Condition damage technical question

On the Condition Damage page on the wiki (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition_Damage), in the first table (titled Conditions), there is a column called Breakpoint. The footnote explains that this column "The amount of Condition Damage at which one point of expertise will yield the same increase as one point of condition damage."

I do not understand that statement. What does it mean, please?

expertise increases the duration of condition while condi dmg affects the dmg of condition. so you got two graphs one for condi dmg and one for condi duration. at the breakpoint these two graphs cross and expertise is way more worth it after reaching it. Basically it is a sweet spot to maximize condi dmg. I tend to go for condi duration first then followed by condi dmg gear after. this ensures that I get maximum dmg output even tho my overall dmg will be lower if the condition get cleansed.

condi duration doesn't increase duration while reducing dmg done by the condition. a good example would be a condition deals 1000 dmg over 5 seconds. if I have 300 expertise it is a 20% condi duration increase so I do 1200 dmg over 6 seconds. if I go for condi dmg it would be smth like 1200 over 5 seconds which is way more dmg per second than the first one.

It is pretty easy to reach the threshould for all the conditions by simply using gear that has condition dmg in it. There are some professions that easily get 100% condi duration if you use the right runes and sigils. since condi duration is capped at 100% putting more points into condi dmg is the only available option to further increase your condi dmg. don't forget buff food etc. that's how I think it works.

Yeah, I have 1700 condition damage (CD). It appears I should have geared up expertise more than CD, but I'm not sure how I would pull that off. The only way to get higher expertise on gear is Bringer's, which doesn't have anything in CD.

So, all the runes, sigils, and infusions should have been expertise-based, if I can find them.

Does anybody know how they did the math? The function for CD is straightforward, but I'm not sure how they compared the percentages from expertise without actually including CD into the equation.

@"Daddicus.6128" said:Yeah, I have 1700 condition damage (CD). It appears I should have geared up expertise more than CD, but I'm not sure how I would pull that off. The only way to get higher expertise on gear is Bringer's, which doesn't have anything in CD.

So, all the runes, sigils, and infusions should have been expertise-based, if I can find them.

Does anybody know how they did the math? The function for CD is straightforward, but I'm not sure how they compared the percentages from expertise without actually including CD into the equation.

Ever heard of viper?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Viper%27s

Yes, she is currently wearing full viper ascended armor.

To all: Chieftan Alex added a hugely valuable graph and explanation to the talk page on the wiki (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Talk:Condition_Damage). He also changed the footnote on the table to be clearer, and to have a link to the actual formulas uses.

My bottom line is that I should change all my infusions to expertise, because my full viper gear set has "too much" condition damage when compared to expertise. I also changed my runes from soulbeast to afflicted (she does a lot of poison and bleeding damage). I might one day even look into swapping a viper piece or two for bringer, unless I hit a cap on expertise. (It's going to take a while before I can afford all the +5 expertise/+9 agony infusions I need.)