Soulbeast condi bunker build (PvP)

Murshid.9854

I would like to share with you this PvP build that focus around holding points and creating space, it focus in condi damage and strong 1v1 that can't be defeated except against better player specially those who play tier 1 meta build, my advice for you to be patient cause you would need some time to adopt to it but when you do you will like it and you would see how incredible its as bunker/space_creation, I played +200 match with it in conquest and have around 60% winrate, I tried it in 2v2 but it was bad so I would advice you to not play 2v2 with it.

The build is:-

Specializations

• Skirmishing: 3-3-2.
  • Wilderness Survival: 1-1-2.
  • Soulbeast: 3-3-3.

Utilities:

• Healing Spring.
  • Viper's Nest.
  • Spike Trap.
  • Sharpening Stone.
  • Entangle.

Weapons:

• Dagger + Dagger.
  • Shortbow.

Pets:Bird pet (preferred owl).You can use Iboga or feline when you bunkering but you wouldn't have a escape plan or gain mobility from bird so for less risk but less efficiency I advice you to go with owl.

Amulet: Carrion Amulet.Rune: Trapper Rune.Sigils: Agony + Venom (if you want more damage) or Energy (if you want more mobility)

Playstyle:

• You need to spend all of your time either controlling a point or defending it, don't fight outside point or away from it cause its not a roamer build like the power build, just focus on objectives cause traps are more efficient there and its what helps you winning the game.
  • You beastmode with your owl while moving from one point to another to gain the mobility bounce and if you want to have a 2nd pet switch to your feline/Iboga after reaching your point but put in your mind that you don't have a good escape plan since you can't switch in combat to owl.
  • Never hesitate to use your traps to gain speed/invisibility run away from a fight that you see that you can't win, in fact its very normal thing you gonna do it a lot.
  • You can use Healing trap to get invisibility to finish opponents or use any of the other 2 traps outside the downed opponents range so that you don't get revealed.
  • Always decap the opponent point before using your traps on point cause your traps make you invisible and you can't gain decap progress.
  • Use your shortbow more in 2v1 scenario cause of flank bounce or by kitting the opponent.
  • Use your daggers in 1v1 after you exhaust your opponent condi cleanse with shortbow spam, you can use your dagger 5 to cripple the opponent and 3 to close space and your main damage come from 4 and 2 but don't forget to use 4 after crippling the opponent.
  • In the beginning of the game go for close point but if you have someone else in your team that went there and have more mobility than you (only thief mostly) then rush far.
  • Most of your gameplay you would spend it in either far or close, you don't want to go mid where the big teamfights happen but rather create space by forcing opponent rotations and holding points.
  • Avoid teamfights cause you are good at 1v1 and ganking cause of high mobility so stay away from big fights and force rotations.
  • You can use your traps as escape tool and never hesitate to do so.
  • Always escape when you see 2 opponents heading towards you and use the traps and bird in beast mode to run away from them while invisible with speed boost from bird and shortbow 3rd skill.
  • If you forget to keep using Sharpening Stone you can put it in auto trigger.

I really think this build is good enough to have its place between the good ranger PvP builds specially with latest nerfs.

@Murshid.9854 said:I would like to share with you this PvP build that focus around holding points and creating space, it focus in condi damage and strong 1v1 that can't be defeated except against better player specially those who play tier 1 meta build, my advice for you to be patient cause you would need some time to adopt to it but when you do you will like it and you would see how incredible its as bunker/space_creation, I played +200 match with it in conquest and have around 60% winrate, I tried it in 2v2 but it was bad so I would advice you to not play 2v2 with it.

Specializations

Utilities:

• Healing Spring.
  • Viper's Nest.
  • Spike Trap.
  • Sharpening Stone.
  • Entangle.

Weapons:

• Dagger + Dagger.
  • Shortbow.

Pets:Bird pet (preferred owl).You can use Iboga or feline when you bunkering but you wouldn't have a escape plan or gain mobility from bird so for less risk but less efficiency I advice you to go with owl.

Amulet: Carrion Amulet.Rune: Trapper Rune.Sigils: Agony + Venom (if you want more damage) or Energy (if you want more mobility)

Playstyle:

• You need to spend all of your time either controlling a point or defending it, don't fight outside point or away from it cause its not a roamer build like the power build, just focus on objectives cause traps are more efficient there and its what helps you winning the game.
  • You beastmode with your owl while moving from one point to another to gain the mobility bounce and if you want to have a 2nd pet switch to your feline/Iboga after reaching your point but put in your mind that you don't have a good escape plan since you can't switch in combat to owl.
  • Never hesitate to use your traps to gain speed/invisibility run away from a fight that you see that you can't win, in fact its very normal thing you gonna do it a lot.
  • You can use Healing trap to get invisibility to finish opponents or use any of the other 2 traps outside the downed opponents range so that you don't get revealed.
  • Always decap the opponent point before using your traps on point cause your traps make you invisible and you can't gain decap progress.
  • Use your shortbow more in 2v1 scenario cause of flank bounce or by kitting the opponent.
  • Use your daggers in 1v1 after you exhaust your opponent condi cleanse with shortbow spam, you can use your dagger 5 to cripple the opponent and 3 to close space and your main damage come from 4 and 2 but don't forget to use 4 after crippling the opponent.
  • In the beginning of the game go for close point but if you have someone else in your team that went there and have more mobility than you (only thief mostly) then rush far.
  • Most of your gameplay you would spend it in either far or close, you don't want to go mid where the big teamfights happen but rather create space by forcing opponent rotations and holding points.
  • Avoid teamfights cause you are good at 1v1 and ganking cause of high mobility so stay away from big fights and force rotations.
  • Always escape when you see 2 opponents heading towards you and use the traps and bird in beast mode to run away from them while invisible with speed boost from bird and shortbow 3rd skill.

I really think this build is good enough to have its place between the good ranger PvP builds specially with latest nerfs.

Thank you for sharing. It is good players are trying interesting builds.Not sure how viable it is to run with 0 stun breaks/stability/defense skills in this meta. So easy to stun chain a player.I would recommend that you try the snow wolf. It will give you overall better movement, extra CC, 1 extra leap for healing spring and at least one stun break with immunity frame.

@Murshid.9854 said:I would like to share with you this PvP build that focus around holding points and creating space, it focus in condi damage and strong 1v1 that can't be defeated except against better player specially those who play tier 1 meta build, my advice for you to be patient cause you would need some time to adopt to it but when you do you will like it and you would see how incredible its as bunker/space_creation, I played +200 match with it in conquest and have around 60% winrate, I tried it in 2v2 but it was bad so I would advice you to not play 2v2 with it.

Specializations

Utilities:

• Healing Spring.
  • Viper's Nest.
  • Spike Trap.
  • Sharpening Stone.
  • Entangle.

Weapons:

• Dagger + Dagger.
  • Shortbow.

Playstyle:

The build is carried by a runeset..soulbeast itself can't hold anything, this is not a critique on your build...just my observation about how bad are ranger elites now, straight downgrades not really worth the price tag

Ok, i'll try to be constructive as much as i can.First of all, this build is not able to hold or bunker a point. Getting stealth every time that you put down a trap prevents you to keep the point contested. Other than this, you don't have any stunbreak or damage immunity, how are you supposed to survive against any competent player? Other sidenoders are basically spellbreakers (which can cc you to death easily), protection holo (conditions just feed them with conversions into boons, also they cc chain you), soulbeast/core rangers (which have plenty of condi cleanses and can also send pets to trigger your traps or hard pressure you from range), condi herald (Infuse Light and resistance, you know), mirage and weavers (too slippery for your traps that can be evaded easily). Also, keep in mind that +1 classes exist (like thieves, heralds, sniper soulbeasts), how are you supposed to survive if they teleport to you or snipe you while revealed?

@Murshid.9854 said:I really think this build is good enough to have its place between the good ranger PvP builds specially with latest nerfs.

I don't want to be rude, but this build can't be effective in higher tiers.

@Arheundel.6451 said:The build is carried by a runeset..soulbeast itself can't hold anything, this is not a critique on your build...just my observation about how bad are ranger elites now, straight downgrades not really worth the price tag

Not true at all, soulbeast can hold almost every class if builded correctly. Sadly most people just look on metabattle and think that the only effective playstyle available is the sniper one.

@ZeroSkitzo.5403 said:

What other SLB builds you running? Do you have a condi version?

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

@"Eurantien.4632" said:Condi ranger definitely has something going for it at the moment. I'm not sure this is THE build but I definitely recommend experimenting a little

Out of curiosity, what sort of builds have you been running?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAUh/lFw8YdMJ2JWcPlv/SMZaA-zZoKkCKgMTh4jAfGA

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAUxjlFw8YdMJ2JWcPpv/SeQaA-zZoOkCUAZKFSZE4jB

Best I could come up with from the top of my head. Not 100% sure on the sigils.

As far as experimentation goes, changing Primal Reflexes for Trapper's Expertise and slotting Healing Spring (and Spike Trap, (*if you take out Vulture Stance you might want to consider Second Skin instead of Predator's Cunning,)) can be justified, as can changing Light on your Feet for Quick Draw, especially on the dagger/torch.Other than that there haven't been any substantial changes that made new options stand out.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

@Eurantien.4632 said:Condi ranger definitely has something going for it at the moment. I'm not sure this is THE build but I definitely recommend experimenting a little

Out of curiosity, what sort of builds have you been running?

There are some different things I have tried (only in 2v2s and been able to maintain plat for what that's worth).

Skirm/BM/Soulbeast Bear stance with spike and fire trap and sharpeneing stone. A/d Sb. Merge with bristleback and use shortbow 4 and Axe 3 to proc Bristleback and sb and axe preparation skills along with sharpening stone. That way your first 3 hits do weakness, 3 stacks of bleeds, then your 4th and 5th hit do 2 stacks of bleeds, and your 6-10th hit do one stack (on top of whatever condi skill you're alread using. I had success with dropping fire trap for sun spirit. These builds played quite well with a support.

Also tried hybrid with carrion and viscious quarry with BM axe trait to do a/d s/a with the same traitlines and be able to power spike after they blew CDs with whirling defense after a smoke assault knockdown combo

Currently trying to mess with viper's nest due to this thread. It might be overrall stronger than flame trap due to poison ticks healing you, especially with the WS poison master trait if you go that route.

Again these perform well in 2s with a support....

So far I haven't found anything truly 5v5 top tier worthy... but I'll keep looking.

@ZeroSkitzo.5403 said:What other SLB builds you running? Do you have a condi version?

Currently i have both a power type and a condition type build, both can hold a point pretty well. The power one is generally better against other meta sidenoders (which have a lot of cleanses), but the condition one is not far behind since the damage is hybrid. I'm waiting the meta to settle down a bit so i will decide the optimal one :)