How to balance every single thing that's bad on Engineer [PvP]

Chaith.8256

With my recent suggestions to Scrapper's System Shocker, and Expert Examination, as well as previous suggestions to Shredder Gyro & Spare Capacitor , I really feel a lightning field 'Area Denial' spec will be possible for Scrapper that could daze the crap out of an area if you're able to keep vulnerability on, and really utilize Kinetic Stabilizers.

Taking the middle-middle-middle Scrapper traits, and using Function Gyro, Hammer #5, Bulwark, Spare Capacitor, for 4 lightning fields.

For Holo, I feel its in a pretty good place right now except that its defensive skills are entirely negated by chain CC due to cast times. Allowing Hard Light Arena to be placed while being focus-fired and chain CC'd would take the edge off.

Anyone have thoughts on Engi/Scrapper/Holo in 2020, feel free to discuss

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Chaith.8256 said:Anyone have thoughts on Engi/Scrapper/Holo in 2020, feel free to discuss

Only that it's 2020. It's been about 5 years since we had good balance.

Then the one spec I still could still manage to enjoy even though it wasn't amazing - condi scrapper - got completly gutted when they reworked the spec to only function with power damage.. It's been almost a year since that..

I barely even play this game any more. I got tired of waiting.

@"Chaith.8256" said:With my recent suggestions to Scrapper's System Shocker, and Expert Examination, as well as previous suggestions to Shredder Gyro & Spare Capacitor , I really feel a lightning field 'Area Denial' spec will be possible for Scrapper that could daze the kitten out of an area if you're able to keep vulnerability on, and really utilize Kinetic Stabilizers.

Taking the middle-middle-middle Scrapper traits, and using Function Gyro, Hammer #5, Bulwark, Spare Capacitor, for 4 lightning fields.

For Holo, I feel its in a pretty good place right now except that its defensive skills are entirely negated by chain CC due to cast times. Allowing Hard Light Arena to be placed while being focus-fired and chain CC'd would take the edge off.

Anyone have thoughts on Engi/Scrapper/Holo in 2020, feel free to discuss

I'm still on board with an Inventions trait line rework, to fit its intended use as a line focused on defense and healing. These suggestions can be found here:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/73322/engineer-inventions-trait-line

@"Chaith.8256" said:Anyone have thoughts on Engi/Scrapper/Holo in 2020, feel free to discuss

Core Engi just seem like it'll probably never get the love it really needs because 80% of the utility that we have are just completely out dated. Turrets are pretty crap and the fact that they die fairly fast is also stupid to consider running it, Kites seem very very lack luster due to the amount of nerfs and pistols need a complete rework to be completely honest. The fact that Core engi is Limited to Rifle/ Pistols and a shield while only 2 out of the 3 are even really viable in today meta makes me sad. why Can other specs apply different type of conditions but for some reason engi with pistols are limited to Burn and Psn for some solid dps?

I would like to see condi application for engi improved across all spec if possible or at the very least with pistols. Being limited to "burn" kinda makes the entire class pointless to play outside of power which gets really old and boring. I'll like to also see Egun improved a bit more with it's 1-3 skills(possible give it the ability to add more condition beside weakness,cripple and poison).

Outside of Core engi being useless and utilities not being very good, I think scrapper has come a long way overall and i think gyro utilities are pretty solid now days however the function gyro needs to be revert back to what it was for god sake. I hate the fact that resing people or finishing people off has now become close to impossible with the function gyro. They simply just die off way to fast regardless of the last buff they got they are still imo very useless for my case and i'll rather the function gyro abilities to get stab/give stab to my team mates over using it for a res or finish. I think if we get better design for the function gyro then Engi would be in a really solid spot instead of some odd spot where they feel / play as a budget bunker holo.

@zoopop.5630 said:Outside of Core engi being useless and utilities not being very good, I think scrapper has come a long way overall and i think gyro utilities are pretty solid now days however the function gyro needs to be revert back to what it was for god sake. I hate the fact that resing people or finishing people off has now become close to impossible with the function gyro. They simply just die off way to fast regardless of the last buff they got they are still imo very useless for my case and i'll rather the function gyro abilities to get stab/give stab to my team mates over using it for a res or finish. I think if we get better design for the function gyro then Engi would be in a really solid spot instead of some odd spot where they feel / play as a budget bunker holo.

Probably 80% of the time I consider using function gyro, I decide against it and do something else because it is literally not worth 0.5s of cast time in the middle of a fight.

I would take the old function gyro back in a heartbeat. I might consider using the new one if it were instant .. maybe. They still die if anyone sneezes on them.

@coro.3176 said:

@zoopop.5630 said:Outside of Core engi being useless and utilities not being very good, I think scrapper has come a long way overall and i think gyro utilities are pretty solid now days however the function gyro needs to be revert back to what it was for god sake. I hate the fact that resing people or finishing people off has now become close to impossible with the function gyro. They simply just die off way to fast regardless of the last buff they got they are still imo very useless for my case and i'll rather the function gyro abilities to get stab/give stab to my team mates over using it for a res or finish. I think if we get better design for the function gyro then Engi would be in a really solid spot instead of some odd spot where they feel / play as a budget bunker holo.

Probably 80% of the time I consider using function gyro, I decide against it and do something else because it is literally not worth 0.5s of cast time in the middle of a fight.

I would take the old function gyro back in a heartbeat. I might consider using the new one if it were instant .. maybe. They still die if anyone sneezes on them.

I legit only ever use it for stab and to possible do some sort of field combo on it. All i ever use it for because it isn't worth using other wise unless it's just 1 person trying to finish a down.

You guys are sleeping on Function Gyro a little bit since it was fixed recently to not die with stability.

I've had a good success in reviving people with it.

Remember, you do kind of have to get good at the revive combo. Function gyro into Reconstruction Field, while simultaneously using defense field asap.

In a lower damage meta, Scrapper Res could be something powerful. Can't really buff that portion of Scrapper much atm.

@"Chaith.8256" said:You guys are sleeping on Function Gyro a little bit since it was fixed recently to not die with stability.

I've had a good success in reviving people with it.

Remember, you do kind of have to get good at the revive combo. Function gyro into Reconstruction Field, while simultaneously using defense field asap.

In a lower damage meta, Scrapper Res could be something powerful. Can't really buff that portion of Scrapper much atm.

i mean of course but do that with the current meta at the moment it's completely dumb / pointless imo. Attempting to use the gyro on an ally is almost suicide imo. With how Op Rev, Dps Fb, and Pistol whip thief is at the moment attempting to get a res is close to impossible i mean assuming we're talking about rank only then yes you can pull it off because of the lack of knowledge in the player base.

However we'll see how this up coming balance patch changes the "meta" i'll be highly disappointed if Rev , weaver , and FB doesn't get nerf down. The amount of Cleave potential FB has insane and that's 1 of the reasons why I don't see a point in using scrapper atm let alone vs double fb.

• 1 month later...

@Chaith.8256 said:Updated Covid-19 apocalypse 2020 by deleting old irrelevant suggestions and adding the following new ones

Explosives

Shrapnel: Increased bleeding from one stack to two, increased cripple from one second to two.

Shrapnel quickly being left in the dust compared to Flashbang / Big Boomer across all game modes. This is an indirect needed buff to Firearms.

Big Boomer: Removed PvP/WvW split to allow 200 healing per second across the board.

The 200 healing as advertised may bring this trait up to Flashbang level in PvP.

Inventions

Bunker down removed, now Bionic throwing-arm New: Bombs can now be placed up to 300 distance units away as projectiles. Increased the range of Grenades, mines, and thrown Elixirs by 300.

Core engi Bombs need a better application method! Even just a 300 range increase would help greatly landing them.

Tools:

Takedown Round: Currently: Striking a target above the health threshold places a delayed explosive charge on them. New: Instead of it's previous effects, all knockbacks and launch effects apply knockdown instead. (Magnetic Inversion, Air Blast, Throw Mine, Overcharged Shot, Personal Battering Ram, Thump, Blast Gyro, Prime Light Beam, Tornado, Holographic Shockwave, Booby Trap.)

A very interesting option for builds that are trying to actually keep enemies inside damage fields instead of bailing enemies out. Being able to displace an opponent or their downed body can be highly crucial too, so this is more of a specialized trade.

Scrapper

Damage Dampener - Currently: Delays 20% incoming damage by 2 seconds. New: Instead of its current effects, Scrapper's Gyro effects reduce damage taken by 10% on those affected.

Turns this trait into one that's actually helpful instead of merely delaying 20% of the inevitable.

Holosmith

Hard Light Arena - Skill is now instant.

This is to ensure Holosmiths don't have their entire defensive kits bypassed by blanket chain CC as they wade through melee environments with a barebones stunbreak and no stability, evades.

This

Flash Spark - Instead of granting light aura when over the heat threshold, grant stability for 3s.

Same idea as the change to hard light arena, just enabling Holo to get their defensive skills off when fighting more than 1 opponent.

Laser Disk - Reduced base duration from 6s to 4s. Now removes a boon from enemies affected on a 1s interval.

Skill hasn't been touched/used for nearly 3 years, needs a buff & shake up. Holos need defensive utilities so badly this would still not be good in all likeliness.

Blade Burst - Reduced cooldown from 30s to 15s.

Needs more synergy with Toolbelt based builds, 15s cd seems fair.

Crystal Configuration: Storm: - Photon Forge skill #1 deals 10% increased damage, is an explosion, and range increased by 60 to 300

Current CC:Storm is detestable. Spamming weaker ranged autos and missing out on being in range for Corona Burst damage, it doesn't make sense.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:Crystal Configuration: Storm: - Photon Forge skill #1 deals 10% increased damage, is an explosion, and range increased by 60 to 300

hell no. I like the 600 range. basically all builds need to move into melee for serious damage so I don't feel holo 3+5 are wasted with this trait.

Can't please em all! Just know that the CC:Storm users in GW2 are an extreme minority.

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:Crystal Configuration: Storm: - Photon Forge skill #1 deals 10% increased damage, is an explosion, and range increased by 60 to 300

hell no. I like the 600 range. basically all builds need to move into melee for serious damage so I don't feel holo 3+5 are wasted with this trait.

Can't please em all! Just know that the CC:Storm users in GW2 are an extreme minority.

theres not enough traits that change the way a spec is played. they're all boring small mods/ enhancements like the one you suggested. not enough diversity (and support for it) is the main reason we get these stale metas and boring builds to play.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:theres not enough traits that change the way a spec is played. they're all boring small mods/ enhancements like the one you suggested. not enough diversity (and support for it) is the main reason we get these stale metas and boring builds to play.

Don't really want to argue about it, I hear you. Yes, traits that change the way a spec is played are fun. That's why I'm suggesting traits that allow you to throw bombs and modify all knock-backs and launches into knockdown. That's great fun in the theorycrafting process. The end result could still be a boring build, and a 'stale' meta is just the existence of several omega level threats, completely unrelated to what we're talking about here.

@Ghos.1326 said:I'm thinking maybe my initial idea of increasing Impact Savant to give 20% of strike damage as barrier is needed still.

I'm hesistant to suggest Scrapper barrier buffs, it's a pretty good spec all things considered! If they eventually get around to giving barrier for condition damage that'd be great.