Anyone use Eternal Life in Open World Reaper Builds?

Josiah.2967

I have recently been playing with it. I know it competes with Death Perception, but having Life Force running from mob to mob is always nice. The little bit of protection is nice as well. I am finding it a nice alternative to Minion Masters for open world PVE. I do not believe it's viable for endgame Fractals/Raids. It could be sufficient for Strike missions if you need more...

I do not see anyone else using it in open world PVE, which makes me question my own experience.

I do also think that in pve this skill has only a minor niche, which is support scourge.

Reapers are losing way too much damage when not picking death perception, because if you drop that trait you have to pick decimate defenses over soul eater which costs another 10% of damage. You lose more than 20% of damage in shroud (2x 10% via multipliers + the reduced crit-chance).

If you feel you lack life force generation picking signet of undeath, signet of vampirism and signets of suffering over close to death costs less damage (only 10%) than dropping death perception and grants you more utility and survivability.

Eternal Life is a bandaid for the players that complained about starting pvp matches with 0 life force. In every other scenario it's pretty sub-par.

The trait is only good to refill lifeforce while out of combat.It doesn't have any other use.It's one of the most useless traits necro has, and won't ever see any play unless other things get insanely hard nerfed or this trait buffed, or other things buffed that actually heavily benefit from the trait, which there's none right now

You don't actually need the life force from it. Reaper has plenty of access to life force. I use spectral grasp for example because it does everything I want it to do and will bring me to full most times as well as provide me the chill to deal extra damage. Greatsword and Axe/warhorn are both good with life force. I use Your Soul is mine and Spectral walk which also grant life force in some situations.

There really isn't a need for it, even on Scourge. Scourge is the much more greedy spec too when it comes to life force. Signet of Undeath is what I take. I basically use my raid build in Open world since I don't need to worry so much about stunbreaks since NOTHING in open world is threatening enough for me to warrant it. I stopped using Off hand dagger too. Preferring Scepter/torch and Scepter/Warhorn. Although some like Sand Savant, I only use that trait when I'm on a healing build. I much prefer placing shades with that 8 second cool down it makes it very effective in events. Especially high level areas.

The spear has very low damage and life force generation (unfortunately it was not included in the underwater combat rework). I’d consider using Eternal life there, but Signets of Suffering (trait) + Signet of Undeath and Signet of Spite could be better.

I use Eternal Life when out of combat, to help me gaining back life force.

I often take it on my Scourge healer, now having extra vitality is no longer as important.

I run it open world mostly because I don't have access to much LF generation vs how often Im jumping into it.Yes I can't run DP because of it. But I still have zero issues with cric, I just miss the 300 Ferocity. Which in open world.. doesn't actually make much difference.Now if I went in dungeons, strikes etc I would take DP over EL as I wouldn't have to worry about might/take spite.(And there's the kicker, Yes I don't run Spite, I've been trying out DM for a while for the 300 power which has been fun)

@"Anchoku.8142" said:Eternal Life is a wasted slot and cheap gimmick. Having said that, the next "balance" will probably slash LF generation across all Necro builds to make EL mandatory.

I doubt they would do that. They would really have to buff Great Sword damage to justify that... Honestly I believe Great Sword should do the damage, shroud should be used for defense. Would be easier to balance that way.

@Josiah.2967 said:

@"Anchoku.8142" said:Eternal Life is a wasted slot and cheap gimmick. Having said that, the next "balance" will probably slash LF generation across all Necro builds to make EL mandatory.

I doubt they would do that. They would really have to buff Great Sword damage to justify that... Honestly I believe Great Sword should do the damage, shroud should be used for defense. Would be easier to balance that way.

then you would have to completely redisign shroud

• 4 weeks later...

@Shena Fu.5792 said:

@Black Storm.6974 said:I use Eternal Life when out of combat, to help me gaining back life force.

Interesting. Because with templates and shortcut keys, one can quickly switch between in-combat and out-of-combat traits. However, this is extra micromanagement. And sometimes you may forget to switch to the proper template at the wrong time.

Or...leave the trait panel open, switch to Eternal Life, wait those 5-8 seconds till you get to full, and click on the trait you were using before. No need to switch between templates. Unless you're not using Soul Reaping...but then... why aren't you using Soul Reaping??