Black Screen Randomly No Crash or Error Code

Just something else to try - disable hdmi audio (if you have amd gpu) or nvidia high definition audio in device manager in system settings for windows. This has caused me crashes on ocassions over the years (black screen with audio), so I don't install it with gpu drivers anymore. Just try it anyway even though it's probably a 0.1% chance related.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could all you guys post your system specs for easier troubleshooting? Because I assume this is Windows 10 related, since it is not an overlay issue.

@"abomally.2694" said:No. Windows 10 has been out long enough that the drivers are stable

Sure. Call an OS that updates to new versions of itself frequently rather than merely fixing bugs and security gaps and improving itself "stable". It's adding more new potential problems with each new build rather than solving previous ones with patches. I wonder how stable anything can be that constantly goes back into beta, so to speak...

There is a reason why gaming on Windows 10 is such a pain in the behind. It is not like previous Windows versions, it is in constant development and live testing on the millions of users' computers.

provided that your hardware isn't 10 years old. In fact, that's one thing Windows 10 got right.

And what is "that", exactly?

• 2 months later...

I've been reading this in the last 2 years. I have this issue, it's probably an issue regarding with our ISP communicating with GW2 server. I have used my Desktop and my HP Laptop and my wife's Dell Laptop, same issue. Now I'm currently using my Asus ROG Strix gaming laptop GTX1070 and I encountered this black screen issue 3 times today already.

Note that I am using Window Mode and yes GW2 Turns black, I can pull out the gw2 settings window by pressing F11 when screen turns black, when I press F12 I have an option to Log out or Character Selection screen, whenever I choose one it doesn't do anything, just black screen with background music.

I also play other MMORPG and RPG like Elder Scrolls Online, Black Desert Online, Monster Hunter World and Witcher 3, those games have massive demand from your video card when it comes to graphics and I can play those smoothly with no issue. So I'm 100% sure this is not regarding any drivers of your Video Card. If updating drivers fixed your issue then you have a different problem before, not the same as mine. It's already December 13, 2019 and I still encounter this issue.

In November I put together a new PC:

• MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
  • Ryzen 5 3600x
  • Corsair 32 GB (2 x 16GB) RAM DDR4 3200 MHz (2 x 16GB)
  • EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER XC 8GB GDDR6
  • EVGA 650W semi modular power supply
  • Samsung NVMe
  • Dell 120Hz FreeSync monitor

Played RDR2 no problem, GW2 crashing few minutes in, crashing to desktop, crashing reporting errors, BSD, so I did the following:

• re-installed Windows 10
  • disable firewall
  • added GW2 folder to windows defender exclusion
  • etc
  • etc
  • etc

I'm a software developer so I know how to keep my Windows installation clean and optimized

Still crashing, so yeah, I'm new to GW2 but already giving up, I haven't joined a dungeon or anything because I don't want to become a liability to other members.

• 3 months later...

In my case the black screen issue was due to the bios settings, but indeed was my personal case, it can be also the nvidia drivers or something else.

I did different tests, changed the PSU (750w), but the issue persist, then cpu heatsink and reset the bios to default.In the bios i restore everything on default AUTO values, apart of course ram that need XMP profile to work at 2666 and disable MCE ( a sort of motherboard overclock that i do not use for just 3-4 fps).I also replace last nvidia drivers with the preovious and stable version (i've 1660 Super gpu) that were for my card the 441.08. My monitor is a 60Hz ips, my os Win 7 x64.

Regarding the heatsink, i think it worked well but is something i did just to be 100% more safe since the noctua U12A had issues fitting well into the socket, it hit the socket metal enclosure protection and so it was not perfectly aligned, so i aslo replace it with my old heatsink that cover only the IHS of the cpu (Intel 9700k).

These things i did help to solve the crashes while playing, at least for now, so before do some drastic hardware changes try such things before, it can help and do the trick, but indeed the game engine is so bad optimized, even for modern hardware, that i can't exclude some compatibilities while your system is perfectly fine.

Dont know what is the deal with this game.??? I play top graphic games max set... aka Star Citizen, BDO.... no problem..GW2 only game...log in ...black screen...G driver not responding end everything is on low...so right now game is unplayable end looks like no defs responding on this tread so no one caresEnd yeah ... i tried everything there is to try...nothing works100% sure there is something in GW2 files that interfere with graphic driver..

@Zee.1294 said:Dont know what is the deal with this game.??? I play top graphic games max set... aka Star Citizen, BDO.... no problem..GW2 only game...log in ...black screen...G driver not responding end everything is on low...so right now game is unplayable end looks like no defs responding on this tread so no one caresEnd yeah ... i tried everything there is to try...nothing works100% sure there is something in GW2 files that interfere with graphic driver..

For an individualized response, you can contact the Tech CS Team via the 'Support' link.Tech Devs very rarely, if ever, post here.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Been playing for about a solid year now havent had a single issue, then about 9 or 10 days ago an update for the game happened and then it started black screening randomly, ive tried everything the TS has told me and nothing fixes it, i even tried rolling back drivers and completely removing my drivers and reinstalling, ive used a vpn, even a different internet connection and still no fix....

Give DX912PXY a try if you are on Windows 10.Not because of more FPS, but it enforces another render path, DX12.If that happens since an upgrade to GW2 they might have brought in new/changed shaders that run into an error on youre GPU drivers.I have the feeling DX9 is somewhat neglected nowadays regardless of AMD/NVIDIA/Intel.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Tried rolling back any Windows updates?

There are updates you can't roll back, like this one: KB4550945It's an update applied to fix the fatal KB4549951 update (but is not doing that reliably).

Windows 10 is a constant open beta, it's the worst OS Microsoft has ever released. You discover issues and bugs on a weekly basis, and many never get fixed.

Having same issue.. tried VPN, clientport, drivers, nothing is working.. just random black screen no error. can pull up f12 menu but clicking logout or character select does nothing. just forced to close it via task manager or alt tabbing out to close it

• 2 weeks later...

Having this issue these days. Random black screen, but system still up. Alt+Tab working, F12 can call out the menu but no reaction when clicking the button.Already try to reinstall Windows 10, with all drivers are new installed. No luck.Try to not using Taco & Yolomouse, issue remains.Now trying to remove arcdps, and see will it works ...

edit1: removed arcdps, not working.edit2: tested with using -clientport 80, and 443, seems not related.

@shou doe.2496 said:i got this issue aswell today. I just started lw2 the first episode. Could the bug caused by the latest update? F12 prompts the log out options, the character select button doesnt work either, gives an black screen.

This thread start at 2017, seems it not related to the latest update? though I start hitting this issue a week ago.

• 1 month later...

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Sailor Pickles.5832 said:Any updates about this? I've been okay putting up with it for a year but now I can't go any farther with the story because there isn't enough time to complete the section I'm trying to do between crashes.

Have you discussed it with the Tech CS Team?

I just sent one now, didn't think there was much of a point since it seems like it didn't get anyone anywhere but I'll guess I'll find out for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have 2 monitors connected while playing, you may try disabling one while playing those parts of the game that typically cause the disconnect. By doing so, I was able to finally successfully complete several of the story steps that previously disconnected me. Desktop --> Display Settings --> Multiple Displays --> Show only on 1. I also incorporated these settings other people have suggested: -clientport 443 on command line, windowed fullscreen, and limit framerate to 60. Of course, everyone's system is different and there can be multiple root causes/solutions for the issue. But I hope this may help someone enjoy the game.

• 1 year later...