[E-Spec Idea] Absolute

nomir.4597

ABSOLUTE

Name comes from https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/For_the_Future_of_Cantha!

Summary

Absolutes work with the Ministry of Purity. Over the centuries these scientists have studied the Afflicted plague and mastered their art with chemicals. With further specialization they defeat powerful infected foes, control large outbreaks, or support those who are afflicted by disease.

They purify by death from range with their maces. These unique maces' heads are a collection of bubbling chemical vials strapped together. In addition they apply Elixir Coatings on their weapons to enhance their next attacks with new Toolbelt skills. For safety reasons, only one Coating can be active at a time.

Absolutes also use Preparation skills to set up traps and sterilize areas with their healing and utility skills.

As masters of chemicals, Absolutes apply Toxic Residue on foes on their third auto attacks. They then create a chemical reaction when using any other weapon skill to consume a stack of Toxic Residue to apply poison.

Toxic Residue within an Absolute's range increases their Toxicity Level. When an Absolute's Toxicity Level is high enough they can purify and consume all Toxic Residue in a large area with their Elite, Toxic Purification. The purification is their equipped elite which is greatly modified by their Grandmaster trait. Though the Elite cannot be switched out, changing to a different Elite does change the associated Toolbelt skill.

Traits

Each level of traits focuses on an aspect of Toxic Residue. The Adept traits add another way of applying Toxic Residue, the Master traits add effects when consuming Toxic Residue, and the Grandmaster traits greatly empower and modify Toxic Purification.

The top route focuses on Coating skills and single target damage, the middle focuses on Preparation skills and area damage, and the bottom focuses on Engineer Kits and support.

MinorsToxic Residue: Able to use Preparation and Coating skills. The third auto attack in a row applies Toxic Residue to foes, up to X stacks. Non-auto attacks consume Toxic Residue stacks and apply Poison to the foe.Knowledge is Power: Poison deals increased damage. Take less damage from Poisoned foes.Master of Chemicals: Gain Expertise based on your Toxicity Level. Applying Toxicity Residue decreases the cooldown on Toxic Purification.

AdeptOverdose: Increases Coating stacks. The first attack after using a Coating skill or hitting a foe with a Toolbelt skill applies Toxic Residue.Lingering Chemicals: Preparation skills leave combo fields and apply stacks of Toxic Residue.Sterile Tools: Switching weapons or kits applies Resistance on you and nearby allies and applies Toxic Residue on your next attack. Internal cooldown.

MasterAcidic Reaction: Consuming Toxic Residue applies Vulnerability. Vulnerability increases condition damage and decreases physical damage you apply to a target.Almost Only Counts: Consuming Toxic Residue applies Poison to nearby foes around the effected target.Chemical Feedback: Consuming Toxic Residue grants you Swiftness and Regen.

GrandmasterPurify by Death: Increases the maximum stacks of Toxic Residue on a target. Toxic Purification applies Burn, Chill, and Bleed on a foe for each stack of Toxic Residue consumed on a foe above X stacks. After killing a foe, your next attack applies Toxic Residue. Cooldown for Toxic Purification is X.Cybernetic Epidemic: Toxic Purification creates an Cybernetic Afflicted at the location of foes affected by Toxic Residue. Cybernetic Afflicted attack up X times dealing minor damage. After X attacks, a set time, or taking lethal damage they explode. Each explosion applies Torment based on the number attacks the Cybernetic Afflicted made. Cooldown for Toxic Purification is X.Mad Science: Toxic Purification equips the Absolute with a M.O.P. 428 mech suit. Duration is based on the number of Toxic Residues consumed. Killing a foe while using the kit increases M.O.P. 428's duration. See weapons for more information. Cooldown for Toxic Purification is X.

Skills

Healing SkillDoctor's Orders Preparation: Heal when you place the Preparation. Applies Bleed and Weakness when activated.Toolbelt - Prescribed Medicine Coating: Next X attacks are Unblockable.

Utility SkillsFirework Show Preparation: Applies Blind and Burn. Counts as an Explosive.Toolbelt - Black Powder Coating: Next X attacks are Explosives.

Acidic Chemicals Preparation: Apply Vulnerability and Poisoned.Toolbelt - Acid Burn Coating: Next X attacks are Piercing.

Debilitating Fumes Preparation Applies Confusion and Torment.Toolbelt - Drugged Coating: Next X attacks transfer a condition to foes.

Impactful Surprise Preparation: Applies Knockdown and Slow.Toolbelt - Coating with a Kick: Next X attacks are Critical Hits.

Elite SkillThe Elite skill does not change when selecting an Elite Skill, but the Toolbelt skill does change.

Toxic Purification: Activate and consume all Toxic Residue in a large area around you. Cannot be unequipped. Cannot reapply Toxic Residue when activated.Toolbelt - Toxic Coating: Next X attacks apply Toxic Residue.

Weapons

Mainhand Mace: Throws chemicals at RangeChemical Reactant: Applies Bleed. > Chemical Reactant: Applies Bleed. > Chemical Reaction: Applies Poison and Toxic Residue.Endothermic Reaction: Throw chemicals that apply Chill. Consuming a Toxic Residue applies Confusion in addition. Uses ammo.Exothermic Reaction: Throw chemicals that apply Burn. Consuming a Toxic Residue applies Weakness in addition. Uses ammo.

Offhand Mace:Hallucinating Powder: Fear foes in front of you. Consuming a Toxic Residue applies Torment in addition. This is melee range.Chemical Preparation: Spin the mace to create a smoke field that destroys projectiles. Gain Alacrity while channeling.

Other weapon adjustment examples:Pistol Auto: Fragmentation Shot > Fragmentation Shot > Chemical Fragmentation Shot: Applies Toxic Residue.Bomb Kit Auto: Bomb > Bomb > Chemical Bomb: Applies Toxic Residue.Med Kit Auto: Med Blast > Med Blast > Chemical Med Blast: Applies Chemical Residue on foes on the first pulse.

M.O.P. 428: Gain Stability every few seconds. An Engineer Kit. Melee range.Infectious Treatment: Transfer a condition to foe. > Infectious Treatment: Transfer a condition to foe. > Infectious Corruption: Applies Poison and Toxic Residue. Extra damage for each condition on the foe.Blood Transfusion: Fire multiple piercing needles that bleed foes they pass through and apply Regen to allies. Self Bleed.Embrace Death: Hug a foe to apply Immobilize and Confuse. Self Torment.Immunity: Gain Resistance and transfer conditions from allies to you.First Responder: (Leap to a target location. Daze nearby foes and partially revive nearby allies. Self Cripple. Recharge when you revive an ally.

Note: M.O.P. 428 stands for Ministry of Purity. The 428 references when Factions was released on April 28, 2006.

Story Incorporation

Taimi hears rumors the Ministry of Purity's scientists have mastered the art of curing diseases. As her condition worsens to critical, she rushes to the ministry. The Absolutes promise they can cure her condition, but they don't see her disease as the only condition. They look to purify her of her Asuran genes as well.

@Samug.6512 said:I like the idea, but I don't like the fact that it's yet another spec that locks out our F5. Sure it's the easiest thing that comes to our mind but I hope ANet figures out some different trade-off.

Actually, it doesn't.

His concept states that your elite skill is fixed (meaning that you can't use Supply Crate, Elixir X, or the Mortar Kit), but you can select the elite toolbelt skill freely from the choices available for you.

So his mechanic does not replace the F5 button, but the 0 button instead.Not sure what to think about this myself, tho. I love the spec thematically (chemical engi spec focused on condition damage and mace as weapon is exactly what I want the next elite spec to be), but there are mechanics in this concept here I don't really like. Some examples:

• reliance on auto attacking to build up as many stacks as possible
  • replacing your elite skill with a fixed elite
  • elite skill highly customisable (I think these effects work too differently from each other, it would be confusing that on one Absolute he would summon a pet monster, while on another he will equip a new kit instead)

I like the spec thematically, but I think the concept needs some work when it comes to gameplay.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Samug.6512 said:I like the idea, but I don't like the fact that it's yet another spec that locks out our F5. Sure it's the easiest thing that comes to our mind but I hope ANet figures out some different trade-off.

Actually, it doesn't.

His concept states that your elite skill is fixed (meaning that you can't use Supply Crate, Elixir X, or the Mortar Kit), but you can select the elite toolbelt skill freely from the choices available for you.

Ah, I see, this part got me confused:Elite SkillThe Elite skill does not change when selecting an Elite Skill, but the Toolbelt skill does change.

Toxic Purification: Activate and consume all Toxic Residue in a large area around you. Cannot be unequipped. Cannot reapply Toxic Residue when activated.
Toolbelt - Toxic Coating: Next X attacks apply Toxic Residue.

Thanks for all the comments. Everyone has some good points.

Samug, I do hope ANet can come up with a better trade-off. Mine is a little different, but I don't know if it is any better. I could have clarified better you don't lock out your F5.

Kodama, the auto attacking might not be the best way. I think it would need to be tested to see how it feels and how other ways feel as well. Maybe the Toolbelt skills could add the stacks instead by default. I did like the stacks though with a Chemist. I think the idea of some kind of chemical reaction would be fun.

With the elite I probably went too far. I wanted to give individuals different tools and flavors (minions, another type of transform), but not force it on anyone. I know not everyone wants minions or another transform, but others do. This did turn the specialization's mechanic into an elite you choose through the Grandmaster trait.

Alain, I understand your feelings. I like the steam and mechanical side more, but reading the forums I do agree with many that the chemical side is lacking on the Engineer.

Hugo, I think a bow with a crossbow skin would be the coolest. I think a mechanical staff has some fun flair as well. What sold me on the maces was when someone on the forums mentioned how we get more weapon combinations with dual weapons. With the Engineer having so few options for weapons, the build possibilities won over the flavor for me.

I did pick traps to give Engineers a different playstyle than we already have. I would be open to other playstlyes and tools we don't already use, so it doesn't feel the same. Do you have any suggestions?

Mace feel ill suit for applying something toxic. It just don't feel like it's the proper tool for such a task.The traitline isn't balanced, it's just to focused on the toxin and generally to focused on the offensive aspect. You've created 3 gameplay, sure, but all three are moving toward the same end. It's like adding 3 differents sauces to a dish but whatever sauce you use, it end with the same taste (in this case: condition damage).The path that you take to apply an unique effect (toxin) onto your target is also dangerous because you'll end up both competiting against your own fellow engineer and have these fellow engineer take advantage of your work. Ultimately I doubt it's a good thing to introduce this kind of mechanism (reaper showed that it was an issue in it's infancy and ANet had to change it ultimately...).

Lore wise, it's difficult to imagine those offensive oriented traitline on someone who is reknown for it's ability to cure diseases.I get the ministry of purity extremist thingy, but it feel unlikely that people of this mindset would be willing to share their art with other and altogether they just have the scent of villains that our character would need to deal with instead of working with (They are just like the inquest from what I read here).Last but not least, you seem to focus on the "contagion" aspect of the afflicted in a purely chemical way while GW: faction story and background would hint more toward an affliction of the soul that affect the body.

Suggestion: The afflicted are known for their mutations, their ability to explode and how contagious they are. Try puting less emphasis onto the contagious part of it and more onto the control of the mutation. Favouring self-mutation over trying to directly "corrupt" other.You can also easily introduce boon corruption/condition conversion onto the e-spec (it feel especially fitting). Personnally, I'd see 3 major lines on your thematic:

• Self-enhancement (no boon, pure stats)
  • Boon hate
  • Condition management

And this could give a taste of Dr Jeckil and Mister Hyde.