Xotecha and Tyria's equivalent to the Americas

Yitsul.8342

@Yitsul.8342 said:

@"Arcaniaxs.4519" said:Tyria is a continent not the planet... its also the name of gw2 world

if you're looking for the continent it's now known as "Central Tyria"

Technically no. Central Tyria refers to the explored, civilized portion of the supercontinent Tyria which consists of the Tarnished Coast, Kryta, Shiverpeak Mountains, and Ascalon (aka the core game).

The continent of Tyria is, well this giant landmass you see here.

Honestly I kind of feel like the ship has sailed on the Utopia theme. We've already had a jungle expansion, a lost underground city, a city of gold, the Asura already have mesoamerican inspired architecture, the Hylek already have mesoamerican inspired names/culture.

I know it's not as satisfying to have it all piecemeal like that, but at this point I do feel like a Utopia expansion would be retreading too much ground from HoT aesthetically.

I'd much rather have a brand new aesthetic that doesn't currently exist in either game at all if we're going to have a 4th expansion after Cantha.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 I always forget how small the explorable areas of the game are in comparison to the world map. I wish we could go to some of those far off continents! Do you have any idea if these land masses are known to the people of Tyria, or if the map is more akin to meta knowledge?

On topic of the thread though, I doubt we'll get to see the concepts of Utopia in game for the aforementioned reasons. The Exalted are described as former humans on the wiki. If anything, they would've been the focus of a utopia setting in the distant past, before they turned to Exalted. I could see us discovering a sect of those humans that fled to the mists instead of becoming exalted, which has amassed into this expansive society in the mists in present day (that, or they fled father west or north). Cool as the idea may be, I doubt we'd ever see it unless there was a strong connection to the elder dragons.

I'm both saddened and excited by Cantha for the same reason. It's a setting we've already seen, but also one that I miss. Honestly I'm eager to return there, but I'm also disillusioned we're missing out on so many other places we've never seen.

@Perihen the Thawk.9527 said:Honestly I kind of feel like the ship has sailed on the Utopia theme. We've already had a jungle expansion, a lost underground city, a city of gold, the Asura already have mesoamerican inspired architecture, the Hylek already have mesoamerican inspired names/culture.

I know it's not as satisfying to have it all piecemeal like that, but at this point I do feel like a Utopia expansion would be retreading too much ground from HoT aesthetically.

I'd much rather have a brand new aesthetic that doesn't currently exist in either game at all if we're going to have a 4th expansion after Cantha.

but we have yet to see a native american in game.

@Yitsul.8342 said:

@Perihen the Thawk.9527 said:Honestly I kind of feel like the ship has sailed on the Utopia theme. We've already had a jungle expansion, a lost underground city, a city of gold, the Asura already have mesoamerican inspired architecture, the Hylek already have mesoamerican inspired names/culture.

Norn take some influence with the nature spirit worship.

Native America can be a bit misleading when describing Utopia as most people attribute that to the Native Indians more than anything.

Utopia's design is better defined by Mesoamerica which is the word the developers specifically used as well.

This would better suit the more ancient American/Mexican cultures and architecture that were planned as inspiration for the game over more modern Native American tribes and cultures.

It was also stated by Anet developer Linsey Murdock too that Utopia would have been a region found in the mists rather than a physical region of Tyria.. so it's unlikely Gw2 will ever see a Utopia region on the world map either.

@Yitsul.8342 said:

You do know yer not going to...the Americas don't exist in Tyria, so you're only going to get derivatives like the above mentioned Asura and Hylek as well as the Norn shamanism which is derived from northern native American culture.