Burning is abusive

anjo.6143

@Ragnar.4257 said:

@"pninak.1069" said:I want to know where players think 11k burns come from. tbh I think it is a blatant lie, because you forgot to count in the dmg part of skills which can do quite more than condis on top. condis are just the stuff added on the side. so for condis your dmg is far lower but it stacks together with condis leading to such myths.

for example if I have 2k condi dmg burn does 443 dmg per second. so to reach 11k burn I need 11k:443= 25 stacks burning. this number is unlikely to get reached, because even with my 100% burn guard I can't get past 12 in pve.

this alone is about 9k burn dmg.1 skill. dunno how the rest works but the fact that 1 ability can whack people for over half HP, with no cast time on low cooldown AOE pulsing...oh and a passive that does the same every 10s. :D

Even on the most meme-iest of meme burn guard builds, taking absolutely everything to increase burn damage/duration, the most you can push that to is 6k.

People just straight-up lying now at this point, the forums are fake news.

you poor thing cant read, I feel bad for you XD.it legit does 11k burning on the build you posted, add in 1,1k power damage and you have 12k+ dmg.EDIT thx to you I realized it has 12s cd not 15, this ability alone has over 1k dps if used off cooldown XD

Right, and core-mesmer can do a 12k+ burst every 12 seconds with mirrorblade+mind-wrack.

Berserker with Arc-Divider can do it every 5 seconds.

It doesn't make it viable anywhere above Gold.

there is a difference between 1 ability dealing 12k dmg and several abilities dealing 12k dmg.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@"pninak.1069" said:I want to know where players think 11k burns come from. tbh I think it is a blatant lie, because you forgot to count in the dmg part of skills which can do quite more than condis on top. condis are just the stuff added on the side. so for condis your dmg is far lower but it stacks together with condis leading to such myths.

for example if I have 2k condi dmg burn does 443 dmg per second. so to reach 11k burn I need 11k:443= 25 stacks burning. this number is unlikely to get reached, because even with my 100% burn guard I can't get past 12 in pve.

this alone is about 9k burn dmg.1 skill. dunno how the rest works but the fact that 1 ability can whack people for over half HP, with no cast time on low cooldown AOE pulsing...oh and a passive that does the same every 10s. :D

How are you getting 9k?

mesmers torch burns for 3,5k. 1 stack for 9s.zealots does 4 stacks for 2s, so that equales 1 stack for 8s.on top of flip skill 3stacks for 3s = 1 stack for 9s, that already equals 17s burn if it was 1 stack. quick math thats 6,7k burn.add in power dmg, and radiant fire bonus burn duration and here ya go. about 9k, depending on the rune it could be much more, on mesmer im using hybrid.with balthazar I could see it being about 11-12k dmg over all if everything lands.

Do you actually know how to play mesmer?

whats the point of this post? other then to try and throw a jab at me?did you get excited after dealing 26% of teams damage? whats the point you are trying to make?

@Yasai.3549 said:Best way to nerf Burning is to make Expertise no longer affect it.

Burning was designed to deal heavy DoT, but over a short duration of probably 1 - 2 seconds.What ended up happening was that Expertise allowed this heavy DoT to stack up and do damage over several seconds, which results in the problem we have right now.

In fact, this is an Expertise problem altogether.

Conditions should be balanced in this way :

• Bleeding : Longest duration, stacks in intensity, perfect for consistent DoT damage.
  • Poison : Second longest duration, stacks in intensity, an alternative to Bleeding and does slightly more damage.
  • Torment and Confusion : Action based Conditions, SHOULD NOT stack in intensity, stacks in duration and should have their damage adjusted to reflect this.
  • Burning : Highest damage, shortest duration, Expertise does not affect it, or lower the scaling to 50% to benefit long duration Burn skills and render the stat useless for short duration Burns. (Stuff like Engineer Blowtorch for example, is pretty okay. Stuff like Spirit Blades stacking Burn per hit is not okay)

Torment and Confusion should punish players for using their respective actions, but not to the point where it deletes their health with every step or skill use.Long, extended duration would force these players to play under these effects for much longer if they have burnt a Cleanse prior, and have their current damage increased.

Burning should straight up not be allowed to stack to ridiculous amounts.Having alot of Burning is okay.Having alot of Burning that stacks up is not okay.

Post this as a separate thing, pretty nice rework.

@Tayga.3192 said:

@Yasai.3549 said:Best way to nerf Burning is to make Expertise no longer affect it.

Burning was designed to deal heavy DoT, but over a short duration of probably 1 - 2 seconds.What ended up happening was that Expertise allowed this heavy DoT to stack up and do damage over several seconds, which results in the problem we have right now.

• Bleeding : Longest duration, stacks in intensity, perfect for consistent DoT damage.
  • Poison : Second longest duration, stacks in intensity, an alternative to Bleeding and does slightly more damage.
  • Torment and Confusion : Action based Conditions, SHOULD NOT stack in intensity, stacks in duration and should have their damage adjusted to reflect this.
  • Burning : Highest damage, shortest duration, Expertise does not affect it, or lower the scaling to 50% to benefit long duration Burn skills and render the stat useless for short duration Burns. (Stuff like Engineer Blowtorch for example, is pretty okay. Stuff like Spirit Blades stacking Burn per hit is not okay)

Torment and Confusion should punish players for using their respective actions, but not to the point where it deletes their health with every step or skill use.Long, extended duration would force these players to play under these effects for much longer if they have burnt a Cleanse prior, and have their current damage increased.

Burning should straight up not be allowed to stack to ridiculous amounts.Having alot of Burning is okay.Having alot of Burning that stacks up is not okay.

Post this as a separate thing, pretty nice rework.

The OP is a thief...you are a thief and the guy in the post you've quoted is a revenant.......if you want burning to be reworked...all conditions should be reworked. Longest duration and stacking in intensity? yeah...but your dmg must be cut down to 1/4 of current iteration.....lol condi thieves and herald/mallyx trying to be clever

Burning is insane in all game modes. I tried fighting a wyvern in Verdant Brink the other day and it was just constant mass death.

The thing about burning is that it's a "condition" that doesn't really give you any time to react. It does so much damage before you even have time to clear it, and if there are cover conditions then you're pretty much f'd.

The only condition that even comes close to it I would say is poison when it's traited for the damage boost on thief, and maybe condi ranger or something.

But yeah, I think burning definitely needs a balance pass. Or maybe a slight redesign?

Since we already have poison and bleeding, it would be neat to see burning do less immediate damage but have a bonus proc like inherently spreading. Something that makes it behave differently than just an insane bursty condi.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

How are you getting 9k?

mesmers torch burns for 3,5k. 1 stack for 9s.zealots does 4 stacks for 2s, so that equales 1 stack for 8s.on top of flip skill 3stacks for 3s = 1 stack for 9s, that already equals 17s burn if it was 1 stack. quick math thats 6,7k burn.add in power dmg, and radiant fire bonus burn duration and here ya go. about 9k, depending on the rune it could be much more, on mesmer im using hybrid.with balthazar I could see it being about 11-12k dmg over all if everything lands.

whats the point of this post? other then to try and throw a jab at me?did you get excited after dealing 26% of teams damage? whats the point you are trying to make?

You're comparing mesmer torch..to guardian torch in terms of dmg/utility.....the video is self-explanatory, it looks to me as you jumped on mesmer wagon when chronobunker was a thing, your class has been surfing the high waves for the last 5 years and it was about time for the right changes to occur.

Can't remember how many turned pro overnight after switching to chronobunker and how many became gods of 1v1 when condi mirage got introduced

@Arheundel.6451 said:

How are you getting 9k?

You're comparing mesmer torch..to guardian torch in terms of dmg/utility.....the video is self-explanatory, it looks to me as you jumped on mesmer wagon when chronobunker was a thing, your class has been surfing the high waves for the last 5 years and it was about time for the right changes to occur.

Can't remember how many turned pro overnight after switching to chronobunker and how many became gods of 1v1 when condi mirage got introduced

havent played chrono when it was broken, sorry to burst your bubble, joined pvp when bunker scrapper was a thing.direct hardcounter that made chrono bunker unplayable.

I did also enjoy the comparison of a torch skill that gives stealth, blind, blast finisher and condi-cleanse as well as burning to 5 targets, to a torch skill that does nothing but burning to 1 target.

Are you proposing to add stealth to guardian torch and make the throw a 5-target AoE?

Given the choice, most guardians would take mesmer torch in a heartbeat.

LoL Yeah, having a lot of burning is okay...as long as it doesn't actually do anything, right? Sensible policies for a better GW2! Hire this guy!

@MorgothLich.1253 said:I'll let the data speak for itselfFrom gw2 wiki:Burning(0.155 Condition Damage) + (1.55 Level) + 7 damage per stack per second,(0.155 * Condition Damage) + 131 damage per stack per second at Level 80

Bleeding(0.06 Condition Damage) + (0.25 Level) + 2 damage per stack per second,(0.06 * Condition Damage) + 22 damage per stack per second at level 80.

Poison(0.06 Condition Damage) + (0.375 Level) + 3.5 damage per stack per second,(0.06 * Condition Damage) + 33.5 damage per stack per second at level 80.

TormentWhile stationary (WvW and sPvP):(0.045 Condition Damage) + 15.9 damage per stack per second.While moving:(0.09 Condition Damage) + (0.36 Level) + 3 damage per stack per second,(0.09 Condition Damage) + 31.8 damage per stack per second at level 80.

Confusion(0.1 Level) + 2 damage per stack per second.10 damage per stack per second at level 80.Damage on skill activation (Player):(0.0975 Condition Damage) + (0.575 Level) + 3.5 damage per stack.(0.0975 Condition Damage) + 49.5 damage per stack.

My opinion:It is undeniable that burning packs the most damage of all the conditions and it can really reach too high damage in few stacks compared to the number of stack of bleeding, poison and torment. And probably a sligh nerf in coefficient would not be bad for the game.Does it needs to be nerfed across all classes? It would be an easy fix, but probably not the correct one. Infact the core of the argument would be how easy access does a class have to high numbers of stacks of burning? Infact would be a complete fail to reduce burning damage for classes that have very infrequent burning or with very low stacks. Probably reducing burning in stacks and frequency of reapplying it would be the way to go. This requires testing done properly considering all factors

+1

that's quite interesting work. Also i do agree with your opinion and this should be a healthy approach in addressing Burning Toxicity as a start. Thank You! for posting this

one thing tho. unlike for other condis the classes applying burning have to go in melee range. guardian with torch, weaver. necro is propably the only one together with mesmer that have ranged applications. so I dunno why you want player to get punished less when they stay in melee range.

Yeah it need a nerf .Max 8-10% of your target hp every secAnd the damage is reduced by half , if you wear Toughness gear

Edit: Updated Animes on sigYeah , they are old ..for some reason i havent seen any after 2014 ...(Japanese Audio is preferable , 70% of the English Dubbed..sux with ''i want to punch in the face'' girls)Watch max 3 ep .... dont bother to move on if you dont like it .

Recite from memory for every bad event

https://aniwatcher.com/anime-list
(where you watch most animes)

@pninak.1069 said:one thing tho. unlike for other condis the classes applying burning have to go in melee range. guardian with torch, weaver. necro is propably the only one together with mesmer that have ranged applications. so I dunno why you want player to get punished less when they stay in melee range.

You ignorant comment proves that you don't know guardian mechanics at all as you have never played the class. Torch in PVP? Nice joke. Try using it and hitting anything with it without being CCed to oblivion. Honestly, l2p and cleanse -----guard has only 1 damaging condition.

• 8 months later...

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

for example if I have 2k condi dmg burn does 443 dmg per second. so to reach 11k burn I need 11k:443= 25 stacks burning. this number is unlikely to get reached, because even with my 100% burn guard I can't get past 12 in pve.I don't know man.

3vUygH1.png

I always fine pictures like this interesting. From my understanding the death breakdown doesn't show damage from when you are downed.

This means before you finally died you managed to survive 180k damage from burning. Does that really sound super effective ? You'll never see power damage numbers in the death log this high due to the nature of the damage type, being instant.

I'd be more interested if this had much lower amount of burning but you still died which means you really got bursted.

My other issue with the death breakdown is all you know is burning is what killed you but it doesn't break down top skills that applied the burning.

It's very misleading.

It's not misleading at all. Someone in the short time span of a 2v2 match, was able to deal enough burn damage to him to have gotten a top damage stat in an elongated conquest match. And that's not to mention the other condis and power damage rolling off the guy who dealt that burning.

That's a lot of no-tell passive proc condi pressure imo.

We could argue as to whether or not these builds are even competitive in higher tiered scenes, but is that even the point? I don't know, you tell me.

@DoubleSway.1549 said:Burn damage is obviously overpowered. It takes no skill to apply stacks of burn damage. It makes the current meta of the game terrible and completely unfun to play.

Burn is a bit overtuned but for guard they have to hit you 5 or 3 times to trigger 1 stack of burning so it requires skill lol if you receive the same amount of hits if the guard was power you would be dead anyway... oh wait guard power damage is trash... but yes i agree burn guard needs a nerf pw needs to have its coef check.Edit: also trapper runes need an icd of 5 secs atleast.

@Virdo.1540 said:how do u wanna nerf it? Put down the damage? Then its like bleeding, just with shorter duration.

Easy enough: You cleanse one type of condition you get a buff which block the reapplication of the same condition for some time. It could be based in the stacks, so status conditions (no intensity stacking) would only have the buff for 1s.Damaging conditions with intensity stacking could get 1s by stack with a high cap of some seconds let's say 10. So if you get 12 burns and you cleanse you get a buff for the next 10s which blocks any new burnings incoming.

This can be applied to the whole game, PvE would not be impacted. No need to fiddle with conditions in the different game modes, it would self balance itself.10s buff too strong? let's nerf it to 5s. The important thing is to be able to have time to restore the cleanses, unless the condi damage become dodgeage, limited by current LoS, blockable by aegis and blocks, the design is simply too oppressive with current mechanics.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@Virdo.1540 said:how do u wanna nerf it? Put down the damage? Then its like bleeding, just with shorter duration.

Easy enough:
You cleanse one type of condition you get a buff which block the reapplication of the same condition for some time
. It could be based in the stacks, so status conditions (no intensity stacking) would only have the buff for 1s.Damaging conditions with intensity stacking could get 1s by stack with a high cap of some seconds let's say 10. So if you get 12 burns and you cleanse you get a buff for the next 10s which blocks any new burnings incoming.

This can be applied to the whole game, PvE would not be impacted. No need to fiddle with conditions in the different game modes, it would self balance itself.10s buff too strong? let's nerf it to 5s. The important thing is to be able to have time to restore the cleanses, unless the condi damage become dodgeage, limited by current LoS, blockable by aegis and blocks, the design is simply too oppressive with current mechanics.

Condition damage is dodgeable. Condition damage is blockable.

Guardian throws a torch? You can block it. Scourge throws a Shade? You can dodge it. Rev throws some mace skills? You can blind it.

Oh, you mean that you can't dodge it after it has already hit you? You mean...... exactly the same as power skills?

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

How are you getting 9k?

Ok but you're comparing a pure damage skill / weapon to one that does other effects and it more utility( blind, stealth). Not only that but you would have to stand near on directly on top of someone for 3s as well as making sure to hit the flip skill shot, which removes the passive effect.

I get what you're doing but something can look strong on paper but in practical application be nowhere near as powerful.

and then torch 4 can be easy dodged, its 1 hit not 4 spread over, you dont have to dodge it 4 times to negate the damage, expecially since you have 3s heads up, and 2x the cooldown. its all a trade off.look at it from a different angle, if you miss half the hits you still deal more dmg then any mesmer torch skill, on half the cooldown and with questionable cast time.

You have the same 3s prep time if you want to get the most out of torch 4 on guard. Using the flip skill ends the effect on you and it has a really obvious animation and wind up. And again all it does is damage. It has 0 utility compared to mesmer torch.

There's more to skills than how much damage they do...

ofc, but the fact remains that this is kill button on 15s cd. with the ammout of CC flying around it does too much damage.they gotta adress the CC first and see how it goes, doubt they will do a good job with their track record :Dbtw I would trade any torch skill for it any day on mesmer, even if it had 30s cd

Okay, there is so much misinformation here that i just have to chime in.First of, burn dh doesn't run torch or radiance. So this skill is a complete non-factor on any decent burn build.Secondly, try using the ability. The throw is ground bound, see sword 3, hammer 3, lb 3. Meaning you can't hit elevated targets with it.It's also extremely slow moving and doesn't home in on the target.

The skill looks good on paper (just like engi pistol 4 and ranger torch skills) but it's hot garbage.No actual guard build has used torch in years, or ever.

@"Ragnar.4257" said:Condition damage is dodgeable. Condition damage is blockable.

Guardian throws a torch? You can block it. Scourge throws a Shade? You can dodge it. Rev throws some mace skills? You can blind it.

Oh, you mean that you can't dodge it after it has already hit you? You mean...... exactly the same as power skills?Your example is flawled i will give you the power version of the condi.

A ranger shoot a Rapid Fire agaisnt you. Currently you get hit once but can dodge, block or LoS the rest and mitigate some damage, 1K total damage, it's fine.

The condition version would be if the ranger hit you once and you get the full damage of the rapid fire overtime, unblockable and undodgeable.

One Wolf Pack i see a lot of crying about this skill, well the condi version would be instead ticking once it would tick for the next 4 seconds. The current 1K damage tick is well within low side of the bleeds damage you may get from almost any condi build.

And now you say "cleanses" and i say: Ranger Longbow auto attack is now the new Rapid Fire which only needs to hit you once and you get damage overtime. As you can see an amazing mechanic which power damage would need to benefit from as well.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Ragnar.4257" said:Condition damage is dodgeable. Condition damage is blockable.

Oh, you mean that you can't dodge it
after
it has already hit you? You mean...... exactly the same as power skills?Your example is flawled i will give you the power version of the condi.

A ranger shoot a
agaisnt you. You get the first hit but can dodge the rest and mitigate some damage.

The condition version would be if the ranger hit you once shot and you get the full damage of the rapid fire overtime, unblockable and undodgeable.

i see a lot of crying about this skill, well the condi version would be instead ticking once it would tick for the next 4 seconds. The current 1K damage tick is well within low side of the bleeds damage you may get from almost any condi build.

And now you say "cleanses" and i say: Ranger Longbow auto attack is now the new Rapid Fire which only needs to hit you once and you get damage overtime. As you can see an amazing mechanic which power damage would need to benefit from as well.

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

You've chosen a skill that does multiple hits, and compared it to an imaginary skill that does 1 hit. Why not compare it to Mighty Blow or Eviscerate? Those only hit once and do all their damage, but those don't count because they're pooooower right??

Why not compare rapid-fire to another skill that has multiple hits? Like ranger fire trap, sword of justice, plaguelands, caltrops, confusing images etc etc etc Those don't just hit once and dump all their damage up front, they need to hit multiple times to give the full efffect. Exactly the same as rapid-fire, you can eat the first hit of those and dodge the rest, mitigating the damage.