Fearless Achievement

Hi All,

I'm reaching my wits end with this achievement - has anyone done this recently that can offer any tips? All of the information I have been able to find is years old, and I have had very little luck or progress with them... And it looks like a lot of the ways people were doing it, no longer work, or require gear levels much higher than the meta reward to complete. I understand the mechanics, I just can't seem to make a reasonable dent in his hp in the tiny window you have, and the hold out until 25+ stack meathod still out damages any healing potential I seem to be able to muster....

I have tried:

My regular zerker ranger. Making sure I don't have any/minimal stacks of the dynamic damage reduction before breaking his bar. By the time I get to a second break, I already have 5+ stacks of the debuff/buff, and by a 3rd I usually have 8+. By that point, I am hardly doing any damage, and can't keep up with heals.

Tried to cobble together enough gear to do condi-ranger..... Again, completely outpaced. The videos I have watched show that health bar dropping so much faster than I can achieve...

I then went over to my Condi Necro - I'll admit, I don't know how to play him all that well, but the life drain completely healed up any damage I did to him.

So I tried my mesmer. All of the old posts mentioned that the phantasms did all the work, and you just stay out of range of mirror blade. On any attempt I did, the boss always attacked me and ignored my phantasms and clones. I tried to shake it with Mass Invisibility, Phantasmal Defender, Decoy.... Dead mesmer.

So retiliation guardian - boss is supposed to kill himself on my industrutable hide, and it is a complete faceroll.... not so much. Boss got down to maybe 80% health, stacks pushed past 25, and my health dropped like a rock.

I'm all up for a challenge - but this one has me very frustrated.

Thanks!

• Like 1

If it's the one that I'm thinking then it's because you're trying to use the various guides that have you cheese it rather than do the actual mechanics for the fight.

You break the defiance bar when it's up and then unload damage during when it's stunned. You're gaining stacks because you're still attacking it after it's no longer stunned. Condi in preferable as the ticking damage doesn't add stacks.

• Like 1

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:If it's the one that I'm thinking then it's because you're trying to use the various guides that have you cheese it rather than do the actual mechanics for the fight.

You break the defiance bar when it's up and then unload damage during when it's stunned. You're gaining stacks because you're still attacking it after it's no longer stunned. Condi in preferable as the ticking damage doesn't add stacks.

I appreciate the response, but it was not helpful.

I was trying the other guides because working "the actual mechanics" for many many many attempts was not working. I know to stop attacking to prevent stacks of the dynamic damage reduction debuff. That was not an issue. I know to unload all dps like a madman once the defiance bar is broken, (and only when the boss is stunned, to not get stacks of the dynamic damage reduction debuff). I just am not getting enough damage in during that tiny window. The stacks I am accumulating are from the ghostly hands that you cannot avoid and continue to build up automatically over time also reducing the damage the boss takes, while buffing his damage, and increasing recharge time on all my skills.

• Like 1

I haven't done it recently but will maybe give a try later.Just some things in theory.According to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defiance_barthe defiance bar should have a strenght of 600on the same site below you have a list with how much cc dmg which skill does.Going there with the highest cc to do as few hits as possible hits might be wise.

(E.g. mesmer should be able to kill the defiance bar in one hit with the elite signet according to this informations. If you can manage to unload enough condition on him while the breakbar is broken, that could be an easy way depending on how much HP it has. Remember to shatter your clones once the breakbar effect is over to not let him stack the defensive buff, (I just assume they will stack it, haven't tested, if they don't, don't shatter them), and let the condition you have stacked tick out. Probably mirage is you best bet for stacking as much condis as possible. For condition builds invest in condition duration.)

If i would have the HP of the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Manifestation_of_Self-Doubt (you can see on this site as well which skills it uses, at least for some professions) it would be easier to determine if power or condition dmg is better in general.The + for (especially long lasting) condition is that they could still tick their remaining dmg one the defiance bar is up again. You just should stop attack then to not the up the defensive buff.The + for power dmg if it is possible to kill him in one phase, is that you wouldn't need to think much about having to survive.

Edit:I just killed killed the manifestation (without removing the debuff on me)used this build and gear (some things i had left on an unused character)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAw+NlZwsYLsGmJWaX5NVA-zRhYMBB+EEhQQCmRH7MqQE0hUwkDA-e

was a walk in the park, i literally could facetank it, used 9 -> 0 -> 8 to remove the breakbar, then stacked some conditions, and let them tick, didn't attack between the breakbars

and i rarely play warrior at all

• Thanks 2

@Sqwhirll.1923 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:If it's the one that I'm thinking then it's because you're trying to use the various guides that have you cheese it rather than do the actual mechanics for the fight.

I appreciate the response, but it was not helpful.

I was trying the other guides because working "the actual mechanics" for many many many attempts was not working. I know to stop attacking to prevent stacks of the dynamic damage reduction debuff. That was not an issue. I know to unload all dps like a madman once the defiance bar is broken, (and only when the boss is stunned, to not get stacks of the dynamic damage reduction debuff). I just am not getting enough damage in during that tiny window. The stacks I am accumulating are from the ghostly hands that you cannot avoid and continue to build up automatically over time also reducing the damage the boss takes, while buffing his damage, and increasing recharge time on all my skills.

If this is the issue, you need to improve the damage you do.

Also the automatic stacks you get are hardly the reason this will fail. Here is a very lengthy video of the fight:

and the final stacks reached are barely above 10, with multiple break bar phases (5-6 total). If the stacks reach 20 for you before 5 breaks bars, you are actively hitting the enemy and giving him buff stacks. Pay closer attention to his life bar.

One of the easiest classes to finish this achievement is condition warrior, but every class can manage and wildly switching between classes which you are unfamiliar with will rarely yield positive results.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 6 months later...

In case anyone Googles for help on this achievement looking for something recent and stumbles across this thread like I did, also if OP you still haven't been able to complete it, here is how I completed it on a Mesmer that I levelled just for this stupid achievement today, not knowing how to play the class and playing mix and matched based on other threads!

Build:Illusions: 323Chaos: 232Mirage: 223

Equipment:Literally stuff I got from other achis that can go on a Mesmer, don't go out of your way to copy this on purpose, it's just for context!Armor: Exotic grieving setAccessories: Ranging from level 20 rings, random exotic accessories and grieving ascended amuletBack: Didn't even equip one...Weapon: Ascended viper scepter and exotic rampager torch

Skills:Signet of the ether, signet of illusions, signet of inspiration, call owl (didn't use this at all), signet of humility

How I did it:Waited for 25 stacks to build up.Signet of humility for CC, torch 5, torch 4, scepter 3, stop attacking. Don't need to get too close to it or it'll knockback. Wait ages for signet of humility CD, repeat. If 2/3 illusions died then I used torch 5 to create more even though humility CD wasn't done yet. Torch 5 would provide burn which ticks the HP anyway, then when humility CD was up I did torch 4, scepter 3, scepter 2, autoattack if there was more time instead.Sorry in advance I don't know the names of the skills manifest was dealing me so I'll describe them. While waiting for humility to CD, I facetanked most pink beams and dodged all the boomerang attacks. Basically whenever dodge bar had 2 dodges I'd dodge the next attack, but always dodged the boomerang ones so reserved 1 dodge for these, as they'll kill your illusions. I used signet of ether to heal if my health was below 50%. Thanks to the Mirage line, whenever you dodge you actually gain a regen boon, so even though the signet of ether CD was huge I didn't need it that much, only used it maybe 3-4 times.As each illusion spawns, move away from them or else the pink beam would kill it over time. Whenever I got up to 3 illusions I always stood behind 1 of them so that the pink beam would kill it off over time, so that the 20 stacks that made manifest invulnerable sat at around 12-16 stacks, particularly when I went to start the rotation. It also meant that another illusion would generate under the passive signet of illusions and therefore give me heal through passive signet of ether.

Hope this helps someone out there and gives hope that they can do it! :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Alright, I'm going to assume you landed here because just like me you got stuck on this achievement. 

I just completed it on a Scourge in viper gear.

I had tried for hours to play nice with the mechanic with no luck. 

The way I managed to do this achievement was just to blast everything I had on cooldown ignoring the intended mechanic of the fight. 

Maybe it helps whoever lands here through a google search. 

God Speed. 🙂

Edited by Hotwingz.1627
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Yeah... no to this Condition approach, I don't like that kind of playstyle so its not a option to me:
Anyone knows how to defeat the Manifestation using another approach? 
I barely get him to 90% before he starts leeching from me (playing a Reaper), ending up in a stuck situation since he cant kill me due to Soldier stats. All the while, those Guilty Consciousness stacks keep pilling up, to the point of having my basic attack on a 50 seconds cooldown...