I really hope there's a balance patch tomorrow

mrauls.6519

@Supreme.3164 said:

@Heika.5403 said:Today is the aniversary of GW1, so i expect that the patch is mainly related to that event. It'll be nice if they, at least, can plublish a note about the balance plans. A list of pending things they are working more than detailed changes and a roadmap.

At this point, better that they delay it and add things that are still in the pending list, so the change become notable. Something like
nerf the ouliners + nerf the sustain in competitive modes to a reasonable level + do the rest of pending global tradeoffs and rework the rest of the specializations that didn't receive any before
. Its time to equal the balance and be more equitative. Let's see if they can accomplish all that for the next big balance patch.

You can't add a trade off to elites which includes trade off to start with, the idea of trade off only applies to elite which add something to the main mechanic without taking anything away, in that sense elites that replace main mechanic cannot be subjected to any trade off...this is something the devs explained themselves

Yes, but there are some pending ones that doesn't include a trafe off to start with. Each one can have their own biased vision, but what matters is the one from developers when they decide it. Watching your icon/avatar i remember that they also talked about Firebrand as an example of how have a bit of all added could end in too much and that will be difficult to balance but that they'll have to find a way to address that too. So let's see when they finally decide which of the rest ones need a trade off or not what reasons they give and which trade offs are developed. For now simply waiting. I hope that they, at least, make a preview with enough time to theorycrafting about the changes and that they properly split the balance between gamemodes next time, as the sustain requirements are different in each game mode, idem for stats/gear.

@"mrauls.6519" said:I'm not looking for any specific buffs or nerfs. I just want to know that anet is still trying to establish balance in PvP. It's been a hot minute since we've seen anything..

Pretty sure COVID-19 put a nice kink in their development scheduling.

I know they're working from home, but that incorporates a lot more added distraction & difficulty communicating than what I think most people are realizing.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"mrauls.6519" said:I'm not looking for any specific buffs or nerfs. I just want to know that anet is still trying to establish balance in PvP. It's been a hot minute since we've seen anything..

Probably, but they should tell us if that is the case.

@Xca.9721 said:

Probably, but they should tell us if that is the case.

An informal forum post would be nice if this is the case. Even I work from home now, but I still operate as normal..

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

I know they're working from home, but that incorporates a lot more added distraction & difficulty communicating than what I think most people are realizing.If they’re not used to remote work then it could. I haven’t had to make any development changes with my team other than releasing two critical updates that we would’ve otherwise waited for.

Apples and oranges but telework in software development should see almost no hiccups if they have their act together. This sounds contradictory to my first statement but I wouldn’t be surprised if ANet used it as an excuse for a slower update cadence.

@phokus.8934 said:

I know they're working from home, but that incorporates a lot more added distraction & difficulty communicating than what I think most people are realizing.If they’re not used to remote work then it could. I haven’t had to make any development changes with my team other than releasing two critical updates that we would’ve otherwise waited for.

Apples and oranges but telework in software development should see almost no hiccups if they have their act together. This sounds contradictory to my first statement but I wouldn’t be surprised if ANet used it as an excuse for a slower update cadence.

And what about those of them with kids or other dependents? Or if any of them have become sick?

There's a big difference between normal working from home and working from home under current circumstances that I feel people just aren't realising or appreciating. Just because it effects you in a certain way doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

Let's be real next update is prob just coefficient changes again. Ur telling me working from home makes it so hard to play the game, watch competitive play and decide on further changes in coefficients to maybe lessen this mess? Implemented coefficient changes I'd imagine cant be to difficult when u got things like SNL and other talk shows continuing to provide skits and shows all while working from home etc.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Drennon.7190 said:Bait and switch. They once again made promises that they can't keep. I feel stupid for trusting them and returning after a 3 year break.

Freak'n covid has their offices shut down and has them working from home, As an avid critic of A-net at times I feel this is not a good time. Lets wait and see what happens, their rigs in their house might not be nearly as strong as their work rigs AND they might have kids and family at home who will make it harder to focus on their work . When it comes to class changes id rather them take their time than bork and entire class into unplayable shenanigans.

this is a new team, not their fault a pandemic happened RIGHT after they took over and made their promises.

Really no COVID isnt much of an excuse. They are coders and testers. Coders and testers can work from home have meeting online run test simulations and play tests on the non-public server. I don't see how this would actually impact the ability to develop. Its an excuse.

Everyone is adapting, people lucky enough (the devs) to still have been able to work, should be a better position than MANY others right now. They are actually lucky.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

And what about those of them with kids or other dependents? Or if any of them have become sick?

There's a big difference between normal working from home and working from home under current circumstances that I feel people just aren't realising or appreciating. Just because it effects you in a certain way doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

I won’t get into the full extent of the company I work for or even my team. However, that is still no excuse for a lag in deliverables. We are working professionals and our trainer who visits new clients has two kids and has to do remote training. There’s an expectation that you have to get your work done but also take care of your family. Hell, a good portion of my development team is in China and there hasn’t been a single sprint where we were behind. And that’s saying a lot because home internet in China is bad.

I’m all about that work life balance but this is no excuse for lack of work being done.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Well, what were your expectations before the Covid outbreak, and are you seriously expecting things to have 'improved' under the current circumstances?

This^ this thread would still exist if the covid had not happened minus the mention of covid obviously. They promised changes on a more reasonable timeline every year, people praise them as they proceed to follow cadence for a month or so before going back to same ol same ol. We fall for it every time lol.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Their literally one of the few professions least effected by working from home if prepared properly.

Sadly not true. They use expensive computer equipment that will require moving to people houses. Game development also requires heavy integration from several areas simultaneously. Not as easy when everyone is working from a silo.

However, sPvP devs have no excuse. None of what they do needs any of this. 2-3 weeks delays due to the virus are normal, but honestly, GW2 sPvP devs have been performing pretty poorly. Trying to give them excuses, considering how terrible their performance was and is, is a no go.

If a balance patch does come in I would hope and believe they will nerf the right things. Yes the current global situation has effected every games company and of course we need to look at the big picture, put things in perspective in that sense. Saying that it has been a long time now since there has been any meaningful changes in pvp balance.

There are clear and obvious things that are wrong with the several specs.

Lets see what most of us hope will happen.

@otto.5684 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Their literally one of the few professions least effected by working from home if prepared properly.

Sadly not true. They use expensive computer equipment that will require moving to people houses. Game development also requires heavy integration from several areas simultaneously. Not as easy when everyone is working from a silo.

However, sPvP devs have no excuse. None of what they do needs any of this. 2-3 weeks delays due to the virus are normal, but honestly, GW2 sPvP devs have been performing pretty poorly. Trying to give them excuses, considering how terrible their performance was and is, is a no go.LOL no. They use VPN from home to access the corp. network, test lab, etc. and use a thin net client to get a desktop on the mainframe. This works for Unix, Windows, you name it. I was a network engineer for years. This isnt even a new concept we did exactly the same thing 20 years ago with Devs all over the world. 20 years ago!

Well, here's my experience with the difference between working in office and working at home:

• At one point I was working at a small patent attorney's law office.
  • While in the office, when all the workers were there, if I needed to ask a question I could turn around in a chair and ask someone a question.
  • If I needed paper work from someone, I could walk across a room and grab it myself.
  • Everything we needed to get work done, was all in one place.

But Then ->

• During an awkward move while the attorney was relocating to a completely different state, things got weird, and we were working from home.
  • Now to ask someone a question, I have to wait on texts, phone calls, emails or for people to get into voice chat together.
  • If I need paper work, I'm waiting on emails, faxes, and becoming distracted while waiting. I mean seriously, you go grocery shopping directly after you send a request to someone, assuming it will take them 30+ minutes to respond. But as soon as you get into your car and get to the end of the road, they surprisingly respond, and now you are on a 2 hour adventure before getting home. It's just a lot of time wasted to finish an office action, that could have been completed in under 5 minutes if everyone had been at work in the office together.
  • And this isn't to mention all of the other very distracting shit going on while working from home. It is very easy to get trolloled into elongated breaks that you should not be taking when you are at home. This is especially true if there are small children present.

So I'd say it's safe to say that COVID-19 has definitely slowed down everything in the world, including Arenanet.

You guys gotta give them some leniency on this one.

@Moradorin.6217 said:

However, sPvP devs have no excuse. None of what they do needs any of this. 2-3 weeks delays due to the virus are normal, but honestly, GW2 sPvP devs have been performing pretty poorly. Trying to give them excuses, considering how terrible their performance was and is, is a no go.LOL no. They use VPN from home to access the corp. network, test lab, etc. and use a thin net client to get a desktop on the mainframe. This works for Unix, Windows, you name it. I was a network engineer for years. This isnt even a new concept we did exactly the same thing 20 years ago with Devs all over the world. 20 years ago!

Exactly. I use a VPN to access my powerful PC at work which has all the permissions and apps to access the servers etc. I just use my laptop and a large monitor at home.

@Moradorin.6217 said:

Ya, but you need specific computers and equipment for graphic design and sound design. Your home computer connected remotely cannot do that, unless you can VPN to that specific computer. Sure, sPvP devs should have no issues, but new content will have delays.

@otto.5684 said:

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Their literally one of the few professions least effected by working from home if prepared properly.

Ya, but you need specific computers and equipment for graphic design and sound design. Your home computer connected remotely cannot do that, unless you can VPN to that specific computer. Sure, sPvP devs should have no issues, but new content will have delays.

It doesn't take much to allow them to shift their work computers to their homes, especially since they said they have been working from home since March 6th which means they had likely already prepped to make that shift prior to that date. With this in mind they have still been able to push out the April Fool's update on April 1st, as well as the SAB update (new skins and all) on April 14th. They even pushed out the Steel and Fire Living World update on March 17th which included the Eye of the North hub, the legendary trinket, the Strike Missions changes as well as a few minor balance changes. Now I don't know if they considered that update to be within their "4 to 6 week" cadence for releases, but considering what they changed it looked more like it was one of those reactionary hotfixes that is meant to fit between the larger balance updates that they were referencing.

Again everything that they have released, update wise, within the last month and a half has all been done from their at home work setup. So what is the excuse for them not, at the very least, communicating on any sort of delays or information regarding a larger balance update since they have missed that 4 to 6 week cadence they talked about?

@Moradorin.6217 said:

@Drennon.7190 said:Bait and switch. They once again made promises that they can't keep. I feel stupid for trusting them and returning after a 3 year break.

Freak'n covid has their offices shut down and has them working from home, As an avid critic of A-net at times I feel this is not a good time. Lets wait and see what happens, their rigs in their house might not be nearly as strong as their work rigs AND they might have kids and family at home who will make it harder to focus on their work . When it comes to class changes id rather them take their time than bork and entire class into unplayable shenanigans.

this is a new team, not their fault a pandemic happened RIGHT after they took over and made their promises.

Really no COVID isnt much of an excuse. They are coders and testers. Coders and testers can work from home have meeting online run test simulations and play tests on the non-public server. I don't see how this would actually impact the ability to develop. Its an excuse.

Everyone is adapting, people lucky enough (the devs) to still have been able to work, should be a better position than MANY others right now. They are actually lucky.

being stuck at home, with your family and having more distractions can and will slow down production NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Plus they have OTHER things going on in their life, so yes it is a valid reason. You are part of the problem.. I take it if half the team died from this you would still expect them to pump out content because YOU can't slow down and play the game as a game, and YOU need constant catering too no matter how terrible the content is. Sure make them rush, then when everything is broken and nothing works see how much sympathy you get..

Freaking pandemic preparing to become an epidemic and people are sitting here calling a new team, who had just gotten a foothold lazy when they are stuck at home with their kids and family or even worse might be sick is just baffling.. Its a game. Its not as important as the safety of their family, themselves and those around them and in no way do you have the rite to sit here and judge during a time like this. This is coming from an AVID critic of A-net and someone who chews on their butt-cheeks more than anyone else, and calls them everything from uninspired hacks to lazy dev's and even just bare minimum artists. Like Ive been so hard on them and EVEN I understand that this is beyond them, and this needs to a time of understanding not petulant fits.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@"Drennon.7190" said:Bait and switch. They once again made promises that they can't keep. I feel stupid for trusting them and returning after a 3 year break.

being stuck at home, with your family and having more distractions can and will slow down production NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Plus they have OTHER things going on in their life, so yes it is a valid reason. You are part of the problem.. I take it if half the team died from this you would still expect them to pump out content because YOU can't slow down and play the game as a game, and YOU need constant catering too no matter how terrible the content is. Sure make them rush, then when everything is broken and nothing works see how much sympathy you get..

Freaking pandemic preparing to become an epidemic and people are sitting here calling a new team, who had just gotten a foothold lazy when they are stuck at home with their kids and family or even worse might be sick is just baffling.. Its a game. Its not as important as the safety of their family, themselves and those around them and in no way do you have the rite to sit here and judge during a time like this. This is coming from an AVID critic of A-net and someone who chews on their butt-cheeks more than anyone else, and calls them everything from uninspired hacks to lazy dev's and even just bare minimum artists. Like Ive been so hard on them and EVEN I understand that this is beyond them, and this needs to a time of understanding not petulant fits.

To be clear, I didnt call anyone anything. In not trying to understand each individual who works for Anets plight. What I said and still think is that the "OMG pandemic made me work from home" is not an excuse for programmers to lose the ability to work. ANY coders not just Anets. People posed it as an excuse for Anet. I pointed out its not valid. We all have distractions that are challenge. I can understand that, BUT if I give Anet the benefit of considering them responsible professionals than I cannot really consider all the other excuses of being distracted at home. Professionals who make a shitload of money for coding games are living a dream life and should do everything they can do hold onto it. They should find a way to get it done because lots of other people would love to have those jobs.

The other point I was making is, its pretty shitty to say working from home is bad when many people dont get that option and are broke because of it.

Also family is important which is why Anet coders, I would think, would want to work hard on the GAME since its WHAT THEY DO FOR MONEY and taking care of family means needing to have money. Your argument about the pandemic suggestion it makes them unable to work because they are stuck in a house possibly with family. OMG nooo not family how ever will they be able to endure and work from home in comfy clothing. OMG nooo! LOL. This view is pretty distorted to see them as victims for having to work at home when ALLOT of people cannot work at all! You sound like another fan boy looking to make points. Im not.

Anet has made too many mistakes with, well everything for me to care to try and give them lame excuses for lack of communication and balance after they themselves said how important it was. I really cannot find many reasons to respect Anet at this point. Sorry its just the truth about what I think of them.

Also obviously things "could" happen which would be valid reasons to excuse delays during this time. That SHOULD go without saying, HOWEVER, THAT IS EXACTLY WHEN COMMUNICATION COMES INTO PLAY BUT THEY DIDNT COMMUCATE ANYTHING ABOUT DELAY OR ANYTHING SO DREAMING UP HYPOTHETICAL COMPLICATIONS TO EXCUSE ANET SEEMS REDICULOUS!

At the very least they need to keep up with communication better if they expect the general player population to remain positive about the present state of balance. Personally, I think had they posted an update in the last month just saying they are still working on balance and aren't sure when the release will be due to COVID (if they had legitimate cause) then this post never would have been started in the first place and this entire topic wouldnt exist so again this is on Anet all the way no matter how you look at it.