Dragon replacement is stupid, Aurene is on the edge of being a Sue

Slowpokeking.8720

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:Yes but it only did this to select candidates, for the most part it sent icebrood to attack and slaughter everything and remained silent to most mortals.Hence contributing to the Dragon being no different to the others in terms of a being bent on destruction and nothing else.Jormag speaking to us and many others on a larger scale is a very recent occurance and only happening because it recognizes what we have achieved in recent years.It spoke to ppl to seduce and use them.Jormag speaking to us is no different than it speaking to Svanir and other ppl, it was trying to deceive and use us.

Not on this scale it hasn't, as I said above most interactions with Jormag has been through it's Icebrood attacks which are no different to any other Dragon Minion attack.

It has, it spoke to Svanir through Drakkar and others

Those were limited cases, Now Jormag is speaking to entire armies of soldiers at the same time.Basically every living thing within it's reach it is now speaking too and attempting to manipulate and corrupt where as before it would only speak to a chosen few and would slaughter most people using it's Icebrood instead.Now that it needs allies and numbers against another threat it's manipulating more and slaughtering less.

Yeah and it never once spoke to us back then which is my point.Most of those encounters with Icebrood/sons were no different than encounters with Branded, Risen, Destroyers etc.It's why the perception of ED being little more than raging destroyers was a thing in the first place.

But it spoke to many others before, since Svanir. It simply spoke ppl to break them and use them.

Again, not on this scale it didn't, not even close.Most people who have encoutered icebrood have never heard Jormags voice.The Vigil etc we see now suffering Jormags voice in Jora's Keep have been in this region of the world for years and Jormag speaking to them has only started happening fairly recently and both Jormag and Drakkar have been in the exact same place for years.

That's not what Anet is doing.Jormag is just trying to adapt to a new world order for it's own survival.. it's not a good dragon and nobody believes it to be.

No, it's more likely trying to deceive us through lies.

More like trying to use us and Aurine to serve it's own agenda.Point is Jormag cannot rely on it's own strength against this unknown threat and it knows that, that's why it's talking to us and trying to manipulate us while also talking to mortals on a mass scale and trying to corrupt them.It needs us and it's trying to make us believe that we need it as well.

It's argument isn't "hey im good now lets team up" its more "I am a neccessary evil and you need me"

But the story failed to show it. We are still fighting it, breaking its scheme.

The world has been totally fine without Jormag's meddling, actually it was much better before that. Jormag even destroyed landscape through its blizzard, you say it's just doing nature cycle?

The story did show that, Jormag literally told us we need it's help multiple times and we refused.We're still fighting Jormag and Jormag is still trying to seduce us to it's side rather than just kill us which it has had multiple opportunities to do.It will continue to do so because it needs us, our last encounter with it quite literally ended with "Don't worry. We will all talk to each other again soon. That I promise."

Nothing has changed about Jormag only our perception of it, same with Kralkatorrik who despite being a raging monster turned out to be more complicated.

Yeah, so why add the "dragon replacement" garbage?

Because it makes the story more interesting than just stab the big bad thing..A main antagonist without an agenda, personality or motive is just a bad antagonist.. and the only thing worse than a bad antagonist is several of them.Anet want to tell a better story than that and most of us are glad they are.

It's not a retcon or a slap in the face, they're just making their main antagonists more interesting and complex which is a good thing.

It is, they are trying to make our past good doing into "you are damaging the world by killing dragons".

No they're just highlighting our past ignorance.When a being of that kind of power is defeated there are often consequences, the Gods learned this lesson when they defeated Abaddon and his fall turned an entire ocean into a desert.The Charr devistated Ascalon with the Searing Cauldrons which took many years to recover.Vizier khilbron sank an entire continent to stop a Charr army and turned himself into a Lich.. likewise provided Zhaitan with an army when he woke up.Shiro unleashed a Jade Wind upon his death.Killing Dragons allows their powers to transfer to other Dragons and makes them more powerful.The White Mantle messed with a bloodstone and nearly eradicated a whole region.We killed a fallen God and supercharged an Elder Dragon with his magic.

Actions having consequences has always been a thing with this franchise and it's a good thing that we screw up from time to time.Nobody wants to play a flawless perfect mary sue type character which a lot of people did feel like the Commander was for a good while in Gw2.Mary sues are boring and uninteresting, that's why people dislike them so much.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Slowpokeking.8720" said:If they let her take all kinds of magic to stay as the "good dragon".

Seriously I think Anet giving "you can't kill more dragon" is stupid, it simply put the player in a very strange corner, you have to kill the evil dragon and find replacement, which could result in even worst plot. "kill the dragon and get a replacement" plot could easily backfire.

My theory has always been that the Bloodstone was created to be a substitute for the Elder Dragons. So I agree that having Aurene stand in for one or two dead dragons is disappointing. But, that's just me. Who knows, maybe there's something juices in the storyline that clarifies everything? Maybe the Icebrood Saga is the place where Anet lay it all on the table and explain why they need at least four Elder Dragons (the four cardinals) and why six dragons is unreasonable.

I think that they really missed an opportunity to tell a deeper story when they wrote the human gods out of most of the plot.

All of this killing dragon stuff was before we knew that killing them had drastic consequences. If we kill them now, all their magic gets released into the world and literally throws off the very fabric of reality. So, we need some sort of conduit. Something to absorb that power so that it doesn't destroy the world.

All that prep for Zhaitan was before we really ever knew anything about them.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Psientist.6437 said:How are Elder dragons less of a threat or less 'evil'? You keep saying the All dilemma makes them so but I don't see how that works. The Elder dragons are now more dangerous.

Thus you agree that the plot had added nothing upon the dragon's depth, good.

Obviously, you are not discussing in good faith because making Elder dragons more dangerous adds to their depth. You are attempting to gaslight.

Why does the All dilemma make our fight against Zhaitan, Mord or Kralk 'wrong'? The fight against the Elder dragons is more complicated but not even remotely 'wrong'. How does adding the need for replacements make fighting Elder dragons wrong?!?! Our hero is still on a righteous path and the All dilemma makes it longer and more interesting. Tyria is a bigger, more realistic place because of the All dilemma. In the context of plot mechanics, there is no there no other way to describe the All dilemma. You're welcome to your position, just know it isn't objective. You are making a emotional plea to limit how complex Tyria can be.

@Tom.8029 said:All of this killing dragon stuff was before we knew that killing them had drastic consequences. If we kill them now, all their magic gets released into the world and literally throws off the very fabric of reality. So, we need some sort of conduit. Something to absorb that power so that it doesn't destroy the world.

All that prep for Zhaitan was before we really ever knew anything about them.

The trouble, I think, is that the dangers of killing them have never been convincingly presented to the playerbase.

We can surmise from a range of different disasters, including the Thaumanova Meltdown and the Great Battle at the Gates of Heaven, that mixing the Six Elements in strange ways can cause undue harm.

But therein lies the problem. Aurene appears to be mixing magics in ways that we never thought possible and have never been legitimized by long-standing in-game examples. Can you think of a notable, naturally-occurring example of a spell caster within the GW2 lore-verse who casts the magics of every profession? I can't. And it's this lack of examples that makes believing how she does this so difficult.

If a series of naturally-occuring examples existed, arguments could be formed demonstrating that the All has been trying to find a host in which all of the magics can comfortably co-exist. But we don't have that. Yes, we have Subject Alpha. But it doesn't practice water magic and it is not naturally occurring.

Then we have the other problem: Why is water the magical element that keeps falling-out with it's fellows? There hasn't been much said about that ever, really. Yet I can think of at least half a dozen examples of this phenomenon. I have my own ideas, but they're just that - ideas. What is needed is definitive statements from authoritarian NPCs. We had an opportunity to clarify that with Path of Fire and the consultation of Kormir. Unfortunately, development passed-up that opportunity.

To me, the closest we ever got to understanding anything about the EDs and the danger of killing them was from the books between the games. That's not a good sign.

@"Yasai.3549" said:Sue how?Dragons, or at least Elder Dragons, are considered to be legendary beings, and Aurene is just growing up to fill her role in life.

And besides, the only "sue" moment is her conviniently eating Joko for his revival magic, but that can be forgiven since she has saw her death coming and had to take precautions and follow through with eating Joko.

My only gripe is that she grew too fast during Season 4 but I guess that can't be helped since the Devs already built Kralk up to be such a huge threat, but even so she didn't "1v1 Kralk", she had the entire Pact hammering Kralk from the outside while she, the Commander and Co. went for the heart.

I just want to say Kralkatorrik, elder dragon of power had 'too much' power ... but then he says aurine can handle it NP cause she's in perfect balance and all that crap. Why? cause aurine, that's mary sue. Not to mention any male dragon no matter the size talks like a demon, but aurine talks like a regular human just like glint just sounds like grandma xd

@"Teratus.2859" said:So far it's fine aside from 1 or 2 nitpicks..

Having the Dragons become more than raging monsters does make them more interesting as well as puts the plot in a better direction other than "Dat thing Evil stab it!!"

However I don't want to see Aurine become this Sue as you said who can replace them all.We've 3 dragons left to kill and kill them we have no choice in the matter, but we also can't kill them because they play a vital role in The All which is the whole reason we went after Balthazar in PoF.

So we have to kill them to save the world but we can't kill them or we'll destroy the world.Add to that there are no more known Scions to use to replace them so atm we're in a pretty tough situation until we can work something out that will allow us to replace them.I really hope Aruine isn't going to just become the answer to this problem either as that would be a really poor story.. much like the whole "I eats da Lich so I no dies" thing which I still dislike as an excuse, specially considering Lich's are almost as absent lore in this franchise as the DSD is

What they are going to do with Jormag is anyones guess atm but I have a feeling it aint dying anytime soon and chances are we might just have to bite the bullet and enter some kind of distrustful truce with it until we deal with that so called "threat on the horizon" that Jormag warned us about and that we would "Need!" it's help against.With expansion 3 confirmed then there's a good possibility that the solution for this threat and maybe even Jormag will be found in Cantha and the next expansion could possibly set us up for 2 Elder Dragon deaths/replacements in the same release.. There were two uncorrupted Dragons over there back in Gw1 which some believe might be candidates for new Elders in Gw2 so who knows.. just gotta wait and see.

Frankly I rather enjoy the idea of showing up in Cantha with 2 Elder Dragons.. bet the Dragon Empire would soil themselves XD

I'd like it better if we just kill/subdue/imprison the elder dragons. Killing them is not an option, unless aurine sue can just absorb all their power because 'perfect balance'.There's no other dragon eggs to make one into a pet like aurine (atleast I very much hope there is not, but they could always pull this out of their... backpocket.In my eyes it's not the dragons that are the problem (can't kill em or wold will end) but the power that is freed after their deaths, so if we can deal with that in another manner (no taimi random breaktrough invention at the exact right time and no aurine swooping in being like lol didn't I tell you? 'perfect balance' bro.

On another note ... commander shoulda gotten god of war title atleast!

@dikkejonko.5803 said:

@"Yasai.3549" said:Sue how?Dragons, or at least Elder Dragons, are considered to be legendary beings, and Aurene is just growing up to fill her role in life.

And besides, the only "sue" moment is her conviniently eating Joko for his revival magic, but that can be forgiven since she has saw her death coming and had to take precautions and follow through with eating Joko.

My only gripe is that she grew too fast during Season 4 but I guess that can't be helped since the Devs already built Kralk up to be such a huge threat, but even so she didn't "1v1 Kralk", she had the entire Pact hammering Kralk from the outside while she, the Commander and Co. went for the heart.

I just want to say Kralkatorrik, elder dragon of power had 'too much' power ... but then he says aurine can handle it NP cause she's in perfect balance and all that kitten. Why? cause aurine, that's mary sue. Not to mention any male dragon no matter the size talks like a demon, but aurine talks like a regular human just like glint just sounds like grandma xd

I agree: Aurene is a Mary Sue. She's much better at it than Scarlet, too.

The thing I can't wrap my head around is how Aurene is the "first of her kind". What exactly did Kralk mean by that? Now I have some ideas. Here we go:

1) Aurene is the first Elder Dragon. No.2) Aurene is the first female Elder Dragon. That doesn't seem necessary. Jormag is non-binary, according to most, so I can't see that being correct either.3) Aurene is the first prismatic Elder Dragon. Well, no. Kralk is Aurene's grand-daddy. It shouldn't make me feel stupid to think that mixing magics runs in the family. Kralk was purple, after all, a mix of blue and red, two of the big primaries. So maybe she just needs green? Ah, she absorbed Mordy's magic as an egg. Mordy tried to get her egg anyway. Maybe Mordy's contribution is the key? Perhaps, because of him, Aurene can mix all three Primary Magical Colours?

NO! That doesn't work either, because we have Jormag, the Elder Dragon associated with Zone White. Moreover, Kralk has a mother. I think it might be Jormag. In other words, Aurene is what she is as much because of Kralk's and Mordy's input as Jormag's.

In short, I cannot fathom what makes Aurene unique and I have no idea why Kralk said what he said.

Maybe someone else has got insights into this? Your input is welcome.

@Stephen.6312 said:

I just want to say Kralkatorrik, elder dragon of power had 'too much' power ... but then he says aurine can handle it NP cause she's in perfect balance and all that kitten. Why? cause aurine, that's mary sue. Not to mention any male dragon no matter the size talks like a demon, but aurine talks like a regular human just like glint just sounds like grandma xd

The thing I can't wrap my head around is how Aurene is the "first of her kind". What exactly did Kralk mean by that? Now I have some ideas. Here we go:

1) Aurene is the first Elder Dragon.
No
.2) Aurene is the first
female
Elder Dragon. That doesn't seem necessary. Jormag is non-binary, according to most, so I can't see that being correct either.3) Aurene is the first
prismatic
Elder Dragon. Well, no. Kralk is Aurene's grand-daddy. It shouldn't make me feel stupid to think that mixing magics runs in the family. Kralk was purple, after all, a mix of blue and red, two of the big primaries. So maybe she just needs green? Ah, she absorbed Mordy's magic as an egg. Mordy tried to get her egg anyway. Maybe Mordy's contribution is the key? Perhaps, because of him, Aurene can mix all three Primary Magical Colours?

NO! That doesn't work either, because we have
Jormag
, the Elder Dragon associated with Zone White. Moreover, Kralk has a mother. I think it might
be
Jormag. In other words, Aurene is what she is as much because of Kralk's and Mordy's input as Jormag's.

In short,
I cannot fathom what makes Aurene unique and I have no idea why Kralk said what he said

In my eyes, the fact that they gave no explanation to it, NONE besides kralk lampshading that she is unique, even when the story was finished, shows the writers simply don't think that far. They wrote a pretty ending to disney fairy tale where everything came together not because we worked towards it but because it just did.

If I were to think that they had an exxplenation behind kralk's statement (which I don't) I might argue that she is the first elder dragon offspring with a champion as connection to the mortals, which still doesn't give her anything special beyond she's a good gal.

@dikkejonko.5803 said:

This is what annoys me so much. EVERY MALE DRAGON EVIL, EVERY FEMALE DRAGON NICE. It's so exhausting really, Trahearne was so good because he was wise and a good male example to us who are a man and want to be given good examples of male conduct, so why can't be there a nice elder dragon who has a male voice?

@dikkejonko.5803 said:

1) Aurene is the first Elder Dragon.
No
.2) Aurene is the first
female
Elder Dragon. That doesn't seem necessary. Jormag is non-binary, according to most, so I can't see that being correct either.3) Aurene is the first
prismatic
Elder Dragon. Well, no. Kralk is Aurene's grand-daddy. It shouldn't make me feel stupid to think that mixing magics runs in the family. Kralk was purple, after all, a mix of blue and red, two of the big primaries. So maybe she just needs green? Ah, she absorbed Mordy's magic as an egg. Mordy tried to get her egg anyway. Maybe Mordy's contribution is the key? Perhaps, because of him, Aurene can mix all three Primary Magical Colours?

NO! That doesn't work either, because we have
Jormag
, the Elder Dragon associated with Zone White. Moreover, Kralk has a mother. I think it might
be
Jormag. In other words, Aurene is what she is as much because of Kralk's and Mordy's input as Jormag's.

In short,
I cannot fathom what makes Aurene unique and I have no idea why Kralk said what he said

In my eyes, the fact that they gave no explanation to it, NONE besides kralk lampshading that she is unique, even when the story was finished, shows the writers simply don't think that far. They wrote a pretty ending to disney fairy tale where everything came together not because we worked towards it but because it just did.

If I were to think that they had an exxplenation behind kralk's statement (which I don't) I might argue that she is the first elder dragon offspring with a champion as connection to the mortals, which still doesn't give her anything special beyond she's a good gal.

Yeah, I don't like this at all. And it shouldn't be so hard to understand. Everything leading up to her "Ascension" should make Aurene's peculiarity an intuitive conclusion.

What a let-down.

I don't want to derail this post and I don't care to start a new one for a topic that clearly has Aurene front-and-center. So I'll pop these thoughts in here.

First, kudos to Anet for bringing Aurene this far. As you all know from my posts and the posts of others in this discussion, I'm not a fan of everything they've done with her, but one thing I really like is how she looks. The sensations I get when beholding her include serenity and harmony, themes I'm sure Aurene's designers intended to convey.

But then there's the rest of it. To Development it may not be a mess, but to my mind it most certainly is. Here's what I think I know about the nature of magic and torment thus far and why I find it so hard to understand why Kralkatorrik would willingly grant his power to Aurene or why he would say that she is the first of her kind.

So we've been told, in various ways, that magic is like light. Taimi says as much and the color wheels presented to us in-game support this. These color wheels present us with the following colors:

1. From the color wheel at Divinity's Reach: Blue, red, green; purple, yellow, and black.
  2. From the color wheel at the Crucible of Eternity: Blue, red, green; violet (purple), black, and white.
  3. From the color wheel in our vision of The All: Blue, red, green (or green-yellow, depending on your interpretation); purple, green-black (or green, depending on your interpretation), and white. The orb in the center of this vision may be another color, gold, or even another version of white. It's hard to say.
  4. From Taimi's research in Season 3: Blues, Greens, Yellows (and possibly orange) and white.

So we have a few sources of information about the range of magical colors that make-up the spectrum. One thing that we can derive from contemplating these wheels is that not every color is presented to us. If magic is like white light, it stands to reason that said light is comprised of the following "lesser" colors:

Red, green, blue (three primary colors)Purple, cyan, yellow (three secondary colors)

In addition to what I will call the "master colors": white and black.

Thus, there are eight colors of magic. Of the secondary colors, we've seen creatures embodying yellow and purple respectively. Yellow seems to be mainly human, a detail supported by the character creation racial selection choice. (Humans are color-coded yellow.) Other races, such as the hylek, may embody this color too. But the color is nonetheless rare.

The most obvious example of purple creatures are Kralkatorrik's minions. However, all of the playable races seem to embody this color, especially the asura.

The one color we haven't seen much of is cyan. My instincts tell me that the Nightmare Incarnate is the embodiment of this color. Hence, when the Nightmare Incarnate screams, "No! I cannot be the last of my kind", it may be alluding to this. This creature isn't quite blue and it isn't quite green. It's something else.

As you all know, the color black is well represented within populations dwelling on Tyria. Humans come to mind (through Grenth), as does any race that can practice necromancy. Curiously, white isn't well represented. Players tend to think that Dwayna is aligned to white. But we are yet to have solid confirmation of this and those humans who have expressed their faith through color identify her with blue. Yes, Dwayna's mural at Divinity's Reach has flecks of white in it, at it's top. No, that doesn't conclusively demonstrate that Dwayna's color is white.

So we have eight magical colors. Where does Aurene fit into this?

Well, my theory is that whenever a race casts a spell aligned to any of the colors of magic that we have identified, they generate torment within said color. In the past, when mankind's gods were aligned harmoniously (i.e. there was no conflict between them), humans generated significant amounts of torment in most of the colors that we have identified. But the gods redirected their torment to Abaddon's sphere, blue, through the Bloodstone.

This bit about the Bloodstone is very important to my theory. Essentially, the Elder Dragons did a deal with the Elder Races in the last cycle; they allowed the races to live if, and only if they agreed to manage the problem of torment. (Think of this in the same way as you think of a criminal taking responsibility for his or her actions.) The Elder Dragons revealed to the Elder Races that the latter's indiscriminate spell-casting and use of other magics' to solve their own magics' problems (i.e. mixing magics to shift torment, rather than resolve it) was the reason the dragons had arrived on Tyria and were tearing it apart. If the Elder Races could learn to take responsibility for their actions, Tyria could live on. The Elder Dragons remained present on Tyria, sleeping, to supervise this. Hence, we learn that Tyria has always felt the presence of the dragons. Before they went to sleep, they commissioned Glint to help the Elder Races forge the Bloodstone, an artifact created from the blood of five of the six Elder Dragons.

Although the blood of the sixth Elder Dragon, "Bubbles", wasn't present in the Bloodstone, it contributed to the artifact's creation in it's own way, forming the Crystal Sea. Granted, the sea might've been the Deep Sea Dragon's blood. Even so, it's blood wasn't forged into the stone directly, because, as we know, the magics presented as colors don't play nice together. We learn that mixing the Six Magical Elements causes explosions. When Elder Dragons handle the Six Magical Elements, it's no problem; they know what they're doing. But mortals? No, mortals clearly don't know what they're doing. Thaumanova teaches us that, for all their intellectual bravado, the asura have no idea how to mix the magical elements. The Six, the Tragedy of Malchor, and the Great Battle at the Gates of Heaven (that led to the formation of the Mouth of Torment) teach us that mankind also has no idea. Every mortal race floats in the same boat here.

The long and short of it is this: Whenever mortals try to practice magic, they generate torment. It's what we do.

So Elder Dragons supervise the resolution of torment within the various colors of magic. Which brings us to Aurene. You see, it's the colors we don't see that cause the biggest problems. We haven't seen much of cyan, nearly not as much of yellow either. Does Aurene represent either of these colors? Not as far as I'm aware. From what I can tell, she represents white light, the combination of every primary magical color. We already have an Elder Dragon for that: it's called Jormag. To truly contribute something meaningful to the cycle, Aurene needs to assume Kralkatorrik's mantle and continue to discharge torment generated within magic color-coded purple. It's hard to understand why she isn't doing this? Perhaps she fears losing love?

Why did Kralkatorrik hand over his power? I'm frustrated beyond all sensibility by this question. Answers just don't make any sense. Why did Kralkatorrik think that Aurene was unique? Was it because Aurene was hatched from an egg? Is Glint's ability to reproduce something that emerged from the ritual to cleanse her of Kralkatorrik's corruption? Is Elder Dragon reproduction a new way to manage torment? A little clarity on these details would help.