Vote your favourite all-round WvW class that can do both, zerg + roaming

enkidu.5937

@Len.1879 said:

@Len.1879 said:Guardian is currently great in both roaming when utilising burning and you are a valuable and often rare asset to zergs as full support.

Id love to see a "great" solo roaming build for guardian please.

I mean... that is not really the scope of this thread, but I run [&DQEqHxAbLhkmDyYPBAF4AUgBSAFMAQQBNwE3AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=] with a Dire and Trailblazer mix and Balthasar runes, Sc/T + GS, for both solo and small scale roaming. If you need help with your build or have any questions regarding it, feel free to PM me.

Balthasar approves ^^

atm I tend more to swap radiance -> DH for more blocks -> cleanses and cripple as an additional cover boon . . . current burn guard specs atm give lots of space for individual playstile adjustments, #feelsRPGman :3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warrior wins by a landslide, with honorable mention going to Ele and Engi.

Warrior brings burst, support, and mobility into a single package. These help at fights any scale. They can also specialize in a role which many classes cannot just by switching utilities around. A Warrior always brings high impact abilities such as boonstrip that can singlehandedly change the outcome of any battle.

Unlike the wimpy and limp wristed necro, the warrior does not need to be babied. The warrior brings their own stability and does not blame their support for being potatoes. Only a weak person cries for stability. A warrior can easily run to a keep to fetch supply. If you ask the necro to do the same thing, they'll probably have passed out because they don't excercise.

While the obese Guardian may match the Warrior in brute strength and can sometimes destroy whole zergs with the fumes from their flatulence, the warrior is by and far the superior roamer because of its mobility. In the time it takes the Guardian to run a mile, the Warrior has already made it to the bar and picking up suitable partners for tonight.

The mighty ranger also rivals the warrior in roaming and even runs faster, however the ranger fares poorly in groups because merging with pets makes one smelly and possibly contributes to various pandemics. Thanks to abilities such as "shake it off", Warriors are top in hygiene.

The thief is also a strong roamer, and also partially competent in zergs thanks to a Pogo stick. But come on, that's gotta earn minus points from style. It's also scientifically proven that medium classes lose at fashion wars already, so! (That is why most thieves hide themselves; they don't want people to see what they're wearing)

The Revenant is admittingly a strong competitor. However, with his hammer now a piece of useless plastic, he must rely on a single gimmick.

The Ele and Engineer are the only true rivals of the Warrior, also being able to bring support, damage, and mobility as well in a single package. But of course, they can't even weapon swap in combat, meaning they probably don't even lift. And who wants to roam with that? Meanwhile, the warrior can switch weapons nearly twice as fast!

I think I forgot a class, but Anet probably deleted them or something.

@"ArchonWing.9480" said:the ranger fares poorly in groups because merging with pets makes one smelly and possibly contributes to various pandemics.[...]It's also scientifically proven that medium classes lose at fashion wars already, so! (That is why most thieves hide themselves; they don't want people to see what they're wearing)[...]warrior does not need to be babied.[...]Thanks to abilities such as "shake it off", Warriors are top in hygiene.[...]Warrior in brute strength and can sometimes destroy whole zergs with the fumes from their flatulenceawesome write-up ^^ can I buy two?

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:The fact that ranger is even on the list brought tears to my eye.

Good one.

I see you have a long way to go to learn the way of the ranger.Melee Soulbeast is absolutely brutal in zergs.

I am well known for my bias for rangers. I’ve played ranger almost since the beginning of this game. It’s not as brutal as it used to be in group fighting. The nerfs have hurt it. I have switched to my burn guard as my main group/roaming class. I eat rangers for dinner after roasting them to death these days.

I agree some damage was removed, but recently WD got a target increase from 3 to 5, which means instead of 3 people dropping it's now 5.Burn guard is no issue for me, they melt before they do any serious damage.

@Dayra.7405 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:The fact that ranger is even on the list brought tears to my eye.

Good one.

i always wonder, if i get 50 rangers who know how to play together how hard i will wreck tru a massive zone blob.all these arrows flying in from all sides cus u dont need stack just massive cloud wrecking zone blob in no time im pretty sure every commander will switch map vs this.

You forgot the missle reflection/denial/...

i think you forget how hard a ranger can hit with melee :P

I've only really tried Necro, Elementalist, Ranger and Theif.Personally I enjoy the playstyle of Ranger the most, My favourite combat style is ranged attacks and Support so switching between Druid and Soulbeast is fun to me. I'm not saying it's the best but it's the one I've been having the most fun on for sure.

Firebrand is always good in blobbing. You can also go burnbuilds.

Roaming you can oneshot catas, and weaker zergs, with burnbuilds or run good old power DH that has great cleanse to match any condiboys and reveal to match stealthboys.

Btw I think spellbreaker is the strongest spec for groups right now but think warrior in general lacks some oomph for roaming while getting countered by the massive amount of thieves right now.

Thief main so that's going to be the favourite!That said, I end up hardly using it for zerging (which I already hardly do) but for those situations I tend to prefer (or am requested to) play Guard/Rev.I generally feel like Engi, Rev and Guard got the best options to perform top notch for both scenarios.

If you're allowed to utilize multiple builds on the same profession, Mesmer. If you took the utility they provide to large groups and the nigh unkillable nature of the roamer variants you'd have the best profession for not having to swap toons depending on the scenario. They're only 4-5th best for zerging, but I'd place them in the top 3 (IMO #1) for roaming.That said, I bet if whomever used to post those off-site polls where you could vote up and down certain professions, necro wouldn't finish last in the roaming scene as they have in the past. They've been hit the least in recent patches so far as I can tell.

~ Kovu

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:The fact that ranger is even on the list brought tears to my eye.

Good one.

Actually I've seen a few top GvG guilds using rangers recently in their 15-20 men comps for GvGs.Elite Archaelogists (eA) definitely used them and I think Dead didn't even dodge (DED)?Not sure what their build is but they have been using the ranger's immobilize roots to seperate and focus bomb targets.I assume they can also be employed at blob level.

Entangle + ancient seeds is quite powerful but it requires coordination from the rest of your group to provide cover condis and corrupts. But usually I think aftershock eles contribute more, especially if your group is caught at a disadvantage in which case the druids contribute nothing.

In disorganized groups, especially for squads that won't even take you anyways, I would say don't. But in case you're on a ranger and must fight a blob, it's easier to simply run stance share to boost the damage of people nearby.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAENlRwCZasHmJe0X/PzBkA-zRJYiRF/R0rCQjDA-e

You can share One Wolf Pack that is a big damage boost to whatever people you have nearby.

Dolyak Stance is AOE stab that makes you and 4 other people invul to immob which counters that immob spam entirely and cannot be corrupted/stripped.

You have another stunbreak that breaks people out of stuns.

You take less damage from condis on dodge rolls, more or less and Bear Stance renders condis null.

I'm actually too lazy to change anything so there are better weapons to use. Some people think pew pew'ing away at the zerg from a distance does things, which can work but most of the time they just get picked up. I often just run in the zerg. Obviously if you just mindlessly fire off into the front you'll just get reflected on so instead you shoot at the tail where most of your zerg's focus is going anyways. You won't get most boons and heals, but you don't need them either. Gear, etc hardly matters really.

Also, don't bother memeing with nature magic, because you are giving people boons they have already; you just need to give them your unique class specific buffs. Otherwise, just bring a firebrand.

Yes I know "hurf durf thAT wONT wORK oN a rEAL bLOB" but I have my meta classes to go to as well if it's really worth the effort to swap.

@hobotnicax.7918 said:

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

Good one.

I see you have a long way to go to learn the way of the ranger.Melee Soulbeast is absolutely brutal in zergs.

I am well known for my bias for rangers. I’ve played ranger almost since the beginning of this game. It’s not as brutal as it used to be in group fighting. The nerfs have hurt it. I have switched to my burn guard as my main group/roaming class. I eat rangers for dinner after roasting them to death these days.

I agree some damage was removed, but recently WD got a target increase from 3 to 5, which means instead of 3 people dropping it's now 5.Burn guard is no issue for me, they melt before they do any serious damage.

Do you run GS/sword/axe Soulbeast in zergs? What stats? I was thinking running some stance sharing, shouldn't be too bad.

@MysteryDude.1572 said:zerg rangers ahahahahhaseriously i tried that , its useless af , spare the traited bear stance for cleanse and dolly stanceany boon u give gets corrupted , pew pew falls right on the aegis , axe 5 is stationarry thus situationalzergs needs proper classesa ranger main :)

You're doing it wrong then I'm afraid.Try axe axe + GS with Hyena. In a full 50 man squad consistently in the top 10 of damage.

@hobotnicax.7918 said:

@MysteryDude.1572 said:zerg rangers ahahahahhaseriously i tried that , its useless af , spare the traited bear stance for cleanse and dolly stanceany boon u give gets corrupted , pew pew falls right on the aegis , axe 5 is stationarry thus situationalzergs needs proper classesa ranger main :)

You're doing it wrong then I'm afraid.Try axe axe + GS with Hyena. In a full 50 man squad consistently in the top 10 of damage.

That looks really good tbh. Hyena gives a ton of CC and boon duration. What stats do you use? I wanna start grinding ascended pieces.

I'm actually really surprised more people don't know about Soulbeast zerg builds. I had one worked out just when PoF came out before I left, just never got to gear up for it. Stances and damage looked really strong.

@mistsim.2748 said:

@"MysteryDude.1572" said:zerg rangers ahahahahhaseriously i tried that , its useless af , spare the traited bear stance for cleanse and dolly stanceany boon u give gets corrupted , pew pew falls right on the aegis , axe 5 is stationarry thus situationalzergs needs proper classesa ranger main :)

That looks really good tbh. Hyena gives a ton of CC and boon duration. What stats do you use? I wanna start grinding ascended pieces.

I'm actually really surprised more people don't know about Soulbeast zerg builds. I had one worked out just when PoF came out before I left, just never got to gear up for it. Stances and damage looked really strong.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAceFlRw8YPMNGKeSX/PzTE58WB-zVRYVhUDTM6oqOPlmECdKC6VC0tCQjziqnRA-w

Enjoy it ;)

@hobotnicax.7918 said:

@"MysteryDude.1572" said:zerg rangers ahahahahhaseriously i tried that , its useless af , spare the traited bear stance for cleanse and dolly stanceany boon u give gets corrupted , pew pew falls right on the aegis , axe 5 is stationarry thus situationalzergs needs proper classesa ranger main :)

Enjoy it ;)

Thats an excellent stat distribution actually. Can slap on a longbow on that and do some roaming too.

We just cracked the 100 votes mark!:o

Guard 25%Rev 15%Warrior 14%Engi + Necro 10%Thief 9%Ele 7%Ranger 6%Mesmer 4%

So, no matter what build you pick, always keep warm guys and girls if you go out there ^^ As Benjin Stark told some PvE guy: “Half of the boys you’ve seen training will die north of the wall, might be a wildlings axe, might be sickness, might just be the cold. They die in pain, and they do it, so plump little lords like you can enjoy their summer afternoons in peace and comfort.”B)

• 1 month later...

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Good one.

Video and build?

Im willing to change my mind. Im always for more diversity but nobody could proof me wrong so far.

I happened to see a really good melee soulbeast video so thought I would share.It was fights between RQM and many other top guilds.

Ive watched RQM fight quite often recently and I think they’re easily the current top 3 GvG guilds in NA, comparable to champions Wavy.

I’m not sure if it only works at GvG size fights or if it can work at Zerg scale too though.