuntu based systems tend to have more guides out there, but I am personally happy with Manjaro and feel it is quite friendly enough.

Cheers!

Big thanks for answer. I also considered popOS and openSUSE.

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks for answer. I also considered popOS and openSUSE.

You are welcome :) ,, I think it is also totally ok to do some distro-hopping for a while until you find what you prefer more, if you have the time to try different things. Also with time as you learn you can customize your interface experience to your liking!

Linux gives you a high level of customize-ability

Does anyone have experience running both GW2Hook (essentially ReShade) and arcdps simultaneously?I'm moving from Windows to Manjaro soon, and wondering whether I have to make a choice which to drop.

Edit: The DLL files I have to use arcdps and GW2Hook together is to name arcdps as d3d9.dll, grab d3d9_chainload.dll linked on deltaconnected's website for ReShade, and GW2Hook as ReShade64.dll

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:I've updated the Wine build from 4.21 to the 5.7, this upgrade doesn't really affect the game much but if it doesn't break anything why not

It does break something on my very peculiar setup. When using action cam and a gamepad (so I am using xf86-input-joystick), I can't move the camera, it gets locked to a specific direction. However, this problem only happens while using a gamepad, if I use the touchpad it works (despite the fact that the underlying code for both ultimately boils down to xf86PostMotionEvent).

because of this I've been using wine staging 4.21 until now (the issue is present in all 5.x staging releases, not the vanilla ones).

Recently I noticed this same issue in another game (mouse movement doesn't work while the game hides the cursor, only when opening a menu and getting a cursor back), so I am thinking of filing a bug report. It's just been difficult so far to even collect information for it.

I am mostly writing this comment as a headsup, in case you have any advice to share.

@"Hell Nirvana.9045" said:Does anyone have experience running both GW2Hook (essentially ReShade) and arcdps simultaneously?I'm moving from Windows to Manjaro soon, and wondering whether I have to make a choice which to drop.

Edit: The DLL files I have to use arcdps and GW2Hook together is to name arcdps as d3d9.dll, grab d3d9_chainload.dll linked on deltaconnected's website for ReShade, and GW2Hook as ReShade64.dll

Hi, to be honest I haven't tried to run GW2Hook on linux, but I am using a vkBasalt (https://github.com/DadSchoorse/vkBasalt) which is described as: ("vkBasalt is a Vulkan post processing layer to enhance the visual graphics of games"). It has its own modifiers, and it can be configured to use Reshade shaders. It doesn't have a GUI, so I had to do a lot of tinkering to link things properly and set up the graphics to my liking :)

Edit: There is a GUI application that can be used to configure vkBasalt to your liking (https://github.com/benjamimgois/goverlay), it can also configure Mangohud which is an overlay that can display fps, temps, cores utilization and more. I haven't tried it yet though and this is why I forgot to mention it.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:So here we are at the big version 2.0 of the package, I've been meaning to get this out of the door sooner but it got held back due to other projects. So what's new?

I've updated the Wine build from 4.21 to the 5.7, this upgrade doesn't really affect the game much but if it doesn't break anything why not, regardless it's still built on Debian 9 so it should work on any distro released in the last 2 years. Keeping on the Wine topic, I've also added Fsync support, it's disabled by default but you can read below for further details how to use it. For AMD GPU users I've enabled ACO by default for the game, those familiar with it already know the benefits but if you're new, just know that it improves performance in a lot of games. Last but not least there's the obligatory DXVK update. Let me know if you encounter any issues.

Changelog:

• Wine updated to 5.7, Staging patches applied as well as Fsync support (more on that below).
  • Updated DXVK to 1.6.1
  • For AMD GPU users, the game will now make use of the ACO shader compiler by default. Running up to date Mesa drivers is highly recommended.
  • FSync support in Wine has been implemented.

Regarding FSync: This feature is for advanced users and can be used instead of ESync. To use it requires a patched kernel, as such it is disabled by default. Users wishing to enable it need to go in “bin” folder and open the “user_run” file in a text editor. From there uncomment (remove the # sign) from “#export WINEFSYNC=1” and in turn disable Esync (add the # sign) to “export WINEESYNC=1”. It’s important not to use both at the same time.

run a bit of wvw with fsync on (used zenkernel) and the performance was worse than esync. Might be an artifact of zen's other patches, I will try it more in the next couple of days.

@Skotlex.7580 said:

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:I've updated the Wine build from 4.21 to the 5.7, this upgrade doesn't really affect the game much but if it doesn't break anything why not

It does break something on my very peculiar setup. When using action cam and a gamepad (so I am using xf86-input-joystick), I can't move the camera, it gets locked to a specific direction. However, this problem only happens while using a gamepad, if I use the touchpad it works (despite the fact that the underlying code for both ultimately boils down to xf86PostMotionEvent).

because of this I've been using wine staging 4.21 until now (the issue is present in all 5.x staging releases, not the vanilla ones).

Recently I noticed this same issue in another game (mouse movement doesn't work while the game hides the cursor, only when opening a menu and getting a cursor back), so I am thinking of filing a bug report. It's just been difficult so far to even collect information for it.

I am mostly writing this comment as a headsup, in case you have any advice to share.

Thanks for the feedback, the only workaround to this would be to apply the staging patches without the affected patch. I need to read a bit how to exclude some of the staging patches in order still provide the good stuff that works (such as esync). Might take some time though but I'll keep it in mind.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:run a bit of wvw with fsync on (used zenkernel) and the performance was worse than esync. Might be an artifact of zen's other patches, I will try it more in the next couple of days.

I didn't notice a difference in GW2 (probably because I don't WvW in large groups), in the usual areas performance is more or less the same for me. What I did notice however is that in other games, esync works in where fsync doesn't (not counting stability here). My kernel is built from the Mainline source + fsync patch from https://github.com/Frogging-Family/linux-tkg

Thanks for the feedback, the only workaround to this would be to apply the staging patches without the affected patch. I need to read a bit how to exclude some of the staging patches in order still provide the good stuff that works (such as esync). Might take some time though but I'll keep it in mind.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:run a bit of wvw with fsync on (used zenkernel) and the performance was worse than esync. Might be an artifact of zen's other patches, I will try it more in the next couple of days.

I didn't notice a difference in GW2 (probably because I don't WvW in large groups), in the usual areas performance is more or less the same for me. What I did notice however is that in other games, esync works in where fsync doesn't (not counting stability here). My kernel is built from the Mainline source + fsync patch from

will try that soon. I try to keep patches to a minimum - bad experiences in the past with 'interactive' or 'oh so awesome scheduler' patches making things much, much worse overall. Just used zen because it is easy to install for me ;)

To put matters into perspective: it seems like I lost 50% fps in 20+x vs 20+x fights with fsync on and a more minor hit in ember bay (ca 10-20%) but again, that might have been caused by zen.

I'll probably have to head down this way to pinpoint the cause of the bug before reporting upstream.

Now to figure out how to get the staging patch list, my distribution seems to bundle them all together.

@Barabeam.4638 said:

@"Hell Nirvana.9045" said:Does anyone have experience running both GW2Hook (essentially ReShade) and arcdps simultaneously?I'm moving from Windows to Manjaro soon, and wondering whether I have to make a choice which to drop.

Hi, to be honest I haven't tried to run GW2Hook on linux, but I am using a vkBasalt (
) which is described as: ("vkBasalt is a Vulkan post processing layer to enhance the visual graphics of games"). It has its own modifiers, and it can be configured to use Reshade shaders. It doesn't have a GUI, so I had to do a lot of tinkering to link things properly and set up the graphics to my liking :)

Edit: There is a GUI application that can be used to configure vkBasalt to your liking (
), it can also configure Mangohud which is an overlay that can display fps, temps, cores utilization and more. I haven't tried it yet though and this is why I forgot to mention it.

The reason I use GW2Hook as my ReShade version is the UI bypass. I don't believe it's done right anywhere else...