Removing certain textures in game files?

Hi,

Could somebody help me find out how I can remove a certain in game texture by accessing the game's files?

I'd love to remove the aegis visual, so I thought you could simply go to the game files, find the file for this texture and remove it.

Am I oversimplifying this? How can this be done?

I look forward to your respones and much needed help :)

-Pfadlied

As far as I know there's no way to edit the game's files like that. Textures will be part of the DAT file, so normally you can't even access them. There is a way (called data mining) to see what's in the DAT but just doing that is technically a violation of the user agreement (part 2.f.i "Additional License Restrictions – You acknowledge You will not directly or indirectly: reverse engineer, translate, adapt, disassemble, decompile, or reduce to any human-perceivable form, any Game or parts thereof;").

But more importantly in this case my understanding from times when players have done it is that it's basically read-only access. You can see what's in the DAT file but you can't change any of it.

Finally, just a note - even in games where it is possible to delete files it's rarely as simple as just deleting ones you don't like. Doing that is likely to cause the game to crash every time it tries to load that effect and can't. Instead you'd need to find the correct file and replace it with a version which is entirely transparent, which requires appropriate editing software. (Appropriate software depends on the game in question, sometimes a decent art program like Photoshop will be enough, sometimes you'll also need something to convert it to the correct file type, which depends on how the game is made.)

@"Danikat.8537" said:As far as I know there's no way to edit the game's files like that. Textures will be part of the DAT file, so normally you can't even access them. There is a way (called data mining) to see what's in the DAT but just doing that is technically a violation of the user agreement (part 2.f.i "Additional License Restrictions – You acknowledge You will not directly or indirectly: reverse engineer, translate, adapt, disassemble, decompile, or reduce to any human-perceivable form, any Game or parts thereof;").

But more importantly in this case my understanding from times when players have done it is that it's basically read-only access. You can see what's in the DAT file but you can't change any of it.

Finally, just a note - even in games where it is possible to delete files it's rarely as simple as just deleting ones you don't like. Doing that is likely to cause the game to crash every time it tries to load that effect and can't. Instead you'd need to find the correct file and replace it with a version which is entirely transparent, which requires appropriate editing software. (Appropriate software depends on the game in question, sometimes a decent art program like Photoshop will be enough, sometimes you'll also need something to convert it to the correct file type, which depends on how the game is made.)TL;DR modifying the game data files is a bannable offense.

So it's not something I would recommend either.

@Danikat.8537 said:But more importantly in this case my understanding from times when players have done it is that it's basically read-only access. You can see what's in the DAT file but you can't change any of it.

@Dawdler.8521 said:TL;DR modifying the game data files is a bannable offense.

So it's not something I would recommend either.

When you launch the game, i think it checks that the files haven't been altered using MD5 checksums.