Please Provide a Way to Search Character Names

Spiral.3724

I would love to have a database where we can find out if our desired character name is already taken. It could even have a feature where it gives you alternative suggetions that are available if your first choice is not. eg. I want "Sunspear Lola" and it's taken so it suggests "Sunspear Lolita", "Moonspear Lola", "Sunsword Lola", etc.A character's name is so important and yet it's the last thing we choose when creating a toon. I can get all the way to the end with a specific idea in mind, and my whole appearance built around it, only to find out I have to name my character "II Blónddéè II". :s

The easiest way I have found is if you possess a name change contract. Once you double click the contract, it opens a small window in game to type your desired character name. It instantly tells you if a name meets requirements and if it is available (like the final screen of character creation). You can simply keep changing the name in that window to check as many names as you'd like. You can cancel without ever committing the name change, of course.

Could always skip forward to the name part in character creation to check availability then when a name is chosen delete the char and start over. At that point the name will be saved to your account for 24 hours so you can take your time creating the right look..

Be careful what you ask for. ANet might give it to you.

• Like 1

I think this would not be a good thing to have at all . I can see it leading to even more problems than currently are. with stalking and so forth . this would only make it more easy for stalking to happen . let us hope this is something anet does not do at all . that said I will say how ever it would been nicer if anet had a list of names you that was not in use or taken .that you could pick from and choose a new name out of the blue . if your having a problem coming up with a new name or just wanted something different name wise . and then once you picked that new name from the list the name is taken out of the data base and no longer useable . would be a much more better fix to this and not lead or add to any more current or new problems

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:I think this would not be a good thing to have at all . I can see it leading to even more problems than currently are. with stalking and so forth . this would only make it more easy for stalking to happen . let us hope this is something anet does not do at all . that said I will say how ever it would been nicer if anet had a list of names you that was not in use or taken .that you could pick from and choose a new name out of the blue . if your having a problem coming up with a new name or just wanted something different name wise . and then once you picked that new name from the list the name is taken out of the data base and no longer useable . would be a much more better fix to this and not lead or add to any more current or new problems

How would it make stalking easier?

Especially since, as many people have shown, there are already several ways to see which names are taken, including adding it to your friends list. How is it easier to stalk someone via a searchable list of names than by adding them as a friend in-game?

• Like 1

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:I think this would not be a good thing to have at all . I can see it leading to even more problems than currently are. with stalking and so forth . this would only make it more easy for stalking to happen .

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Not a searchable list, but a simple box where you put in your desired character name and it pops up whether it's taken or not. I wouldn't really want to see a list of ALL the names ever created! That would be immense! :)

• 4 years later...

Sadly, it's a P2W feature that's a part of the Name Change Contract in the Gem Store for about $10. The Name Change Contract will check to see if a name is already taken automatically, and if it's taken there will be a "Red X" and if the name is free there will be a "Green Check Mark". Once you use it, though, you will lose this feature.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Andrew.2604 said:

Sadly, it's a P2W feature that's a part of the Name Change Contract in the Gem Store for about $10. The Name Change Contract will check to see if a name is already taken automatically, and if it's taken there will be a "Red X" and if the name is free there will be a "Green Check Mark". Once you use it, though, you will lose this feature.

I like that tag that says "4 years later..." above your post.

Why would you need to check if a specific name is already taken unless you want to change a character's name, in which case you would actually need to use the Name Change Contract?

Also, how do you win the game through having access to a feature like the contract has?

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Andrew.2604 said:

12 hours ago, MikeG.6389 said:

I like that tag that says "4 years later..." above your post.

Why would you need to check if a specific name is already taken unless you want to change a character's name, in which case you would actually need to use the Name Change Contract?

Also, how do you win the game through having access to a feature like the contract has?

Might be a record, at least for the second forum (as opposed to the original, archived one).  Simultaneously funny and annoying.