Where is Wing 8, and raids need better rewards.

It's Wednesday night, I'm logging into my favorite game Guild Wars 2. It has the best form of combat in an MMO and I really love raiding. It's the most challenging content in the game and is really satisfying when you win. So I go to the LFG tool. I look, and there are no raids happening. Not a single one. It's the same old story. Everyone has already got their clears from the Monday-Tuesday rush. So I quietly log off the game, sad I didn't get to have my fun in favor of some inferior game.

That's my typical night after Tuesday. Monday and Tuesday are great because everyone is clearing raid bosses with zeal. But think if there was a daily for kill a "specific raid boss" or kill a "PoF/HoT raid boss" that was part of the 10 daily achievement points, and it had a special little reward chest just like "Mist Guard Killer" or "Kryta Vista Viewer". Inside the chest is XX Gaeting crystals or Mag Shards respectively that don't count towards the weekly cap. Then people would at least be more inclined to run that boss or more generally run raids more than just 2 days a week heavy then nothing for the rest of the time.

Also really hoping for news about Wing 8 soon! It's been 9 months and I'm excited for more challenging content!Strikes don't really do it for me, sorry, but they just are too boring and easy.

• Like 1

Content releases always draw a lot of players from other content. The Visions of the Past content drop is also significantly bigger than expected, and one of the main foci here: strikes, is in direct competition to raid content from a player attention perspective.

The best way to circumvent this issue is:

• play the content with how it was designed in mind: find a guild. Guild members of mine were raiding on both Wednesday and Thursday night (EU time zone) without any issues. Unfortunately, even if they do need to fill up via PUGs, those spots go fast.

There has been no information on any new raids. At this point in time, I would not get my hopes up that any new wings are coming any time soon.

@"Delita Silverburg.8632" said:Also really hoping for news about Wing 8 soon! It's been 9 months and I'm excited for more challenging content!Strikes don't really do it for me, sorry, but they just are too boring and easy.

From: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/97028/a-message-from-andrew-gray/p1 :

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:Raids are a trickier beast. They're a unique experience and community that we want to find better ways to support, the biggest challenge in creating more is the small audience they attract. We gathered data to determine why, and the most common answer was that there is a giant leap in difficulty between raids and other endgame content, and there isn't anything to help players work their way up.

So, until they can increase the raid-population (with strikes etc...) don't get your hopes up about Wing 8.

The two comments about raids being fine are coming from EU servers. I'm in NA and it's a whole other story over here. NA raid LFG is empty after Tuesday every week consistently. Ignore the fact that there is a new release of content this week as it has little impact on this point. My point is that it's always like this, and I think a daily reward could get people to raid more than just the first 2 days of the week.

@"Rodrick.1942" said:About next wing, Anet already made a clear explanation long time ago that wing 7 is the last wing of raid, and they also said that the majority player of this game is not favor to raid too, so it's not worth to continue this sub project.

"Raids are a trickier beast. They're a unique experience and community that we want to find better ways to support, the biggest challenge in creating more is the small audience they attract. We gathered data to determine why, and the most common answer was that there is a giant leap in difficulty between raids and other endgame content, and there isn't anything to help players work their way up.Our intention was for Strike Missions to be that intermediary step into 10-person content. As we've mentioned before and you've likely noticed, strike missions are getting harder. Once a full suite of strike missions is complete there should be a graceful ramp up to the existing raid content rather than the imposing leap that previously existed, and our hope is once that ramp is in place, the number of players participating in raids will go up. In addition to that, we're striving to make improvements to Strike Missions themselves to make grouping easier, and to improve the rewards. We hope this will help introduce more people to 10-person content, which will in turn increase the number of people interested in Raids.Regardless of if that succeeds or not, we understand the importance of balancing our efforts between accessible content with broad appeal, and content that appeals to the more hard core audience, and recognize that we need to do a better job of supporting the latter." https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/97028/a-message-from-andrew-gray/p1

There might be hope, they also said that they were not planning new expansion, but here we are

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:

@"Rodrick.1942" said:About next wing, Anet already made a clear explanation long time ago that wing 7 is the last wing of raid, and they also said that the majority player of this game is not favor to raid too, so it's not worth to continue this sub project.

"Raids are a trickier beast. They're a unique experience and community that we want to find better ways to support, the biggest challenge in creating more is the small audience they attract. We gathered data to determine why, and the most common answer was that there is a giant leap in difficulty between raids and other endgame content, and there isn't anything to help players work their way up.Our intention was for Strike Missions to be that intermediary step into 10-person content. As we've mentioned before and you've likely noticed, strike missions are getting harder. Once a full suite of strike missions is complete there should be a graceful ramp up to the existing raid content rather than the imposing leap that previously existed, and our hope is once that ramp is in place, the number of players participating in raids will go up. In addition to that, we're striving to make improvements to Strike Missions themselves to make grouping easier, and to improve the rewards. We hope this will help introduce more people to 10-person content, which will in turn increase the number of people interested in Raids.Regardless of if that succeeds or not, we understand the importance of balancing our efforts between accessible content with broad appeal, and content that appeals to the more hard core audience, and recognize that we need to do a better job of supporting the latter."

There might be hope, they also said that they were not planning new expansion, but here we are

Indeed, also in this post they specifically said they need/want to support the hardcore audience so its almost a given they will add another raid.

@yann.1946 said:

"Raids are a trickier beast. They're a unique experience and community that we want to find better ways to support, the biggest challenge in creating more is the small audience they attract. We gathered data to determine why, and the most common answer was that there is a giant leap in difficulty between raids and other endgame content, and there isn't anything to help players work their way up.Our intention was for Strike Missions to be that intermediary step into 10-person content. As we've mentioned before and you've likely noticed, strike missions are getting harder. Once a full suite of strike missions is complete there should be a graceful ramp up to the existing raid content rather than the imposing leap that previously existed, and our hope is once that ramp is in place, the number of players participating in raids will go up. In addition to that, we're striving to make improvements to Strike Missions themselves to make grouping easier, and to improve the rewards. We hope this will help introduce more people to 10-person content, which will in turn increase the number of people interested in Raids.Regardless of if that succeeds or not, we understand the importance of balancing our efforts between accessible content with broad appeal, and content that appeals to the more hard core audience, and recognize that we need to do a better job of supporting the latter."

Indeed, also in this post they specifically said they need/want to support the hardcore audience so its almost a given they will add another raid.

Or they might be planning to make only strikes for hardcore audience?Meanwhile we can only hope for the best and fear the worst.

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:

Or they might be planning to make only strikes for hardcore audience?Meanwhile we can only hope for the best and fear the worst.

touche, although they confirmed their adding a fractal cm so thats also a path to go in.I'd rather stay optimistic though.

@yann.1946 said:

touche, although they confirmed their adding a fractal cm so thats also a path to go in.I'd rather stay optimistic though.

Yeah same.

Well with a new raid would need new Legendary carrot or something. Another Legendary trinket?

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they saved the new raids for Cantha or at the very least have strike missions. They seem to be able to pump those out at a fast rate then raid wings, for obvious reasons.

@Tyson.5160 said:Well with a new raid would need new Legendary carrot or something. Another Legendary trinket?

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they saved the new raids for Cantha or at the very least have strike missions. They seem to be able to pump those out at a fast rate then raid wings, for obvious reasons.

Dont give them any ideas, I dont wanna learn the new wing only to be able to craft legendary underwater breather.?

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:

@Tyson.5160 said:Well with a new raid would need new Legendary carrot or something. Another Legendary trinket?

Dont give them any ideas, I dont wanna learn the new wing only to be able to craft legendary underwater breather.?

Fair enough I’m just basing this on the history of the last couple of wings.

The prospect of having to wait another year plus for Wing 8 hurts my soul. I get that their most recent communication said it's difficult for them to justify putting out a new wing due to the audience, but right before that they also said they intended to release raids at a faster rate. It's wishy washy info.

Truth be told, strikes are a poor substitute and will never be raids. I maintain that the only reason they are getting such attention right now is due to the daily reward structure they just came up with. People are reward driven after all.

you already got the only flashy legendary armor.

And for this alone raids do not need any more rewards. At all.

Also I am questioning your 'most challenging content' line. What is so challenging about raids? A lot of it could be done by a script. Just go to coordinate xyz, execute perfect rotation, on timer/hp X, dodge twice, execute rotation again.

Boring to the max.

@yann.1946 said:

Fractal CM confirmed indeed.

@Delita Silverburg.8632 said:

The prospect of having to wait another year plus for Wing 8 hurts my soul. I get that their most recent communication said it's difficult for them to justify putting out a new wing due to the audience, but right before that they also said they intended to release raids at a faster rate. It's wishy washy info.

Truth be told, strikes are a poor substitute and will never be raids. I maintain that the only reason they are getting such attention right now is due to the daily reward structure they just came up with. People are reward driven after all.

I have a funny suspicion that Raids are toast and that strike missions will be the way challenging end game content going forward. If they do another set of raids, then maybe they will go to 8-10 with a new Legendary reward (back pack?) for maybe a Cantha setting, thinking the Deep or Urgoz Warren, but they could just make those strike missions too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they don't necessarily need better rewards but more like a daily reward or something to make people play them past monday tuesday when all the statics get there clears done in the first 2 days I have two active accounts that i raid on and even then i kind of burn through them by wendsday helping friends in there statics like toss people a daily chest with some exotics or like 1 gold or 2 per wing or like anything some stupid low chance at things a few extra shards not on the weekly cap something to so people can have more incentive to help there friends or the rando pug group they see cuz there bored online and hey may as well help that wing 2 starting ill get a gold instead of forgetting raids are a thing until next monday tuesday. Atm raids have a small community it needs to grow but Anet dosent give us a reason to keep running raids throughout the week. So the community seems even smaller than it already is.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:Also I am questioning your 'most challenging content' line. What is so challenging about raids? A lot of it could be done by a script. Just go to coordinate xyz, execute perfect rotation, on timer/hp X, dodge twice, execute rotation again.

Same can be said about basically every game. No human can beat a computer in chess. Even games like starcraft are unwinnable against ais. Computer is better at everything which requires a decision in a very short timeframe and isnt creativity based.Not really sure what your point is, pvp is basically react to x with y aswell.