Depths of Tyria and Primordius

hugo.4705

There is a thing I wondered since the start of that game. We know the underground of Tyria was the home of several races (Dwarves, Asura, Chaks, Skritts and so on....)Recently with the steel warband mission well we saw Primordius corrupted dwarves (or they was imbued by a ritual), in Darkrime Delves too.But technically, can't it be possible for us to see fire corrupted Skritts or Asura too? There were case of living being corrupted like the devourer queen, the grawl shaman or the drakes (in the vision); but never one of the main races. It was the case for any other dragon (apart mysterious Sbubbles): Sylvari mainly for mordry, any races within Pact for Zhaithan, Multiracial (Norn/Kodan/Quaggans (charrs soon?)) for Jormag, Multiracial (Ogres, devourers, elementals, humans, charrs) for Kralkatorrik. But what about Primordy?

All to say, that seeing fire corrupted creatures can be interesting speaking of designs but also regarding lores, part of plot or whatever.

We haven't seen much, if any, of Primordus actually corrupting any living thing, as much as making destroyers straight out of lava modeled based on living things. The Stone Summit we saw in the strike mission seemingly did a ritual to try to prevent them from undergoing the change to stone that all dwarves underwent, that apparently went wrong and they got corrupted that way. There hasn't been any indication that Primordus seeks to corrupt living things, rather than just destroy them entirely, but maybe we'll see more on Primordus later.

After years of fighting the corrupted minions of the other Elder Dragons, IMHO it's actually rather refreshing that Primordus DOESN'T use corrupted minions.

The "dwarfs" in the Forging Steel mission were really only still dwarfs in the loosest sense. They once were a faction of the Stone Summit who sought to resist the Rite of the Great Dwarf and turning to stone by means of a fire-based counter-ritual, something like (if not actually) a "Rite of the Great Destroyer". But they were playing with darker powers than they knew; they unwittingly tapped into Primordus itself and its power consumed them from within, leaving only stone shells full of fire and rage. They effectively turned themselves into dwarf-shaped Destroyers, and frankly, killing them was probably as much mercy as justice for all the Stone Summit's sins.

Oh, and one particular point about other races being corrupted: while most races can be corrupted -- even noble, friendly races like Kodan and quaggans -- we have never seen a corrupted Skritt, and it has been implied they are somehow resistant to dragon corruption. I guess when everything else has been wiped from Tyria, the only things left will be roaches and rats (Skritt)...

Some ED's like to corrupt, some like to create. We don't know if it's determined by preference or power limits. The presence of dwarves using Primordius' power to get corrupted may indicate that the ED has the free option but prefers not to, or it may indicate that it needs an extra factor to be able to do it. Or, some combination of being able to but it not being as easy.

@Jimbru.6014 said:Oh, and one particular point about other races being corrupted: while most races can be corrupted -- even noble, friendly races like Kodan and quaggans -- we have never seen a corrupted Skritt, and it has been implied they are somehow resistant to dragon corruption. I guess when everything else has been wiped from Tyria, the only things left will be roaches and rats (Skritt)...I don't think we've seen a corrupted Ettin or Centaur either.Unless Undead Abominations were Ettins once.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Jimbru.6014 said:Oh, and one particular point about other races being corrupted: while most races can be corrupted -- even noble, friendly races like Kodan and quaggans -- we have never seen a corrupted Skritt, and it has been implied they are somehow resistant to dragon corruption. I guess when everything else has been wiped from Tyria, the only things left will be roaches and rats (Skritt)...I don't think we've seen a corrupted Ettin or Centaur either.Unless Undead Abominations were Ettins once.

Could be that those races were either absent from corrupted areas, or their numbers weren't significant in those areas.

@"Poormany.4507" said:We haven't seen much, if any, of Primordus actually corrupting any living thing, as much as making destroyers straight out of lava modeled based on living things. The Stone Summit we saw in the strike mission seemingly did a ritual to try to prevent them from undergoing the change to stone that all dwarves underwent, that apparently went wrong and they got corrupted that way. There hasn't been any indication that Primordus seeks to corrupt living things, rather than just destroy them entirely, but maybe we'll see more on Primordus later.

The Destroyer Queen in the Personal Story is implied - albeit not confirmed - to be a corrupted living organism since it lays eggs and that is also a unique trait

As for the OP's question, there is no reason to suggest there aren't, beyond the point that Primordus simply seems to prefer just making his own. I guess if needed more intelligent "lieutenants, a corrupted racial subject could be an option

Primordus can corrupt living beings, like the implication of its magic corrupting the Volcanic Fractal grawl shaman, but it primarily only corrupts rocks and lava into destroyers as mockeries of living beings. The stoned Stone Summit imbuing themselves with Primordus' magic is a bit of a unique situation (much like aforementioned grawl shaman who imbued itself with the power as well), so it is very unlikely we'll see living beings corrupted into destroyers.

P.S. the Destroyer Queen isn't confirmed in any way to be a corrupted living being. While that is initially implied by the mentor, if they were correct then the destroyer eggs would thus only result in destroyer crablings (maybe destroyer crabs), much like how branded devourer eggs/nests only spawn branded devourers, and how risen drake eggs only spawn risen drakes or risen spider eggs only spawn risen spiders. But in the instances we see the destroyer eggs result in creating trolls and harpies too.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Jimbru.6014" said:Oh, and one particular point about other races being corrupted: while most races can be corrupted -- even noble, friendly races like Kodan and quaggans -- we have never seen a corrupted Skritt, and it has been implied they are somehow resistant to dragon corruption. I guess when everything else has been wiped from Tyria, the only things left will be roaches and rats (Skritt)...I don't think we've seen a corrupted Ettin or Centaur either.Unless Undead Abominations were Ettins once.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Veteran_Death-Branded_Centaur

I just wonder, sure you can just wipe a civilization for fun, because you just want to annihilate anything; but it's just a little stupid if you can use them and their culture/technologies to destroy the rest of the world faster. Icebrood could transit in charr tanks; primordysura could trap others through communicators and emitting signal for somewhere that should have fallen long ago. I did saw some intelligence in the personal story with zhaithan like using illusions turning a dead place into a party, making you kill your soldiers; even recently Jormag spoke through the body of fraenir/Almorra. I kinda wonder if when corrupted if the victims simply lose intelligence? Zhaithan corrupted ton and ton of pact soldier, and permit them, nobody knew how to make a lightning cannon or an airship? Joko at least was using what the races knew.I can't project myself about dwarves because I only know the LOTR ones, but I suspect that in GW2 they have their own technology and weaponry?

About creating/corrupting, I think each dragon do both. Zhaithan has risens, but also eyes or abobinations. Jormag has icebrood norns/elementals but also constructs. Kralky is essentially about corrupting, but I suppose it created the shatterer. Mordry has sylvaris but also several giant hybrids humanoids like axemasters etc...

@hugo.4705 said:I just wonder, sure you can just wipe a civilization for fun, because you just want to annihilate anything; but it's just a little stupid if you can use them and their culture/technologies to destroy the rest of the world faster. Icebrood could transit in charr tanks; primordysura could trap others through communicators and emitting signal for somewhere that should have fallen long ago. I did saw some intelligence in the personal story with zhaithan like using illusions turning a dead place into a party, making you kill your soldiers; even recently Jormag spoke through the body of fraenir/Almorra. I kinda wonder if when corrupted if the victims simply lose intelligence? Zhaithan corrupted ton and ton of pact soldier, and permit them, nobody knew how to make a lightning cannon or an airship? Joko at least was using what the races knew.I can't project myself about dwarves because I only know the LOTR ones, but I suspect that in GW2 they have their own technology and weaponry?

About creating/corrupting, I think each dragon do both. Zhaithan has risens, but also eyes or abobinations. Jormag has icebrood norns/elementals but also constructs. Kralky is essentially about corrupting, but I suppose it created the shatterer. Mordry has sylvaris but also several giant hybrids humanoids like axemasters etc...

Are the axemaster hybrids? They look like bigger badder versions of sylvari. The only real hint that Mordy may corrupt livng being (that I've seen) is the skull used in Mordrem wolf. But the are just a skull and a giant flower so may just be plants picking up discarded bones to use.

@"hugo.4705" said:I hope to see its lieutenants. We have the legendaries of draconis mons and the megadestroyer, but surely there is something bigger.

Presuming that Primordus "recycles" its draconic champions like the other EDs -- the Shatterer and Tequatl in particular -- there's more than likely another Great Destroyer out there somewhere waiting to terrorize us.

@hugo.4705 said:I kinda wonder if when corrupted if the victims simply lose intelligence? Zhaithan corrupted ton and ton of pact soldier, and permit them, nobody knew how to make a lightning cannon or an airship? Joko at least was using what the races knew.It was established that "Elder Dragons know what their minions know", but unless they're given enough magic, most minions are nigh mindless directly. The risen and icebrood are likely the most intelligent among the "cannon fodder" (Mordrem Guard being an exception because they're not technically corrupted - in the same way that is). But even if the Elder Dragons would know the technicalities of making cannons, there's the matter of a) why bother when it can just grant more magic to its minions to make them stronger and a magical advantage over any foe, and b) non-lieutenants would be too dumb to make cannons for the Elder Dragon.

@hugo.4705 said:About creating/corrupting, I think each dragon do both. Zhaithan has risens, but also eyes or abobinations. Jormag has icebrood norns/elementals but also constructs. Kralky is essentially about corrupting, but I suppose it created the shatterer. Mordry has sylvaris but also several giant hybrids humanoids like axemasters etc...

Every Elder Dragon is capable of corrupting all physical matter (elements (air, land, water) and flesh (animal and plant)), but not all are capable of creating minions out of it.

Interestingly, while Kralkatorrik, Primordus, and Jormag are shown creating minions via corrupting both elements and flesh (though in different ratios), Zhaitan and Mordremoth only ever create minions by corrupting flesh. The DSD, so far, is only known to create minions by corrupting water.

Eyes of Zhaitan and Risen Abominations aren't constructs - the Eyes are kings and queens of Orr which hold a literal eye from Zhaitan; while Abominations are multiple corpses stitched together (basically a Frankenstein's monster). Mordremoth doesn't have any hybrids, btw; the three Mordrem Commanders are just heavily twisted sylvari - closest alternative would be Faolain but how her appearance changed is never really explained, but is probably a process similar to Risen Abominations and Knights if I had to hazard a guess.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Eyes of Zhaitan and Risen Abominations aren't constructs - the Eyes are kings and queens of Orr which hold a literal eye from Zhaitan; while Abominations are multiple corpses stitched together (basically a Frankenstein's monster). Mordremoth doesn't have any hybrids, btw; the three Mordrem Commanders are just heavily twisted sylvari - closest alternative would be Faolain but how her appearance changed is never really explained, but is probably a process similar to Risen Abominations and Knights if I had to hazard a guess.

Oh that's interesting, I always thought that the mordrem commanders are sylvaris mixed with animal fleshes and some bones to make the thing walk, some commanders really have a kind of gore appearance like they are made of blood or muscles; especially Diarmid as example. It really makes me feel like they are like risen abominations, corpses put together. I see red parts as fleshes from other living beings. Or created in those incubation pods.

@hugo.4705 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Eyes of Zhaitan and Risen Abominations aren't constructs - the Eyes are kings and queens of Orr which hold a literal eye from Zhaitan; while Abominations are multiple corpses stitched together (basically a Frankenstein's monster). Mordremoth doesn't have any hybrids, btw; the three Mordrem Commanders are just heavily twisted sylvari - closest alternative would be Faolain but how her appearance changed is never really explained, but is probably a process similar to Risen Abominations and Knights if I had to hazard a guess.

Oh that's interesting, I always thought that the mordrem commanders are sylvaris mixed with animal fleshes and some bones to make the thing walk, some commanders really have a kind of gore appearance like they are made of blood or muscles; especially Diarmid as example. It really makes me feel like they are like risen abominations, corpses put together. I see red parts as fleshes from other living beings. Or created in those incubation pods.

They're constantly (re)born from the Blighting Towers, which only produce plant-based minions. So that doesn't seem likely.

Mordremoth's corruption of minions take two known forms:

1. Using local plants as a raw material to twist into minions (e.g., standard minions). Similar to destroyers.
  2. Corrupting animals which slowly turn from animal flesh to plant flesh (e.g., Mordrem Trolls and Wolves). Similar to branded and icebrood.And then there's the Mordrem Guard which are just sylvari who have morphed a bit using their personal ability to change appearance upon dramatic psychological changes (as seen with Ceara, Caithe, Canach, and Malomedies).

Faolain and the three Commanders are definitely bizarre, but by all indication, purely plant-based.