Strike wont make me raid

Zzik.5873

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem GW2 has with raiding is that raids are a side project. Their main focus is on open world and they handle it very well with the big metas. These open world metas also complement the story well, you fight many of the big bosses of the game there.In comparison Wow's raids were the pinnacle of everything. All the main story, everything happening in the world lead to these big famous raid bosses like Illidan or the Lich King and they dropped unique legendary weapons (not only legendary quality wise but literary weapons of legends) . Everyone wanted to fight Arthas since the start of Woltk if not since the start of Wow because of War3. The opening cinematic for Woltk (very cool one also) featured the Lich King, the last boss in the final raid of the expansion. This is why people started raiding.I agree that something like LFR mode would help raiding a lot or at least make the content worthwhile to develop. It also makes sense in a game without real gear progression. In Wow LFR was criticized that it obsoletes previous raids because it is easier to gear up in the current LFR as in older raids so progression became playing the same raid on different difficulties. It was also seen as a free gear handout. Here these complaints are moot because gear is very cheap and available through any content.

How would you propose a queue system in this game work? Other MMOs have the regular Tank, Healer, DPS trinity to role queue. Here we don't have that but we do have a soft group subset. While not 100% required, things like alacrity support, quickness support, healers, banner warrior, and the appropriate tank make raids 10x more manageable than not having any of those. If you just throw 10 randos into a raid queue you could end up with literally none of those things.

@Cuks.8241 said:The problem GW2 has with raiding is that raids are a side project. Their main focus is on open world and they handle it very well with the big metas. These open world metas also complement the story well, you fight many of the big bosses of the game there.In comparison Wow's raids were the pinnacle of everything. All the main story, everything happening in the world lead to these big famous raid bosses like Illidan or the Lich King and they dropped unique legendary weapons (not only legendary quality wise but literary weapons of legends) . Everyone wanted to fight Arthas since the start of Woltk if not since the start of Wow because of War3. The opening cinematic for Woltk (very cool one also) featured the Lich King, the last boss in the final raid of the expansion. This is why people started raiding.I agree that something like LFR mode would help raiding a lot or at least make the content worthwhile to develop. It also makes sense in a game without real gear progression. In Wow LFR was criticized that it obsoletes previous raids because it is easier to gear up in the current LFR as in older raids so progression became playing the same raid on different difficulties. It was also seen as a free gear handout. Here these complaints are moot because gear is very cheap and available through any content.

I hear you. However; I'd say this is NOT a problem, but a feature. ESO does this as well. The Main plot being resolved in raids is why I personally raided in WoW. I never enjoyed the concept of raiding. Too many people and schedules to juggle. LFR was created to save raiding because too few were doing it. Static Group Non Casual Raiding is and always has been niche. That is not to say that raiding is bad or good, just that it does not have mass appeal. For me, if Arena Net ever opts to culminate a Main Plot in the story in a Raid, I am out for good. I am just done with the non-sense that is required. I will say, Strikes are accessible enough, and while it would annoy me that a major plot point was being resolved in a Strike, I'd probably tolerate it. They are quick bursts of instanced cooperative effort that don't take long to assemble for. My prediction is that Raids will go the way of the Dinosaur and we'll be seeing a focus on Strikes and Fractals.

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

@"Josiah.2967" said:Maybe give a 10% DPS/Health/Healing buff for every player not in your party and call it a day.

Expansion 3 headlining feature: heroes and henchmen. :lol:

lol, funnily enough I believe there's a fair chance this may end up being the main selling point of expansion 3.

250 man blobs in wvw :)

Not saying I support it! xD But wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of henchman mastery system in the future, maybe open world pve only - for example, just like you can't use mounts in fractals, and so on.

I suppose just as mounts have areas they are disabled (ie jumping puzzles), it could be made to work by having "henchmen disabled" zones around world boss locations, and maybe completely disabled on certain maps like Dragon's Stand. And disabled in both PvP and wvw, until they decide to add the equivalent of a "warclaw"...

But random pointless brainstorming aside, yeah I have no strong feelings one way or the other, just curious. /neutral

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:How would you propose a queue system in this game work? Other MMOs have the regular Tank, Healer, DPS trinity to role queue. Here we don't have that but we do have a soft group subset. While not 100% required, things like alacrity support, quickness support, healers, banner warrior, and the appropriate tank make raids 10x more manageable than not having any of those. If you just throw 10 randos into a raid queue you could end up with literally none of those things.

Easy.. . You Que for a dungeon.40% more health40% more dps40% more healing received

You should have no problem healing yourself or getting a few AOE heals from the group to be able to handle any dungeon. Maybe add 20% damage reduction to if you need to.

me neith i'm a casual who enjoys casual content. open world content and living world episodes. a few collections too if they're easy and not too grindy. I've been playing for like 4 years and a few weeks ago i finally got my first ascended weapon by doing the bo collection.I did like the strike mission we got, but it's different from previous strikes that require much more coordinated efforts and bosses are harder too.

@subversiontwo.7501 said:I've said it before and I'll say it again: Strikes are a cool concept but they make the mistake of implementing them backwards.~SNIP~

I realize that there is a substantial part of the GW2 community now that are not MMO-players and rather single-player type of players who have been seduced by the many years of focus on LS. However, in a broader perspective, this focus on LS has apparently not served the company well. Their game ultimately is an MMO and excels as an MMO and that needs to be re-established for the game to have a future. Lately, it seemingly looks as if the company itself also has come to that realization with a return to replayability and good push-pull map design in the pipeline.

~SNIP~

Let me stop you right there, do you even know what the actual true definition of an MMO is? I'm not sure everyone here understands it, and I'm talking the definition as defined in today's world, not as it was 10 - 20 years ago. To make it simple for those that don't get it, I'll break it down: M = Massive(that's an easy one); M = Multi-player, ala multiple players(not groups, just multiple players inhabiting the same world space); O = Online(again, that's easy). So, in essence it's really a huge game that allows hundreds if not thousands of people to play in the same world space alone OR with others. This whole game is basically been single player(s) on the same plane since the beginning with the Personal Stories(all single player instances up until Zaitan until it was redone as a single player instance), and they've continued that with the LS with the exceptions of some parts of LS1(which I skipped because I already didn't like it before release) and this latest Visions of the Past.

Personal opinion is that people should start forgetting about rewards and find what's fun to play, just look for fun...and nothing else, but that's just me(and what I presume most single-player game players look for, at least in RPG's), if you're looking at the rewards, then you've already partially conditioned yourself to always look for the rewards in everything in life.

Raids here have never appealed to me, I Raided in legion and I even mythic raided. I enjoyed it but I also had reasons to do it (The plot was ended there, it was built from the ground up with raids in mind.) Guild wars 2 was never designed for raids, not in one single way was it and it was designed to have WvW be it's end game and I can prove it simply by bringing up that their headlining feature durring the original launch next to a progressive, evolving ever expanding world that you played a hand in crafting (lol never happened.)

Was WvW, the war. The true end game where everything culminated too; The story was there sure but the mist war was the focus of the end game and they abandoned it. The games combat engine is indicitive of a PvP centric game. Why would you need freaking need this kind of gameplay and class design for your typical pve mmo? Even Tera who was the closest game to guild wars 2 at the time, did not have the same combat and fluidity of this game. This game argueably still is the king of that, BDO is cool and all but I mean it feels better on a controller not a mouse and keyboard. Guild wars was built to be something FAR different then it is now~

Its the foundation of the game that is your issue, the game does nothing and offers nothing for raiding to be more pushed toward and raiding has no purpose. You don't gain power through raids, you don't gain anything outside of legendary gear (Obtainable elsewhere) and specific skins. The meant and potatoes of Raids is missing, the end of a story and the growth in power.

Had raids been here from the beginning im a 100% the game would be completely different and built around them, the trinity would be hard in place and not the soft trinity we have now. Gear would be upgrades and there would be tiers that is the ONLY way to make the vast majority try to raid, is by making it the end game and the focus but we are too far down the rabbit hole to do that now.

If they made that jump and tried to do that, the game would die. Im not sure the raiding community heck, I know the raiding community is pathetic when it comes to head count the dev's have even said as much on NUMEROUS occasions and it is niche content. Its small, like very small and it always has been small because this game does not and will not ever cater or probably even begin to scratch the itch or get just the tip of what raiding is all about. Raids are like everything else = destination.

people like to talk about the journey, but everyone I've ever talked too acrossed all the games I've played (litterally all the mmo-rpgs on the market right now) have told me they only raid if there is a point to it. No carrot? No vast overwhelming majority. Legendary armor is not enough of a carrot especially because DIFFERENT and honestly EASIER forms of obtaining it exist.

Story content isnt fun to me, i play once and i never playing story again. Because its boring press F simulator. Its not my thing.Does that mean anet shouldnt develop story content???? HELL NO! Some people like that and i respect that.

I like my raids, i like to join discord with people and discuss strategies about raid. Doesnt matter if its new (those are hella fun first time) or just how to be more efficient on old raids.

So please, keep your opinion to yourself, we understand its not your thing, but atleast stay silent and let us hope for wing 8.

I also like strikes, especially new one and whispers of jormag.

@vyncius.6105 said:Story content isnt fun to me, i play once and i never playing story again. Because its boring press F simulator. Its not my thing.Does that mean anet shouldnt develop story content???? HELL NO! Some people like that and i respect that.

I like my raids, i like to join discord with people and discuss strategies about raid. Doesnt matter if its new (those are hella fun first time) or just how to be more efficient on old raids.

So please, keep your opinion to yourself, we understand its not your thing, but atleast stay silent and let us hope for wing 8.

This needs to be reiterated. Raiders aren't coming on the forums demanding arenanet stop making story content or single player content. But toxic single player gamers who don't want to interact with anyone ever are on here demanding arenanet stop making any coop content every time arenanet introduces any kind of new coop content.

I‘ve seen plenty of toxic lobby player gamers call for the end of the LWs content, because you „just run aound pressing 1“.OP has never demanded Anet to create less instanced lobby content, he just stated that SMs won‘t make him raid, since that is Anets plan to bring more people into raids via SMs.

Telling someone to keep his opinion to himself and to stay silent is pretty toxic in itself.

Some people will never press more than AA on their main character and refuse to learn basic 3-button rotation too. Should every single one of them make a thread as well so they feel more special? Dman.. should've thought about it when dps golem was added to the game. This could've made a great post!

@Zaklex.6308 said:Personal opinion is that people should start forgetting about rewards and find what's fun to play, just look for fun...and nothing else, but that's just me(and what I presume most single-player game players look for, at least in RPG's), if you're looking at the rewards, then you've already partially conditioned yourself to always look for the rewards in everything in life.

I don't fully agree with this being a negative thing because a huge driving factor of the game is cosmetics/gear and theme park checklists.

The latter, sure it is largely inconsequential (though I imagine AP hunters must get a sense of satisfaction ticking things off), but when it comes to skins and gear - there's a lot of fun to be had in making things look good, or acquiring legendary gear to allow the fun of endless free stat experimentation.

But just as in real life if you have to do a job that isn't the most exciting thing eg to be able to buy something that gives you pleasure, the hurdles to earn some of this might not be fun, though the potential fun to be had drives a player through it.

@vyncius.6105 said:Story content isnt fun to me, i play once and i never playing story again. Because its boring press F simulator. Its not my thing.Does that mean anet shouldnt develop story content???? HELL NO! Some people like that and i respect that.

Please, let's not dissuade folks from posting their opinions. That is what the forums are for. It's ok to have a difference of opinion (some would even argue that it is healthier), but please don't make efforts to silence others.

@Raizel.1839 said:The biggest wall to enter raid for new players are LIs, so in order for strikes to break that wall, they should drop LIs too.

No, the biggest wall for new players to enter into raids is EXPERIENCE, which they will not get while getting carried in groups which demand LI.

Find a training run and gather experience there, not leech off of a group which looks for already experienced players.

If you are new to raids or want to get into raiding, and are looking at groups which demand LI or KP, you are looking in the wrong place.