How is the best way of obtaining Ascended Items?

There are several ways to get the recipes for ascended items depending on the stat.

The simplest is for core stats, those you can buy from the master crafter next to the crafting station.

For some expansion stats you can buy them on the TP like viper, minstrel, vigilant, trailblazer, commander, wanderer, harrier, grieving, marshal

Seraph, Plaguedoctor and Diviner are from specific vendors in their respective LS maps

I think there is also an inscription or insignia that you have to get through drops but I forget what it was.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Grandmaster_insigniahttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Grandmaster_inscriptionsshould link you to all the things you need to look for

Trinkets

Other than laurel, one popular way to obtain them is LS maps (season 3, 4 & Icebrood Saga). These trinkets have selectable stats, including those that are not available from laurel vendors. They are a really good way to get non-Berserker stat, such as Harrier (heal support build), Trailblazer (condi tanky usually in wvw), Diviner (hybrid boon/dps).

• LS 3: Every map has Unbound Magic Collector NPCs. Each map has their own trinkets, and never a full trinket set available. You can spot them on your with this icon. Each of these maps has its own currencies you have to farm. Winterberries from Bitterfrost Frontier is known to be the easier currency to farm.
  • LS4: Volatile Magic Collector on each map (map icon). Same with LS3, every map has currency you need to gather to buy the trinkets sold there.
  • IBS: so far, only karma vendors (Bright Shore and Humble Stone) in Bjora Marches that allow you to trade-in its map currency, Eternal Ice Shards. But you can also turn eternal ice shards into your choice of LS4 currency (75 shards plus some karma into 10 of LS4 currencies). The droprate of shards is quite abundant and its the most recent release so the map and events are pretty populated.

Weapons

My first ascended weapons are actually mixed of crafted and from drops. Depend on the stat you are aiming, crafting vendors sell ascended recipes, some from special vendors, some from drops and trade posts. Best way is to really know the ascended prefix you're looking for, then use wiki to search its recipe acquisition (keyword e.g. "recipe: zojja" for Berserker-stat ascended gears). The first table of this page shows a list of regular prefix and its ascended equivalent. If you decide to craft it, make sure to at least do the daily crafting for some of the materials. I'm talking about the ectoplasm refinement, you need lvl 500 of the discipline in any weapon-crafting discipline.

• World boss drops : A number of world bosses drop unique weapon box (Tequatl's Hoard from Tequatl the Sunless, Gift of Aurene from Battle of Dragongfall meta (spoiler if you haven't got to LS4Ep6), or Drakkar's Hoard from Drakkar world boss (spoiler for IBSEp2).
  • Elite specialization collections : Everytime you unlock an elite spec (not even need to fully unlock it), you also unlock your elite spec weapon collections that you can find in your achievement tab. <a href:"https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elite_specialization_equipment">here is the list of all elite specialization equipments. Refer to the mid column of the table for the ascended weapon collections.
  • Fractal drops: in Tier 1, daily fractal chests might give you ascended weapon chest. This is a great way to kick off your fractal while working on your ascended gears. My advice would be get ascended trinkets first, and slot them with +8 Agony Resistance infusions (at the end, you want 12 slots filled with +8 and the rest +9 to do the highest level with the most optimal cost I think, you can buy them from trading post or make it yourselves). If you need extra slots, you can attune and infuse your rings, the order does not matter.

Important note: You can change the stat of your ascended weapons and armors via Mystic Forge with relatively low cost assuming you don't keep changing the stat every day.

Armor

My first set was also a mix of crafted and looted pieces. The crafting process is similar to that of weapons, involving daily-gated material of ectoplasm refinement in any armor-crafting discipline. Or chances from loot too including daily fractals. Same with ascended weapons, you can change the stats as well with the same process, but instead of inscriptions, you use insignias.

All in all, the things above are the things I would have to know if I was trying to get my first ascended set. Obviously there are other means like fractal, pvp and wvw vendors, but I feel, personally as someone who's been doing fractals for a long time, you need to have done tons of T1 fractals first to buy ascended gears there. But you can always do your own research on wiki about ascended weapons and armors for a more exaustive list on how to get them.

Good luck!

Maybe not the quickest and cheapest but by my opinion the most reliable for weapons and armor is crafting. It takes time and resources to get to max crafting but once you're there, ascended stuff is not that hard to get. And it is not in any way impacted by RNG. You will want max crafting sooner or later for other stuff also.

Otherwise higher tiers fractals with some help of rng. Drops are not reliable outside of fractals and raids though. Collections are reliable but are limited and often also quite an investment.

@Fuzdom.6493 said:I suggest CALADBOLG in story mode for Ascended weapon...can be turned into any type of weapon...ANYTIME with ANY stats.

It can not be turned into any weapon type. It can only be turned into a shield, scepter, greatsword, sword and dagger. You will also lose the upgrades when changing type or stat.

It's in the story mode in Orr.

The final step of that mini quest is in Orr but the main story it requires completing is the Heart of Thorns story line.

@Tuna Bandit.3786 said:Only addition I have on above comments: Ascended Armor I buy in WvW, for the simple reason they can also be upgraded to legendary later down the line, and are relatively easy to get.

Only for people already planning to play a lot of WvW. Buying the ascended also requires unlocking the exotics first. That is somewhere around 24 to 48 hours.

@"ErickDntn.1847" said:Trinkets

Other than laurel, one popular way to obtain them is LS maps (season 3, 4 & Icebrood Saga). These trinkets have selectable stats, including those that are not available from laurel vendors. They are a really good way to get non-Berserker stat, such as Harrier (heal support build), Trailblazer (condi tanky usually in wvw), Diviner (hybrid boon/dps).

• LS 3: Every map has Unbound Magic Collector NPCs. Each map has their own trinkets, and never a full trinket set available. You can spot them on your with this icon. Each of these maps has its own currencies you have to farm. Winterberries from Bitterfrost Frontier is known to be the easier currency to farm.
  • LS4: Volatile Magic Collector on each map (map icon). Same with LS3, every map has currency you need to gather to buy the trinkets sold there.
  • IBS: so far, only karma vendors (Bright Shore and Humble Stone) in Bjora Marches that allow you to trade-in its map currency, Eternal Ice Shards. But you can also turn eternal ice shards into your choice of LS4 currency (75 shards plus some karma into 10 of LS4 currencies). The droprate of shards is quite abundant and its the most recent release so the map and events are pretty populated.

Can I use 2 of the same item off those vendors?Or Do i have to buy one and other from laurel/fractal?!

@"Khisanth.2948" said:There are several ways to get the recipes for ascended items depending on the stat.

The simplest is for core stats, those you can buy from the master crafter next to the crafting station.

For some expansion stats you can buy them on the TP like viper, minstrel, vigilant, trailblazer, commander, wanderer, harrier, grieving, marshal

Seraph, Plaguedoctor and Diviner are from specific vendors in their respective LS maps

I think there is also an inscription or insignia that you have to get through drops but I forget what it was.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Grandmaster_insigniahttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Grandmaster_inscriptionsshould link you to all the things you need to look for

Assuming i craft the core from Mastercrafter, can i later change the stats with insignia?

@"kanemi.4903" said:Assuming i craft the core from Mastercrafter, can i later change the stats with insignia?

Yes. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_swap

but keep in mind that any upgrades you don't remove from it will be lost in the process. Also things that can be upgraded to legendary(WvW and PvP ascended armors) will also lose the upgradeability.

@"kanemi.4903" said:Can I use 2 of the same item off those vendors?Or Do i have to buy one and other from laurel/fractal?!

You can't use the same trinkets together and, afaik, even if their stats are different. That being said, each LS3&4 have different trinkets of the same type, it's just that they are not sold in one same map but across that LS maps. As an example, for accessories in LS4, you can obtain Mists-Charged Treasure from Dragonfall and the other accessory can be Multifaceted Difluorite Earrings from Sandswept Isle. Or mix one of them with accessories that you get from LS3/laurels/fracs, it doesn't matter as long as the name of those accessories is not the same.

There is an exception to Mist Pendant, Mist Band, and Mist Talisman that you can buy from this fractal vendor inside FOTM. You can equip two Mist Pendants/Bands at the same time for these two. Conveniently, if you have selected the stats initially, you can change it again using Mist Capacitor sold by the same vendor.

I saw that now it's also possible to buy ascended armor at a cheap price, farming the strike missions. There's an asura near the gate of Eye of the North: he sells armor boxes for gold + crystal shards. The price seems quite low. So it should be a good alternative if you prefer to farm strike mission over crafting.

@Urud.4925 said:I saw that now it's also possible to buy ascended armor at a cheap price, farming the strike missions. There's an asura near the gate of Eye of the North: he sells armor boxes for gold + crystal shards. The price seems quite low. So it should be a good alternative if you prefer to farm strike mission over crafting.

Since I'm 'new' to the game, and not geared, it's not possible to farm strike mission.And nobody in my Guild seems to run strike missions ;(

@kanemi.4903 said:

@Urud.4925 said:I saw that now it's also possible to buy ascended armor at a cheap price, farming the strike missions. There's an asura near the gate of Eye of the North: he sells armor boxes for gold + crystal shards. The price seems quite low. So it should be a good alternative if you prefer to farm strike mission over crafting.

Since I'm 'new' to the game, and not geared, it's not possible to farm strike mission.And nobody in my Guild seems to run strike missions ;(

it is you can do the charr tank one in public group mate.

@kanemi.4903 said:

All strike mission besides Boneskinner and Whispers of Jormag are easy and you can easily join groups through lfg. Shiverpeaks (Grothmar) and Forging steel are super easy. Shiverpeaks has a short jumping part in the beggining but as soon as one player overcomes it a shrine opens and you can teleport straight to boss.You can get exotics from the TP for a few gold that you probably already have in your wallet even if new or just sell some stuff from your material storage. This should be enough for strikes.But you will need a lot of shards for full ascended (400 shards just for chest piece) so it might not be the fastest and most fun way to farm strikes.

@Cuks.8241 said:You can get exotics from the TP for a few gold that you probably already have in your wallet even if new or just sell some stuff from your material storage. This should be enough for strikes.

I do, but not sure which stats for a druid;cleric or harrier.I'm doing cleric for PVEharrier for Raid/Fractalsnot sure if this approach is right;

I need help with trinkets as well...which ones?

@Cuks.8241 said:But you will need a lot of shards for full ascended (400 shards just for chest piece) so it might not be the fastest and most fun way to farm strikes.

That's the down side, I may craft ^_^