Change Display Name?

@Hirosama Nadasaki.6792 said:I wonder why would it not be possible to just add a mask to your display name. I understand being unable to change it as it causes bugs, despite being a weird coding decision, but like Cynical said the system would use an invisible tag which, in gw2 case, is visible, so why not add a mask to it making our current display name as it is but invisible behind a new, easy-to-alter name whose only purpose is to be visible to players? It wouldn't be much different from a character name.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:I wanted to change my account name some time back. it wasn't clear to me during account creation that I couldn't change it or even what it specifically was. it would be nice if this was clarified at the time of creation.

editI didn't know for example that the account name was the handle used for forum interactions. this would be useful info at time of account creation.

@"grouchybhaal.4275" said:Wish that ingame you had the option to show character name or account name.

For the record, I'm fine with my name. I've been burned before so I try to pick something blah. I came to this thread because my son wants to change his name, but he'll be fine. Saying that, I have to agree that it's kind of ridiculous that your account is keyed into your "display name" since to me "display" means something you show, as opposed to "account" which means your account.

Also, if our accounts are truly keyed to our display names, then why do I have to log in with my email address? This implies that it's our email - which is a unique identifier - is what is really important. So which is the key? Your email, or your "display" name?

Edit: Even Minecraft now lets you change your user name. Your "display name" shouldn't feel as regrettable as a drunken tattoo, especially when we put real life money into this game, some of us a significant amount of money.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's a move I really think Anet should be capitalizing on - the ability to change the display name. My current is dissuading me from playing the game and causing me to consider restarting on a new account, no matter how long it would take. I just get really irked over it. I don't mind paying for the display name change either! But I just think its a change that needs to happen, because I know several people who made this account when they were younger and have grown weary of their name.

• 1 month later...

I dream of a display name change. I have requested several times and would love to pay for it.My display was not chosen by me it was chosen by my friend who gifted me the copy in Beta :/So I have been stuck with this forever, I don't even know my own key either because of this. I really regret it and wish they would just let me take the risk of not being able to chat instead of being stuck with this awful name.So many people mistake me just because of this it's just awful. I truly truly hate it. He gave it thinking it could be changed and stupidly enough has the exact same display name.

I've invested a lot of money in this with the expansions and what not, my game is also so old I get all the great birthday dyes. I don't want to lose that but this name makes joining a guild embarrassing.

Please Anet I would happily pay up to 70$ just to change the cursed thing.

• 10 months later...