Buying Gems: Unfortunately an error has occurred. Please try again later!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the issue and contacted support and they fixed it within 24 hours. I was able to buy via PayPal after getting the cryptic 'unfortunately an error has occurred' red banner at the top of the gems purchase window.

My brother in law also had the same issue, contacted support, and was fixed within 30 hours.

My wife now has the same exact issue. Opened a ticket over a week ago, and she has been told on two separate occasions in this ticket the issue was 'fixed', yet she still cannot buy gems via PayPal or credit card. We now are getting replies back from support stating the issue is on PayPal's or our bank's side, yet we have contacted both PayPal and our bank, and they show no transaction attempts from Digital River, yet GW2 support CONTINUES to say we need to work with our bank or PayPal on the 'declines'.

We have even supplied screenshots from our bank showing no declined transactions in the last 7 days, yet support obviously is not reading what we are posting, and saying Digital River says it is on our bank or PayPal's side. We've tried PayPal and two different credit cards on her account, all with the same result. I have even tried deleting the local GW2 cache folder and trying again to no avail.

We asked for our ticket to be escalated to a Manager, and even provided our phone number for them to call so we could just actually TALK and resolve this. They have ignored our request to escalate, and state they 'don't offer phone support at this time', so we have to wait 24 hours for each response to our ticket. Really sucks because a simple phone call where human beings could actually TALK would likely resolve this in moments, not days or weeks, especially considering they are not reading our replies thoroughly.

Support is responding once every 24 hours to us, but we are making zero progress with them. Now the new patch has dropped and my wife would like to buy a level 80 boost or two, but she cannot buy gems, and you cannot gift level boosts. So freaking frustrating.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Have you contacted Digital River support? If Digital River is the one holding up your purchases (which it almost always is), it would be best to work it out with them.

I have not. I didn't know that was an option. My wife's ticket is still open with GW2 support, but GW2 has never directed us to contact Digital River. GW2 support just tells us 'the payment processor says it is a problem with PayPal or our bank, not them'.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Best of luck. Some things seem to be wonky with payments all over the internet (due to the current crisis, I expect).

So, irony? Coincidence? Within an hour of contacting Digital River, we got a response to our GW2 ticket asking my wife to check again because GW2 support 'made a couple more adjustments' on their end. She was now able to buy gems!

Her issue is now resolved.

I am Getting the same error as you guys. Ive been able to buy gems on 14th of april but yesterday when i tried i got the error again.On the 14th April ive submitted a ticket and after 3-4 hours it worked .. the responce was :I'm sorry to hear that you were having trouble purchasing gems. I see that you were able to make successful gem purchases since contacting us so it appears that your purchase issue has actually been resolved.But the issue continue; but not only for me , many people have this problem.I dont have an issue with bank or anything ... i am purely unable to buy gems because GW2 doesnt accept my money.Also Question: Is there a limit of how many transaction we are limited in 24 hours ?Cheers.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Glad you contacted the source of the problem, and it worked out.

We are too. To clarify, we've not actually heard anything back from Digital River after my initial request to them, so we don't know if Digital River actually had a hand in our fix, or if we finally just got the right person at GW2 support looking at my wife's ticket.

Also getting this same error. Sucks because I've been wanting to pick up a few bundles and skins yet ArenaNet doesn't want my money. I really don't want to miss out on picking up the storm bow. Someone gift it to me and I'll send you the money D: lol