A well balanced class

Hey all

I am still new to the game, and have been trying out a few classes to see what I enjoy playing. I have come to realize that what I am experience while leveling will not necessarily be a good reflection of what I am going to experience at level 80 with the specializations (Guardian: Dragon Hunter being a prime example).

So I thought I would ask you veterans: What in your opinion is the most well rounded/balanced class out there?

My main interests would be solo world/story, WvW and maybe the occasional pve. It does not matter if a class is too complex or not newbie friendly. The leveling process does not seem to be a reflection of the class at 80, and I reckon by leveling a complex class I would at least gain a good general understanding by the time I am 80 and unlocking the specializations.

@"Local is Lekker.2970" said:Hey all

I am still new to the game, and have been trying out a few classes to see what I enjoy playing. I have come to realize that what I am experience while leveling will not necessarily be a good reflection of what I am going to experience at level 80 with the specializations (Guardian: Dragon Hunter being a prime example).

So I thought I would ask you veterans: What in your opinion is the most well rounded/balanced class out there?

My main interests would be solo world/story, WvW and maybe the occasional pve. It does not matter if a class is too complex or not newbie friendly. The leveling process does not seem to be a reflection of the class at 80, and I reckon by leveling a complex class I would at least gain a good general understanding by the time I am 80 and unlocking the specializations.

Weapon, trait, and utility choices (among other things!) may alter the gameplay of any class dramatically, so it's difficult to make any sort of universal claims about a class. The truth is any class may be tanky or not, ranged or melee (or both!), high-damage or not, and most are even capable of healing/support to some degree. In particular for the mostly casual content you're interested in, you have a lot of freedom to build to your own concept of perfection.

For balance, I suggest condition damage. The drawback of this type of build is that it requires some time to ramp up. However, because condition damage is effective on its own (as opposed to power, which requires precision and ferocity to be effective), you are able to take more passive defense, so as better to survive that ramp-up period. The result is a build that is weaker on burst damage, but strong on sustained damage and much tankier than most power builds. I'm not sure if that sounds well-balanced to you?

In any event, I doubt anyone can tell you what is right for you. As I said, you have a lot of freedom here. Open world/story are very much "do whatever feels right" type of gameplay and WvW can be, although being competitive there is definitely a price to be paid for using a janky build! But here's my current favorite of the moment (Weaver - elementalist PoF elite specialization) up against a champion and legendary boss in open world. I use a very similar setup for unranked PvP, WvW roaming, open world/story, and even fractals. So "well-balanced", possibly? Check it out!