Insanely high ping. Why is it so laggy?

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862998-Troubleshooting-Connectivity-Issues

I've no clue where you are and which internet provider you have, how many clients does it have, if it is well know to "oversell" it's lines such that you have problems when your providers lines are over-used..My Ping is most of the time around 40ms, and I am playing gw2, so it's not the game ;)

And the ping depends on 2 things:

• how long is the route. (what's the phyical time to transmit through the cables)
  • how long do your packets sit in network-computer queues when switching cables. (this depends on how much capacity your provider has vs how much he sold)

And the route you get depend on:

• where are you
  • where is the game-server
  • and unfortunately also: network-politics, due to cost/provider-alliance reasons, you are rarely allowed to use the shortest connection, but you get the cheapest connection, and sometimes the cheapest take much longer. :(

@"Realight.3507" said:then by your logic several hundred people playing the same game all over the country are having problems with their ISP? <.<EDIT: Also I have no lag in FFXIV or Skyforge, how do you explain that. that Its GW2 the only game where I have this insane lag.

Comparisons are useless unless you know the routes involved.

Anecdotes are equally useless.

If you are only posting to vent then fine whatever but if you actually want to know what the problem is then you need to gather actual data.

http://pingplotter.com/ is great for that and you only need the free edition. You can get the IP to trace using the /ip command in game. Just leave off the :0 from the endCoincidentally my ping is awful right now bouncing between 500 to over 2600 and the graph looks like9EhO85X.png

@Realight.3507 said:then by your logic several hundred people playing the same game all over the country are having problems with their ISP? <.<EDIT: Also I have no lag in FFXIV or Skyforge, how do you explain that. that Its GW2 the only game where I have this insane lag.

I noticed gw2 connectivity was pretty bad since friday too--I just assumed salty bois were ddos'ing them into oblivion.

• 7 months later...

@prom.4653 said:some time i got 2000+ ping when hunt world boss haha

I got 4000+ during world boss, or map meta event.max record is 4697 ...funny thing is, the ping will goes down (just goes down ... not goes to normal ...) to around 350 ~ 500 after the boss/event completedp.s. my normal ping is 230~280