Downloading GW2 Files Remaining stuck at 49,100? (edit found solution)

so download was going well and at decent speed about ~10 MB/s until it hit 49,100 files remaining since then counter is stuck at that value while data downloaded still goes up but at slower rate about 2-3MB/s , it went up by about 4GB since it hit 49,100 and total data downloaded so far is 45,225MB (not sure how much total of whole game should be) but file-count and progress-bar didn't move at all is it normal for file count and progress bar to be stuck for long? are remaining files just that massive?

huh I run it with -log and it seems it can't download certain file I tries to re download it over and over so that's why MB downloaded goes up while file-count remains the same I'll found some similar topics and will try different things man I already wasted 2 days and it wasn't progressing at all :(

I found working fix using VPN and switching to US helped but I had to use US server when I tried other European servers for VPN I was getting same issue so I guess the issue is somewhere in European asset servers? (I'm from Poland I tried Czech and German VPN servers and had the issue)

maybe this will help some other users if you don't have VPN try asset-server from different region will than yoursread this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#Usageand add to your shortcut -assetsrv 52.202.5.88 or -assetsrv 54.84.216.160 those are NA asset servers EU asset servers that I tested all had the isuue

• Like 1

Yup

This is happening to me and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I've played this game for 8 years now and have had to reinstall plenty of times, never had any issues like this before:

When I try to reinstall the game, it says it is downloading and it shows the amount of MB downloaded, but the file's remaining gets stuck at 33,151. And even though it shows that it is still downloading, it never cracks that number of 33,151.

I've sat and let the bar completely finish the download all the way to end, but when I restart the client it starts back over at 0% with 33,151 files to download, but none of them ever touch the computer.

The strangest part about this, is that before this happened, it had downloaded maybe about 50% of the game file first, which stuck on the PC, and THEN it started doing this with those remaining 33.151 files. It shows and says they are being downloaded, acts like they finish from the bar under, but they never touch the PC somehow.

• Like 1

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:This is happening to me and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I've played this game for 8 years now and have had to reinstall plenty of times, never had any issues like this before:

This is currently a common problem because some of the patch servers are handing out corrupted files, which causes GW2 to download them over and over since it's not getting what it expects. There are other causes, but this is currently the most common and can be solved by simply launching with "-assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com" to use the main US patch server - only use it to get past the files you're stuck on, since it'll be slower.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Healix.5819" said:This is currently a common problem because some of the patch servers are handing out corrupted files, which causes GW2 to download them over and over since it's not getting what it expects. There are other causes, but this is currently the most common and can be solved by simply launching with "-assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com" to use the main US patch server - only use it to get past the files you're stuck on, since it'll be slower.

have been reading these posts here and i dont understand half of them. "run with" "launch with" and whatsoever. anyway i have the same problem its stuck at around 50k remaining files and apparently its trying to download the same file over and over again.so can anyone of you explain what to do in a very simple way? in forms of "right click the exe data, go to properties, then ...." please ...

@"Luc de Lanzac.2160" said:in forms of "right click the exe data, go to properties, then ...." please ...

Right click your GW2 shortcut and select properties. It should open a window with a shortcut tab selected. At the top is the target path. At the end of this path is where you can add the options, like this:

"C:\Example\Gw2-64.exe" -assetsrv 54.84.216.160

Remove this from the shortcut after you're done.

@"Ordin.8341" said:huh I run it with -log and it seems it can't download certain file I tries to re download it over and over so that's why MB downloaded goes up while file-count remains the same I'll found some similar topics and will try different things man I already wasted 2 days and it wasn't progressing at all :(

I found working fix using VPN and switching to US helped but I had to use US server when I tried other European servers for VPN I was getting same issue so I guess the issue is somewhere in European asset servers? (I'm from Poland I tried Czech and German VPN servers and had the issue)

maybe this will help some other users if you don't have VPN try asset-server from different region will than yoursread this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#Usageand add to your shortcut -assetsrv 52.202.5.88 or -assetsrv 54.84.216.160 those are NA asset servers EU asset servers that I tested all had the isuueThanks it help (-assetsrv 52.202.5.88)

@Healix.5819 said:

@"Luc de Lanzac.2160" said:in forms of "right click the exe data, go to properties, then ...." please ...

Right click your GW2 shortcut and select properties. It should open a window with a shortcut tab selected. At the top is the target path. At the end of this path is where you can add the options, like this:

"C:\Example\Gw2-64.exe" -assetsrv 54.84.216.160

Remove this from the shortcut after you're done.

Thank you so much for the clear instructions! This solved the problem for me too. <3

The fixes suggested in this post did not fix it for me. The files remaining count wont update at all. However, I have noticed every time I restart the launcher the file count goes down by 1. Guess I just have to do it 43 thousand times, then I'll be home free.

Seriously though, does anyone have other suggestions on how to fix this? Changing the asset server did nothing for me besides lower the depicted download speed. Thank you!

@knako.6709 said:Seriously though, does anyone have other suggestions on how to fix this? Changing the asset server did nothing for me besides lower the depicted download speed. Thank you!

Using origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com (currently 54.84.216.160 and 52.202.5.88) will be slower because it's the main server located in the US on the east coast, whereas assetcdn (your default) is closer to your location. The main problem right now is some assetcdn servers have corrupted files, which is causing the launcher to get stuck endlessly downloading them.

Most people will simply be able to use:

-assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com

If that's not working, use:

-log -image -assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com -patchconnections 1

If that's still stuck, let it sit for 5+ minutes, then exit and check Gw2.log for errors (located under %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/). If it's not stuck, let it download a few files then exit and launch normally; repeat if necessary.

Is anyone from AN reading these support forums? The problem is still there!My download is stuck at 0% showing the same file remaining counter, download rate jumps to 2MB/s then plummets to 0 KBs where it stays for a while until it jumps again. I've restarted countless times and tried all values for "-assetsrv", still same behaviour. It's embarasing this issue is being reported for weeks and still hasn't been fixed. At this point I literally can't download and play the game.

Been stuck downloading since around 50k files left for almost a week now.

So i just used the "-assetsrv 54.84.216.160" trick and its now finally downloading normally.

What a weird bug and what a massive problem when people who end up not installing/playing the game when they don't find a solution.

I believe this is the correct information:

Follow these steps if you are running the game on a Mac operating system:

Click on the "Finder" icon located in your Dock or the desktop of your computer to make "Finder" the active program in the Finder menu bar.Click on "Go" in the Finder menu bar. A dropdown will appear.Click on "Utilities."Once in the "Utilities" folder click Terminal.app.Copy and paste the following line into the terminal and click "Enter":/Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/GuildWars2 -assetsrv 54.84.216.160

(I don't have a Mac, nor ever have had a Mac. These instructions are from the Knowledge Base [but using a different Command Line Argument].)

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

@knako.6709 said:The fixes suggested in this post did not fix it for me. The files remaining count wont update at all. However, I have noticed every time I restart the launcher the file count goes down by 1. Guess I just have to do it 43 thousand times, then I'll be home free.

Seriously though, does anyone have other suggestions on how to fix this? Changing the asset server did nothing for me besides lower the depicted download speed. Thank you!

Has anyone faced the same problem as myself and knako.6709? Files remaining stuck at 77,460 and 0% for me.

Drive has hundreds of gb in space. Tried using all of these but nothing works:

-assetsrv 52.202.5.88-assetsrv 54.84.216.160-log -image -assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com -patchconnections 1-repair

Even tried deleting installer and downloaded files, restarting download process, changing IPV4 DNS to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4.

Nothing works. Anyone have any solutions?

EDIT: Using a VPN has helped with this, files are reducing now. After the free VPN of 500mb finished, just downloading normally without the VPN works fine now. TunnelBear's free version was the one I used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

@"Zerrafel.4123" said:Any solution? I'm using macOS, it reverts to 0% every time it stops at 91%, please help

Normally you'd use the -assetsrv option to change which patch server you're using, but it's been broken for months, so instead you have to edit your hosts file, which is etc/hosts or private/etc/hosts for Mac. (for more info)

Add the following to the end of the file:52.206.178.33 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Remove it when you're done. Note the IP will eventually change, which will cause it to fail to connect.

For future reference, lookup the current IP using:nslookup origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1