Steel and Fire Mastery Meta Requirement is too tight

Let me just start by saying that the new LS is great. I just feel like I won't be completing the meta mastery due to it requiring all 36 achievements. Now, I would really like to complete it, but it would be more doable with more variety or less achievements (maybe 21/36 or so). The enormous number and specificity of required achievements is also why I never bothered to complete other meta achievements from previous Living Worlds. Now before everyone jumps on me with "hurr hurrr you don't have to play," let me just say that I'm a dedicated veteran player who is getting too old to farm this many achievements. I would just like to feel like I can complete this meta with the limited play time I have. How do you guys feel?

Saw it the first day and decided to just take my time. I have most of LS4 achievements incomplete because I WvW for end reward so this will just go in the incomplete pile. Whatever gets done gets done as the rewarded backpiece supposedly is at 27/36. About 1/3 the way , some other people that PvE a lot more are in the twenties (2/3 or more)

I agree with the OP. The better model would have been more achievements than you need with extra AP available for those who choose to do everything. AP are a passively accrued thing and not as sought after by casual players as skins and titles. What's more, the strikes already have their own incentives (loot, armor, achievements, fun, etc.) and the new dungeon (Yeah, it's a dungeon) is rewarding just to play for funsies.

Requiring all achievements for the meta, I feel, narrows the audience for the content. Narrowing the audience is probably the last thing they should be doing.

You either have to get moving up ranks which may or not be bugged but can be obtained with 4 cms active or all 18 armors which will take forever unless "I'm rich you know" types buy them. This was meant to take 5 weeks with the achieves as you need to open chest 5 times to get 5 weapons maybe even 6 cause all of the collections need you to open chest so no one will have title for long time

To me it feels fine, but everyone has a different take on this. My reasoning is that it is tied to the repeatable nature of the strike missions and crystals. Since you can only open the chest once a week, I think they are there to have other objectives to follow while doing the weekly chest run.

@Memoranda.9386 said:Maybe I'm an outlier, but I have the majority of the achievements done without really trying to work at them, besides the Sniper achieve, that much.

These feel better, to me, and less tedious than Grothmar's grindy-feeling achievements.

I agree. These feel much better and flow better than Grothmar's grindy achis.I've done these 'on the go' really, without paying too much attention.Enjoying the new Strike Mission/Story Strike a lot and I'm just picking the achievements slowly.I'm on 31/36 achievements now in total.

@Memoranda.9386 said:Maybe I'm an outlier, but I have the majority of the achievements done without really trying to work at them, besides the Sniper achieve, that much.

These feel better, to me, and less tedious than Grothmar's grindy-feeling achievements.

I feel the opposite. I enjoyed the variety in Grothmar and I feel that repeating strikes daily is an intensely boring grind. I also have zero interest in the runic armor set and it is too expensive to casually try and unlock. I like the collections though. Why are people opposed to a decrease in the mastery requirements? You can still complete all 36 even with the mastery decreased. I've done daily strikes, but repeating them over and over again for the harder achievements is something that is not appealing to me as a casual player. I don't know why this game has chosen to go this way while other past living stories had more variety and less grind with the mastery.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:You only need t3 for the backpeice, only the title need 36/37 achievements.Generally speaking, i like reward structure of this, you have a reason now to do strikes. The armor set is a really good slow burn, which is needed in this game.

I think that the new crystal currency is the better reason for me to do strikes personally. This mastery requiring strikes turn me off completely, but that is just me.

@"Jilora.9524" said:You either have to get moving up ranks which may or not be bugged but can be obtained with 4 cms active or all 18 armors which will take forever unless "I'm rich you know" types buy them. This was meant to take 5 weeks with the achieves as you need to open chest 5 times to get 5 weapons maybe even 6 cause all of the collections need you to open chest so no one will have title for long time

I think you are right.

You really only have room to miss one achievement. It does seem very unforgiving compared to the others in the past. I've done all the "hard" stuff. But its definitely noticeable to me that it could be a issue for some to finish.

The Runic Cape locked achievement counts for the meta too after its unlocked. So you can finish without the massive armor sink. But its still a good while of farming strikes for the scraps.

@megakittytron.5971 said:

I feel the opposite. I enjoyed the variety in Grothmar and I feel that repeating strikes daily is an intensely boring grind. I also have zero interest in the runic armor set and it is too expensive to casually try and unlock. I like the collections though. Why are people opposed to a decrease in the mastery requirements? You can still complete all 36 even with the mastery decreased. I've done daily strikes, but repeating them over and over again for the harder achievements is something that is not appealing to me as a casual player. I don't know why this game has chosen to go this way while other past living stories had more variety and less grind with the mastery.

Because all you get is AP and a title. Shouldn’t those that complete more achievements be rewarded? Unlike previous seasons, the new shiny armor/backpack skin is unlocked earlier.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Memoranda.9386" said:Maybe I'm an outlier, but I have the majority of the achievements done without really trying to work at them, besides the Sniper achieve, that much.

Because all you get is AP and a title. Shouldn’t those that complete more achievements be rewarded? Unlike previous seasons, the new shiny armor/backpack skin is unlocked earlier.

Ok. Maybe keep the 36 achievos for the title, but offer more choices and variety. My main gripe is that we have to complete every last one of the 35/36 achievements for the title. More options are always fun. In "War Eternal" for instance, i'm still stuck at 16/18 because I never bothered to keep grinding that one quest with collecting soul binders.

@"Memoranda.9386" said:Maybe I'm an outlier, but I have the majority of the achievements done without really trying to work at them, besides the Sniper achieve, that much.

Ok. Maybe keep the 36 achievos for the title, but offer more choices and variety. My main gripe is that we have to complete every last one of the 35/36 achievements for the title. More options are always fun. In "War Eternal" for instance, i'm still stuck at 16/18 because I never bothered to keep grinding that one quest with collecting soul binders.

Why can't there be a reward for completing nearly all of the achievements?

I never stated that having to get nearly all the achievements was alright by me. As it stands, I'll most likely not get the final achievement reward so long as Moving Up the Rank is bugged, or working as intended with unclear instructions. And that's fine. I only just recently got the /shiver emote because none of the achievements were ones I wanted to do, but got now that I was doing Strikes more often.

It's going to be a looooong time before collecting all the Runic armor pieces. For me, it's not much different than running Fractals daily. In fact, this system is what I was waiting for to really get in to Strikes. The entire lack of an overall, compelling reward system to entice me in to them outside of the pitiful odds of getting the unique Strike-specific item/skin.

So for me, this has been a great update, but the complaint about needing to get so many of the available achievements is completely understandable.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Why can't there be a reward for completing nearly all of the achievements?

A valid point. A meta reward for the masses and a completist reward seems acceptable to me

I'm just in S3 atm. I now get used to how they split the map and story achievements for expansions (cause there are some other things grouped in that section as well, the specialization achievements) while having for most LS achievements the map + story achievements grouped together. (Seems they kept this system for the later stuff after LS3.)

Would have been nice to have separate meta achievements for story and map that could still have been in that same group/section in the achievement window. Though an overall achievement is not bad as long as you don't need to do everything. For LS2 where stuff is separated I hvae done all the story achievements. For HoT mostly also.

Map achievements often take longer. (Grindier and/or hard with jumping or token collection and similar stuff.) I took a look at the one in questoin here. Having the need to do everything for a title seems okay. (Same with the previous episodes where there was only an emote but I think you didn't have to do everything for that?) So nice job.

People can either leave the harder (usually story instanced) or the grindier stuff (map content) depending on what they like less or find harder. (People that are less good ad harder stuff can do the grindier stuff. People that dislike the grindier stuff can try - while having fun - at the less grindier but harder content.) Or doing a bit of everything leaving the grindiest/hardest.

I mean ... I didn't play when LS1 ended and could not get the "Hero of Lion's Arch" title and I returned years later and I'm still playing now. No harm in not geting a title that long term still is possible to get. (No time limit. Mabe later you are in the mood to do the stuff you didn't/couldn't do now.)

• 3 weeks later...

This kind of inflexible achievement is why i'm losing interest in GW2. They did the same thing with dragonfall's war eternal, where for mastery, you need all 18 achievements with no choices. What's wrong with offering some options, there is heaps of content to choose from? I don't mind if the achievements they offer are difficult or challenging, I just want some choices so I don't have to play one way. Not everyone wants to grind out strike missions all the time.

@tmorrow.5189 said:This kind of inflexible achievement is why i'm losing interest in GW2. They did the same thing with dragonfall's war eternal, where for mastery, you need all 18 achievements with no choices. What's wrong with offering some options, there is heaps of content to choose from? I don't mind if the achievements they offer are difficult or challenging, I just want some choices so I don't have to play one way. Not everyone wants to grind out strike missions all the time.

Agreed - the recent achievements have also made me lose much interest in even bothering with achievements at all. The ones in the Saga are not even mostly difficult, just extremely time gated and grindy. The worst ones for me are the ones that require you to compete with other players for completion (i.e. many of the newest strike mission ones) and the ones that require you to do the same exact events 25+ times.

@Poormany.4507 said:

@tmorrow.5189 said:This kind of inflexible achievement is why i'm losing interest in GW2. They did the same thing with dragonfall's war eternal, where for mastery, you need all 18 achievements with no choices. What's wrong with offering some options, there is heaps of content to choose from? I don't mind if the achievements they offer are difficult or challenging, I just want some choices so I don't have to play one way. Not everyone wants to grind out strike missions all the time.

Agreed - the recent achievements have also made me lose much interest in even bothering with achievements at all. The ones in the Saga are not even mostly difficult, just extremely time gated and grindy. The worst ones for me are the ones that require you to compete with other players for completion (i.e. many of the newest strike mission ones) and the ones that require you to do the same exact events 25+ times.

I found it's easiest to get ones where other players can help or hurt completion by just going in by yourself or maybe one friend and doing them. I much preferred having this option over the, as you mention, repeating it 20 times.

@Poormany.4507 said:

What other options are they going to offer then ? We didn’t even have a full map like in season 4. I mean, don’t be surprised that they are fewer choices if this update only brought instance content.

Other that that nobody is forcing you to farm the strike missions every day. Like everything else in the game you are free to play other content.