I did a painting of my main: Chimie Pepin.

@hugo.4705 said:Well done. Everything looks good. Maybe upper body part too thin? Nah doesn't shock me, I just like fat charrs. Even the hairs looks nice.

Cheers.Body type he's based on is the thinnest, and because he is turning his chest to our right it looks thinner than it would if he was fully facing the camera. I'll keep an eye on that for future pieces just in case though. Might be that I'm exaggerating the turn too much.Glad you like the hairs; it took me a couple of attempts to settle on a style I was happy with. In the end I settled on trying to replicate my older acrylic paintings.

Hey, i remember you ...or better your character... from the screenshot-thread i browsed a couple of week ago. And that alone means you've done a solid job on this picture!

...so constructive criticism, hm... the only thing i'd dare to criticize is, that it feels a bit flat overall. I cannot even say for sure on why that is. It looks to me, that you are so focused on the details, that you neglect some of the more basic stuff. Like, while you make an effort to put realistic lighting and shadows everywhere, you ask to little if that particular shadow/highlight makes sense on that particular spot. For example the shadows/highlight of the face suggest that the lightsource is coming from the front/top, where those on the right upper arm and left hand suggest it's coming from the right. Do you see what i mean?

On the other hand your focus on the details is definitively where your picture shines. I mean, the ornaments on the gun ...wow! or that you can clearly distinguish the different materials of the armor.. or the hair... or even the little bullet casing jumping out of the gun, haha. And also, i think we all agree that when it comes to art, the "basic stuff" (like composition, lighting, proportions) is a huge topic, difficult to master, that comes with a lot of practice. So in that regard: Do keep your good work up! I'd love to see more!

Peace out, Charr forever!

! > @"TezPoca.7203" said:! > Hey, i remember you ...or better your character... from the screenshot-thread i browsed a couple of week ago. And that alone means you've done a solid job on this picture!! >! > ...so constructive criticism, hm... the only thing i'd dare to criticize is, that it feels a bit flat overall. I cannot even say for sure on why that is. It looks to me, that you are so focused on the details, that you neglect some of the more basic stuff. Like, while you make an effort to put realistic lighting and shadows everywhere, you ask to little if that particular shadow/highlight makes sense on that particular spot. For example the shadows/highlight of the face suggest that the lightsource is coming from the front/top, where those on the right upper arm and left hand suggest it's coming from the right. Do you see what i mean?! >! > On the other hand your focus on the details is definitively where your picture shines. I mean, the ornaments on the gun ...wow! or that you can clearly distinguish the different materials of the armor.. or the hair... or even the little bullet casing jumping out of the gun, haha. And also, i think we all agree that when it comes to art, the "basic stuff" (like composition, lighting, proportions) is a huge topic, difficult to master, that comes with a lot of practice. So in that regard: Do keep your good work up! I'd love to see more!! >! > Peace out, Charr forever!

Cheers. X3 I have admittedly used some artistic licence to make him look a bit more appealing than the in-game model. Glad he's still recognisable though.

I agree 100% that the lighting on the left side upper arm and right glove are wrong. I had intended to adjust the lighting on the upper arm but forgot. Completely missed the glove though. I definitely need to pay more attention to lighting in my future images, and I need to write more notes so I don't forget important things.

Cheers. I think the reason why the details are better than the basics may be because I used to draw firearms a lot when I was younger. The mechanics of firearms have always fascinated me, so I have more experience depicting mechanical entities than anything else. I've painted a firearm in a similar style to this before for the Design A Weapon Contest, so that definitely helped. I guess I've also had more of an eye for the little details as well. One of my favourite things to do in video games is to explore the maps and environments looking for all the small details. When I used to play Gmod my favourite maps were the ones that crammed as much detail in as possible.

Thanks for leaving this comment. It really helps a lot. =)

Charr forever! =3

• 2 weeks later...

Notes on important things, huh? Now that's ambitious^^ ...a good thing, because it'll get you better in less time. It also reminds me that i myself am a rather lazy learner. Anyhow, i'm glad if my comment was of help.Also thanks for the little insight (the "behind the scenes" if you would call it that, haha), as I'm always curious about those little stories of other artists.

Furthermore i believe we are sitting in the same boat, when it comes to details. I always say "it's the details that make a good game great". Unfortunately i don't know much about Gmod apart from its name (we are talking about Garry's mod, aren't we?). If i had to name a title it probably would be Dark Souls, where a major chunk of the story unfolds in the details. That game was a festival for me! But for me Guild Wars itself definitely has its own moments to shine. For example when i discovered the little camp of two vigil soldiers in the first half of the bjora marches map, talking about norn legends. I mean it was nothing super special, but the devs went trough the effort to voice the dialog, even if the camp was on top of a cliff, off the beaten path and likely to be missed. I was searching for some essence chest, but i found a treasure of a completely different type :')

... but i could ramble on forever, so i'm going to make a cut and repeat it: Great artwork, keep it up and i'm always happy to see more art in the "Community Creations" section :)

Adios

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...