Top 3 reasons why raids only attracted a small audience

Swagger.1459

@"TexZero.7910" said:Raids attracted a "small audience" ...

I'm shocked they set out to do exactly what they succeded in doing.It's 2020 and we stil have people trying to blame raids for their own personal lack of "fun".

Like why ?What did this intentionally niche segement of the game do to hurt you given you likely weren't the target audience and didn't care about anything outside of the rewards that you weren't going to legitimately invest yourself into anyway.

Perhaps designing content in such a way that its only meant for a small audience isnt healthy? They are trying to funnel more players into raids now too, and strikes are being added to story content, that impacts my fun and enjoyment of the game(yes ive done all the strikes, including whispers).

Perhaps the majority of players wants access to PVE legendary armor for playing PVE Not a super small section of it? Theres alot of reasons why people hate raids.

I dont hate raids, i dont enjoy them in a large part due to points 1, 2, and 4 of Trevors post above.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Statistic is lie. Explanation:In other mmo I complete ALL raids. Ant these raid I always complete after addons, where attributes is absolete, and we do 10/20 raids 2-5 ppl easy.But in guildwars2 we have great concept - don't push stat's values x size forward. We can say: Zerk is Zerk © meSo I can't take chill roleplay ptv people, and go close the obsolete raid. The raid is same, dps timers exists, mechanic hurts, ppl die..I don't say this is ok, or bad. I say it is.So no magic that only 1-3% complete raids.

for example I am sure will be big boom of player if we remove all timers, and make some achievement not depend form timers in raids. But raids wind come not fast, not each half year, so no reason do it.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"TexZero.7910" said:Raids attracted a "small audience" ...

I'm shocked they set out to do exactly what they succeded in doing.It's 2020 and we stil have people trying to blame raids for their own personal lack of "fun".

Like why ?What did this intentionally niche segement of the game do to hurt you given you likely weren't the target audience and didn't care about anything outside of the rewards that you weren't going to legitimately invest yourself into anyway.

Perhaps designing content in such a way that its only meant for a small audience isnt healthy? They are trying to funnel more players into raids now too, and strikes are being added to story content, that impacts my fun and enjoyment of the game(yes ive done all the strikes, including whispers).

Perhaps the majority of players wants access to PVE legendary armor for playing PVE Not a super small section of it? Theres alot of reasons why people hate raids.

I dont hate raids, i dont enjoy them in a large part due to points 1, 2, and 4 of Trevors post above.

Or perharps it's not a problem that the content has a niche audience. You know what else is niche content PvP and WvW.The real problem always has and always will come back to the Legendary Elephant in the room. People want it, they don't want to work for it like that small group has.

It still doesn't explain why you're gonna blame the mode for your personal lack of fun when there's other options for you to get your rocks off. You want hard content that's less time/organization reliant Fractals exist. You want happy sappy time with friends and no effort the entire open world exist as do dungeons. Having a mode that caters to a smaller audience isn't bad and never was.

Also strikes are hardly raid funnels, they're way too easy to be a raid funnel. Heck they're barely even a hard mode for general PvE.

@Dante.1763 said:Perhaps designing content in such a way that its only meant for a small audience isnt healthy?

To be fair if companies based their content based on the audience it attracts then Guild Wars 2 wouldn't exist and Arenanet would've made a moba instead. The type of content that attracts the most players. I know it's an extreme example and probably stretched but my point is, doing all of the same isn't gonna work forever, you need to branch out and try new things, find new audiences to complement the existing one. Basing game design on what's popular and what attracts the largest audience exclusively isn't very healthy for an MMORPG. Which is why none do it. And it's why this game launched with PVP, WVW, dungeons, jumping puzzles, world bosses and so on, are you sure all the different parts of the game are loved by a huge audience?

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Dante.1763 said:Perhaps designing content in such a way that its only meant for a small audience isnt healthy?

To be fair if companies based their content based on the audience it attracts then Guild Wars 2 wouldn't exist and Arenanet would've made a moba instead.

Um, what? The only reason GW2 DOES exist is because they offer content that attracts a particular kind of player that wasn't getting content offered to them in a way they wanted from other MMO's. Can you clarify? Are you suggesting the people that this game attracts would rather play an MOBA? If that's true, why are they not going off and doing that? What are they still doing here ?

@"Obtena.7952" said:Um, what? The only reason GW2 DOES exist is because they offer content that attracts a particular kind of player that wasn't getting content offered to them in a way they wanted from other MMO's.

That's exactly my point? The argument was that making content for a small audience was unhealthy. By comparison, the audience that is attracted by Guild Wars 2 is smaller than other game types like MOBAs. Judging by audience size is what is unhealthy.

Can you clarify? Are you suggesting the people that this game attracts would rather play an MOBA? If that's true, why are they not going off and doing that? What are they still doing here ?

Obviously not. Let's say this again: there are way more players that are interested in MOBAs than Guild Wars 2, so Guild Wars 2 will by design attract less players, so it will have a smaller audience. If you want, the better question is: "since MOBAs attract more players, why make Guild Wars 2?" And the answer is simple and you said it above: it attracts a different type of player. Smaller audience maybe, but different. Which is exactly why having a variety of offerings in a large game like an MMORPG is important. To attract many different types of players.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Obtena.7952" said:Um, what? The only reason GW2 DOES exist is because they offer content that attracts a particular kind of player that wasn't getting content offered to them in a way they wanted from other MMO's.

That's exactly my point? The argument was that making content for a small audience was unhealthy. By comparison, the audience that is attracted by Guild Wars 2 is smaller than other game types like MOBAs. Judging by audience size is what is unhealthy.

Can you clarify? Are you suggesting the people that this game attracts would rather play an MOBA? If that's true, why are they not going off and doing that? What are they still doing here ?

Obviously not. Let's say this again: there are way more players that are interested in MOBAs than Guild Wars 2, so Guild Wars 2 will by design attract less players, so it will have a smaller audience. If you want, the better question is: "since MOBAs attract more players, why make Guild Wars 2?" And the answer is simple and you said it above: it attracts a
different
type of player. Smaller audience maybe, but different. Which is exactly why having a variety of offerings in a large game like an MMORPG is important. To attract many
different
types of players.

OK I see ... I was confining my thinking to the MMO game space. But still, what you say is also applicable. I don't believe making content for a small audience is unhealthy ... it simply depends on how deep the pockets of that small audience is. :) This game technically COULD have an audience of one ...

20 years ago I was leading 70+ man raids into raid zones that took a weekend to clear (Everquest), while my guild typedchatted and drank beer and had a really good time. GW2 Raids is like a kindergarden, and really far below my expectations of what raids should be like in 2020.

TBH, raids/strikes is the by far the worst content in GW2. Even vanilla dungeons are better.