Explosion on Scrapper Hammer

Kodama.6453

So they implemented this change here for scrapper's hammer:Electro-whirl: This skill is now considered an explosion for the purposes of traits.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate that they introduced an explosion in hammer's kit (would actually be nice to also get one on rifle and pistol, Fragmentation Shot, Jump Shot, or Blunderbuss are great candidates), since it allows for even more synergy with the newly reworked Explosives trait line.

But I am also a player who cares for thematical flavour and.... from all the skills in the hammer's kit, wouldn't rocket charge have been a better candidate for an explosion? Yes, it will have less uptime, but still I think that attaching a rocket to our hammer would count more as an explosion than whirling around with electricity.

@"Kodama.6453" said:Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate that they introduced an explosion in hammer's kit (would actually be nice to also get one on rifle and pistol, Fragmentation Shot, Jump Shot, or Blunderbuss are great candidates), since it allows for even more synergy with the newly reworked Explosives trait line.

Having Fragmentation Shot being an Explosive - even if it required traiting Chemical Rounds (although that's a cross-traitline synergy I'd find a bit backwards) - would finally make the AA somewhat usable. Maybe even too strong.

Regarding Condi-Engi and Kits: I dislike the lack of identity most kits have. Sure, Pistols are aweful. But it doesn't help that condition damage is scattered across basically all Kits. It's also kinda frustrating when playing power. I'd rather see more distinctive uses for them. Not talking "Purity of Purpose" but a clearer vision what those are supposed to do. For example, I hate how Bomb AA is power while the rest is so condition focussed. It's not even real hybrid. It's just weird. Plus, there is the issue of Grenade- and Bombkit not having any meaningful interactions within the Kit itself which makes people just spam the skills on CD. In this sense, Medkit and EG are so much better in design.

@"Yasai.3549" said:I welcome Explosive on Electro Whirl.

More Vuln for me and without needing to take the Disable trait from Scrapper Master tier.Scrapper could use more Vuln application to make it truly terrifying in melee.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with hammer getting an explosion in the kit at all. I actually like it, since the explosives rework, there are quite some nice synergies for scrapper in that trait line. Like the barrier on explosive entrance or the trait that lets you deal more damage if you are at a higher health % than the enemy (easy to do with scrapper's perma barriers), which you can now also trigger the heal on with hammer!

I just thought that they kinda picked the wrong skill for this. Nothing about electric whirl really says "explosion" for me, while rocket charge would have fit thematically way better in my opinion.

@Xaylin.1860 said:

@"Kodama.6453" said:Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate that they introduced an explosion in hammer's kit (would actually be nice to also get one on rifle and pistol, Fragmentation Shot, Jump Shot, or Blunderbuss are great candidates), since it allows for even more synergy with the newly reworked Explosives trait line.

Having Fragmentation Shot being an Explosive - even if it required traiting Chemical Rounds (although that's a cross-traitline synergy I'd find a bit backwards) - would finally make the AA somewhat usable. Maybe even too strong.

Regarding Condi-Engi and Kits: I dislike the lack of identity most kits have. Sure, Pistols are aweful. But it doesn't help that condition damage is scattered across basically all Kits. It's also kinda frustrating when playing power. I'd rather see more distinctive uses for them. Not talking "Purity of Purpose" but a clearer vision what those are supposed to do. For example, I hate how Bomb AA is power while the rest is so condition focussed. It's not even real hybrid. It's just weird. Plus, there is the issue of Grenade- and Bombkit not having any meaningful interactions within the Kit itself which makes people just spam the skills on CD. In this sense, Medkit and EG are so much better in design.

Honestly, I don't even see how making fragmentation shot an explosion could make it too strong.Yes, it is an auto attack, but engineer can already get all the benefits of explosions on the auto attacks of bombs an grenades. Grenades even giving you all these benefits 3 times in an AoE for every auto attack.

I agree that the kits could use an update, btw. I dislike how they are all mixed damage and wish that we would get dedicated kits for power and condition damage. In my opinion, bombs should be the power explosives while grenades are condition damage primarily. Flamethrower, I mentioned this in another thread, should embrace the focus on burn and therefore the auto attack should deal less power damage and get short stacks of burn with every tick.

@"Kodama.6453" said:

I just thought that they kinda picked the wrong skill for this. Nothing about electric whirl really says "explosion" for me, while rocket charge would have fit thematically way better in my opinion.

Imo they should put Explosion on the Hammer autos instead.Hammer for Scrapper is something like a rocket powered Pile Driver and it would both be great gameplay wise and thematically for each hit of the Auto chain perform an Explosion.

This is great for many reasons because while Hammer auto chain does give Might, it isn't used often because Scrappers do not wanna camp weapons for long.But if the auto chain was made an explosion it could potentially open up the use of Sharpnel for Scrapper to apply Cripple and stick to their targets better.

@Kodama.6453 said:Honestly, I don't even see how making fragmentation shot an explosion could make it too strong.Yes, it is an auto attack, but engineer can already get all the benefits of explosions on the auto attacks of bombs an grenades. Grenades even giving you all these benefits 3 times in an AoE for every auto attack.Maybe not when compared, for example Grenades. But still, it might be too strong for what ANet wants it to be.

@Kodama.6453 said:I agree that the kits could use an update, btw. I dislike how they are all mixed damage and wish that we would get dedicated kits for power and condition damage. In my opinion, bombs should be the power explosives while grenades are condition damage primarily. Flamethrower, I mentioned this in another thread, should embrace the focus on burn and therefore the auto attack should deal less power damage and get short stacks of burn with every tick.

Same for Grenades, Bombs and FT (although this might require some more reworking of Firearms). I also don't like how Toolkit still caters Turrets. Noooobody is going to run around and smack them. Would be more fun (and make more sense) if it interacted with Toolbelt skills instead.

• 3 weeks later...