Top 3 reasons why raids only attracted a small audience

Swagger.1459

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:How would anet make money off raids thru gems when they added almost nothing raid related to purchase?

EXACTLY ... THEY WOULDN'T

That's why it's NOT UNREASONABLE to believe that raids are not being actively developed because of a lack of revenue from raiders.That's
also
why I suggested If Anet wants to encourage more raiders to spend money on the game to justify more raid development, they need to consider some GS items that improve the QOL for raiders.

Seriously ... is it too much to ask that you put more effort in comprehending my posts or should I just expect you to be combative over everything I post? The best part is that AGAIN ... your literally parroting my own points back to me ... but I'm wrong. Gotcha :trollface:

Ok, obtena there are no such things unless you go Ptw route and add items that buff you. You are def wrong this time. Before I said we both could be wrong because opinions but your worst argument yet is just plain wrong. Glad to see you still up to your trick of taking 1 sentence from a paragraph and acting like I got you when it changes the meaning of what someone said when it's stand alone. I'll do it next post. We all comprehend your points but this is your life arguing and extending threads and acting like people can't understand that you are always right. Maybe you will post something that make sense and I won't be combative. I look forward to that day.

@Cyninja.2954 said:It's not that I am not looking at revenue from content which is an issue, it's that you are cherry picking what you want to look at under the guise of revenue maximization as goal.

Of course I am, because that's the primary goal of a business. There isn't any 'guise' that revenue maximization is Anet's goal and that they are going to make business decisions based on that. When I suggest raids have a diminished development schedule because they don't have the revenue, it's not a ridiculous notion that some people would believe. It's likely VERY close to the truth. Are there other factors? Maybe. I didn't say there wasn't ... I simply believe revenue is the top one.

This is where we fundamentally disagree. I do not believe raids or rather the development for instanced content has seen a stop in development. On the contrary, I see more of it.

You see more raids being developed and released now than before? I don't think that's true is it? The raid release schedule is pretty well documented. To be clear, we are talking specifically about raids, not all instanced content. At least I am.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:It's not that I am not looking at revenue from content which is an issue, it's that you are cherry picking what you want to look at under the guise of revenue maximization as goal.

Of course I am, because that's the primary goal of a business. There isn't any 'guise' that revenue maximization is Anet's goal and that they are going to make business decisions based on that. When I suggest raids have a diminished development schedule because they don't have the revenue, it's not a ridiculous notion that some people would believe. It's likely VERY close to the truth. Are there other factors? Maybe. I didn't say there wasn't ... I simply believe revenue is the top one.

It is a ridiculous notion because you make no differentiation as to when or why raids saw less development.

I also disagreed with the revenue assumption, and I clearly explained this with pointing to the fact that the game overall might not have seen continued development.Obviously development goals changed, and that might not have been solely due to revenue or raids, but game wide.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:This is where we fundamentally disagree. I do not believe raids or rather the development for instanced content has seen a stop in development. On the contrary, I see more of it.

You see more raids being developed and released now than before? I don't think that's true is it? The raid release schedule is pretty well documented. To be clear, we are talking specifically about raids, not all instanced content. At least I am.

You really need to read full sentences:I do not believe raids or rather the development for instanced content has seen a stop in development.

and by willfully omitting everything which does not serve your argument, you are being negligent at best, and plain incorrect at worst.

Strikes are close enough to raids that one can argue that they are very similar if not almost the same from a resource consumption perspective.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

It is a ridiculous notion because you make no differentiation as to when or why raids saw less development.

Sure I did ... the when is whenever Anet made the decision to reduce their development. Do i have a calendar date for you? No ... but it happened at some point. The why is because of reduced revenues. There is NOTHING ridiculous about the idea a company decides to cut a product/service because of failing to being profitable. It's a common reason; I dare even propose it's the main reason.

I really don't know what your other beef is. You don't believe raid development is stopped. OK ... but make no mistake that there is definitely a reduction in the release of raid content in the way it has been traditionally offered in this game. I don't think that's how raiders OR OW players want raid content delivered to them, so it's even WORSE. I guess that's another thread though.You feel strike missions fall under the umbrella of raid content? That's fair to say. If strike missions are the 'new raids', then that is just shows how raids were offered when released were never sustainable content to begin with ... my whole point.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Sure I did ... the when is whenever Anet made the decision to reduce their development. Do i have a calendar date for you? No ... but it happened at some point. The why is because of reduced revenues. There is NOTHING ridiculous about the idea a company decides to cut a product/service because of failing to being profitable. It's a common reason; I dare even propose it's the main reason.

So, given how the developers were about to shelve the game, then did a 180 on that approach. You see no possibility that them reducing resources towards raids could have been a similar decision (and timeline wise it falls into the same time frame while other resource reduction towards GW2 were decided)? Which was a contributing factor to the content losing its player base.

The now in place nearly forcing and way higher implementation of instanced challenging content, in form of strikes, is not potentially an attempt to remedy past mistakes?

@Obtena.7952 said:I really don't know what your other beef is. You don't believe raid development is stopped. OK ... but make no mistake that there is definitely a reduction in the release of raid content You feel strike missions fall under the umbrella of raid content? That's fair to say. I don't think that's how raiders OR OW players want raid content delivered to them, so it's even WORSE. I guess that's another thread though.

Which is what I was eluding to when stating:

@Cyninja.2954 said:A. stick to a low amount of resources and just target a niche group with this contentorB. stop this content development completely (and while this would certainly hit players interested in challenging group content, if there are not enough or the resource cost is to high, there is no point in this life line approach)

But as you said: it doesn't matter what players want. What the developers implement is without question in the best interest of their revenue and they make no mistakes. For me, I can live with strike missions and the release cadence they are seeing (5 within the last 5 months, far more than any raid content but on a smaller scale, so it is easy to assume they have a about as much developer attention as raids did during their prime).

@Cyninja.2954 said:

So, given how the developers were about to shelve the game, then did a 180 on that approach. You see no possibility that them reducing resources towards raids could have been a similar decision? Which was a contributing factor to the content losing its player base.

Of course I do ... but because of low revenues. Anet had to choose what content they were going to reduce resources on ... how do you think they decided that? Do you think Anet would have reduced resources towards raids if it was the main revenue earner? OFC not.

@Obtena.7952 said:

So, given how the developers were about to shelve the game, then did a 180 on that approach. You see no possibility that them reducing resources towards raids could have been a similar decision? Which was a contributing factor to the content losing its player base.

Of course I do ... but because of low revenues. DO you think Anet woudl have reduced resources towards raids if it was the main revenue earner? OFC not.

I think Anet reduced resource towards the entire game. I think they went back on that approach. I think some game modes were affected more drastically than others. I think recent actions suggest a try to fix this problem for those game modes.

So in short: making any claims as to resource allocation based on revenue in this situation for that time frame WITHOUT any actual numbers is not feasible without an agenda.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Of course I do ... but because of low revenues. DO you think Anet woudl have reduced resources towards raids if it was the main revenue earner? OFC not.

I think Anet reduced resource towards the entire game. I think they went back on that approach. I think some game modes were affected more drastically than others. I think recent actions suggest a try to fix this problem for those game modes.

Hey, I don't disagree with that. The idea that Anet reduced the raid release schedule somewhere between 'very long' to 'infinite' because of reduced revenues doesn't conflict with any of that. Like I said ... it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to make 'resource reduction' decisions based on the services they offer that make money vs. those that don't.

I get you think there is just a 'transfer' from raids to strike missions. If that's the case, it just supports my view that as originally offered, raids were not sustainable content to original adopters. And I believe that if there was a transfer, it was STILL a revenue-based decision.

So in short: making any claims as to resource allocation based on revenue in this situation for that time frame WITHOUT any actual numbers is not feasible without an agenda.

/shrug ... so is any other claim someone will make. This thread is purely speculative exercise. That's already been solidified in another post about 3 pages ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why EVERYONE doesn't raid but I can tell you why I didn't raid up until recently.

1)Time investment - I didn't have a clue how long it would take to do what ever was required to be able to raid. I made my own preconceived notions that I came to find out were wrong. If people are willing to explain and have patience it can come along quickly.

2)No One To Raid With - To me it felt like invite only club and you were only invited to a group if someone either knew you or thought that you would be a good addition to their team. Backwards logic because how was one to know you were good in those situations if they never saw you in them?

3)Fear of Toxicity - Since I was new and I knew that I was going to struggle at the start, I was a little intimidated at the thought of people calling me out for bad play.

A friend of mine asked if I would like to raid and I took him up on the offer. I now have been raiding for the past 3 weeks and I'm doing really well. 38 LI!

So I really think the bottom line is the fear of the unknown. You can watch as many raid videos as you want but there is no substitute for the real thing. Even though I have completed close to 5 total wings now I still don't feel comfortable joining random groups because I "think" every group has these crazy high expectations for people playing with them. I know this is not always the case. Self doubt is a Kitten!

@"Excursion.9752" said:I don't know why EVERYONE doesn't raid but I can tell you why I didn't raid up until recently.

1)Time investment - I didn't have a clue how long it would take to do what ever was required to be able to raid. I made my own preconceived notions that I came to find out were wrong. If people are willing to explain and have patience it can come along quickly.

2)No One To Raid With - To me it felt like invite only club and you were only invited to a group if someone either knew you or thought that you would be a good addition to their team. Backwards logic because how was one to know you were good in those situations if they never saw you in them?

3)Fear of Toxicity - Since I was new and I knew that I was going to struggle at the start, I was a little intimidated at the thought of people calling me out for bad play.

A friend of mine asked if I would like to raid and I took him up on the offer. I now have been raiding for the past 3 weeks and I'm doing really well. 38 LI!

So I really think the bottom line is the fear of the unknown. You can watch as many raid videos as you want but there is no substitute for the real thing. Even though I have completed close to 5 total wings now I still don't feel comfortable joining random groups because I "think" every group has these crazy high expectations for people playing with them. I know this is not always the case. Self doubt is a Kitten!

Positive mental attitude!

@"Swagger.1459" said:2- The way your professions were designed... https://massivelyop.com/2019/03/28/massively-overthinking-thoughts-on-the-holy-trinity-in-mmos/

“Brianna Royce (@nbrianna, blog): Fun fact: I still remember when “holy trinity” meant tank, healer, and mezzer – the DPS players were a given, the warm bodies that filled out the rest of the group, and not part of the trinity back in the early pre-WoW days of MMO group content. The fact that this shifted over time really says all you need to know about how MMO class and combat design have changed, and not necessarily for the better.

Don’t mistake me; I no longer believe we need or must respect a trinity of either type. But what I truly resent is the loss of class variation and combat flow that naturally accompanied the demise of the classic trinity, specifically the fact that crowd control, buffing, and debuffing classes have all but disappeared in the modern rush to make nearly everyone a damage-dealer, even the healers and tanks.

Ironically, making everyone a damage-dealer actually lends itself more towards better designed content requiring a trinity. So long as it's done right (As opposed to FFXIV style "Make Tanks and Healers have to barely Tank or Heal")

If everyone is a damage dealer, then you can focus your content towards having a better distribution of Tank/Healer/Support especially in smaller group sizes, since you don't have to worry about fitting in X amount of DPS classes into each group.

An example, would be the industry standard "Dungeon" group is 1 Tank, 1 Healer and 3 DPS. This means that 1) There's inherently a disparity between required roles. 2) Requirements for 2 of the roles are shouldered entirely by a single person. 3) You have a separation of DPS from other roles, while Damage is the only infinitely scaling variable for encounters (I.e. Healing more, just leads to more overhealing. Tanking more, just leads to less healing required. While damaging more will always make fights go faster).This of course also gets worse as you enter into "Raid" groups which are often 2 Tanks, 2-4 Healers and X DPS (Depending on format, often they use multiples of regular party sizes, so 10, 15, 20 or 25 players meaning 6-19 DPS) which often highlights how poorly Tanking is designed in the game as there's usually a period of time where the 2nd Tank feels redundant (Also, sometimes actually replaced by another DPS) since the games entire combat system has been designed with the 1 Tank mentality for the majority of it which doesn't often translate well into then forcing multi-tank encounters (Typically using "Debuff that means you can't MT for X seconds" type mechanics that force swapping tanks or "This big attack hits number 1 AND 2 on threat" that simply requires 2 tanks to exist in the encounter)

In a setting where "Everyone is a damage dealer", you could instead find a standard 5 man Dungeon party of 1-2 Tanks, 1-2 Healers and 1-2 Support. Thereby allowing you to make content that can be more taxing on these roles as each one can find themselves with a partner to back them up. Heck, given the fact that all 3 of these roles happen to work towards the same goal of mitigating incoming damage, well designed content could find themselves in a situation where any number of these roles can accomplish said content. A party of 5 Tanks could absorb all the damage, a party of 5 Healers could heal all the damage or a party of 5 Supporters could lock down all the enemies (Provided you actually let players CC bosses and not enforce blanket immunities... One of the cool things about CoX was that it did allow for people to chain CC Arch Villains, to a point where a Controller/Dominator could solo an Arch Villain by perma-CC'ing them provided they had good enough mods to provide enough CC as well as damage to overcome natural regen).Of course, larger scale content becomes harder to design, since you then have to consider how to limit CC so as to not nullify the content with a handful of Supports. I.e. In the case of the CoX example where a Controller/Dominator can perma-CC an Arch Villain, such a character can single handedly nullify the need for a Tank or Healer in any content meaning that everyone else is there to act as a pure DPS (Though, I guess with everyone designed to be a damage dealer, it wouldn't necessarily mean they would be bored, as opposed to redundant Tanks/Healers in Tank/Healer/DPS trinity games. Also, this particular example wasn't unique in CoX, since Scrappers, Brutes and Masterminds could all easily solo Arch Villains by maxing out their defense/resistances too)

This potential all goes to waste once you start making specific "DPS" roles required to output the majority of the damage (Since, even if content is technically possible to still be accomplished with 5 Tanks or 5 Healers, people will err to the path of least resistance, which would be the much faster clears by having as many dedicated damage dealers as possible). Even more so when players start to look at gear and stats and there are stand alone options that maximize damage output designed for the DPS classes (As opposed to a scenario with only Tanks/Healers/Support where all 3 roles will need to focus on their role stats to perform), since then you get situations where everyone starts trying to forgo their role in order to stack up on damage (Since again, the only infinitely scaling variable is damage output)

@Obtena.7952 said:

Hey, I don't disagree with that. The idea that Anet reduced the raid release schedule somewhere between 'very long' to 'infinite' because of reduced revenues doesn't conflict with any of that. Like I said ... it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to make 'resource reduction' decisions based on the services they offer that make money vs. those that don't.

I get you think there is just a 'transfer' from raids to strike missions. If that's the case, it just supports my view that as originally offered, raids were not sustainable content to original adopters. And I believe that if there was a transfer, it was STILL a revenue-based decision.

/shrug ... so is any other claim someone will make. This thread is purely speculative exercise. That's already been solidified in another post about 3 pages ago.

You sound like someone determined to ruin the game for profits. The last game that did that was WoW and people really threatened to leave over stupid stuff like flying which in that game is not important at all.

Also strikes may be claimed to be as a transition agent for raids but that doesn't mean you have to do them to get into raiding. The only thing you need realistically is a high demand build and a positive attitude.

@Aridon.8362 said:

You sound like someone determined to ruin the game for profits.

You sound like someone fishing to have an argument. I've made my points. Feel free to address them.

@Obtena.7952 said:

You sound like someone fishing to have an argument. I've made my points. Feel free to address them.

I'm going to ignore that you just said I'm looking for an argument. From a business perspective being greedy and hostile to your audience for money is exactly what led to the downfall of many businesses and products. KFC did it to Colonel Sanders to reduce the cost of his original chicken formula, and now they use his face and belittle his memory as their trademark, now Popeyes dominates over fried chicken fast food, than KFC does. In the world of MMORPG Blizzard did the same thing to their beloved WoW and the creators were absolutely destroyed by what happened and even made their own accounts at how evil it was to make their game for profit.

They introduced multiple raiding difficulties expecting higher profits, which it didn't yield at all, and that led to the downfall of the game, raiders hated that because it reduced the quality of the incentive to even do raiding. Take this man named Harry that I knew from GameStop when I was 12. Harry at the time was 35 and loved wrath of the lich king and he had a static group for doing ICC. What happened is he did ICC on normal about 150 times. I'll let that sink in for a minute. When his group finally said they were going to do heroic mode he was so fed up as naturally anyone would be, of doing this stupid thing again and just quit the game for good.

And this happened more and more down the line. Eventually in MoP they introduced LFR which was a joke of a mode where you can just die and afk for each boss at will and come out with the kill no questions asked, and that ruined even more of the incentive to do raiding. Now imagine, in wow right now you have 4 difficulties of raiding, and you need a certain ilvl to progress. When you finally reach Mythic raiding you've already beaten normal and heroic twice, you have good gear, and realistically you could just do Mythic+ dungeons for armor or just raid on Mythic like a full time job. By the time you've reached Mythic raiding you're super exhausted from doing the raid as a whole and just leave the game. Mythic raiding as a whole is an expensive frustration-ride and is the actual real boss that you don't fight in LFR, normal, and heroic. This means you've been fighting fake bosses for the last two weeks only to fight the real one and wipe 50+ times for 1 kill. You also have to work your butt off to get the potions of unbridled fury. And Blizzard did this deliberately for profits to keep the player running on the hamster wheel and I will tell you that collectively, WoW is just not fun. Don't get me wrong the Raids are fun it's raiding that's not fun.

In contrast in Guild Wars 2 you get the real boss no questions asked and there is no line to cross to get into it other than being able to dodge roll out of orange circles and using the right builds. Knowing mechanics helps and so on. And you don't even need to look up guides guilds will go out of their way to train you if you're serious. In wow my first experience with LFR literally sucked out my soul from my body into a vortex, because here I thought I was going to get a challenge and I barely pressed a button to kill the boss, I literally ran around like an idiot swinging my sword like an idiot. At the end I asked, "That's it?" And literally just felt robbed out of fun.

I use raiding as an example because raiding as you've said is not a for profit game mode. But realistically speaking it could be any aspect of the game even WvW. If they start abusing the player for money more it just ruins the quality of the game. If anything, many raiders would agree that raids are incredibly accessible and that anyone and I mean anyone can have access to raiding, you just have too have a positive mental attitude and a willingness to succeed. There's no reason to slash off raiding simply because you can't do it, and then mask off the negativity as content you need ANET to monetize in order to do. Don't destroy the quality of something you have that you've never used in a product. If I have a product and this product has many different features that I never use but could be of great value to me, it would be my fault for not reaping the benefits of the features not the designer of the product.

Likewise like an instruction manual, the ANET guides for raiding on the wiki are pretty good, you don't need snowcrows builds and all of that nonsense. I would add pictures personally but they spare you from that so you experience the fun not watch it. Note that through cause and effect, ANET makes the game easy, then players who play everything easy will dominate the game. That actually reduces the quality of your MMORPG. Skins and visuals would effectively be the only good thing about the game and that will wear off quickly it's why so much of the initial launch population left, literally no investment in anything fun, and everyone was just grinding for that shiny skin. And that alone is unorthodox and really mundane. You'd see the aerodome empty and no real reason of doing raids to begin with as a group just solo it. Just do the raid solo...the most paradoxical statement on the planet.

Letting analytics decide what's fun is literally not a game design method. The man in this video explains it perfectly. You're not a game designer if you're letting statistics and analytics decide what's fun.

@Aridon.8362 said:

I'm going to ignore that you just said I'm looking for an argument. From a business perspective being greedy and hostile to your audience for money is exactly what led to the downfall of many businesses and products.

OK ... that has nothing to do with my the points I've made on why I think raids have a small audience ... seems to me you didn't just ignore that post ... you ignored all the other ones I've made too.

@maddoctor.2738 said:I'd like to see that post where the developers stated that they stopped Raid development due to revenue because I can't find any.

Are you implying a lack of a post from Anet proves me wrong? because if that's true, EVERYONE is wrong; I've NEVER seen a post with ANY reason for why they stopped it. Maybe you just don't understand this thread ... this will be the THIRD time I'm reminding people we are speculating here. Let's hope that does the trick for the hard of reading folks.

@maddoctor.2738 said:I'd like to see that post where the developers stated that they stopped Raid development due to revenue because I can't find any.Although their post about there not being enough players for them to justify further developing raids was not strictly talking about revenue, in the end it was exactly about it - that raids do not give them enough return back to justify the amount of resources they need.Unless, of course, you think they made that calculation without considering the financial aspect at all.

@"Aridon.8362" said:In the world of MMORPG Blizzard did the same thing to their beloved WoW and the creators were absolutely destroyed by what happened and even made their own accounts at how evil it was to make their game for profit.Riiight. They did it however from the safe haven of the one MMORPG that was (and still is, even in the current, vastly diminished market) at the top of food chain. Whle at the same time a lot of MMORPG games that forgot that business is primarily about profit came and went away, usually without even leaving their mark on the MMORPG scene.

They introduced multiple raiding difficulties expecting higher profits, which it didn't yield at all, and that led to the downfall of the game, raiders hated that because it reduced the quality of the incentive to even do raiding. Take this man named Harry that I knew from GameStop when I was 12. Harry at the time was 35 and loved wrath of the lich king and he had a static group for doing ICC. What happened is he did ICC on normal about 150 times. I'll let that sink in for a minute. When his group finally said they were going to do heroic mode he was so fed up as naturally anyone would be, of doing this stupid thing again and just quit the game for good.While for each single Harry there were a ton of people that weren't even raiding before LFR got introduced. And most of people like Harry were already quitting at this point due to burnout anyway. Heroic mode might have made your Harry quit a little bit faster (possibly, but you never know, he might have been past the border already from your short description, seeing as it doesn't seem he enjoyed that content "stupid thing" anymore ), but it wasn't what made him quit.

Don't get me wrong the Raids are fun it's raiding that's not fun.The point is, it never is, not after the first few succesful runs anyway. And yet no game can supply that type of content fast enough to ensure that the last one is still fun when the next one appears.

In contrast in Guild Wars 2 you get the real boss no questions asked and there is no line to cross to get into it other than being able to dodge roll out of orange circles and using the right builds. Knowing mechanics helps and so on. And you don't even need to look up guides guilds will go out of their way to train you if you're serious. In wow my first experience with LFR literally sucked out my soul from my body into a vortex, because here I thought I was going to get a challenge and I barely pressed a button to kill the boss, I literally ran around like an idiot swinging my sword like an idiot. At the end I asked, "That's it?" And literally just felt robbed out of fun.That was my experience with GW2 raids, you know. All that long buildup, training, getting your team together, and in the end the encounters just weren't fun enough to justify all of this. If they were easier, the unfun "preperation" part would have been way shorter, which it might have made the whole deal way better.

If they start abusing the player for money more it just ruins the quality of the game.True, but then multiple difficulty modes and LFR are hardly "abusing players for money". If you want an example for that, you need to look more towards things like GW2's implementation of build templates.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:I'd like to see that post where the developers stated that they stopped Raid development due to revenue because I can't find any.

Are you implying a lack of a post from Anet proves me wrong? because if that's true, EVERYONE is wrong; I've NEVER seen a post with ANY reason for why they stopped it. Maybe you just don't understand this thread ... this will be the THIRD time I'm reminding people we are speculating here. Let's hope that does the trick for the hard of reading folks.

No reason to get so worked up about it. If it was mere speculation there wouldn't be 10 pages, some try to make their speculation appear as the hard truth.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:I'd like to see that post where the developers stated that they stopped Raid development due to revenue because I can't find any.Although their post about there not being enough players for them to justify further developing raids was not strictly talking about revenue, in the end it was exactly about it - that raids do not give them enough return back to justify the amount of resources they need.

Their post was a blanket statement, and honestly I don't like blanket statements. Putting all Raids in the same basket and making a statement about their popularity as a whole, is a very weak argument. Given by a developer no less. Not to mention it contradicts their past statements on the subject.

Unless, of course, you think they made that calculation without considering the financial aspect at all.

I don't think it's so hard to believe that the statement was a band-aid to promote their new Strike Missions over Raids, besides, just like with Dungeons, the Raid team was disbanded and most of the developers of that team left Arenanet during the layoffs, a rather similar situation with dungeons. Team left, content abandoned, Anet made excuses to justify the lack of content to promote their newest toy. Not the first time

Guys, it was INTENDED to draw in a small audience. I was there and remember when it was talked about in HoT to an eye-roll heavy group of us players from the beginning of the game who had almost 0 incentive and interest to go into the raid itself. At the time I was actually quite into the idea of it and I even did the first raid wing shortly after it came out, was kinda fun but nothing to really write home about. The big deal is that it was meant to be niche content that didn't have a 100% confirmed cadence for when more would come out, we were after all surprised at how fast it actually did kind of start coming out.. (Which pissed more people off than it made happy, as people thought the game was focusing too much on it..)

I actually recall a talk with my guild at the time, where some of them left the game for a long time over raids MERELY existing. Guild wars 2 was sold as X and they tried to make it Y without doing what was required to do so. No tutorials for that type of content, no explanations and no real reason to do it and even now the rewards dont justify it and without power increases coming from raids I honestly couldn't of been bothered to continue on with it. Now im not saying they are terrible or anything, I don't really care either way but reading all this its like people forget that A-net Deliberately intended for it to be niche and attract a small portion of their player base. It was stated that it wasn't for everyone and they knew this. I remember very clearly that this was talked about in a couple of interviews leading up to HoT, and even in the Expansion dev talks back then along side the talks about revenant and what it meant going forward for the classes alongside E-specs..

Of course this was a different time, I feel like this was back when guild wars 2 had no clue what it wanted to be and was changing hands too much. We have a new team and it seems strikes/visions of the past will take the place of raids. Which might be unfortunate or it might not be as im not sure how I Feel about them on my perspective yet, but fighting over spilled milk is not gonna change anything. Raids were at their core designed to be niche, they never will and never were intended to cater to the vast majority of players and the vast majority of players are honestly none of the other game modes outside of Open world PvE. The largest portion of the game as far as I can tell is the open map/meta hunters/acheivo hunters and all that such stuff. Raiding probably is comparable in scope of pop with PvP, but Im not even sure about that due to how it seems very lively in PvP. WvW is a good chunk of the audience too, and they've been neglected for a long time I mean I've always been A WvW kid but they have ALWAYS been larger than the raiding scene and they got ignored for ages now.

Im sure more raids might be coming, might be slow due to the small audience and niche nature of them. But Until they ring the bell and the fat lady sings.... I wouldn't count them down and out just yet.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

No reason to get so worked up about it. If it was mere speculation there wouldn't be 10 pages, some try to make their speculation appear as the hard truth.

If you don't understand how revenue influences and drives business direction, then you don't have much to contribute to a discussion on it. There isn't any speculation about how that works. What I speculate about how raids have a small audience is based on some very common sense principles about business. You seem to have confused these common sense principles as speculative based on your statement.