Should we Quest to Unlock Elite Specializations?

Lily.1935

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:@Lily.1935 My only disagreement with anything in your above post is that I would give the player the CHOICE to unlock an already completed path on an alt ... some people would want to do it again.

The best MMO's I've played give players choices ... and lots of them. Of course, that's more work, so it's up to Anet to decide what choices are value add to a customer and support the game properly. I think one of the places GW2 falls flat is that Anet doesn't create content you can purchase in the Gemstore. Sure, I can buy a chair ... and I guess I can look cool in it ... or I can buy a side story linked to my character that gives me more context to things ... things like espec, mounts, more background into lore history, etc ... there should be nothing holding Anet back from selling us content like this except their resources or imagination.

I'm not a fan of locking content behind a second pay wall when the expansion already is a pay wall.

Maybe ... but there wouldn't be anything unreasonable about doing so. I mean, let me put it this way ... either way, you pay through a 'second paywall' (which is a little unreasonable to call it that since you wouldn't actually pay for that content twice to begin with) or you just pay
more
in an expansion that has that option included.

Here is the kicker. If it's optional content, it would be unfair to make people pay as part of an expansion who doesn't want that option. Frankly, I think you need to be much more flexible in your thinking if you want to be taken seriously. Content MUST be paid for because it takes Anet time and resources to make it. If that content is offered in a way that people MUST buy it, it's a no go, especially if some people don't want the content. That's when people leave.

We aren't talking about a skin or a convenience item. We're talking about a predatory system now. I can't agree with that and it's not about flexibility, its paying twice for content in the game.

But you aren't paying twice because the espec quests under this scheme wouldn't be included in an expansion; they would be optional, purchasable DLC.

Anyways, it clear to me you want more content related to especs and I think it's a good idea ... but for some reason you aren't open to it being optional. That's a no-go from my perspective because regardless of how it's offered, customers WILL be made to pay for the addition of quests to earn an espec. The question isn't ever about IF new content can be offered for various things; Anet can program and offer whatever new content they want. The question is
how
it's offered within the business model. The bottomline is that any sort of 'espec quests' ARE additional content above what we have traditionally seen for espec releases ... so customers WILL pay for it, regardless if it's offered optionally as DLC or included in an expansion whether people like it or not.

I did give an alternative I'd be okay with. It wasn't a response to you though. So if you scroll up you should see it. I'm not a fan of gating content like that and its something arena net tries to avoid doing as well. Read my response to firebeard. It covers the alternative. I wont repeat it since its available to read that response.