We should probably look at Lightning Rod

RegudonNA.4630

@Captain Kuro.8937 said:

@UNOwen.7132 said:Sure, weaver has fewer damage multipliers, but it will still easily hit for 5+k on a crit.

build?

Iunno, I didnt exactly ask the guy who hit me for that in WvW what their build was. I wasnt exactly interested, and the whole process of whispering someone on the other side in WvW is annoying. Looked like your standard D/F Lightning Rod build to me though.

oh ok wuvvy wuv. was thinking that would be kinda hard in pee vee pee.

Oh, right, were in the PvP category. I sometimes lose track of that. Yeah, in PvP I dont think you can hit for 5k. Looks like 3.2k is about as high as it gets, short of stacking might?

Please share a build that will get 3.2k on lightning Rod in pvp. I can almost guarantee, it'll be an Ele with 11k hp, not even a crit chance above 75% without fury, and Ferocity max maybe at 250%.

Even then, the build wouldn't be playable, completely neutered by burst thieves, and all rights and purposes, useless.

Well, youre right on the first 2. Crit damage is above 250%, thanks to a bunch of stacking ferocity multipliers. And yeah, its probably not a good build, though not because of thieves (Assassins Signet just ate a massive nerf, even a glass thief wont likely be bursting harder than 7k). But thats not the point, the point was that 3.2k is the highest you can get and that, as a result, 5k isnt achievable.

The highest an Ele can achieve.... in a perfect scenario.

Meaning, you have to take air and arcane traitline, you have to be attuned to air, with fury, using an arcane skill that grants elemental surge, with an amulet that has high Ferocity which means little defense by means of vitality, toughness or both. All to proc lightning Rod that will get you only 3.2k damage? Which honestly, I don't even think it will grant you that much.

And yet there's a whole thread about it being too high??? To OP?? Even more ironic, other classes are complaining about their damage nerfs!

... Yeah, I'm done.

its not about damage being too high or too low.CC doesnt deal damage.LR as the strongest damaging trait on CC was left almost untouched.Compare it to other CC traits. PB deals less dmg, has cooldown and is interrupt only.Thiefs rupt trait deals less dmg, and harder to proc ( its lower tier trait but still )It just brakes the rules that were set up by the last patch.Patch made CC -> deals no damage.ele deals dmg with cc -> ele cheats intentions of the patch.Is it good or too strong? I dont kitten know, dont play ele.But I bet ele has ALOT of random CC jammed into their 100 skills and perma weakness from that trait could be aids.

Lower trait skills shouldnt even be weaker, so thats doubly a problem on the thief trait (which also does only damage).

every class has weaker traits in lower tiers, if you have a problem with that take it with the devs.

And every class also has stronger traits in lower tiers. Trickery has its best trait in the Master category. Holos best trait is in the Adept category. Higher tier traits are supposed to be more complex/flashy, not better.

We have to distinguish trais that deal damage , from the ones where are for defensive option .The elites traits should be something not attractive , but the only thing they offers , is the usage of expansion appropriate weapons and utilities.

PI (thief) + LP(mesmers) , should be in a offensive Traitline , which goal is to do damage just like Ele's Lighting Rod (which is on Air)

Air also has utility traits. You dont want any traitline to be only damage, or it ends up like Crit Strikes. Anyway, Daredevil is, for the most part, an offensive traitline. It has a bit of utility, but most of it is damage. The category PI is in is pretty much only damage. And its just worse than Havoc Mastery. But again, I wouldnt mind if it was shifted to Trickery to replace/add to Pressure Striking.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@UNOwen.7132 said:

@UNOwen.7132 said:Sure, weaver has fewer damage multipliers, but it will still easily hit for 5+k on a crit.

build?

Iunno, I didnt exactly ask the guy who hit me for that in WvW what their build was. I wasnt exactly interested, and the whole process of whispering someone on the other side in WvW is annoying. Looked like your standard D/F Lightning Rod build to me though.

Oh, right, were in the PvP category. I sometimes lose track of that. Yeah, in PvP I dont think you can hit for 5k. Looks like 3.2k is about as high as it gets, short of stacking might?

Please share a build that will get 3.2k on lightning Rod in pvp. I can almost guarantee, it'll be an Ele with 11k hp, not even a crit chance above 75% without fury, and Ferocity max maybe at 250%.

Even then, the build wouldn't be playable, completely neutered by burst thieves, and all rights and purposes, useless.

Well, youre right on the first 2. Crit damage is above 250%, thanks to a bunch of stacking ferocity multipliers. And yeah, its probably not a good build, though not because of thieves (Assassins Signet just ate a massive nerf, even a glass thief wont likely be bursting harder than 7k). But thats not the point, the point was that 3.2k is the highest you can get and that, as a result, 5k isnt achievable.

Meaning, you have to take air and arcane traitline, you have to be attuned to air, with fury, using an arcane skill that grants elemental surge, with an amulet that has high Ferocity which means little defense by means of vitality, toughness or both. All to proc lightning Rod that will get you only 3.2k damage? Which honestly, I don't even think it will grant you that much.

And yet there's a whole thread about it being too high??? To OP?? Even more ironic, other classes are complaining about their damage nerfs!

... Yeah, I'm done.

its not about damage being too high or too low.CC doesnt deal damage.LR as the strongest damaging trait on CC was left almost untouched.Compare it to other CC traits. PB deals less dmg, has cooldown and is interrupt only.Thiefs rupt trait deals less dmg, and harder to proc ( its lower tier trait but still )It just brakes the rules that were set up by the last patch.Patch made CC -> deals no damage.ele deals dmg with cc -> ele cheats intentions of the patch.Is it good or too strong? I dont kitten know, dont play ele.But I bet ele has ALOT of random CC jammed into their 100 skills and perma weakness from that trait could be aids.

Lower trait skills shouldnt even be weaker, so thats doubly a problem on the thief trait (which also does only damage).

every class has weaker traits in lower tiers, if you have a problem with that take it with the devs.

And every class also has stronger traits in lower tiers. Trickery has its best trait in the Master category. Holos best trait is in the Adept category. Higher tier traits are supposed to be more complex/flashy, not better.

We have to distinguish trais that deal damage , from the ones where are for defensive option .The elites traits should be something not attractive , but the only thing they offers , is the usage of expansion appropriate weapons and utilities.

PI (thief) + LP(mesmers) , should be in a offensive Traitline , which goal is to do damage just like Ele's Lighting Rod (which is on Air)

Air also has utility traits. You dont want any traitline to be
only
damage, or it ends up like Crit Strikes. Anyway, Daredevil is, for the most part, an offensive traitline. It has a bit of utility, but most of it is damage. The category PI is in is pretty much only damage. And its just worse than Havoc Mastery. But again, I wouldnt mind if it was shifted to Trickery to replace/add to Pressure Striking.

I mean :Move PI to Crit Strikes or the other offensive trait , and increase its damage and remove its restriction (cannot crit) .Something to be in line with Ele Lighting Rod .Whoever wants to deal significant damage , should sucrifice their defensive Traits for an Offensive one , otherwise we will be back on Bunkerwars

@Captain Kuro.8937 said:

build?

... Yeah, I'm done.

Air also has utility traits. You dont want any traitline to be
only
damage, or it ends up like Crit Strikes. Anyway, Daredevil is, for the most part, an offensive traitline. It has a bit of utility, but most of it is damage. The category PI is in is pretty much only damage. And its just worse than Havoc Mastery. But again, I wouldnt mind if it was shifted to Trickery to replace/add to Pressure Striking.

I mean :Move PI to Crit Strikes or the other offensive trait , and increase its damage and remove its restriction (cannot crit) .Something to be in line with Ele Lighting Rod .Whoever wants to deal significant damage , should sucrifice their defensive Traits for an Offensive one , otherwise we will be back on Bunkerwars

Wouldnt really make sense in Crit Strikes. Even ignoring the cant crit thing, Crit Strikes as a traitline is remarkably straightforward. PI is too "tricky" of a trait to thematically fit in. In Deadly arts there just isnt any space for it. Trickery is about the only one that would make sense other than Daredevil. Sides, I dont think you have to worry about Thief becoming a bunker build. Its not well-suited for it.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

@"RegudonNA.4630" said:Trait does quite a bit of damage and applies weakness - one of the strongest conditions In the game.

Im not sure why people keep repeating that "it does low damage". It
really
doesnt. Its a 1.5 scaling skill. Thats only 0.3 less than a back backstab, which is 1.8 scaling. Sure, weaver has fewer damage multipliers, but it will still easily hit for 5+k on a crit.

I tested fire/air/weaver, with Power Overwhelming and all the damage traits, including berserker amulet and scholar runes.Also, I equipped GoEP and Arcane Power. In the test I managed once to get a 5+ crit with LR, with 24 stacks might and vulnerability on the target, and for what, really? You won't have time to stack might fast enough and sacrifice everything for damage. You won't survive in combat either and you'll definitely have trouble with people way over 5k health.

In reality, when I use it on my sage tempest, weaver, or core, the crits are about 1500-2000 on light armor professions and go down from there. You can't use GoEP on anything, since almost all the CC skills that would trigged LR do around 80 damage and waste some of your GoEP, Arcane Power and Sigil of Intelligence for that matter.

"Easily hit for 5+k on a crit".. nay, I say.

@Malcastus.6240 said:

@"RegudonNA.4630" said:Trait does quite a bit of damage and applies weakness - one of the strongest conditions In the game.

really
doesnt. Its a 1.5 scaling skill. Thats only 0.3 less than a back backstab, which is 1.8 scaling. Sure, weaver has fewer damage multipliers, but it will still easily hit for 5+k on a crit.

I tested fire/air/weaver, with Power Overwhelming and all the damage traits, including berserker amulet and scholar runes.Also, I equipped GoEP and Arcane Power. In the test I managed once to get a 5+ crit with LR, with 24 stacks might and vulnerability on the target, and for what, really? You won't have time to stack might fast enough and sacrifice everything for damage. You won't survive in combat either and you'll definitely have trouble with people way over 5k health.

It was in WvW. Mightve been pre-patch, though Im pretty sure it was on the day after the patch. Iunno.

In reality, when I use it on my sage tempest, weaver, or core, the crits are about 1500-2000 on light armor professions and go down from there. You can't use GoEP on anything, since almost all the CC skills that would trigged LR do around 80 damage and waste some of your GoEP, Arcane Power and Sigil of Intelligence for that matter.

I mean, Sage is a bad prefix for power builds, the fact that it still hits 1500-2000 with that is actually impressive.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

really

It was in WvW. Mightve been pre-patch, though Im pretty sure it was on the day after the patch. Iunno.

I mean, Sage is a bad prefix for power builds, the fact that it still hits 1500-2000 with that is actually impressive.

Wut? Sage is bad? You're suggesting Ele running Marauder/Berserker?

Please post a YouTube of you running around killing people with your Berserker Lightning Rod Ele build in PvP! :open_mouth: I'd like to see how you survive hahaha.

@Sunshine.5014 said:

really

Wut? Sage is bad? You're suggesting Ele running Marauder/Berserker?

Please post a YouTube of you running around killing people with your Berserker Lightning Rod Ele build in PvP! :open_mouth: I'd like to see how you survive hahaha.

For a power build? Yeah. Sage is a weird condi amulet. Fire Weaver uses Sage. Lightning Rod uses Marauder, same as any other power build that isnt glass burst.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

@Lilyanna.9361 said:Well back to core elementalist since everyone wants to hammer the kitten class into non-existence. Got FA nerfed, got Fire weaver nerfed, got water sword nerfed, celestial DD nerfed, cantrips, useless traits, obsidian reworked four times, staff doing no damage, frostbow no damage, focus are only defense lifeline, ToF pointless, stability gutted.

When are y'all gonna GIVE??? Look what you did to scrapper?? Look what you did to mirage, to scourge, gunflame, Warrior dagger, most of the spell breaker skills, Steal, Core Guardian AND Dragonhunter, Chronomancer. The list is practically endless with what THESE particular forums has caused. I actually need to know when is enough is enough, because, my word, we can't have ANY specializations do anything unique unless it is like Core Revenant/Renegade tier. And this is going for ALL classes at this point, not just my mains or other people's mains. The worst part is Anet LISTENS to this and actually believes this is constructive.

How dare they nerf DD eles when 80% of esl games consisted of them?How dare they nerf water Weaver when it tanked 1v4 at the highest level games?How dare they nerf fire Weaver when the only counter to it was water Weaver?How dare they nerf FA ele the same way
every other one shot build got nerfed?

this mentalism again lol, the point is nerfing until its competitive fair, not nerfing until is dead or a meme, and that goes for any class.

• 2 weeks later...

The damage could be toned down a little but I think it's mostly an issue with how much low CD CC ele has, especially weaver. Funny how a lot of these "on CC" or "on interrupt" traits from core seem to suddenly become broken when you practically double the amount of CC available to the class.

@"apharma.3741" said:The damage could be toned down a little but I think it's mostly an issue with how much low CD CC ele has, especially weaver. Funny how a lot of these "on CC" or "on interrupt" traits from core seem to suddenly become broken when you practically double the amount of CC available to the class.Add to it memenado on 60s cd with pulsing stability/unblockable CC (if you are close to it)/rush and its not so "meme" anymore :)A little? Give it shattered aegis treatment (or LostTime - delete it)December 11, 2018

The damage of this trait has been increased by 20% in PvE only. This trait can no longer critically hit.

@Odik.4587 said:

@"apharma.3741" said:The damage could be toned down a little but I think it's mostly an issue with how much low CD CC ele has, especially weaver. Funny how a lot of these "on CC" or "on interrupt" traits from core seem to suddenly become broken when you practically double the amount of CC available to the class.Add to it memenado on 60s cd with pulsing stability/unblockable CC (if you are close to it)/rush and its not so "meme" anymore :)A little? Give it shattered aegis treatment (or LostTime - delete it)December 11, 2018

The damage of this trait has been increased by 20% in PvE only. This trait can no longer critically hit.

I'd rather they don't completely butcher everything but I'm sure they will do that because it's the skills team that designs these bloated skills and they wouldn't want everyone in PvE to not have 20 CC skills so they break bars even by accident.

LR weaver is fine. It requires a certain level of skill, has a much higher learning curve and is more complex than most specs. Looking at core necros which also apply perma weakness together with 5-6 other condis on you non stop combined with 30k+ hp, I think LR is ok that it does some damage and only applies weakness, lets not forget it has lowest hp pool and very vulnerable to condi, any condi pressure and LR weaver goes poof. Having another look at core ranger which just kites you around while tiger or bird crits you with random 9ks to death also pew pewing you non-stop with longbow for thousands of damage, I think LR is not even a concern.

If you nerf the trait and not the specialization (Weaver) which is the problem, you nerf core and tempest builds too.Once that tragedy occurs there is so little damage left, you force many players into bunker builds and I believe people hate that more.

Ele damage is rather miserable in pvp atm, so LR is crucial for many builds, especially core.

The problem is Weaver and it's added cc skills and ~4 sec attunement swap.

Remove some cc from Weaver and buff damage.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Avatar.3568 said:Lightning rod is actually weaker than stone shield

Ranger hard counters most LR builds.Stone shield is a soft counter to rangers.

Lightning Rod Weaver counters rangers pretty well.

There are a ton of projectile denials on d/f for the longbow and the shocking aura, CCs, unblockable knockdown, weakness, and blind counters gs.

Rangers can't even use Lightning Reflexes vs. shocking aura because it stuns us immediately after the stunbreak.

The only ranger build that is a pretty good counter to d/f weaver is the immobilize spam druid but that's just because the weaver build can't get rid of the immobilize very easily because it prevents cleansing wave on dodge.

Try playing a soulbeast with s/d gs with smokescale, does extremely well vs weaver. 3 sb, 7 evades, plus your blocks immobs and knockdown. Even if you can't play soulbeast just spam your weapon skills you will still have a decent chance off beating them.

The builds are viable and really annoying with lots of knockdowns, but tbh it was way over hyped by streamers- some of whom though it would be “strongest along side rev and necro” in pvp. But it’s just a decent pick up in the meta, as in tfs it’s niche- only useful when you do get a lot of stuns which you don’t against firebrands and only ok in 1v1s when taking a sustain amulet

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:[ Quietly in the corner not caring about Lightning Rod and slotting Pulm Impact for memes ]^This@xWiroo.3841 said:this mentalism again lol, the point is nerfing until its competitive fair, not nerfing until is dead or a meme, and that goes for any class.^This@ActuallyAMage.1863 said:More and more people are running lightning rod nowAh yeah? Thats great because I win most 1v1 against LR weaver@Odik.4587 said:Add to it memenado on 60s cd with pulsing stability/unblockable CC (if you are close to it)/rush and its not so "meme" anymore :)LR/tornado is actually the only combination that in fact tends to be overperforming. Increase tornado CD - problem solved@Odik.4587 said:So, is this aids is getting looked at?Nerf Odiks class (no matter what it is)@Alyster.9470 said:LR weaver is fine. It requires a certain level of skill, has a much higher learning curve and is more complex than most specs. Looking at core necros which also apply perma >weakness together with 5-6 other condis on you non stop combined with 30k+ hp, I think LR is ok that it does some damage and only applies weakness, lets not forget it >has lowest hp pool and very vulnerable to condi, any condi pressure and LR weaver goes poof. Having another look at core ranger which just kites you around while tiger >or bird crits you with random 9ks to death also pew pewing you non-stop with longbow for thousands of damage, I think LR is not even a concern.^This@Malcastus.6240 said:LR is crucial for many builds, especially core.^ThisThe problem is WeaverNo@Dantheman.3589 said:The builds are viable and really annoying with lots of knockdowns, but tbh it was way over hyped by streamers- some of whom though it would be “strongest along side >rev and necro” in pvp. But it’s just a decent pick up in the meta, as in tfs it’s niche- only useful when you do get a lot of stuns which you don’t against firebrands and only >ok in 1v1s when taking a sustain amulet^This

Maybe the problem isn't just lightning rod, but weaver getting all those ccs on top of it. But the whole thing definitely needs to be looked at I feel.Also it really isn't fun in teamfights when you got the ele on you and maybe a second player and basically cant get chain ccd so much you can't even get off your auto attacks.Very much not fun on a class with low stab access.Also +1 for core necro nerf. Too much survivabilty for too little effort.And rangers also need some looking at with all their evades,blocks and mobility we really don't need pets that hit for so much damage and constantly dish out all those random ccs in addition to the rangers. Have evaded most of the crucial attacks of the ranger and maybe even got him down in a close fight? Guess what, his pet just randomly ccs you and you die anyway.Apart from the birds and maybe the tiger you can't even really kill those things with how tanky they are.