Battle Scars do not belong in Devastation Traitline.

Yasai.3549

Devastation Traitline after the rework has reinforced it as the dedicated "Direct damage" traitline.

Yet we have 3 sustain related traits shoehorned into it, taking up traitslots which could have more damage options.2 of the 3 traits are basically useless when the 3rd is picked as well. (Battle Scarred and Thrill of Combat are extremely weak in the face of Thrill of Battle + Sword autos)

I think we should have Battle Scars removed from Devastation traitline.Move Battle Scars to Impossible Odds instead, beef up the damage a little, and make the 2nd hit the Siphon effect with no ICD.This will be more than enough to make Impossible Odds pretty good for both PvP and PvE (That is of course, there is no Game mode split)

Devastation deserves better offensive traits than 3 sustain heavy ones.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Nephalem.8921 said:pls no. This would kill impossible odds in pve. Lifesteal doesn't crit. Just look at necro wh5 and how useless that is now.

I meant to move the Siphon portion to Impossible Odds.So Impossible Odds will now do their original damage + the Battle Scars Siphon.

They can make Upkeep + 1 for PvE if they want but the Upkeep for PvP is already ridiculous.

Hard disagree. Devastation has always been the "direct damage" traitline. However, like almost every traitline in the game it has multiple options and themes that live within it. Life Siphon has always been present in Devastation since day 1 and doesn't need to be removed. In fact, I'm happy they expanded on it as one of the core themes of the line.

Also if you add more traits that just "provide damage bonuses" then the entire line becomes redundant because it becomes all about picking whatever the best damage option is. This is even more true for PvE than PvP since most good PvE builds are "max damage" focused. This is why Swift Termination got dropped for Dance of Death simply because it doesn't provide enough damage. That's another thing as well; not sure why you're complaining about Battle Scars when it does "provide more damage options" that you say you want. Not to mention even if they reworked the tier 1 and 2 battle scars traits they likely wouldn't be better than the already existing damage options in those tiers, since Unsuspecting Strikes, Notoriety, and Assassin's Presence provide strong damage boosts already.

Also Impossible Odds is fine in both PvE and PvP. It's already strong in both when used properly

I think Battle Scars have a place in the Devastation.

We can have a Trait that enhances Impossible Odds with Battle Scars effect. This way, there is a clear choice between sustain and damage.

Or, make Battle Scars baseline for Devastation, so when you Trait Devastation, the Impossible Odds are always enhanced. This promotes taking Devastation when playing Shiro.

Dance of death is ok imo in devastation. Could be reworked a bit, since it improves damage almost as much as Swift termination,which is for dmg only.Thrill of Combat could use an slight buff. Battle scarred should be removed completely. This is complete garbage.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:I think Battle Scars have a place in the Devastation.

We can have a Trait that enhances Impossible Odds with Battle Scars effect. This way, there is a clear choice between sustain and damage.

Or, make Battle Scars baseline for Devastation, so when you Trait Devastation, the Impossible Odds are always enhanced. This promotes taking Devastation when playing Shiro.

Yea this sounds like a great idea.Just like how Corruption gets Invoke Torment.

Problem is that it's too Shiro-centric at that point.

I just don't like that Anet decided to shove Sustain into the traitline to justify the existence of Shiro's GW siphon mechanics, instead of simply adding this to Impossible Odds for Shiro.

Traitline has sustain in it?Yea sure, it's pretty nice if it didn't take so many trait slots to fulfill the idea of simply having Siphon on attacks.Focused Siphoning was a baseline Siphon in the past which simply Siphoned on a target with Vuln, but they kinda just took that, beefed it up by combining Assassin's Annihilation, and divided it into 3 traits and spread it around.

No trait line is made to be exclusively associated to its corresponding legend. Because it would artificially prevent build diversity.No trait line has a row of talents competing for the exact same goal. Because people would just use the "mathematically best".That's why Devastation traits are not tied to Impossible Odds but favoring vulnerability, dual wielding, quickness, might, and direct damage.Things you'll have available when playing dual swords + Shiro Tagashi, but not exclusively.

I think what should be done is make Battle Scars a Minor where if the Rev has Quickness, they get Siphon.

Devastation without Shiro does have Brutality for Quickness to use this to full effect without forcing Devastation to be a Shiro only Traitline.

They can then add more Quickness traits to replace Battle Scarred and Thrill of Combat. (Eg. when attacking a target above X Vuln stacks, gain Quickness for X seconds)

PS. put Quickness back on Impossible Odds plox.

@Yasai.3549 said:I think what should be done is make Battle Scars a Minor where if the Rev has Quickness, they get Siphon.

Devastation without Shiro does have Brutality for Quickness to use this to full effect without forcing Devastation to be a Shiro only Traitline.

They can then add more Quickness traits to replace Battle Scarred and Thrill of Combat. (Eg. when attacking a target above X Vuln stacks, gain Quickness for X seconds)

PS. put Quickness back on Impossible Odds plox.

There are already purely power damage trait you can pick on each tiers.Unsuspecting Strikes, Notoriety / Assassin's Presence, and Swift Termination.The minors are already all helping with power damage too.Sustain is not something that should be removed from Devastation to put even more power damage traits.

@Virdo.1540 said:Dance of death is ok imo in devastation. Could be reworked a bit, since it improves damage almost as much as Swift termination,which is for dmg only.Thrill of Combat could use an slight buff. Battle scarred should be removed completely. This is complete garbage.

Actually it does quite a lot more damage than the 20% mod if the fight is long enough or very short. tested it in fractals and dod wins over the other trait almost always. exceptions are ensyloss, siax and every boss with very high exposed uptime below 50% or other mods.Such a shame that it only shows in self stats. makes comparing quite hard without logs.

@"Kulvar.1239" said:No trait line is made to be exclusively associated to its corresponding legend. Because it would artificially prevent build diversity.No trait line has a row of talents competing for the exact same goal. Because people would just use the "mathematically best".That's why Devastation traits are not tied to Impossible Odds but favoring vulnerability, dual wielding, quickness, might, and direct damage.Things you'll have available when playing dual swords + Shiro Tagashi, but not exclusively.

Pretty much this. Generally speaking, the traitlines have the most synergy with the associated legend, but this isn't intended to be a hard-and-fast rule. Glint/Jalis with Devastation instead of Retribution used to be fairly popular in PvE thanks to the synergy between Assassin's Annihilation and Vengeful Hammers, for instance.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@"InsaneQR.7412" said:I am actually quite happy with the lufe siphon. It's great for mobbing and one of my favorite parts of my eternal fortress herald.

Just curious, what's build are you referring to ?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?Pm1AYxzldQKMHyi1QXsHCj9RisAqgl+1f7H-zRIYRUzXGFWBhmCOPA-eBasically this.The goal is to stack upkeeps to heal yourself constantly, get boons galore, and deal continues damage.

you can catch up quite quickly to enemies and you stack damage mitigation and apply weakness.

Keep F2 always active and as soon as you enter dwarve activate the hammers for damage.

When you enter glint keep the utility upkeeps active. If you are low on health double tap glint heal.

Use Utilities as appropriate (stunbreak or vuln).

Damage is high due to gear and survivability is great due to traits.

Have fun playing.

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:I'd be fine with it if it was decent in PvP modes. Those 3 traits are total garbage compared to what Assassins Annihilation was.

As mentioned above : Thrill of Battle and Battle Scarred are straight up garbage and borderline redundant when one picks Dance of Death, and this is even in a PvE setting.

These two traits need to be reworked or replaced, and maybe we can have some sort of pick diversity for Devastation.

The adept majors are all terrible now with the first one being the least pointless. The new Devastation is a straight downgrade in most cases to what it was for PvP, and a missed opportunity for the traits I had hope for. The three bottom traits don't exist unless I'm doing fights in guild halls where they scale well.

Well if were talking about traits that would be better in other lines i think you could as well take assasin presence from devastation and put it into invocation changed so it gives a differrnt buff in each legend , after all more than a dmg trait is a group suport buff and that would let us free to take notoriety and thus increase our overall dmg wich to tell the truth needs a little buff

Also i think battle scars traits are suposed to be like kind of dueling traits to help surviving on 1vs1 or 1vs group , i dont realy mind those traits being there.In fact i think both herald and renegade need much more the changes than the core lines.

@"zaswer.5246" said:Well if were talking about traits that would be better in other lines i think you could as well take assasin presence from devastation and put it into invocation changed so it gives a differrnt buff in each legend , after all more than a dmg trait is a group suport buff and that would let us free to take notoriety and thus increase our overall dmg wich to tell the truth needs a little buff

People have mentioned before that they should push all Critical related traits into Invocation.

Replace Spirit Boon for all I care, that trait should have been a core Minor, and I will gladly have Spirit Boon replace Contained Temper.

And I disgree about having "dueling" skills on Devastation.It gives Devastation a sort of bloat when it comes to trait choices and this bloat is currently what is going on with the 3 Battle Scars traits.Battle scars should have been either a Minor with at most 2 traits to boost it, or 1 really good trait, like Dance of Death but slightly stronger.

What we have now is unacceptable because the adept and master Battle Scar traits are so bad that they are basically dead trait slots, and we have one pretty decent GM trait, and no innate Siphon like the previous version of Devastation.