WP talks about Cantha lore

Lurana.7506

It's been a nice and informative series so far. WP not only reads out loud the fascinating _An Empire Divided_ document (which any GW1 or GW2 fan should read if they even have an inkling of interest in Canthan lore) but also adds his commentary on top of it to give the text's references some context to ease in people who may not be that familiar with Canthan lore. :)

Some of his speculations are quite amusing and/or eye-opening to me such as him discussing the potential fate of the second emperor Yian Zho's two elder sisters in one of the videos in this series. For example, I've always interpreted the text so that Yian Zho may have gotten rid of his sisters (who curiously vanish from historical records weeks after Yian Zho's ascension to the throne in the aftermath of the rather suspicious death of the first emperor Kaineng Tah) so none could challenge his rule, but WP presents an alternate theory that perhaps the sisters left Cantha with potential like-minded followers and settled somewhere else to found a new dynasty. Both interpretations open some pretty intriguing avenues for plots if the writers decide to explore them more via in-game lore books or otherwise. Just imagine a society with Canthan roots but ruled by women descended from the two sisters rather than following patrilineal succession like the current imperial family does (where the title of "empress" has historically only been bestowed through marriage and has held little real power).

@Drizzt.1796 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:Woodenpotatoes is a false god.

Meaning he seems like a god but is surprisingly not, or that he's wrongly worshiped and praised?

There is no god but Jesus and his Father, God.

I know, hence him being a false god. I just didn't know if you meant that positively like he could be a god if there were a pantheon or if you meant he was like biblical false gods, receiving undue attention

@Fenom.9457 said:

Meaning he seems like a god but is surprisingly not, or that he's wrongly worshiped and praised?

I wouldn't say he's a false god per say as he does bring up interesting information from time to time, but I definitely do not think he is the master of lore that some folks claim he is. For example, one of the things about his conversation concerning Icebrood Saga was how he felt Bangar would be a largely sympathetic antagonist and how in his view the Charr were more bestial in nature and did not need to care for their cubs.

Both of those ideas have not...aged very well.

@Loesh.4697 said:

I wouldn't say he's a false god per say as he does bring up interesting information from time to time, but I definitely do not think he is the master of lore that some folks claim he is. For example, one of the things about his conversation concerning Icebrood Saga was how he felt Bangar would be a largely sympathetic antagonist and how in his view the Charr were more bestial in nature and did not need to care for their cubs.

Both of those ideas have not...aged very well.

To be fair that was speculation anyway. But yeah I’ve seen him get a thing or two wrong

@Drizzt.1796 said:

With me being an actual minister I would say your wrong. There are many gods and not everyone worships all of them but if God isnt your god then it doesn't make you any less of a person than anyone else.

@Silvercyclone.1462 said:

With me being an actual minister I would say your wrong. There are many gods and not everyone worships all of them but if God isnt your god then it doesn't make you any less of a person than anyone else.

Ok not to get off topic here but... you’re saying you’re a minister, a Christian one? And you believe many gods actually exist? Not what people worship, but that they’re real?

"Ok not to get off topic here..." then you go off topic.

@"Kossage.9072" said:It's been a nice and informative series so far. WP not only reads out loud the fascinating _An Empire Divided_ document (which any GW1 or GW2 fan should read if they even have an inkling of interest in Canthan lore) but also adds his commentary on top of it to give the text's references some context to ease in people who may not be that familiar with Canthan lore. :)

Some of his speculations are quite amusing and/or eye-opening to me such as him discussing the potential fate of the second emperor Yian Zho's two elder sisters in one of the videos in this series. For example, I've always interpreted the text so that Yian Zho may have gotten rid of his sisters (who curiously vanish from historical records weeks after Yian Zho's ascension to the throne in the aftermath of the rather suspicious death of the first emperor Kaineng Tah) so none could challenge his rule, but WP presents an alternate theory that perhaps the sisters left Cantha with potential like-minded followers and settled somewhere else to found a new dynasty. Both interpretations open some pretty intriguing avenues for plots if the writers decide to explore them more via in-game lore books or otherwise. Just imagine a society with Canthan roots but ruled by women descended from the two sisters rather than following patrilineal succession like the current imperial family does (where the title of "empress" has historically only been bestowed through marriage and has held little real power).

This is a cool idea. I'm excited to see what they end up doing with Cantha!

@Fenom.9457 said:Ok not to get off topic here but... you’re saying you’re a minister, a Christian one? And you believe many gods actually exist? Not what people worship, but that they’re real?

Yes, I'm an actual card holding minister. I can do funerals, weddings, last rights, exorcisms and all that jazz. I don't believe there are multiple gods myself but just saying some faiths believe there are and who are we to tell them that their faith is wrong. By the way my reply was also a joke. Us minister do have a sense of humor after all. In fact we probably know more priest jokes.

My guess would be that the main story is going to be mostly focused around the saltspray dragons somehow, and that the human empire dynamics will be more backdrop.

I have a feeling they're going to play off the contrast between Western myth (Tyria) generally considering dragons to be monsters to be slain, while Eastern myth (Cantha) often considers dragons to be benevolent.

Basically, how does the Empire of the Dragon view the Elder Dragons? As far as we know, they haven't had any direct confrontation with the Elder Dragons this cycle, (unless Bubbles has been down there causing havoc this whole time) and the human race that makes up the bulk of the population might never have.

@Perihen the Thawk.9527 said:My guess would be that the main story is going to be mostly focused around the saltspray dragons somehow, and that the human empire dynamics will be more backdrop.

I have a feeling they're going to play off the contrast between Western myth (Tyria) generally considering dragons to be monsters to be slain, while Eastern myth (Cantha) often considers dragons to be benevolent.

Basically, how does the Empire of the Dragon view the Elder Dragons? As far as we know, they haven't had any confrontation with the Elder Dragons this cycle, and the human race that makes up the bulk of the population might never have.

They are CONSIDERABLY close to Orr. Plus, since some dragons were corrupted by Vizier Khilerbron, who is CORRUPTED .

So yeah, they had no interaction with elder dragon corruption.

@Drizzt.1796 said:

@"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:My guess would be that the main story is going to be mostly focused around the saltspray dragons somehow, and that the human empire dynamics will be more backdrop.

Basically, how does the Empire of the Dragon view the Elder Dragons? As far as we know, they haven't had any confrontation with the Elder Dragons this cycle, and the human race that makes up the bulk of the population might never have.

They are
CONSIDERABLY
close to Orr. Plus, since some dragons were corrupted by Vizier Khilerbron, who is
CORRUPTED

Cantha is nowhere close to Orr. And Khilbron wasn't corrupted, he was just an undead - nor did Khilbron "corrupt dragons" - he turned some dragon corpses into undead. But Cantha was fully unaffected by Khilbron.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:My guess would be that the main story is going to be mostly focused around the saltspray dragons somehow, and that the human empire dynamics will be more backdrop.

They are
CONSIDERABLY
close to Orr. Plus, since some dragons were corrupted by Vizier Khilerbron, who is
CORRUPTED

Cantha is nowhere close to Orr. And Khilbron wasn't corrupted, he was just an undead - nor did Khilbron "corrupt dragons" - he turned some dragon
corpses
into undead. But Cantha was fully unaffected by Khilbron.

Khilbron's corpse was IN Orr.