The Death of Thief

darren.1064

I believe thief players are just wanting their burst back, a burst that is significant enough to make an impact on the higher sustain that classes have since post patch. They are fully ok with having to out play their opponent avoiding almost all damage all while still hitting the opponent with their rotations and bursts,they just want it to reward them with more than the opponent just shrugging it off. Thief players are not asking for sustain damage nor to be able to duel it out blow for blow in a duel. U say think can have burst or duel but not both, while thief has neither as of now and they are asking for their burst back, that's it. Thief can deal with being not a great dueler if they have a good burst to work with cuz most times burst is all u need to deal with bad players on their carry god sustain builds in a 1v1 if u out play them,just not for 3 minutes like now. Most those potatoe players are the frequent players that want thief nerfed cuz as it stood before thief was never a great 1v1 fuel class, atleast not for last 5 yrs and yet a lot people lose to em and cry cuz their egos hurt lol they must be OP cuz reason can't be just I'm not that good lol no never...

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

soo, this guy wants to be the fastest while stealthing, while bursting, from stealth mind you, all the while being good at 1v1? you are playing the wrong game friend, try dishonored, it should really fulfill your fantasy.oh and ps, thiefs can still obliterate 50%+ of my mesmers hp from stealth 0 counterplay, its just all other classes run bunker shit with endless sustain prot, toughness, your time would be better spent whining about necros 100k+ hp or holo absurd damage with survival, maybe people would take you seriously then.The closest thing you can get is power rev, its like thief but less OOC mobility and no stealth, in turn more sustain and burst, but hey, its harder to play so most thiefs give up and go back to the " bad thief" :D

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I believe thief players are just wanting their burst back, a burst that is significant enough to make an impact on the higher sustain that classes have since post patch. They are fully ok with having to out play their opponent avoiding almost all damage all while still hitting the opponent with their rotations and bursts,they just want it to reward them with more than the opponent just shrugging it off. Thief players are not asking for sustain damage nor to be able to duel it out blow for blow in a duel. U say think can have burst or duel but not both, while thief has neither as of now and they are asking for their burst back, that's it. Thief can deal with being not a great dueler if they have a good burst to work with cuz most times burst is all u need to deal with bad players on their carry god sustain builds in a 1v1 if u out play them,just not for 3 minutes like now. Most those potatoe players are the frequent players that want thief nerfed cuz as it stood before thief was never a great 1v1 fuel class, atleast not for last 5 yrs and yet a lot people lose to em and cry cuz their egos hurt lol they must be OP cuz reason can't be just I'm not that good lol no never...Well i think we have bursty assassin boy with rev, and jumpy dodgy boy with thief many people said rev is like old thief whatever that means. Both are kinda the same just with different flavor. If thief gets burst it shouldn't get mobility with it that is just it or we get another bullshit like Firebrand, that does too many things at the same time.Isn't unavoidable damage kinda toxic gameplay though, why do you people want it so much?

@Vancho.8750 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I believe thief players are just wanting their burst back, a burst that is significant enough to make an impact on the higher sustain that classes have since post patch. They are fully ok with having to out play their opponent avoiding almost all damage all while still hitting the opponent with their rotations and bursts,they just want it to reward them with more than the opponent just shrugging it off. Thief players are not asking for sustain damage nor to be able to duel it out blow for blow in a duel. U say think can have burst or duel but not both, while thief has neither as of now and they are asking for their burst back, that's it. Thief can deal with being not a great dueler if they have a good burst to work with cuz most times burst is all u need to deal with bad players on their carry god sustain builds in a 1v1 if u out play them,just not for 3 minutes like now. Most those potatoe players are the frequent players that want thief nerfed cuz as it stood before thief was never a great 1v1 fuel class, atleast not for last 5 yrs and yet a lot people lose to em and cry cuz their egos hurt lol they must be OP cuz reason can't be just I'm not that good lol no never...Well i think we have bursty assassin boy with rev, and jumpy dodgy boy with thief many people said rev is like old thief whatever that means. Both are kinda the same just with different flavor. If thief gets burst it shouldn't get mobility with it that is just it or we get another kitten like Firebrand, that does too many things at the same time.Isn't unavoidable damage kinda toxic gameplay though, why do you people want it so much?

revs have as much mobility as thief. So why arent they getting their damaged reduced then?

@"Leonidrex.5649" said:soo, this guy wants to be the fastest while stealthing, while bursting, from stealth mind you, all the while being good at 1v1? you are playing the wrong game friend, try dishonored, it should really fulfill your fantasy.oh and ps, thiefs can still obliterate 50%+ of my mesmers hp from stealth 0 counterplay, its just all other classes run bunker kitten with endless sustain prot, toughness, your time would be better spent whining about necros 100k+ hp or holo absurd damage with survival, maybe people would take you seriously then.The closest thing you can get is power rev, its like thief but less OOC mobility and no stealth, in turn more sustain and burst, but hey, its harder to play so most thiefs give up and go back to the " bad thief" :D

Yeah ur right I guess it's better that a high mobile squishy class shouldn't have burst nor sustained dps lmao so the can jump in burst, apply little to no offensive pressure than have to disengage. Thats a awesome class playstyle right there. That sounds like awesome balance right there..... genius.Wow I couldn't imagine this game left up to these geniuses.

Does anybody else agree / disagree that changing a few mechanics would put new thief builds back into play and secure their niche in general ranked pvp?

I think giving them the ability to strike through invulnerability or shields is not a HUGE ask or would be too out of character for thiefs. This makes their team viability much better, and would force enemy teams to actually address the thiefs before a snowball occured

To resolve the stealth problems, they could give each class a new indicator above their utility skills for "there's a thief stealthed in your vicinity."--The "stealth detection" ability would be different depending on classes.--Rangers would have the highest stealth detection, while classes like warriors would have the lowest.--The closer they get to you the higher chance you have of detecting them before they can backstab--At the very least it gives people an idea of "I should be ready to evade as quickly as possible"

Thoughts?-Eros of Ascalon

@darren.1064 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I believe thief players are just wanting their burst back, a burst that is significant enough to make an impact on the higher sustain that classes have since post patch. They are fully ok with having to out play their opponent avoiding almost all damage all while still hitting the opponent with their rotations and bursts,they just want it to reward them with more than the opponent just shrugging it off. Thief players are not asking for sustain damage nor to be able to duel it out blow for blow in a duel. U say think can have burst or duel but not both, while thief has neither as of now and they are asking for their burst back, that's it. Thief can deal with being not a great dueler if they have a good burst to work with cuz most times burst is all u need to deal with bad players on their carry god sustain builds in a 1v1 if u out play them,just not for 3 minutes like now. Most those potatoe players are the frequent players that want thief nerfed cuz as it stood before thief was never a great 1v1 fuel class, atleast not for last 5 yrs and yet a lot people lose to em and cry cuz their egos hurt lol they must be OP cuz reason can't be just I'm not that good lol no never...Well i think we have bursty assassin boy with rev, and jumpy dodgy boy with thief many people said rev is like old thief whatever that means. Both are kinda the same just with different flavor. If thief gets burst it shouldn't get mobility with it that is just it or we get another kitten like Firebrand, that does too many things at the same time.Isn't unavoidable damage kinda toxic gameplay though, why do you people want it so much?

revs have as much mobility as thief. So why arent they getting their damaged reduced then?I wish but the bursty boy isn't as mobile it sticks to you like glue but when it fucks up it can't fuck off, usually they are kinda stuck in the fight and they can't zippity zap around the map to get the caps.

@Vancho.8750 said:

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:I believe thief players are just wanting their burst back, a burst that is significant enough to make an impact on the higher sustain that classes have since post patch. They are fully ok with having to out play their opponent avoiding almost all damage all while still hitting the opponent with their rotations and bursts,they just want it to reward them with more than the opponent just shrugging it off. Thief players are not asking for sustain damage nor to be able to duel it out blow for blow in a duel. U say think can have burst or duel but not both, while thief has neither as of now and they are asking for their burst back, that's it. Thief can deal with being not a great dueler if they have a good burst to work with cuz most times burst is all u need to deal with bad players on their carry god sustain builds in a 1v1 if u out play them,just not for 3 minutes like now. Most those potatoe players are the frequent players that want thief nerfed cuz as it stood before thief was never a great 1v1 fuel class, atleast not for last 5 yrs and yet a lot people lose to em and cry cuz their egos hurt lol they must be OP cuz reason can't be just I'm not that good lol no never...Well i think we have bursty assassin boy with rev, and jumpy dodgy boy with thief many people said rev is like old thief whatever that means. Both are kinda the same just with different flavor. If thief gets burst it shouldn't get mobility with it that is just it or we get another kitten like Firebrand, that does too many things at the same time.Isn't unavoidable damage kinda toxic gameplay though, why do you people want it so much?

revs have as much mobility as thief. So why arent they getting their damaged reduced then?I wish but the bursty boy isn't as mobile it sticks to you like glue but when it kitten up it can't kitten off, usually they are kinda stuck in the fight and they can't zippity zap around the map to get the caps.

Once again you don't know what you're talking about. Shiro power rev has: Phase Traversal which is spammable, Unrelenting Assault, and not even to mention Frigid Blitz which is on the axe. Rev's can indeed "stick to you like glue."

@darren.1064 said:

As I have said..God Complex, they can't really play a burst spec like a rev, they lack the actual skill level to play a burst spec that doesn't rely on stealth to cover all the mistakes. Revenant hasn't got :
shadow/infiltrator return
to return you safely back at 1200 range if you screw up..there is no 5-2-2-2 to run away...no shortbow 5 to teleport upward where nobody can catch you.

No they just have heavier armor, blocks, Facet of Light AND Enchanted Daggers (if we're only talking power rev), Warding Rift, Surge of the Mists and Unrelenting Assault. All of the last 3 function as blocks/impermeability. So truly, you have no point. We have stealth while they have all of that. Next.

There is no next ...you want a burst/duellist hybrid..play rev...assuming you can handle it...and it doesn't appear so....

@"Vancho.8750" said:This is really funny cause every thief main is being melodramatic, OU NOWS, thief can't oneshot people anymore like the last kitten patch and get all points. It is not even benched like most professions when they get the nerf bat, it is still meta. It is not like the previous season thieves were forcing people deeper in the bunker role since you couldn't catch up to them and they did hyper damage, thieves had their fun but now "ou my the turntables", everyone is on some type of bunker build, it is not like it wasn't expected.Thief meta just sucks for everyone else.I don't see much whining from warriors since they are kinda meh this patch, not bad, not good but still kinda there doing their thing , but then again rolling core necro or fb would probably be better.Calm your mammaries the current bunker builds would get a shave and thief will be able to stab them to death again, it is not like there aren't viable builds for thief.

shortbow 5 is meta not thief

@Arheundel.6451 said:

As I have said..God Complex, they can't really play a burst spec like a rev, they lack the actual skill level to play a burst spec that doesn't rely on stealth to cover all the mistakes. Revenant hasn't got :
shadow/infiltrator return
to return you safely back at 1200 range if you screw up..there is no 5-2-2-2 to run away...no shortbow 5 to teleport upward where nobody can catch you.

No they just have heavier armor, blocks, Facet of Light AND Enchanted Daggers (if we're only talking power rev), Warding Rift, Surge of the Mists and Unrelenting Assault. All of the last 3 function as blocks/impermeability. So truly, you have no point. We have stealth while they have all of that. Next.

There is no next ...you want a burst/duellist hybrid..play rev...assuming you can handle it...and it doesn't appear so....

rev is ez cheese

@"Project exa.3204" said:Does anybody else agree / disagree that changing a few mechanics would put new thief builds back into play and secure their niche in general ranked pvp?

I think giving them the ability to strike through invulnerability or shields is not a HUGE ask or would be too out of character for thiefs. This makes their team viability much better, and would force enemy teams to actually address the thiefs before a snowball occured

To resolve the stealth problems, they could give each class a new indicator above their utility skills for "there's a thief stealthed in your vicinity."--The "stealth detection" ability would be different depending on classes.--Rangers would have the highest stealth detection, while classes like warriors would have the lowest.--The closer they get to you the higher chance you have of detecting them before they can backstab--At the very least it gives people an idea of "I should be ready to evade as quickly as possible"

Thoughts?-Eros of Ascalon

thief would have the highest stealth detection, and also give them the ability to disarm traps

I don't see any reason to find any balance. If some class will lose 1 vs 1 to any other class - this is ok. Not like ? change class.Also don't see any problem if we have anticlass, - this some specific class always lose vs others specific class.This is common thing, and people who play thief should take that as rule.

Just another salty post from bad/average player crying about their class on the forums. Trying to voice his opinion without any ground to step on. Thief mains can cry about that their class is one dimensional, fulfilling only role for a lot of years - roamer/+1. The only thing you guys can wish for is new elite specialization from the new expansion that let's you side node/team fight and radically changes the gameplay of the class. For the current balance thief is in perfect meta spot: dp dd best in class mobility, sustain in terms of stealth, dodges, condi cleanse and has winning roaming 1v1 vs mirage, herald because the thief controls the fight on the roads because of the amount of engage/re-engage, stealth (shadow arts is op if not busted trait line), cheesy deadeyes, condi thiefs. If dp thief has the herald dmg then why play mirage/herald when they don't have the mobility/safety of thief. It's just doesn't make sense. Maybe buff and rework sword 2/3 in sword/dagger build which is more of a team fighter and feels more like herald/duelist and not +1/decap bot. But still every build outside of dp/deadeye("cheese" build) is abusing 1 skill/the amount you can spam one skill because of the thief nature: pistol whip/ sword dagger, old condi thief and even new condi thief to some degree. Go watch/ask some high tier thiefs about their opinion and then go brag about your 10k games, 600lvls to prove some experience which is like bragging about 40k achievement points. Omega LUL.

@"infobg.8071" said:Just another salty post from bad/average player crying about their class on the forums. Trying to voice his opinion without any ground to step on. Thief mains can cry about that their class is one dimensional, fulfilling only role for a lot of years - roamer/+1. The only thing you guys can wish for is new elite specialization from the new expansion that let's you side node/team fight and radically changes the gameplay of the class. For the current balance thief is in perfect meta spot: dp dd best in class mobility, sustain in terms of stealth, dodges, condi cleanse and has winning roaming 1v1 vs mirage, herald because the thief controls the fight on the roads because of the amount of engage/re-engage, stealth (shadow arts is op if not busted trait line), cheesy deadeyes, condi thiefs. If dp thief has the herald dmg then why play mirage/herald when they don't have the mobility/safety of thief. It's just doesn't make sense. Maybe buff and rework sword 2/3 in sword/dagger build which is more of a team fighter and feels more like herald/duelist and not +1/decap bot. But still every build outside of dp/deadeye("cheese" build) is abusing 1 skill/the amount you can spam one skill because of the thief nature: pistol whip/ sword dagger, old condi thief and even new condi thief to some degree. Go watch/ask some high tier thiefs about their opinion and then go brag about your 10k games, 600lvls to prove some experience which is like bragging about 40k achievement points. Omega LUL.

did you notice that you can only say thief can kill 2 of 9 professions? You also notice that thief has become a one dimensional class. Good job for having some level of comprehension. However, what's the point of having the highest mobility if you do absolutely 0 damage? Why should thief be banished to fighting in the "roads" when no other class is? And if thief doesn't do any damage when fighting in the roads, then what is even the point? Playing thief has effectively become a 4v5 in gold and plat. Unlike other classes with plentiful amounts of skills and traits that provide: invulnerability, blocks, damage nullification, or even healing skills that reimburse you for all the damage you would take; we're simply asking for damage. We don't need all that.

damage + mobility + no counterplay = bad time.in conquest every second counts, it doesnt matter that rev can deal more damage while they +1 if thief arrives 5s earlier and wins the fight on the sides already, most classes when pulled off get to be pulled off for a while and wont be able to fight back and have to wait to recover CD/health. sometimes shall push is all it takes.Now you gotta find those small pushes instead of traversing the map at the speed of light and booping bruisers for 60% hp from stealth.As it was said before, when holo/ranger/necro/rev and other bustaaad specs get some shaves thief will be fine, if you want to have different role learn different class.You dont see druids complaining they cant roam, necros that they cant stealth, its not their role.

@"Leonidrex.5649" said:damage + mobility + no counterplay = bad time.in conquest every second counts, it doesnt matter that rev can deal more damage while they +1 if thief arrives 5s earlier and wins the fight on the sides already, most classes when pulled off get to be pulled off for a while and wont be able to fight back and have to wait to recover CD/health. sometimes shall push is all it takes.Now you gotta find those small pushes instead of traversing the map at the speed of light and booping bruisers for 60% hp from stealth.As it was said before, when holo/ranger/necro/rev and other bustaaad specs get some shaves thief will be fine, if you want to have different role learn different class.You dont see druids complaining they cant roam, necros that they cant stealth, its not their role.

I'm really honored that you took the time out of your day to find the energy to comment on my post, but you haven't really contributed anything that I haven't already debunked already. Currently your +1 example doesn't even make sense because once again: "Thief doesn't do damage anymore."

@darren.1064 said:

@"Leonidrex.5649" said:damage + mobility + no counterplay = bad time.in conquest every second counts, it doesnt matter that rev can deal more damage while they +1 if thief arrives 5s earlier and wins the fight on the sides already, most classes when pulled off get to be pulled off for a while and wont be able to fight back and have to wait to recover CD/health. sometimes shall push is all it takes.Now you gotta find those small pushes instead of traversing the map at the speed of light and booping bruisers for 60% hp from stealth.As it was said before, when holo/ranger/necro/rev and other bustaaad specs get some shaves thief will be fine, if you want to have different role learn different class.You dont see druids complaining they cant roam, necros that they cant stealth, its not their role.

I'm really honored that you took the time out of your day to find the energy to comment on my post, but you haven't really contributed anything that I haven't already debunked already. Currently your +1 example doesn't even make sense because once again: "Thief doesn't do damage anymore."

no, bad thiefs dont do damage anymore, the ones that took time to learn their class can still contribute

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Leonidrex.5649 said:damage + mobility + no counterplay = bad time.in conquest every second counts, it doesnt matter that rev can deal more damage while they +1 if thief arrives 5s earlier and wins the fight on the sides already, most classes when pulled off get to be pulled off for a while and wont be able to fight back and have to wait to recover CD/health. sometimes shall push is all it takes.Now you gotta find those small pushes instead of traversing the map at the speed of light and booping bruisers for 60% hp from stealth.As it was said before, when holo/ranger/necro/rev and other bustaaad specs get some shaves thief will be fine, if you want to have different role learn different class.You dont see druids complaining they cant roam, necros that they cant stealth, its not their role.

no, bad thiefs dont do damage anymore, the ones that took time to learn their class can still contribute

I've gone top 100 multiple times and once again, i've been playing for years. Idk how many games I have but its in the thousands. I probably have more games on thief than you do overall. So please don't tell me that I'm a bad thief when I've put in years of learning to perfect the profession. I know every skill, trait, utility and elite. I kill streamers, I play in plat. This isn't a problem of bad thieves, this is a problem of all thieves. However, if other classes are allowed to be bad and still do damage: ranger, necro, guardian. Then why aren't thieves able to currently scavenge together a build? The entire thief thread is full of thieves asking if there's a single viable build to even play anymore. I doubt any other class currently has that problem. The answer to their question is no, thief has no viable build to play right now because people like you just complain that thief is still OP when it can't even do anything. So I would highly recommend that you do some introspection to become a better player and ask yourself what you can do better to kill thieves, and if you're feeling like you're still having trouble with thieves right now then oh buddy. I can promise you its not the thieves that are the problem but you yourself.

@"darren.1064" said:"Thief doesn't do damage anymore."

It does, just not to bunker/duelist builds

Mesmers, power heralds or other thieves die to thief easy. Rest of the meta are either hard counters to thief since day one or bunkers.

It's funny when mesmer is bad and engineer is good, thieves also become bad. "Mesmer > Engineer > Thief > Mesmer", delete mesmer from the equation and you have "Engineer > Thief" :P

@Tayga.3192 said:

@"darren.1064" said:"Thief doesn't do damage anymore."

It does, just not to bunker/duelist builds

Mesmers, power heralds or other thieves die to thief easy. Rest of the meta are either hard counters to thief since day one or bunkers.

It's funny when mesmer is bad and engineer is good, thieves also become bad. "Mesmer > Engineer > Thief > Mesmer", delete mesmer from the equation and you have "Engineer > Thief" :P

once again, thief is able to kill two of the other 8 professions? That's balanced to you?

@"darren.1064" said:Congratulations! Now realize that power and non-cheese thief hasn't been good for several metas! Then we'll be halfway there

It was pretty good in the meta just before the patch and in scourge/fb meta. It even had a point where you could play S/D, S/P and D/P.

Thief is very good or very bad depending on the meta, it's affected more than any other class.

Also "power thief"? Condi thief was never any good lol I could easily kill them 1v2 in my usual rating.