Argument for Dervish

Aenwyrm.3190

Been thinking about this a lot with the current GW1 anniversary, as well as doing map completion as I work my way through Path of Fire and LW Season 4.

Guardian was made as a mix of monk and paragon, revenant pulls a bit from Ritualist, Thief was really a rework of Assassin.

I think Dervish could stand to come back as a 10th profession. I've seen arguments that it should be an elite spec, but there's enough from it that it could stand to be it's own class.

Scythe could be introduced as a new weapon, their specializations could revolve around the traits from the original (wind prayers, earth prayers, scythe attacks, mysticism)They could pull from elementalist attunements and have a god path to follow that affects their attacks

People really need to understand this: the dervish will not happen. The dervish as a profession is too human focused. Any profession added to the game must be available to all the playable races. It's possible there might be a dervish themed elite spec at some point but it won't have the god and prayer themes of the dervish profession.

@Aenwyrm.3190 said:Been thinking about this a lot with the current GW1 anniversary, as well as doing map completion as I work my way through Path of Fire and LW Season 4.

Guardian was made as a mix of monk and paragon, revenant pulls a bit from Ritualist, Thief was really a rework of Assassin.

I think Dervish could stand to come back as a 10th profession. I've seen arguments that it should be an elite spec, but there's enough from it that it could stand to be it's own class.

Scythe could be introduced as a new weapon, their specializations could revolve around the traits from the original (wind prayers, earth prayers, scythe attacks, mysticism)They could pull from elementalist attunements and have a god path to follow that affects their attacks

Mechanically the Dervish is split between the Revenant and Reaper. There really isn't much it could provide. Reaper gets the scythe aspect and aoe type flash enchantment similarity and Revenant gets more of the mechanical side of it with the legend swapping that changes their fighting style, similar to the avatar forms which could use the exact same skills otherwise but play very differently.

The best chance Dervish has is to become a hammer-wielding Elementalist elite spec that lets you only use Air and Earth Attunements (based on the prayer attributes).

Contrary to popular believe, Dervish isn't too human-centric, outside of the Avatar-gimmick which not everyone used.They were scythe-wielding magic warriors, wearing armour looking mostly like cloth.They are using the term prayers for the Dervish attributes in GW1 because Elementalists already took the 'Earth Magic' attribute and having two "Earth Magic' attributes wasn't to Arenanet's liking.Humans using magic always is praying to the gods, even in GW2.Nothing prevents other races from replicating the Earth and Wind magic without the religious aspect.

@"Fueki.4753" said:The best chance Dervish has is to become a hammer-wielding Elementalist elite spec that lets you only use Air and Earth Attunements (based on the prayer attributes).

Contrary to popular believe, Dervish isn't too human-centric, outside of the Avatar-gimmick which not everyone used.They were scythe-wielding magic warriors, wearing armour looking mostly like cloth.They are using the term prayers for the Dervish attributes in GW1 because Elementalists already took the 'Earth Magic' attribute and having two "Earth Magic' attributes wasn't to Arenanet's liking.Humans using magic always is praying to the gods, even in GW2.Nothing prevents other races from replicating the Earth and Wind magic without the religious aspect.

Vow of Strength!

I actually do love the teardown mechanic. And maybe it could work on elementalist... I'm not too sure though. I'd probably go with them being locked into 1 element, give them weapon swapping and use the other elements as prayers which you can toggle on which would trigger attunment swapping and have a passive bonus to your skills that you could then use a new tear down skill which would be a flip skill for your weapon 5 skill and could be different for each weapon and be unique to the specific element.

So like let's say you're wielding a Staff and you have fire magic as your primary. You conjure the water prayer. Well it would have a passive ability to maybe add the water attunment ability while its active as well as a flash of freezing gust. When you want to use the tear down skill which would be staff 5 it swaps to the specific water element tear down skill which in this case could be Maelstrom. Similarly the Wind prayer could be thunderclap on the staff.

Maybe not. Or maybe. Idk. I'm a bit more on the "Let me be more of a pure Cryomancer or Pyromancer!" Type of person as opposed to just always being the Avatar. I mean I would like the flavor and ability to cosplay Chandra since I'm a huge magic nerd...